2013-2014 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please PM me when the essay is available.

Thanks, GL to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys think it's worth applying to Tufts if you're already applying to ~20 schools? I figure since Tufts costs so ridiculously much (14k more tuition than vanderbilt, my #1!) that really even if I was accepted there, I'd rather go to my state school (Massachusetts). What do you guys think?

I'm not bothering, but that's me. Plus they've an asinine policy on AP courses where you have to take something from a specific department as a follow on course. In my situation, I placed out of physics, got two degrees in engineering plus grad work, and nailed the ps section of the mcat. But according to tufts policy I need to take a course on the solar system to meet their requirements. I'm saving my money, thanks.

Plus Boston isn't cheap either. Consider complete cost of attendance, not just tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think it's worth applying to Tufts if you're already applying to ~20 schools? I figure since Tufts costs so ridiculously much (14k more tuition than vanderbilt, my #1!) that really even if I was accepted there, I'd rather go to my state school (Massachusetts). What do you guys think?

The number of schools really depends on your strength as an applicant. If you have an outstanding application then applying to fewer schools is more reasonable, however if you are more average, then you may feel safer with an expanded selection. That being said, I I would not apply to any school that you would not attend. If you don't like Tufts, don't apply. If you know that if you got into Tufts you could not afford it, then applying to Tufts does not seem like a good idea. Finally, UMASS is a great option, however, don't assume you will get in, it is quite competitive because of its low cost and high quality.

I'm not bothering, but that's me. Plus they've an asinine policy on AP courses where you have to take something from a specific department as a follow on course. In my situation, I placed out of physics, got two degrees in engineering plus grad work, and nailed the ps section of the mcat. But according to tufts policy I need to take a course on the solar system to meet their requirements. I'm saving my money, thanks.

Plus Boston isn't cheap either. Consider complete cost of attendance, not just tuition.

Have you contacted the school to check the requirements? There were a number of schools when I was applying, which I did not qualify for based on there online requirements, but was told by the admissions office to apply to anyway.

Does that apply to AP credit for English as well?

The number of schools really depends on your strength as an applicant. If you have an outstanding application then applying to fewer schools is more reasonable, however if you are more average, then you may feel safer with an expanded selection. That being said, I I would not apply to any school that you would not attend. If you don't like Tufts, don't apply. If you know that if you got into Tufts you could not afford it, then applying to Tufts does not seem like a good idea. Finally, UMASS is a great option, however, don't assume you will get in, it is quite competitive because of its low cost and high quality.

Have you contacted the school to check the requirements? There were a number of schools when I was applying, which I did not qualify for based on there online requirements, but was told by the admissions office to apply to anyway.

yeah, this was by email, though to be fair, ididn't mention my mcat score. i did tell them that I've two undergraduate degrees in engineering, plus a masters, plus several years of engineering work experience, but they said their requirements apply to all applicants, and if i wanted to meet their prerequisites I'd have to take a course, any course, be it quantum or even intro to astronomy, from the actual physics dept.

Does that apply to AP credit for English as well?

yeah i believe so. you'd need to take something from the English department.

I'm strongly considering applying here (especially since last year's secondary essays didn't look too bad)

I'm most worried about the COA, though. 80k+ per year??? Is it at all likely that I would be paying sticker price? :(

EDIT: Source http://md.tufts.edu/Admissions/Financing-Your-Education/MD-Costs/Cost-of-Attendance-Details

Your actual costs will depend. They have a number of need based scholarships (not sure about merit based ones) that can help somewhat with costs. Also, small chunks, like health insurance or moving expenses will vary based on your personal situation. Even so I am the first to admit that Tufts is pricey. However, it is important to consider the relative cost differences between schools. Tufts may be around 80k, and many other schools around 70k, but that difference is relatively small compared to the overall debt load you will have from either school. If you really like Tufts' program and think you would be happy there, I think it is worth paying for.

Top choice for me. I would love to hear from any current students that spent the summer in Accra. Would love to have the opportunity to go back to Ghana! I guess because I'm a non-trad I don't worry so much about the cost. It almost always better to pay for quality especially when it's your future.

