2013-2014 Temple University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am 'under review' as well, no email.

I am glad they have started!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup +9... Looks like a lot of people went under review all at once

more interesting question....who has submitted that ISNT under review haha. Maybe everyone who has submitted or submits now has an "under review status".

Members don't see this ad :)
It's nice to see that everyone can count. Too bad it wasn't tested on the MCAT.

-1 (can I do that?)

It's amusing (I suppose I'm easily amused), and I like to see who else is currently applying!

Haha. Fair enough. But I bet that we're just the tip of the iceberg of Temple applicants.

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of your reasons for applying to Temple? I interviewed at Drexel last cycle and loved the city and figured I would get a similar experience at Temple; working with under served populations and such. Also, I'm interested in cancer research and saw that there are research opportunities at Temple, but it doesn't say much. I would love to hear your reasons. Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of your reasons for applying to Temple? I interviewed at Drexel last cycle and loved the city and figured I would get a similar experience at Temple; working with under served populations and such. Also, I'm interested in cancer research and saw that there are research opportunities at Temple, but it doesn't say much. I would love to hear your reasons. Thanks!

Low stats
In-state / not too far from home
Urban environment
Decent research opportunities
Solid reputation

Yeah, it would be nice to here from current students. The Temple website does not do them justice.

I thought it said a lot on the website! For me it is a mixture between the opportunities that they offer (which I found on the website) and the environment that I will be in (including the stuff I can do in the city)

Yeah, it would be nice to here from current students. The Temple website does not do them justice.

I really came to love temple after interviewing there. The student body is very relaxed and we support each other. There is also a real drive towards training excellent clinicians, as opposed to the more academic/research orientation I found at other schools. There are great opportunities to serve the north Philly community, and the patient population here won't turn up their noses when they find out you're just a medical student. I also think the MA in urban bioethics is really cool, but I'm biased there. :p If you want any more specifics about temple let me know. Sorry we've been a little mia on this thread, but the ms1's just finished our first week and it's a big adjustment. I'll check back when I can to field any specific questions.

Thanks! I will scour the website and check out last years thread. I do like the idea of working with an underserved population and will check out the urban bioethics MA. Sounds like a great area for getting clinical experience.

How do you anticipate contributing to the TUSM community?

Is that basically supposed to be a diversity essay? Like how do we contribute to the diversity of TUSM's student body?

Is that basically supposed to be a diversity essay? Like how do we contribute to the diversity of TUSM's student body?

That is how I interpreted it.

My AMCAS was verified on 8/10. Is it weird that I haven't been invited to submit a secondary yet? I am OOS from CA.

Hey guys, I'm a current MS-3 at Temple. I absolutely fell in love with the place when I interviewed here and I have been very happy with my school. Please feel free to check last year's thread, or the one before that, for several long posts of mine regarding TUSM. I haven't had the spare time to contribute to this year's thread, as my first two rotations were very time intensive. I may be able to answer some questions in the coming months as I have several less demanding rotations in a row.

Hi guys,

Current MS1 at Temple Med.

I'm happy to answer any questions or PMs in regarding applications or the school, though really I find as med school apps go, there is no one size fits all. Since we pretty much just started classes, my app experience is still fresh in my head. It may take me a few days to check SDN though, so forgive me for that.

Regarding this question, for those of you not familiar with North Philly, I recommend, at minimum, e-visiting the area around the medical school via google street view.
Hopefully you will get the picture that the school and hospital plays a big role in keeping the community intact, by providing immediate access to healthcare, direct employment, supporting businesses, and attracting research funding etc.

So when thinking about 'TUSM community', don't just consider the diversity of each incoming class, think broadly!

Best of luck to everyone, don't stress too much! You have to save some of that for anatomy :cool:.

Received interview invite yesterday. In state, from the Philadelphia area, average stats. Interview the third week in September.

So I'm interviewing at another Philly school how do you think Temple feels about "in the area" e-mails?

So I'm interviewing at another Philly school how do you think Temple feels about "in the area" e-mails?

I tried it Thursday. I haven't heard back from them yet, but that doesn't mean it wont work for you!