2013-2014 Uniformed Services University of the Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel exactly the same as you guys.

I just wish they shifted some dates for the application cycle so that all of this wait-list movement didn't occur right at the time the next applications are due. And so I could make a decision about pursuing other degree programs so I'm not sitting around next year waiting on Med-Schools.

Anyone sitting on an AF acceptance is welcome to email me. I'm considering offering payments for people to decline their seats so more spots open up (I WISH).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The lack of movement lately is kind of freaking me out... hopefully things start moving soon!
Is this your estimate or has this been confirmed by someone? Movement is probably expected at a school with these precepts, but maybe the applicant pool has been changing lately? The waitlist pool seems like it should get more movement considering the lack of students accepted above the class size threshold.

I don't know if anyone would know the answer to this but I tried emailing Dr. Saguil and he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I've been accepted to the HPSP program to attend another school but would rather go to USUHS, however, I am waitlisted here and my recruiter is asking me to commission for the HPSP in the next week or so...does anyone know if doing so would prevent me from being able to accept at USUHS if I do get off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if anyone would know the answer to this but I tried emailing Dr. Saguil and he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I've been accepted to the HPSP program to attend another school but would rather go to USUHS, however, I am waitlisted here and my recruiter is asking me to commission for the HPSP in the next week or so...does anyone know if doing so would prevent me from being able to accept at USUHS if I do get off the waitlist?

In the same situation! I asked about it during Second Look Day, and I was basically told that if you're on the Navy wait list, taking HPSP may be a better route, but if you're Army or Air Force you'll probably be okay. I wasn't able to get a clear answer from either my recruiter or from USUHS regarding if accepting HPSP prevents you from matriculating at USUHS, but if Dr. Saguil doesn't get back to you, I'd try contacting Mrs. Stearman or talking to your recruiter. My recruiter told me it would be okay taking HPSP as long as I didn't start receiving funds, but I wasn't able to confirm that with USUHS. It's a tough situation =/

Last edited:

I'm glad someone else is having this issue too. RoundEyes and I talk about this all the time. Neither of us have gotten clear answers from either USUHS or our respective branches. USUHS told me conflicting information and my recruiter did not know. I was going to do what RoundEyes said and not take any funds and hope that that is true.

@jvqd and @Duuuuuukes -- we should all talk to our recruiters about what happens if we're accepted at usuhs and then compare what they say! hopefully we all get the same answer and then we can make our respective plan of action :)

My recruiter said I had to choose one before commissioning and that I had 60 days from the day the committee selected me to do so before "a letter of non-activity will be sent" ...which puts me at May 17th...

Dr. Saguil worte back:

"In the past, the Navy has not required decisions until May--I wasn't aware that they moved it up this year. The point at which your are obligated to one program or the other varies by service. I'll have to ask our Navy colleagues to find out when this is for the HPSP scholarship versus USU. I'll need to get back to you on this one--I'll be able to find out soon."

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the update! I didn't realize that it differed between branches. If I get any updates about the AF HPSP vs USUHS I'll post it here. Thanks @Duuuuuukes !

My recruiter said I had to choose one before commissioning and that I had 60 days from the day the committee selected me to do so before "a letter of non-activity will be sent" ...which puts me at May 17th...

Dr. Saguil worte back:

"In the past, the Navy has not required decisions until May--I wasn't aware that they moved it up this year. The point at which your are obligated to one program or the other varies by service. I'll have to ask our Navy colleagues to find out when this is for the HPSP scholarship versus USU. I'll need to get back to you on this one--I'll be able to find out soon."

Thanks so much! I am Navy as well so I guess I have until about the same time as well.... Please update with more info if you can find any since I am in the exact same situation as you and I have not been able to find out much. BTW have you signed you commission documents? Or is that what makes you locked in? I'm supposed to get mine soon and I don't know if I should sign those yet.

