2013-2014 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any II lately? Complete date?

It seems like IIs here are trickling out very slowly...

Members don't see this ad.

For anybody that has interviewed already: How was it? Any advice on the questions they asked? How was the tour (shoes?)?

I'm going to have to call the office to see where my interview is, but how did you get from the interview to the tour/lunch?

Thanks! Good luck to everybody!

MD Secondary Application completed and certified 9/16. Still no word of interview invites. I hope I wasn't too late in submitting secondaries.

3.99sGPA and cGPA, 30 MCAT (12PS,10BS,8V)

Members don't see this ad :)
For anybody that has interviewed already: How was it? Any advice on the questions they asked? How was the tour (shoes?)?

I'm going to have to call the office to see where my interview is, but how did you get from the interview to the tour/lunch?

Thanks! Good luck to everybody!

The interview was mostly conversational and about my application, but my interviewer did throw in a few questions about health care reform. Definitely wear comfortable shoes for the tour, we did a lot of walking, and we had to go up and down a few flights of stairs too. I'm not sure how to get from the interview to the tour (my interview was in the afternoon, so I just went to the admissions office for lunch/tour and they took me to my interview afterward), but I assume that someone will help you find the place you want to go. Good luck with your interview!

The interview was mostly conversational and about my application, but my interviewer did throw in a few questions about health care reform. Definitely wear comfortable shoes for the tour, we did a lot of walking, and we had to go up and down a few flights of stairs too. I'm not sure how to get from the interview to the tour (my interview was in the afternoon, so I just went to the admissions office for lunch/tour and they took me to my interview afterward), but I assume that someone will help you find the place you want to go. Good luck with your interview!
Thank you so much!

Just got another brochure from SLU regarding their MD/MPH program. Really wish they would at least extend an II before getting my hopes up like that :oops:

II! Complete early September. OOS 3.8/36. Dates available are Nov. 4th and 5th. Also, does anyone know the difference between the two interview options? It allows me to choose either
MD Interview (St. Louis) or MD Interview (St. Marys Hospital, St. Louis)

The email says:

"For local applicants, or applicants who are planning to drive themselves to their interview, interviews are also available at St. Mary's Hospital (in the SLUCare Ob/Gyn department) or the Anheuser Busch Eye Institute (in the SLUCare Ophthalmology department). If you are interested in interviewing at St. Mary's or ABI, please select a St. Mary's or ABI interview slot. On these dates, the tour and luncheon will still be provided at the Saint Louis University School of Medicine location."

Can anybody comment on the specific differences, or is the St. Marys Hospital option just for IS applicants?

Last edited:
Just got an II too. Really excited, I love the Jesuits :)

For those of you who have been invited/attended interviews at SLU, how long does it take from the point you scheduled your interview until they updated your file with the time of interview and the name of your interviewer?
Thanks

Does anyone have information how interviews with Dr. Michael Graham have been in the past?

For those of you who have been invited/attended interviews at SLU, how long does it take from the point you scheduled your interview until they updated your file with the time of interview and the name of your interviewer?
Thanks

For me, it took about a week. If you need to know earlier (to buy plane tickets), you could call and ask (which is what I did).

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it took about a week. If you need to know earlier (to buy plane tickets), you could call and ask (which is what I did).

Thank you so much. I am local so no need to schedule flight ahead. I am just anxious to know who my interviewer will be. thank you for the nice info.

Does anyone have information how interviews with Dr. Michael Graham have been in the past?

I interviewed with Dr. Graham in 2011. If he's still in the same office, you might get lost trying to find it. I believe his focus is research, so be prepared for him to ask you about yours. He'll also ask the standard interview questions, so be prepared for those. Other than that, he's very laid back, so don't stress. Good luck!

Oh, and he's a big hockey fan, too.

I interviewed with Dr. Graham in 2011. If he's still in the same office, you might get lost trying to find it. I believe his focus is research, so be prepared for him to ask you about yours. He'll also ask the standard interview questions, so be prepared for those. Other than that, he's very laid back, so don't stress. Good luck!

Oh, and he's a big hockey fan, too.

I don't have an interview with SLU (yet), but sounds like I would love talking to this guy. Is he at the school or the hospital (of the two interviewing location choices)?

I could talk hockey for hours, haha. :D

i don't have an interview with slu (yet), but sounds like i would love talking to this guy. Is he at the school or the hospital (of the two interviewing location choices)?

I could talk hockey for hours, haha. :hungover:

+1

Can anyone give any input from last year/previous years on how likely it is to get an interview here in the later months (October-March) if you were complete really early on? I am starting to feel a silent rejection.

Got a brochure in the mail. That means an interview invite is around the corner right? :whistle:

Got a brochure in the mail. That means an interview invite is around the corner right? :whistle:

Is anyone here interviewing this coming Monday? If so, are you attending the informal dinner on Sunday evening?

Just curious how many people actually participate in this.

Is anyone here interviewing this coming Monday? If so, are you attending the informal dinner on Sunday evening?

Just curious how many people actually participate in this.

I didn't hear about that, is that for every Mon interview or just this one? I'm not interviewing this Mon but I think that would be really nice to participate in

II! Complete early September. OOS 3.8/36. Dates available are Nov. 4th and 5th. Also, does anyone know the difference between the two interview options? It allows me to choose either
MD Interview (St. Louis) or MD Interview (St. Marys Hospital, St. Louis)

The email says:

"For local applicants, or applicants who are planning to drive themselves to their interview, interviews are also available at St. Mary's Hospital (in the SLUCare Ob/Gyn department) or the Anheuser Busch Eye Institute (in the SLUCare Ophthalmology department). If you are interested in interviewing at St. Mary's or ABI, please select a St. Mary's or ABI interview slot. On these dates, the tour and luncheon will still be provided at the Saint Louis University School of Medicine location."

