2013-2014 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if April 11th also applies for MSTP students? And more importantly, does the orientation date of Aug 15th apply? One would think it doesn't make sense to do a rotation before orientation, but the words "attendance is mandatory" makes me think this might be it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email saying that April 11th is second look. Really excited to meet everyone!!
Same here. I'm hoping I can make it out; I'm not sure how else I'm going to make a final decision, other than financially.

Does anyone know if April 11th also applies for MSTP students? And more importantly, does the orientation date of Aug 15th apply? One would think it doesn't make sense to do a rotation before orientation, but the words "attendance is mandatory" makes me think this might be it.

You do a rotation before orientation according to my classmate. I believe starting in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any accepted students not get an email about second look? I didn't get an email..

Just got waitlisted... :'( .... interviewed end of january...

Do they reject post interview or do they put everyone in the wait list?

Do they only start to move the waitlist after May 15th?

Yes, I believe so. They also have a High Priority Waitlist which moves before the regular waitlist. Everyone on the HPWL usually gets in but not many people from the regular waitlist do.

Yes, I believe so. They also have a High Priority Waitlist which moves before the regular waitlist. Everyone on the HPWL usually gets in but not many people from the regular waitlist do.
Do they tell you if you are on HPWL or not?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they tell you if you are on HPWL or not?
Don't give up hope if you're on the regular waitlist. Quite a few people (me included) got in off the regular waitlist last year. Just show the admissions committee your interest/intent, especially around the time when the HPWL seems about to be used up.

Don't give up hope if you're on the regular waitlist. Quite a few people (me included) got in off the regular waitlist last year. Just show the admissions committee your interest/intent, especially around the time when the HPWL seems about to be used up.

Does the email designate whether or not you're on the HPWL or the regular? Mine says "waiting list." Does that mean I'm on the regular one or do I not know?

Does the email designate whether or not you're on the HPWL or the regular? Mine says "waiting list." Does that mean I'm on the regular one or do I not know?
It means your on the regular list. The HPWL only contains people who interviewed towards the end of the cycle, and they were explicitly told about it in their emails from the adcom. It's a relatively short list from what I understand.

Of course, all of that could change this year. I'm not on the committee so I don't know for sure.

From what it's been at least the past three years, the HPWL is explicit in the email (they are currently only putting people on the waitlist as it is not the end of the cycle yet). The HPWL is for people they would've accepted but the spots have already been filled. I know the list is short, so the waitlist does get movement each year.

Do you think that simply sending a letter for interests/intent in early May will be enough? Should I send another one this month or in March, or is it unnecessary?

Do you think that simply sending a letter for interests/intent in early May will be enough? Should I send another one this month or in March, or is it unnecessary?
I don't think it can hurt, but the way I see it is that the adcom is not even thinking about the waitlist right now. Like I said, I have no idea what actually goes on. I would definitely update them on anything important you've accomplished since the interview.

Is it official that Stony Brook is switching over to the new curriculum next year? I remember back when I interviewed in September it was still sort of up in the air - there was a note in our packets saying they would make the switch when we start M1, but my interviewer and some other admins said that it probably wouldn't actually happen until 2015.. Anyone know what the deal is?

Is it official that Stony Brook is switching over to the new curriculum next year? I remember back when I interviewed in September it was still sort of up in the air - there was a note in our packets saying they would make the switch when we start M1, but my interviewer and some other admins said that it probably wouldn't actually happen until 2015.. Anyone know what the deal is?
The last I heard is that there will be a 1.5 year preclinical for the incoming class.

not sure if this was discussed already or not. What kind of grading system will they have for our class? Is it H/P/F or switching to just P/F? Does anybody have a link to new curriculum changes? thx

not sure if this was discussed already or not. What kind of grading system will they have for our class? Is it H/P/F or switching to just P/F? Does anybody have a link to new curriculum changes? thx
Second this... I'd really like to know more information about both the new curriculum and possible grading policy system changes! When I interviewed in Nov. they made it seem like it wasn't being implemented definitively for our class in the Fall but now it seems like it is?...

Second this... I'd really like to know more information about both the new curriculum and possible grading policy system changes! When I interviewed in Nov. they made it seem like it wasn't being implemented definitively for our class in the Fall but now it seems like it is?...

When I interviewed in January, I was told that the new curriculum would definitely be in place by the time we started. Not sure about the grading policy, but our class will have the shortened 1.5 preclinical years. Hope that helps somewhat....

Withdrawing my name from the waitlist due to an acceptance at a higher ranked SUNY for me! Good luck to all of you!

Withdrawing my name from the waitlist due to an acceptance at a higher ranked SUNY for me! Good luck to all of you!
What SUNY is ranked higher than Stony Brook? I'm assuming you are talking about Downstate, since very few would rank Upstate or Buffalo higher than Stony Brook. US News & World Report is often sighted, and Downstate isn't even ranked. Downstate may be higher ranked on your list of schools for a number of reasons but I don't think its warranted to say Downstate is objectively higher ranked than Stony Brook

What SUNY is ranked higher than Stony Brook? I'm assuming you are talking about Downstate, since very few would rank Upstate or Buffalo higher than Stony Brook. US News & World Report is often sighted, and Downstate isn't even ranked. Downstate may be higher ranked on your list of schools for a number of reasons but I don't think its warranted to say Downstate is objectively higher ranked than Stony Brook

"Higher ranked by me" as in I would rather be at UB than Stony Brook. Haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the OP got accepted at Buffalo. That person just said that it was a higher rank for them, not by US News.

For those accepted, have you been contacted by the financial aid office after submitting your FAFSA? Do we need to fill out the institutional form, credit statement, and MPN by a certain date?

For those accepted, have you been contacted by the financial aid office after submitting your FAFSA? Do we need to fill out the institutional form, credit statement, and MPN by a certain date?

We don't have to do anything except submit FAFSA at this point according to Mary Jean Allen. Packages should be coming soon though, I just got mine from Downstate a couple of days ago.

We don't have to do anything except submit FAFSA at this point according to Mary Jean Allen. Packages should be coming soon though, I just got mine from Downstate a couple of days ago.

Iirc from the 2012-2013 thread, last year aid letters didn't go out until June, well after the time you could use them to make a decision if you needed to. If you want to get an idea of what you can expect in order to make a decision I thin last year's thread said you have to call them.

Withdrew from the wait list. Good luck everyone!

I interviewed on 2/21. Will we be notified if we are on the High Priority Wait List (if there is one)? I got the impression that there was only one wait list from the associate dean when she spoke to our interview group..

It makes me very, very nervous to do this for some reason, but I am withdrawing my acceptance today. I figure the earlier the better, so someone else can get my spot. Good luck all!

Reactions: 2 users
Wait listed today, interviewed 1/28/14. Out of state, so not terribly surprised. Anyone else hear back this morning?

It makes me very, very nervous to do this for some reason, but I am withdrawing my acceptance today. I figure the earlier the better, so someone else can get my spot. Good luck all!
Don't be nervous, you have some phenomenal other options to choose among (cough cough go to UCSF cough cough). Good luck with your ultimate decision!

Just got in this afternoon! Honored, but I'll be withdrawing my application in a bit. Hope one of you gets my spot!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted a few hours ago! Interviewed middle of January.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today! Interviewed February 4th. I'll be giving up my spot, but I hope whoever gets it is ecstatic :)

High Priority Wait List. Interviewed 2/11, sent a letter of interest 3/4.