2013-2014 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yikes, I guess they've finally gotten to my month (December). So is that only two December folks that heard back already?
I'm also on the East cost, so 86chaser has me terrifed of my mailbox right now haha.

Also, did you guys not get calls as well? I thought that was Dean Garcia's thing.

No call yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't gotten a rejection letter yet. Is Stanford done with sending out interview invites?

I haven't gotten a rejection letter yet. Is Stanford done with sending out interview invites?

I haven't gotten one yet either and would like to know if they're done as well so I can stop clinging to that last small thread of hope.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten one yet either and would like to know if they're done as well so I can stop clinging to that last small thread of hope.
+1

Just tell us already!

From this thread the consensus seems to be that there are more IIs going out. Someone posted a few days ago about being offered an interview just a week or two beforehand. But Stanford has very few spots in their class to give out this year and is clearly being both cautious and slow to notify anyone of their status. I was complete end of September and this is the last school holding out on giving me a pre-interview decision. I wish they'd hurry up!

Reactions: 1 user
I thought they finish sending out interview invites at the end of February for March interview dates? Just 3 more weeks of waiting...unless they decide to be nice and send out another batch of pre-interview rejection letters soon.

+1

Just tell us already!

From this thread the consensus seems to be that there are more IIs going out. Someone posted a few days ago about being offered an interview just a week or two beforehand. But Stanford has very few spots in their class to give out this year and is clearly being both cautious and slow to notify anyone of their status. I was complete end of September and this is the last school holding out on giving me a pre-interview decision. I wish they'd hurry up!

Stanford has fewer spots than usual? did they overaccept last year?

rejected pre-II yesterday :( ....i wish they didn't take so long to inform me though. I was starting to have hope after surviving so many rejection rounds. gl to everyone else.

rejected pre-II yesterday :( ....i wish they didn't take so long to inform me though. I was starting to have hope after surviving so many rejection rounds. gl to everyone else.
Sorry to hear that! Can i ask where do you live and when was the date of letter? Thank u

Waitlisted. Received letter this Monday. Interviewed in mid October.

Hey guys, I called the office because it seemed like many (most?) people awaiting post-interview decisions had heard back in the past week or so. Apparently they still haven't come to a final decision for my application but hope to have something sent out by the end of the month. Something about a "holding pattern" was mentioned, so I assume it's similar to UChicago's "hold" where it's a rolling deferral of some sort. I guess I'm super borderline or something like that? :scared:

In any case, I figured there were others who were still waiting, so I just wanted to let everyone know that it wasn't just that our rejection/waitlist letters got lost on their way (which is what I definitely thought had happened) :p I suppose we can only remain patient and stare wistfully at our mailboxes a little while longer. Good luck to every one else who's waiting!

Hey guys, I called the office because it seemed like many (most?) people awaiting post-interview decisions had heard back in the past week or so. Apparently they still haven't come to a final decision for my application but hope to have something sent out by the end of the month. Something about a "holding pattern" was mentioned, so I assume it's similar to UChicago's "hold" where it's a rolling deferral of some sort. I guess I'm super borderline or something like that? :scared:

In any case, I figured there were others who were still waiting, so I just wanted to let everyone know that it wasn't just that our rejection/waitlist letters got lost on their way (which is what I definitely thought had happened) :p I suppose we can only remain patient and stare wistfully at our mailboxes a little while longer. Good luck to every one else who's waiting!
Incredibly nice of you to share this. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I've been lurking here for a while. I got the call today, and I have been accepted! So excited to have the opportunity to attend this fantastic school :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi there, I've been lurking here for a while. I got the call today, and I have been accepted! So excited to have the opportunity to attend this fantastic school :)
Congrats! Interview date?

Thank you! I interviewed in the middle of January

Do u guys think the fate of people waiting for an interview will be decided by the end of feb?

Do u guys think the fate of people waiting for an interview will be decided by the end of feb?

According to the admissions timeline on their website iis are sent from July-Feb. So you're probably right.

From this thread -- yes, and by quite a bit. Sounds like they asked 8 to defer...and it's already a really small class

Hey guys, current first year at Stanford here... Yes, we are overenrolled. Think they were aiming for 92 and they got 107! I think the comments about asking people to defer are only online rumors though as I've never heard anything about it here in person.

My personal opinion is that it had to do with Stanford's jump in US News ranking, and many agree with me. A silly thing to make a decision by, but nothing else changed last year for acceptance of offers to jump nearly 20%.

The overenrollment has caused overcrowding issues, especially in anatomy lab where there should be four people to a cadaver, but we have to squish in five. I would be surprised if Stanford does not respond by being even more ridiculously selective this year because we already have more people than they planned for.

That said, hang in there and best of luck as the interview season wraps up. It's a wild ride, but it will be worth it.

Hey guys, current first year at Stanford here... Yes, we are overenrolled. Think they were aiming for 92 and they got 107! I think the comments about asking people to defer are only online rumors though as I've never heard anything about it here in person.

My personal opinion is that it had to do with Stanford's jump in US News ranking, and many agree with me. A silly thing to make a decision by, but nothing else changed last year for acceptance of offers to jump nearly 20%.

The overenrollment has caused overcrowding issues, especially in anatomy lab where there should be four people to a cadaver, but we have to squish in five. I would be surprised if Stanford does not respond by being even more ridiculously selective this year because we already have more people than they planned for.

That said, hang in there and best of luck as the interview season wraps up. It's a wild ride, but it will be worth it.
What used to be Stanford's rank?

