2013-2014 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay prompt will go here. PM me when it's available. GL all!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised there's no activity here yet. Really hoping that SBU will show me some Long Island love :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please post the secondary essay questions? Thanks.

Hey everyone! congrats on making it to the application process, although it's long, it's also a worthwhile and rewarding process. :)
I just spent the year applying and will be matriculating at Stony Brook this fall. I don't know if Stony Brook will give the same secondary or a different one this year, but these were the secondary essay prompts from last year to give an idea of what yours might be.

Best of luck everyone!

WHAT ASPECTS OF THE FIELD OF MEDICINE MOST INTRIGUE YOU AND DESCRIBE HOW THEY WILL INFLUENCE YOUR MEDICAL PRACTICE?

DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU'VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.

DESCRIBE AN EXTRACURRICULAR EXPERIENCE THAT YOU HAVE HAD WHICH WILL HELP YOU BECOME A COMPASSIONATE PHYSICIAN AND EXPLAIN WHY.

Does anybody know if Stony Brook allows other reading/writing intensive classes that fulfill writing proficiency for our undergrad institution to count for the English requirement? If so, should we plan to get a letter from our undergrad institution explaining this?

Thanks.

Received!

Questions:
Did you take time off, (yes) please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.

DESCRIBE AN EXTRACURRICULAR EXPERIENCE THAT YOU HAVE HAD WHICH WILL HELP YOU BECOME A COMPASSIONATE PHYSICIAN AND EXPLAIN WHY.

Also, I tried submitting and got a crazy weird error page so I'm assuming it didn't go through. Anyone else get this??

Received!

Questions:
Did you take time off, (yes) please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.

Also, I tried submitting and got a crazy weird error page so I'm assuming it didn't go through. Anyone else get this??

I got that same weird error page. I'll give them a week to fix before I call them up.

Just got this email from them:

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our 2014 Supplemental Application.
We hope to have this resolved by tomorrow.
We appreciate your patience – please check our website for an update for re-submission: medicine.stonybrookmedicine.edu/admissions
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Stony Brook Admissions
School of Medicine

How much is everyone writing? Is the one page limit single or double-spaced?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is everyone writing? Is the one page limit single or double-spaced?

I'm wondering the same thing. Do they mean one one page as in one page of a word document?

I was finally able to submit my application without the error page and with a message of
"Your Supplementary Application has been submitted.
Thank You."

But then I have not received any confirmation emails or anything. Did you have similar experiences?

Received!

Questions:

Is there a word/character limit?

IS/3.3/30S/3.85(grad), just submitted

Secondary received and submitted!! Good luck all!!

Does it say it should be about a page or it doesn't specify the length?

I called and asked about this; in MS Word, ordinary margins, 12pt font, single spaced; one page worth of that and your good.

So they took off the 'what aspect of medicine intrigues you most' prompt? Too bad, I kinda liked that one. Maybe they felt that it was too repetitive with everyone's personal statement.

So they took off the 'what aspect of medicine intrigues you most' prompt? Too bad, I kinda liked that one. Maybe they felt that it was too repetitive with everyone's personal statement.

I'm glad it's gone. Would've been too repetitive I think, or at least it wouldn't add much to the application for most people. They can always ask that question in the interview...

Does anyone know if we were supposed to pay the application fee before we submit? I submitted my application first.. accidentally closed and then paid separately..

Does anyone know if we were supposed to pay the application fee before we submit? I submitted my application first.. accidentally closed and then paid separately..

Should not be a problem; this is exactly what i did.

Can anyone please clarify if it's 1 page single spaced per essay that's the limit or 1 page for both essays?

So I noticed that their letter of recommendation section wants you to list the person's email...Does that mean that they're going to send a form to that person? I thought they just get it from AMCAS. :confused:

Just got the complete email!! Would love to go to school here!!! C'mon Stony Brook!!

Hi all,
I had a question about one of the prompts and am looking for some advice. For the obstacle question, I want to write about how a lost a friend that I spent almost every day studying with and had the same class with overnight and had to find a way to face going back to that class afterwards or having to deal with father's health issues. I spoke to a buddy of mine in medical school and he said it's a horrible idea. My other option that comes to mind is how i overcame my fear of getting into the boxing ring and fought in a tournament. The only real academic one i can think of is how i retook a calc class that i got a D in and got an A the second time around. does anyone have any suggestions? thanks! gl on apps

deleted

Last edited:
Hi all,
I had a question about one of the prompts and am looking for some advice. For the obstacle question, I want to write about how a lost a friend that I spent almost every day studying with and had the same class with overnight and had to find a way to face going back to that class afterwards or having to deal with father's health issues. I spoke to a buddy of mine in medical school and he said it's a horrible idea. My other option that comes to mind is how i overcame my fear of getting into the boxing ring and fought in a tournament. The only real academic one i can think of is how i retook a calc class that i got a D in and got an A the second time around. does anyone have any suggestions? thanks! gl on apps

Well, Stony Brook's prompt asks for an obstacle, not necessarily your greatest obstacle, so I think any of those would work fine. You have plenty of room to discuss your personal traits that helped you overcome. Just be discrete when talking about other people's issues. But why does your friend think the first two choices are bad ideas? Aren't those pretty common topics for this prompt?

Well, Stony Brook's prompt asks for an obstacle, not necessarily your greatest obstacle, so I think any of those would work fine. You have plenty of room to discuss your personal traits that helped you overcome. Just be discrete when talking about other people's issues. But why does your friend think the first two choices are bad ideas? Aren't those pretty common topics for this prompt?

He said that while he knows me and that I wouldn't look for sympathy, the committee wouldn't see it that way and may think I'm begging for it.

He said that while he knows me and that I wouldn't look for sympathy, the committee wouldn't see it that way and may think I'm begging for it.vlvxxjn

He said that while he knows me and that I wouldn't look for sympathy, the committee wouldn't see it that way and may think I'm begging for it.

It depends on how you write it. Don't be maudlin. Keep the focus on you, how you coped, and how you're a stronger person for having come through it.

It depends on how you write it. Don't be maudlin. Keep the focus on you, how you coped, and how you're a stronger person for having come through it.

That's what I was thinking too. Thank you!

How long has it been taking for people to be marked as complete? Submitted a week ago and no completion email :(

Anyone on FAP? How did you go about doing this secondary application with it? I called admissions, and they said to send an email to them confirming your FAP, but where does it show that I'm confirmed? Just forward the email I received when I was confirmed?

Anyone on FAP? How did you go about doing this secondary application with it? I called admissions, and they said to send an email to them confirming your FAP, but where does it show that I'm confirmed? Just forward the email I received when I was confirmed?

Yes, forward your FAP award letter.

If you have FAP, you don't need to send an email, they automatically waive it. Once you get the complete email you're done.

Interview invite!! IS/32/3.8
So excited!