2013-2014 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have comparable clinical experiences (also and EMT) and was accepted, so don't worry. Your interviewer doesn't make the final decision, he's just one opinion of many....

Ditto. I have less clinical experience, and I was accepted. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since he assured you that your interview was good.

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto. I have less clinical experience, and I was accepted. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since he assured you that your interview was good.

Thanks, that's reassuring! Hope I hear good news in a couple months!

Thanks, that's reassuring! Hope I hear good news in a couple months!

You're probably fine but if you're worried you could try to get a hospital volunteer position or a position in a nursing home/etc. for a few hours a week. And send SBU an update in a month or so stating that you're expanding on your clinical experience/getting a feel for hospital environment/etc. But sounds like you have experience already…

I will tell you that I have less clinical experience hours than you and no one made a big deal of it. I'm volunteering in 2 places throughout this year. I think it's more about being able to talk about how these experiences have affected you, and show the interviewer you know what you're getting yourself into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! So I just had my interview today and am a little worried because my interviewer told me that I should have really had more clinical experience. He said I had a good interview, but I can't stop thinking about what he said!

I got my EMT certification two years ago/worked as an EMT (~150hrs) and did two research positions last year on top of shadowing (~250hrs).. what else could I have even done? I thought I had above average experience as an EMT but apparently not! Or, do you guys think this may have just been my interviewers opinion and is not reflective of the admissions team?
It's unlikely, but did you consider he was trying to push your buttons?

Hey guys! So I just had my interview today and am a little worried because my interviewer told me that I should have really had more clinical experience. He said I had a good interview, but I can't stop thinking about what he said!

I got my EMT certification two years ago/worked as an EMT (~150hrs) and did two research positions last year on top of shadowing (~250hrs).. what else could I have even done? I thought I had above average experience as an EMT but apparently not! Or, do you guys think this may have just been my interviewers opinion and is not reflective of the admissions team?

I wouldn't much about it either. Certainly if you can volunteer at a hospital, that couldn't hurt to do and then send an update letter to them about. Also, just curious, were those 150 hours of EMT work the hours you were on call or the estimate time you were actively responding to a call?

It's unlikely, but did you consider he was trying to push your buttons?

I think he was actually. His actual words were "a woman as poised as you should have been able to get more clinical experience". He said that he likes to give all of his interviewees a "reality check" though, so maybe he just likes to make everyone feel humble before they get in.

And those are on call hours. I hope that's okay for these schools!

Reactions: 1 user
I think he was actually. His actual words were "a woman as poised as you should have been able to get more clinical experience". He said that he likes to give all of his interviewees a "reality check" though, so maybe he just likes to make everyone feel humble before they get in.

And those are on call hours. I hope that's okay for these schools!
Yeah, it sounds kinda like "No matter how good you THINK you are, remember that you could always be better..."

Maybe to see if you had an egotistical side ;)

Just wondering, for those of us who've been accepted so far, has anyone heard back from financial aid? I know in the email confirming the deposit/forms it said we should be hearing from financial aid but nothing yet.

Just wondering, for those of us who've been accepted so far, has anyone heard back from financial aid? I know in the email confirming the deposit/forms it said we should be hearing from financial aid but nothing yet.

Nothing yet, probably because FAFSA opens in January.

I just looked at SBU's parking map and it looked miserably miserable.
Where do students get to park their cars??

The HSC (Health sciences center) garage. It was recently expanded so parking is probably significantly less miserable than it used to be. If it's full you can park in the hospital garage (I'm sure that's way less common now)

Does anyone know when Stony Brook will stop sending interview invites?

Does anyone know when Stony Brook will stop sending interview invites?

I got an interview invite few days ago, and there were still interview spots open in January! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite few days ago, and there were still interview spots open in January! :)

Really!! I got my invite a month ago, and they told me the earliest day was 1/30! (not that it makes a a huge difference haha, people must have turned down invites). Anyway, Congratulations!

Congrats! Stony Brook is an incredible place — I hope you like it there.

I have received iis from most other SUNYs and a couple of other schools, but I haven't heard anything from SB since being complete in October. Do you guys recommend an update letter or something? SB is one of my top choices.

I have received iis from most other SUNYs and a couple of other schools, but I haven't heard anything from SB since being complete in October. Do you guys recommend an update letter or something? SB is one of my top choices.

You have nothing to lose by sending an update letter; I would definitely send one. Just have something good to update them on (Fall grades could be something if you did well). You could even use the update letter as a short letter of interest, simply stating you are still interested in SB and would love to interview.

I was complete way back in July, but haven't heard anything yet. IS, MCAT 34, GPA 3.9. Have two acceptances already. However, I'm still very interested in Stony Brook. . Should I give up or I still have a chance?

I was complete way back in July, but haven't heard anything yet. IS, MCAT 34, GPA 3.9. Have two acceptances already. However, I'm still very interested in Stony Brook. . Should I give up or I still have a chance?

Send them an update (if you have anything to update) and brief statement of your interest. Be concise and to the point. It can't hurt.