Can anybody comment on the specific differences, or is the St. Marys Hospital option just for IS applicants?

I believe there's no difference in the interviews, except for who your interviewer will be. At the AB institute, it will likely be an ophthalmologist. At St.Mary's, it would likely be an Ob/Gyn. They only said "in-state" in the email because you'll have to drive yourself from SLU's main campus to the interview, or vice versa, depending on when you interview.

MD Secondary Application completed and certified 9/16. Still no word of interview invites. I hope I wasn't too late in submitting secondaries.

3.99sGPA and cGPA, 30 MCAT (12PS,10BS,8V)

You posted this after being complete for 13 days!?

You need to prepare yourself for a multiple month wait. Don't expect to hear back from places right away. You will be disappointed.

You posted this after being complete for 13 days!?

You need to prepare yourself for a multiple month wait. Don't expect to hear back from places right away. You will be disappointed.

Wasn't expecting anything, just posting. Some schools are different. In a couple I got interview invites within 2 weeks after secondary.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I didn't hear about that, is that for every Mon interview or just this one? I'm not interviewing this Mon but I think that would be really nice to participate in

Go to your interview tab and browse the interview links. I believe they have one at the start of every week.

I'm interviewing with Dr. Vincent Gibbons, anywhere here have any experience with him?

Is SLU receptive to in the area emails?

I didn't personally send a letter, but their website says this:

If an applicant is planning an interview trip through the St. Louis area, it is appropriate to inquire in advance from the Associate Dean for Admissions whether the applicant has been selected by the Committee for an interview. This inquiry should be made at least three weeks in advance of the anticipated travel. Efforts will be made, whenever possible, to schedule the interview at the applicant's convenience.

http://www.slu.edu/medicine/admissions/how-to-apply/additional-information

Was anyone else told they would find our their status after interview today on the 15th?

I thought they said we would hear back today, but looking at last year it seems like the first day they sent out acceptances was the 16th.

I believe everyone that interviewed with me was told this! Still waiting :(

Anyone know how quick their turnaround is? Will everyone who interviewed prior to Oct 16th hear back? Or just the ones that interviewed significantly earlier than the 16th?

Was anyone else told they would find our their status after interview today on the 15th?
I interviewed with someone on the admissions committee and she told me that they present each candidate in order that you interview and she said they hadn't even started reviewing applicants yet when I interviewed on the 9/17. And they had interviewed a lot of people already by the time I interviewed. I believe she also said that the first ad. com. meeting was on 9/27. I don't know how often the ad. com. meets though. I just know she told me that I shouldn't necessarily anticipate hearing back from them today (10/15).

Hopefully this helps with the anticipation woes.

You might have had your interview already, in which case I apologize if my information is useless.
He's a forensic pathologist, and has a really interesting history working as the medical examiner of St. Louis (he's worked on super high profile cases, and advised for the book that Bones was based off of! ).
I felt like it was an awful interview (I interviewed Sept 23 of this year)- he asked me about all the weaknesses in my application (you have less clinical experience; why didn't you take the exam for EMT-B?; you have no shadowing experiences, etc etc etc). He also didn't seem all that interested in the conversation, and the interview was 15 minutes long, NO JOKE. That being said, I still got accepted, so don't worry if you feel that the interview wasn't your best. Good luck, get some sleep the night before, and rock it!

You might have had your interview already, in which case I apologize if my information is useless.
He's a forensic pathologist, and has a really interesting history working as the medical examiner of St. Louis (he's worked on super high profile cases, and advised for the book that Bones was based off of! ).
I felt like it was an awful interview (I interviewed Sept 23 of this year)- he asked me about all the weaknesses in my application (you have less clinical experience; why didn't you take the exam for EMT-B?; you have no shadowing experiences, etc etc etc). He also didn't seem all that interested in the conversation, and the interview was 15 minutes long, NO JOKE. That being said, I still got accepted, so don't worry if you feel that the interview wasn't your best. Good luck, get some sleep the night before, and rock it!

Last edited:
JUST GOT ACCEPTED BY EMAIL!!!! :D My first acceptance, so excited!

Good to know. I felt like this was the toughest interview I've had so far, and also felt like my interviewer (different guy) was out to get me. Hour and a half of brutality.

Who is your interviewer, if you don't mind me asking? I have an interview with SLU coming and wanna prepare
Thanks

Who is your interviewer, if you don't mind me asking? I have an interview with SLU coming and wanna prepare
Thanks

I'd rather not say. It seemed like most people had really relaxed interviews. And honestly there was nothing I could do to prepare for mine.

ACCEPTED!!!!! So surreal, I don't think I've ever had a happier moment in my life.

Accepted today and so, so happy. Interviewed 9/16. I felt like it was probably my worst interview so far, so this was pretty surprising. A very good surprise, though.

Got my acceptance email!!!
:love::love::love: interviewed 9/17

OH MY GOSH I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!

Accepted today!!! Second time applicant. Was waitlisted last cycle. Received a call 09/09 saying that I didn't have to interview this cycle based on my interview last cycle. After one cycle of heartache I'm finally in!