2013-2014 Temple University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all, first time poster on this board.

Wanted to let you know that I withdrew my acceptance, so best of luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, first time poster on this board.

Wanted to let you know that I withdrew my acceptance, so best of luck to you all.

Thank you for letting us know! I wish you the best of luck in med school!

How did you go about withdrawing your acceptance?

I believe you can write a short letter stating your intent to withdraw and upload it through the portal in the "Send us stuff" tab. One of the options for document type should be "Withdrawal letter". If I remember correctly, others in recent years' threads (and maybe even this one???) said that their status changes stating that they have withdrawn their application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who's on the waitlist tried to send stuff lately? I called the office to confirm that they've received it but got a message saying that Send Us Stuff isn't working and that IT is trying to fix it, then it told me to call back during regular office hours (but I WAS calling within the hours they specified)... I just hope my stuff gets through!! Anyone spoken anyone on the adcom lately?

Has anyone who's on the waitlist tried to send stuff lately? I called the office to confirm that they've received it but got a message saying that Send Us Stuff isn't working and that IT is trying to fix it, then it told me to call back during regular office hours (but I WAS calling within the hours they specified)... I just hope my stuff gets through!! Anyone spoken anyone on the adcom lately?

That message is old - if you send stuff through Send Us Stuff it should get through (I asked a few weeks ago).

That message is old - if you send stuff through Send Us Stuff it should get through (I asked a few weeks ago).

I see. Thanks!

I use a Mac and whenever I upload a document, there is no confirmation message/email...anything. Really not sure if any of my stuff got through...anyone experience similar issue?

Officially withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Sadly, I just withdrew my acceptance. I hope someone who really loves it here gets in off the wait list.

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my acceptance as well. Temple is AWESOME but I will be heading to one of my state schools. Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anybody heard any information from financial aid or info. about our summer reading assignment?

I was able to get in contact with financial aid. If anybody else is having trouble and you get the message that "voice mailbox" is full, just stay on the line and it will connect you to a financial aid representative :)

Last edited:
So...anyone on the waitlist know or hear anything about waitlist movement? :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why I'm being paranoid, but we didn't have to confirm our spot on the CCL right? We were simply put on it and have to opt to be removed?

Not sure why I'm being paranoid, but we didn't have to confirm our spot on the CCL right? We were simply put on it and have to opt to be removed?
No, we don't need to confirm our spot (unless they send an email asking us to). We just withdraw from the list if we want to.

For anyone who has written a letter of interest, who did you address your letter to? And did you e-mail it to admissions or upload it through the portal?

Thanks for your help! May 15 is upon us!

I hate to post three times in a row :), but has anyone heard anything or know anything yet about waitlist movement?

I hate to post three times in a row :), but has anyone heard anything or know anything yet about waitlist movement?
nothing yet. in regards to your question about sending letter of interest, I recall posting on their secondary website portal. cheers

Nothing yet=/

Yeah, I hope we hear something soon! It seems like they might just be waiting until next week to start waitlist movement (hopefully they weren't lying during the interview day when they said that they will make sure there will be waitlist movement this year).

nothing yet. in regards to your question about sending letter of interest, I recall posting on their secondary website portal. cheers

Thank you for replying. Yep, I uploaded it through the secondary portal and just addressed it to the Admissions Committee. Thanks for your help!

Just bumping the thread up to see if anyone has heard anything. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Any late interviews hear anything yet? I interviewed late March/early April but haven't heard back including waitlist

I called Admissions today, and basically, they said they couldn't release any information about waitlist movement.

I called Admissions today, and basically, they said they couldn't release any information about waitlist movement.
Thanks for letting us know. I was going to call tomorrow, so you saved me a phone call :laugh:.

Based off the call, do you think there will be waitlist movement or is it going to be like last year where there won't be movement?

Thank you for your effort! :bow:

Thanks for letting us know. I was going to call tomorrow, so you saved me a phone call :laugh:.

Based off the call, do you think there will be waitlist movement or is it going to be like last year where there won't be movement?

Thank you for your effort! :bow:
Nope, nothing about that. She just said that everything will be through email.

Called the office today, very brief conversation. The lady I spoke with said if an offer is to be made, they will send an official letter in the mail. Anyone else have a similar conversation?

Called the office today, very brief conversation. The lady I spoke with said if an offer is to be made, they will send an official letter in the mail. Anyone else have a similar conversation?
I called yesterday. The woman I spoke with said that there has not been any waitlist movement yet and that she does not know how much waitlist movement there will be yet. She said it depends on how many more people withdraw.

As for the method of notification, it seems like a waste of time sending letters of acceptance off the waitlist in the mail. According to past Temple school-specific threads (not last year's), people accepted off the waitlist were notified by e-mail (which makes more sense given the time constraints of attempting to fill the class before orientation - mailing letters would be such a waste of precious time and some people may end up not receiving letters at all or in a given time frame).

If anyone is still holding a Temple acceptance, still has multiple acceptances, and does not think they will attend Temple, can you please withdraw? :annoyed:

Of course I'm just kidding, no pressure, but seriously do it. :nod:

I called yesterday. The woman I spoke with said that there has not been any waitlist movement yet and that she does not know how much waitlist movement there will be yet. She said it depends on how many more people withdraw.