Hey Guys,

I am a 2nd year at USUHS, class of 2016 and I'm living in a house with three rooms available starting in July:

-1 room on the second floor, master bedroom (most expensive)
-1 room on the first floor
-1 room in the basement
-All rooms run between 700-900 bucks. Util not included.
-Parking is available
-House is located on a street right off of Jones Bridge Rd.
-10 min walk to Downtown Bethesda,
-5 min walk to base (10 min walk to school)
-Roomates:
Me - male, 29, currently at Tripler on rotations and will be traveling around the rest of the year,
Second roomate is a female MD-Phd student, will be in the same graduating class as you, mid 20s, chill, has one dog, and likes to cook

Email: [email protected] and include in the subject line "I need USUHS Housing"

I was accepted back in the fall in the air force at USUHS. My family and I had a change of heart and decided that the military is not the best route for us. I withdrew my application last week. Best of luck to you all.

jdfamily, best of luck to you. I don't blame you, it is a big commitment. I was in for 8 years and worked along with many physicians that went to USUHS. I thoroughly enjoyed my time and experiences in the military and know the military route is what I personally want to do. For someone that doesn't have any military experience, it's a huge commitment -- if you break it down with med school, residency, and time owed, you end up being in the military for 15-17 years right off the bat!

I think it's great that there's not really a worry of financial hardships during your education, but I think you have to ask yourself whether or not you're ready to commit to the military for that long. It's a different environment than civilian medicine. Not just deployments, but also you can be in situations where people that are normally working under a physician are actually in charge or the physician due to military leader positions, etc.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I personally could see myself doing it if I didn't have wife and kids along the way. Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Just had a few questions about military medicine for any USUHS alumni or knowledgeable applicant.

1. Realistically, what is it like trying to balance your personal life with your military obligations? Like how much say do you get in where you live? The hours you work? Does it vary between branches (I applied AF)?

2. How would you compare the pros/cons of military and civilian medicine? I've read that the facilities, education, and resources on the military side can be lacking...

3. How realistic are the military matching statistics? I know they said they are very high but I've also read those aren't very accurate. I'm not excited at the thought of doing a GMO tour (any one have any insights on that?)...

Hi all! Just had a few questions about military medicine for any USUHS alumni or knowledgeable applicant.

1. Realistically, what is it like trying to balance your personal life with your military obligations? Like how much say do you get in where you live? The hours you work? Does it vary between branches (I applied AF)?

2. How would you compare the pros/cons of military and civilian medicine? I've read that the facilities, education, and resources on the military side can be lacking...

3. How realistic are the military matching statistics? I know they said they are very high but I've also read those aren't very accurate. I'm not excited at the thought of doing a GMO tour (any one have any insights on that?)...
oh boy. you are in for a rude awakening.

(I applied AF)?

Hey goldenbearMD. Military: BAD. Civillian: GOOD.
But... I may be biased because I am also AF and the more who decide against USUHS the better for me. JK, JK

In all seriousness, you posted some great questions. I have spent the last several months researching those as well and fortunately have a number of docs around me who went the HPSP route and a cousin who did USUHS. Their responses varied though depending on their personal situations. So there wasn't one answer for any of your questions. Some worked regular hours. Others were putting in lots of time. Some felt their education was lacking. Others thought they had top-notch stuff.

However, all of them told me that the main question I should be considering is whether I personally want to be in the military or not. Education, location, hours, etc... didn't matter for them. They either didn't like their experience because they realized the military was not for them. Or they loved it because a military career/military medicine is what they were looking for. Sounds weird because education, location, hours, etc... are all in the big picture. But those mean less if you are doing what you like, in a way you like doing it. If that makes sense.

Good luck getting some answers to your questions. I wish you more luck in discovering whether you want to be in the military or not.

Just withdrew my Army spot. Going to the U of Wisconsin. Hope one of you on the wait list gets my spot! Good luck guys and gals.

