2013-2014 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got the Pre-Interview rejection letter (East Coast). Good luck to every still in the running!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the Pre-Interview rejection letter (East Coast). Good luck to every still in the running!

This is like watching an epidemic spread on a map... :nailbiting:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the rejection letter this morning. It got sent to my preferred mailing address which is currently in the northeast. Good luck to everyone else!

Got a pre-interview rejection letter yesterday. West Coaster.

It arrived yesterday, but was dated 1/7/14. Oh well, at least now I can stop waiting and don't have to take a flight out to the west coast! Good luck to everyone still in the running :)

I think Stanford should strongly consider the ethical and image-related implications of withholding valuable information from the population of applicants who have vested their interests, efforts and financial resources in interviewing at their school. These applicants are likely competitive at many other schools and I am sure many will remember this excessive month long anticipation (drag) for years to come.

Many understand that with a 6% increase in applicant pool size and perhaps an equally sizable increase in applicant competitiveness, decisions may take longer than originally anticipated to finalize. However it's also reasonable to expect communication of some sort (any sort) regarding the status of the remainder applications and projected timeline if in fact the process has changed to a non-rolling one.

Reactions: 6 users
Been complete since 9/3.

Stanford is an unbelievable reach, so I was fully expecting a letter once they started coming out, but nothing's come my way yet...I wonder about my application that they're still thinking about at this point.

Back to hoping I guess.

Been complete since 9/3.

Stanford is an unbelievable reach, so I was fully expecting a letter once they started coming out, but nothing's come my way yet...I wonder about my application that they're still thinking about at this point.

Back to hoping I guess.
Yeah - similarly optimistic here!

Do you guys think more calls will go out today?

I agree with Oceanmist, that they still have not told us, especially when they said "late december-early january" reflects very poorly on the school... I'm sure the admission staff reads this forum, please update us! Even if to just tell us that decisions wont come out until march -.-

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I've been anxiously checking my mail for the past few days and I haven't received anything. I decided to send an "In The Area" email this afternoon. Here's to hoping that my rejection letter does not awkwardly arrive sometime within the next few days! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like no one that was complete in September or October has received the pre-interview axe?
I will avoid becoming too optimistic...

It looks like no one that was complete in September or October has received the pre-interview axe?
I will avoid becoming too optimistic...

Are you thinking that Stanford hasn't reviewed September and October applications yet?

I still haven't gotten a letter and was complete in mid-September...

Are you thinking that Stanford hasn't reviewed September and October applications yet?

I still haven't gotten a letter and was complete in mid-September...

I was complete 7/30 and haven't gotten the axe yet. I mean, I don't think it's good news that I've been complete for over 5 months, but not rejected yet. At least not to my knowledge. Maybe my mailman feels bad for me, so he went home to burn the letter for me.

Also survived the purge to this day, surprisingly. I'm assuming they ran out of envelopes and I will promptly receive mine as soon as their stocks are resplenished..

Reactions: 6 users
We have people who have received the news all over the country, so the envelopes were not sorted by location. Maybe by last/first name? Has anyone whose name or family starts with one of the last letters received a rejection? Zuzzdo Zywalio, please step up! ;)

Hmm, well, I'm in Cali and have an early alphabet last name, and still no letter. It is coming though! Maybe sorted by hair color- any other brunettes with letters?

Hmm, well, I'm in Cali and have an early alphabet last name, and still no letter. It is coming though! Maybe sorted by hair color- any other brunettes with letters?
my last name is A and in cali. no letter yet !

ahhh rejected... snail mail dated jan 7th.

Also in Cali( 2h from Stanfrod) last name is D, nothing yet!

To add to the idle speculation... my last name begins with a letter toward the end of the alphabet and I live thousands of miles from Stanford, and I got my pre-interview rejection letter on Tuesday. So hold out hope, those who haven't gotten one!

Reactions: 1 users
Because I believe that this information helps people, I will say that I was admitted today at 4:10pm with a phone call from Dean Garcia. It is one of the happiest days in my life. My interview was completed on December 9th.

Reactions: 11 users
Quick question to those who have interviewed at Stanford. Were you able to get matched with a student host? Also do you know when I can expect to hear back about my hosting status? I'd prefer to not be in a hotel

Because I believe that this information helps people, I will say that I was admitted today at 4:10pm with a phone call from Dean Garcia. It is one of the happiest days in my life. My interview was completed on December 9th.
Yikes, looks like they've started looking at the December folks then. Good to hear they're moving fast!

Quick question to those who have interviewed at Stanford. Were you able to get matched with a student host? Also do you know when I can expect to hear back about my hosting status? I'd prefer to not be in a hotel
Also, no I had to get a hotel. They had exams when I went. I don't think they have any now though so you should be good.

Am I at a disadvantage if I interview later? Trying to decide between a jan and feb date, but feb works better.

I think the common wisdom for rolling admissions is that earlier is always better.

worth flying across the country to interview here? that jan date is so close and expensive, and the feb date conflicts with another interview...

Got my invite this past week. I know they're rolling, but I've read in another thread that Stanford maintains a 1/3 accept 1/3 waitlist 1/3 reject ratio for all the dates -- can anyone comment? Trying to decide between a jan and feb date.

Last edited:
Also, no I had to get a hotel. They had exams when I went. I don't think they have any now though so you should be good.

Thanks! I contacted to coordinator to hopefully get some info on that

Got my invite this past week. I know they're rolling, but I've read in another thread that Stanford maintains a 1/3 accept 1/3 waitlist 1/3 reject ratio for all the dates -- can anyone comment? Trying to decide between a jan and feb date.

i don't know about that. but i was just checking usnews grad compass for stats... assuming i'm decent at math, i'd say you have an excellent chance of getting accepted if you simply interview. less than %10 are interviewed, about 40% are accepted, and 92 are currently enrolled. i already bought my ticket and i'll be there on the 29th. i would highly suggest going.

Congrats on the II! It's good to know there are still some coming out. Would you mind sharing stats and/or when you were complete?

Any more recent rejection letters? It sounds like they are coming out in pretty much random order and just weren't sent all at once. Fully expecting one in my mailbox this week.

Ditto those who already asked when you were complete :)

Ditto those who already asked when you were complete :)

Congrats on the II! It's good to know there are still some coming out. Would you mind sharing stats and/or when you were complete?

Any more recent rejection letters? It sounds like they are coming out in pretty much random order and just weren't sent all at once. Fully expecting one in my mailbox this week.

Thanks! Around September.

Do IIs come via snail mail too?

Has anyone else gotten anything lately in terms of rejections or interview invites?

Did Anyone (complete in aug) get rejected yet?

Nothing here either...