As for the method of notification, it seems like a waste of time sending letters of acceptance off the waitlist in the mail. According to past Temple school-specific threads (not last year's), people accepted off the waitlist were notified by e-mail (which makes more sense given the time constraints of attempting to fill the class before orientation - mailing letters would be such a waste of precious time and some people may end up not receiving letters at all or in a given time frame).

If anyone is still holding a Temple acceptance, still has multiple acceptances, and does not think they will attend Temple, can you please withdraw? :annoyed:

Did they tell you how large the wait list is?

Technically this would only apply to people who got accepted off waitlist from another school, as the waitlist domino effect takes place. Come on people, dont take the maximum time to decide :p

Did they tell you how large the wait list is?
Nope, I forgot to ask and the person on the line did not mention anything outside of the scope of my questions. That's actually a good question, but I think Temple usually has a large waitlist since it does not seem they reject many applicants post-interview (although I could be wrong).

Technically this would only apply to people who got accepted off waitlist from another school, as the waitlist domino effect takes place. Come on people, dont take the maximum time to decide :p

Yep, that's what I meant. I just hope we aren't dragged along through the summer.

It seems like you get a different response each time you call, all depending on who you get. Going to call again tomorrow to see if I get a different response

Reactions: 2 users
It seems like you get a different response each time you call, all depending on who you get. Going to call again tomorrow to see if I get a different response
By any chance, did you call back today? If not, I'll try to call again next week to see what's going on.

By any chance, did you call back today? If not, I'll try to call again next week to see what's going on.
I did call again today, but I got the same response: " All offers of acceptance will be sent by official mail." IDK anymore

Does anybody want to, or know any information about, renting a house with a few people that's within walking distance to the medical school? I think this would be a much more financially responsible option compared to some of the monthly rent prices of apartments that require commuting.

A few of my classmates rent homes right behind MERB. People have bought some of the rowhomes and updated/renovated them to be rented out to HSC students. On the plus side, you'll have a blissfully short walk to MERB and TUH, and if you forget anything at home you can just pop back around the corner and get it. On the downside, I know at least one house was broken into, possibly more than once, and there isn't much to do (or many places to shop, including for groceries) right near your place.

If I were relocating to attend TUSM and childless, I would definitely have chosen to rent in Manayunk/Roxborough and drive or Center City (lump everywhere from the Art Museum to Bella Vista/Queen's Village in there) and probably take Septa. Northern Liberties to Port Richmond along the eastern edge of the city have been getting gentrified over the last several years and there are places there that might be fun to live, too, but there are still plenty of areas around there that are... less than fun. You'd want to drive from those areas, too, I think.

And another day goes by without any news of waitlist movement while other schools have waitlist movement. :(

Just out of curisoity, @Geekchick921 - any input on the Mt. Airy and western areas of Germantown for living? I stayed in Mt Airy for interviews and really liked it, and it seems a pretty easy commute to Temple (~10-15 minutes driving). It looks like some areas of Germantown are a little rougher in terms of crime but it seems pretty nice further out to the west/northwest.

Whoa, I didn't know you can tag people in post now!

You are right, it gets nicer as you go west. You go west enough into Germantown and it becomes Mt. Airy then Chestnut Hill, which is a really nice part of town (the family med rotation at CHH is also really great). It's a pretty direct commute to Temple, but Germantown Avenue is often annoying congested, especially at rush hour. It's an old (and narrow) road and getting stuck behind a Septa or school bus is maddening. Google recommends you drive down Wissahickon avenue instead and I haven't tried that myself but I wouldn't be surprised if it's significantly better. I can't comment specifically on Mt. Airy but it's safe to say it gets nicer on the end closer to Chestnut Hill and goes downhill as you approach Germantown.

Am I right in understanding that you can only apply to Temple if you have all of your pre-med coursework done?
"If any pre-requisite coursework is not complete when the AMCAS application is submitted, the application will be placed on hold until an official transcript indicating the final grades is received."

I'm pretty positive that I will be withdrawing my acceptance to Temple/St. Luke's on Monday - I just got off a WL at another school that is slightly cheaper. I really loved St. Luke's and hope the spot will go to one of you! Good luck to those still waiting!

Did anybody receive financial aid information?

What's everyone else's status on their loans and financial aid? I kind of feel like I have no idea where I'm supposed to be in this timeline.
Same. I'm guessing we still have to wait while they finalize their whole budget and what not. Kinda scary being in the dark for so long but oh well. Not trying to rush in owing a trillion dollars. Going to enjoy my summer and when the time comes, dig myself in debt.

Same. I'm guessing we still have to wait while they finalize their whole budget and what not. Kinda scary being in the dark for so long but oh well. Not trying to rush in owing a trillion dollars. Going to enjoy my summer and when the time comes, dig myself in debt.

What's everyone else's status on their loans and financial aid? I kind of feel like I have no idea where I'm supposed to be in this timeline.

I don't think anyone received their financial aid award package yet. Some have received scholarships awarded by the Admissions committee through email (which they will be awarding all summer). Did you get the financial aid email they sent outlining the process?