No rejection, no interview. Just quietly waiting and it's nearly the end of February. Shout out to everyone in the same boat.

Reactions: 8 users
There's still hope! I got an invite this past weekend. Scheduled for February but it looks like there were some March dates last year. Fingers crossed! :)

Reactions: 2 users
In 2011 Stanford's USNWRranking was 11. The Dean lobbied to Director of Research at USNews for various criteria which are in Stanfs favor to be a part of the evaluative process, and he actually succeeded. But going from a steady 5-6 to knocking out a steady #2 school like Hopkins, to me seems very volatile and likely to change.

I do think this may concern people who are strictly interested in academic and research rank, but for others who maybe care less about that sort of thing there are plenty of other unique factors that make SMS awesome! Personally I'd pick it in a heartbeat over many other top schools (maybe aside from my alma mater) but I know several others who wouldn't bc of these ranking systems.

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite today, and I'm really surprised, to say the least!
Can anyone who is a current student at Stanford comment on the financial aid situation? Their statement in the MSAR says, "Our generous financial aid program allows our students to graduate with one of the lowest educational debts for any medical school, private or public." Can someone comment on that? The average graduate indebtedness is $101,462, which still seems pretty high to me. Sorry if this topic has already been covered in this thread!

Can anyone who is a current student at Stanford comment on the financial aid situation? Their statement in the MSAR says, "Our generous financial aid program allows our students to graduate with one of the lowest educational debts for any medical school, private or public." Can someone comment on that? The average graduate indebtedness is $101,462, which still seems pretty high to me. Sorry if this topic has already been covered in this thread!

Congratulations! Do you know what dates were available and do you mind sharing your stats?

Congratulations! Do you know what dates were available and do you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks! I don't want to get too specific, but there were two dates available, my LizzyM score is 73-76, and I'm a non-traditional applicant. Sorry for not sharing more but I'm a little paranoid about oversharing on SDN!

One more question, for anyone who interviewed already this cycle, does Stanford provide housing with students the night before the interview? The email I got didn't really have any details about what to expect.

One more question, for anyone who interviewed already this cycle, does Stanford provide housing with students the night before the interview? The email I got didn't really have any details about what to expect.
yes they do offer hosting. what interview dates were available when you scheduled?

Not to be rude here, but $100,000 is minuscule compared to the date most students take on. Look up average indebtedness for a few of your other favorite schools using MSAR.

Paying for medical school *is* stressful, and $100k is nothing to sneeze at regardless of what other schools' numbers are. But TheKMan is correct in that Stanford does have a relatively "low" amount of avg indebtedness for its students compared to peer institutions.

From what I understand, Stanford has has a "matching" program in place for middle income students in which it will match family contribution up to a certain amount ($10k?). The financial aid presenter explicitly told us that their lower debt numbers are in large part because they are able to incentivize families to contribute to students' tuition.

I'm not a current student, so I can't speak more about the fin aid situation, but I did receive an acceptance call just a few days ago and so am excited to hopefully see many of you at revisit! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Paying for medical school *is* stressful, and $100k is nothing to sneeze at regardless of what other schools' numbers are. But TheKMan is correct in that Stanford does have a relatively "low" amount of avg indebtedness for its students compared to peer institutions.

From what I understand, Stanford has has a "matching" program in place for middle income students in which it will match family contribution up to a certain amount ($10k?). The financial aid presenter explicitly told us that their lower debt numbers are in large part because they are able to incentivize families to contribute to students' tuition.

I'm not a current student, so I can't speak more about the fin aid situation, but I did receive an acceptance call just a few days ago and so am excited to hopefully see many of you at revisit! :)
Wow congrats! I really like how you announced your acceptance so casually too. Awesome lol:claps:

Reactions: 3 users
OMG interview invite today!!! :eek::soexcited: I'm shocked! And I've been complete since forever! :wow:

Reactions: 20 users
OMG interview invite today!!! :eek::soexcited: I'm shocked! And I've been complete since forever! :wow:
Wowwww congrats!

I know you were complete early on - would you mind sharing what interview dates were available?

Last edited:

Congrats!! You're still in the running!

FINAAALLY got an invite as well! Complete in late September and they gave me a date for this Friday. Didn't ask for availabilities in March as I need a post-interview decision ASAP preferably in late March/early April and didn't want to risk it.

Gotta get back into interview mode now and prep in 3 days :nailbiting:

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks everyone! I also have a date in late March open.

I'm really confused. They're sending rejections via snail mail? The office won't pick up and I don't know if I have been rejected. I don't know if this was the last round of invites? i'm tearing my hair out here.

I haven't gotten anything either way. Grr - it's been 8 months, Stanford!

I know this year's process is slow. We get a new admission director, and he has to learn a lot of stuff on the fly. Hope it does not bother you when it comes to decision making at the end of the day.

Congrats to everyone with IIs! Just out of curiosity, did you send an update letter at all? I've been complete since October and was considering sending one.

So... I know for a fact my post office lost an important letter for me recently or delivered it to the wrong address... what if Stanford has already sent me a rejection letter but I just haven't received it :(

Congrats to everyone with IIs! Just out of curiosity, did you send an update letter at all? I've been complete since October and was considering sending one.

Thanks! And I didn't send an update letter... Stanford doesn't accept them pre-interview.

Applicants who have interviewed in February: What were you told about when you would hear back??

Is anyone receiving notifications through email? I interviewed mid-January and haven't hear anything. I know you get a phone call or snail mail for acceptance, but is rejection only snail mail?