Send them an update (if you have anything to update) and brief statement of your interest. Be concise and to the point. It can't hurt.
Thanks for your advice. I did send them an update about a month ago.

Thanks for your advice. I did send them an update about a month ago.

Ok - good luck! Your stats are the same/better than many who have gotten in, so those are not holding you back. I wouldn't take it personally, this process doesn't always make sense.

I've been waiting since 10/31. Anyone else waiting that long since their interview?

I've been waiting since 10/31. Anyone else waiting that long since their interview?

Interviewed the same day as you and heard back on 12/3. You might want to inquire in a couple weeks, but I definitely wouldn't interpret it as a bad sign.

It's about to be 10 weeks! I'll call them at the end of this week. Big sighs.

Waitlisted today after ~6 weeks of waiting post interview.

Does anyone know how waitlist movement is at stony brook?

If am not mistaken, someone wrote here that it's a good movement.... I think u will have to read through all the comments :-/ but I am pretty sure.
Good luck!

Movement was excellent last year and meh the year before that. I think you're going to have to wait till May to know for sure.

Got an II invite today, woooott!! I have already gotten into one of my top 3 choices. I'm wondering if it's still worth giving SB a chance. It IS a lot closer to home, and the city is a LOT safer than the city in which the other school is in. However, besides med school and residential homes, is there anything to do in Stony Brook? How far is it from the closest metro area?

Got an II invite today, woooott!! I have already gotten into one of my top 3 choices. I'm wondering if it's still worth giving SB a chance. It IS a lot closer to home, and the city is a LOT safer than the city in which the other school is in. However, besides med school and residential homes, is there anything to do in Stony Brook? How far is it from the closest metro area?

When were you complete? I was complete at this school on October 23rd and it's been silence since.

Best of luck with your decision!

+1! I'm in a similar situation, I'm pretty set on Downstate and waiting to hear from 2 other higher choices. SB is close to home for me too but I'd much rather go to school in the city. The only available dates were in March but I think I'm still going to go just for the sake of checking the school out and meeting some faculty.

When were you complete? I was complete at this school on October 23rd and it's been silence since.

Best of luck with your decision!

I was complete October 4th and I'm OOS. Don't worry, they're getting to you. Good luck! And thank you!

+1! I'm in a similar situation, I'm pretty set on Downstate and waiting to hear from 2 other higher choices. SB is close to home for me too but I'd much rather go to school in the city. The only available dates were in March but I think I'm still going to go just for the sake of checking the school out and meeting some faculty.

Yea, I've 65% made up my mind to go. Also waiting on 2 other schools, SB is higher than one of these schools though.

Pre-Interview Rejection here. Complete since late July. Best of luck to those still in the running :thumbup:

Got the hatchet as well. It hurt.

Complete late July. Good luck to the rest of you.

Yea, I've 65% made up my mind to go. Also waiting on 2 other schools, SB is higher than one of these schools though.

Also I don't know where you're from (NYC?) but Stony Brook is pretty much like any old suburban town. You'll have to drive to get around and especially to get out to bars and whatnot. I grew up on Long Island and while it's a nice place I don't know if I'd want to go to school here.

Anyone else interviewing Feb. 7th? I have to drive down from Rochester and am not looking forward to it. (grumbles about the Long Island Expressway) Yet, I have no acceptances yet so I am bound to go. Plus, I hear this is a great school!

Anyone else interviewing Feb. 7th? I have to drive down from Rochester and am not looking forward to it. (grumbles about the Long Island Expressway) Yet, I have no acceptances yet so I am bound to go. Plus, I hear this is a great school!
You don't have to take the LIE, you can take the northern state. No trucks :)

Thanks! I will do that instead. I'm originally from the Hudson Valley area and go to school in Rochester now, but LI is totally foreign to me. haha

You can take either. You'll be heading east in the early morning against rush hour traffic. Also the LIE is 3-4 lanes whereas the northern state is only 2. I would recommend the LIE.

Rejection email this morning. Complete since august, so I guess it's nice that this school even acknowledged that I exist haha. I didn't expect much, OOS, no ties to the area (I've never even been to the Northeast), although it did seem exciting to live on long island. Good luck to everyone else!

+1, rejected via email. Complete since Sept, OOS.

+2 Complete early October. OOS.

Happy to hear something, didn't expect much to begin with.

Best of luck to those still waiting!

Rejection email this morning. Complete since august, so I guess it's nice that this school even acknowledged that I exist haha. I didn't expect much, OOS, no ties to the area (I've never even been to the Northeast), although it did seem exciting to live on long island. Good luck to everyone else!
[dying laughing] exciting isn't quite the word to describe LI, let alone Stonybrook area! So you dodged a bullet there . [still laughing] :))))

But sorry for your rejection. Hope you hear some positive from other schools tho.

Last edited:
i was complete late september and still haven't heard anything :/

Has anyone been rejected post-interview yet? It's about to be almost 11 weeks for me.