I just got my army slot yesterday. Dr. Saguil just offered me an army slot yesterday. He said there really hasn't been much movement on the army list just yet. It sounds like it will pick up at the end of the month/early may. Good luck to all those still waiting!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my army slot yesterday. Dr. Saguil just offered me an army slot yesterday. He said there really hasn't been much movement on the army list just yet. It sounds like it will pick up at the end of the month/early may. Good luck to all those still waiting!

Congratulations!! Happy for you! :)

I still haven't heard a thing... no letter or anything since my interview in Feb o_O

Oh well...

I still haven't heard a thing... no letter or anything since my interview in Feb o_O

Oh well...

Don't give up hope! I interviewed jan 16 and was told I would hear something within 8 weeks.
I received the letter via mail 8 weeks later (to the day!). And if I remember right, the ppl who interviewed after me were given an even longer wait period (more than the 8 weeks I was told I'd hear back by). :) good luck!

Quick question, I had to get a waiver for weight and hieght and submitted it about a week ago. Are they suppose to contact us if they got it and if we passed? I interview late febuary, and received a wait list letter in the mail and a waiver the same day. So far I haven't heard from them since early April.

So the paperwork for the height/weight and body fat should have had a checkbox -- you just go into a recruiter's station and get measured and get it filled out. If you not certain if you submitted it correctly, or if you pass you should contact Wilhemina Ramseur ([email protected]. If you want to check on the status of your DoDMERB physical, create and account and log on to dodmerb.tricare.mil; once logged on click on check status

I saw earlier that there is already a USUHS class of 2018 Facebook group -- does anyone know how to get an invite?

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Hey folks, I'm a class of 2014 (graduating soon!) USUHS student looking to rent out my 4BR/3BA house in Rockville for $2000/mo. I will be out by 1 June, so it will be available that early if someone wants to move their family before heading off to summer officer training. I can send more details if you are interested, so please let me know. If you are looking for something smaller/closer to school, I understand. I have a realtor who can help with rentals or purchases, and at least one classmate also renting out their place (I know of a 2BR condo close to school for $1800/mo). Just shoot me a PM and let me know which you want info about, or if you have any other questions you think I can help with.

Best of luck!

Great news! I am happy for you and for the wait list movement.

Just withdrew from my Navy spot. Good luck to all of you on the wait list!

Dr. Saguil just sent an email update on the admissions cycle. In it he discussed the Primary Waitlist (something I've seen discussed on this forum before). It essentially includes those who would've gotten an acceptance if there were open spots. I see some familiar names from this forum dropping USUHS. I am curious why, takeshikovascs? Dr. Saguil also discussed the merit based system of acceptance off the waitlist, which is not ideal for me because I interviewed in October :(. I believe that was when the waitlist just filled up. I was on the cusp, I suppose.

Snappaz - Did you request such an email, or was Dr Saguil's update distributed to everyone? What is the merit based system? Please explain. I interviewed in October as well. Especially curious about your interview date not being "ideal" for the merit system.

Dr. Saguil just sent an email update on the admissions cycle. In it he discussed the Primary Waitlist (something I've seen discussed on this forum before). It essentially includes those who would've gotten an acceptance if there were open spots. I see some familiar names from this forum dropping USUHS. I am curious why, takeshikovascs? Dr. Saguil also discussed the merit based system of acceptance off the waitlist, which is not ideal for me because I interviewed in October :(. I believe that was when the waitlist just filled up. I was on the cusp, I suppose.

Received a financial offer from another school that was too good to turn down. Really loved USUHS, so it was a very difficult decision to give up my Navy spot.

Snappaz - Did you request such an email, or was Dr Saguil's update distributed to everyone? What is the merit based system? Please explain. I interviewed in October as well. Especially curious about your interview date not being "ideal" for the merit system.

The email was sent to all of us on the Primary Waiting List. Those who did not get an email this morning are either on Hold, Alternate List, or rejected outright.

