2013-2014 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
casual...it's still school

Members don't see this ad.

There has been no wl movement because the class is full o_O:bookworm:

Members don't see this ad :)
There has been no wl movement because the class is full o_O:bookworm:
Idk. A few of the other schools around the same rank as Stony Brook haven't had any movement either. I think it might just be really slow this year. Well I guess unless you called in and that was what was said.... A few upper tier schools were a little late(based on past movement patterns). For example Albert Einstein. So it may just be the trickle effect in action right now and we'll just have to wait a little longer then usual.

Apparently there was some movement on the wl yesterday( from gyngyn's post in the waitinglist support group thread). I had called a few weeks back and was told not to expect wl movement until june ,so we should hear more soon I hope? Maybe it has to do with timing of fa packages being released?

Apparently there was some movement on the wl yesterday( from gyngyn's post in the waitinglist support group thread). I had called a few weeks back and was told not to expect wl movement until june ,so we should hear more soon I hope? Maybe it has to do with timing of fa packages being released?
Hey can you post the link for that thread?

Swung by the pre-orientation meet-up but looked like you all had finished up. I assume Grace answered all of your questions but feel free to ask any that were not!

Uhh where do you find the 2014-2015 institutional application and credit policy statement for SBU financial aid?..

Withdrew from Stony Brook this morning. Loved this school, but staying in CA for school is a dream come true. Hope someone here gets my spot :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So where do students typically live? I'm looking for places to rent and I wanna be near other students (as well as live with some). Is there a general area or are students scattered about.

Has anyone else heard back for regular waitlist? Should we give up at this point?

Yea. But is there still a chance they are getting more people off the waitlist? Or is the whole class set and no more waitlist movement?
In order to find that out, you may have to contact the admissions office on Monday. That is what I plan on doing.

I know that 4 people were added to the Facebook group this monday. Not sure when they were accepted (or even if they are new students) but they were certainly added after I was.

I had called the admissions office this past week (Wed or Thu). I was told they are now working with both the HPWL and regular waitlist and that there may be a few more spots they are looking to fill. Really they were very short on specifics but the general idea was that the class is not completely full yet thus there may still be some (slim) hope for waitlisted applicants.

I'm not sure how to interpret the fact that they are working with both the HPWL and regular WL concurrently except for maybe they are trying to fulfill certain metrics and are looking to the regular WL when there are no HPWL who would fit that particular desire. I know at another school I am waitlisted at it seems that the admissions tries to maintain a certain ratio of IS/OOS thus one might assume admissions here may also pay attention to that ratio as well as other measures of diversity ie gender, SES,URM or applicant backgrounds research heavy vs service, advanced degrees etc etc. This last bit is just my personal conjecture however so take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess by this time, all that's left is silent rejection

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a rising senior at SBU Undergraduate and I'd like to apply to its med school next year. However, I couldn't find much info about what are the most important qualities SB MED is looking for. I know the obvious things like good gpa and mcat. But what else? What do you think you did in your application that made you appeal to SBU? extensive research? clinical experiences or what?

Thank you for your time!

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a rising senior at SBU Undergraduate and I'd like to apply to its med school next year. However, I couldn't find much info about what are the most important qualities SB MED is looking for. I know the obvious things like good gpa and mcat. But what else? What do you think you did in your application that made you appeal to SBU? extensive research? clinical experiences or what?

Thank you for your time!

This is last year's board- you should try asking on the 2015 board. Regardless, last year I remember almost everyone being an EMT at my Stony Brook interview, so they clearly value hands-on clinical experience!