Last edited:

UMass is a very competitive and slightly inexplicable school... there is no guarantee that you will get accepted, no matter how stellar your app is. I got rejected from UMass last year and will be starting classes at a top 20 with a 50% scholarship this month. A few other people in the thread last year got acceptances at highly ranked schools and got rejected from UMass. Tufts is a good school with a rather easy secondary, I would apply just to be safe if I were you.

Sensible, though I always add on some additional schools because (a) what if there's a freak incident where state school doesn't pan out and (b) having options might mean being able to get some merit money out of those options.

That's relative; depends where you're coming from. Someone from OK will be repulsed by the cost of living, but I can tell you as a New Yorker Boston is by comparison not so bad - except when it comes to baseball...huzzah! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten a secondary here yet? o_O

I think Tufts sent their secondaries out pretty late last year as well (some SDN-ers reported 7/23 while most said 8/6). Luckily their secondary essays are pretty straightforward! :thumbup:

Could you post the secondary questions?

Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (If yes, given 1000 characters to write)

Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? (If yes, given 1000 characters to write)

Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) (If yes, given 1000 characters to write)

I'm confused from the comments above. Did people already get secondaries for this school?

If not, hopefully next week!

I'm confused from the comments above. Did people already get secondaries for this school?

If not, hopefully next week!

I just posted last years prompts. Im pretty sure they're not out yet for this year.

Got a secondary!

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

Yes No
2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?

Yes No
3. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

Yes No
4. Is any member of your family a graduate of TUSM or a current member of our faculty?

Yes No

Thanks for posting! Is there space to write essays? If so, what is the word/character limit?

Just got the secondary and submitted! :xf: Top choice!

Received as well! Easy secondary! :thumbup:

is everyone else's document status page blank too? doesn't even list what references they should be expecting

Submitted! Anyone else not do the first essay?

What are you guys writing for the optional essay? I have like 3 sentences of updates… Do you think that's a good idea? Or are people writing full out essays for this?

Received and submitted! One of the easiest secondaries :)

What are you guys writing for the optional essay? I have like 3 sentences of updates… Do you think that's a good idea? Or are people writing full out essays for this?

I just wrote out like 100 characters of update about my job. I really don't think it's necessary to write out a full essay! (1000 characters isn't even that much anyway)

I'm just adding a few sentences about my new job.

for the first essay, is anyone thinking of writing some stuff about "why tufts"?

is everyone else's document status page blank too? doesn't even list what references they should be expecting
same boat. Should we have been able to select letters of reference, or are the AMCAS ones designated just going (and should they show up?)

Anybody else not getting complete status on the "Application Fee" section after they paid?? I can't submit but I already paid and finished all the essays :(

Samesies. All my letters were in AMCAS at least a month ago.

Is it a Tufts problem with the letters not showing? Or a me problem?

for the first essay, is anyone thinking of writing some stuff about "why tufts"?

I didn't. I took that section as more of an update opportunity, which I didn't have anything, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention something specific at Tufts that interests you.

same boat. Should we have been able to select letters of reference, or are the AMCAS ones designated just going (and should they show up?)

I assume the letters you assigned from AMCAS will be sent without having to be re-selected. This is what my status page looks like:

Tufts_Status.jpg

I assume the letters you assigned from AMCAS will be sent without having to be re-selected. This is what my status page looks like:

Tufts_Status.jpg

+1 They'll probably update/upload the letters soon.

I wrote a "why Tufts" essay, I figured it couldn't hurt and I don't have any updates to report. When I applied for undergrad, they seemed to want students to express specific interest, so if that's what you were thinking I would go for it!

You guys think it's a good idea to use the first essay as a reapplicant essay (I'm a reapplicant)? I'm torn between using it for that or as a "why Tufts" essay, of which I have absolutely nothing to write about. :(

You guys think it's a good idea to use the first essay as a reapplicant essay (I'm a reapplicant)? I'm torn between using it for that or as a "why Tufts" essay, of which I have absolutely nothing to write about. :(

I would absolutely use it as a reapplicant essay, and maybe also a Why Tufts essay if you can split the characters between the two.

I used it to talk about my graduate education and how it would might pave the way to my success in their curriculum.