The email was sent to all of us on the Primary Waiting List. Those who did not get an email this morning are either on Hold, Alternate List, or rejected outright.

Thank you septimusserversus. That's what I was afraid of. I received a wait-list letter, but questioned whether I was a primary wait-list or alternate so I called and the admissions office confirmed I was on the primary wait-list, but I obviously didn't receive this update from Dr. Saguil.

Last edited:
I was bcc'd, so that means it probably was a mass email. I should probably just quote the good doc, instead of butchering his fine syntax:

"I know that I have had the opportunity to speak to most of you, but I wanted to take the time to reiterate some key information. The Primary Wait List (on which you currently reside) represents a highly favorable committee action. Had a spot been available, you would simply have had it offered to you! Unlike other schools, we do not overfill our class; due to our Federal funding we must stop offering acceptances once we have filled our 171 spots. That being said, whenever a spot opens up in each service, we review each member of that service's wait list for our next offer. It is a merit based wait list, so those entering the list later in the cycle have the same opportunity to be offered a spot as those entering the list earlier in the cycle."

That was from the man himself. He essentially confirmed a lot of things you all have discussed on this forum already. Sorry it took so long to reply. SDN was not allowing me to post earlier.

Dr. Saguil has sent that email out several times already. I received it back in February and I had another friend who received it sometime in March. I only received the email once and he has not included me in the email again since. If you are on the waitlist and did not receive the email, don't assume you are in a bad position. I think Dr. Saguil sends that email out in waves and doesn't include everyone on it each time he sends it out.

This is the email I received awhile ago:

"Yesterday, Thursday the 28th of February, we completed our interviews. One of the many remarks that I have heard throughout the cycle, from September through February, has been that your application group represents some of the most qualified and diverse students that this University has had the pleasure of hosting. Congratulations on that distinction!

I know that I have had the opportunity to speak to most of you, but I wanted to take the time to reiterate some key information. The Primary Wait List (on which you currently reside) represents a highly favorable committee action. Had a spot been available, you would simply have had it offered to you! Unlike other schools, we do not overfill our class; due to our Federal funding we must stop offering acceptances once we have filled our 171 spots. That being said, whenever a spot opens up in each service, we review each member of that service's wait list for our next offer. It is a merit based wait list, so those entering the list later in the cycle have the same opportunity to be offered a spot as those entering the list earlier in the cycle.

Last year, one-third of our eventual matriculating class came from the wait list. Spots were offered to almost everyone on the Army and Air Force lists, and to the vast majority of those on the Navy list. The list begins moving in earnest in May.

There is nothing for you to do at this point--no need! You have already made the cut. If, however, you wish to send updates, feel free to send them to your individual counselor."

Very good information today. Thank you all for the updates and info!!

That feeling when you get an email saying you're on the waitlist and a voicemail from a 301 area code three hours later but are still stuck at work... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I wouldn't be alarmed by people withdrawing. I think a huge percentage of the matriculates come off the wait list. It's pretty normal.

I really liked USUHS and would have attend over many of the schools I applied to. It just worked out that UW was one of my top 3, for various reasons, so I'm going there.

Just got offered a spot for Army. I didn't have a preference. I'm debating between here and my state school so I'm holding it for a bit. Sorry if I keep anybody waiting!

Does anybody know for certain whether those moved from the hold list to the wait list are on the primary waitlist. The various lingo is throwing me for a loop. I was put on the waitlist after the 28th, which could explain my uncertainty, but was curious if anybody knew. Much appreciated!

Does anybody know for certain whether those moved from the hold list to the wait list are on the primary waitlist. The various lingo is throwing me for a loop. I was put on the waitlist after the 28th, which could explain my uncertainty, but was curious if anybody knew. Much appreciated!

Similar situation as yourself. Moved from hold to wait list. My letter simply stated "wait list." I emailed my counselor and defined "wait-list" as being offered an open seat prior to "alternate list." Then asked according to that definition which list I was on. She simply replied with "wait list."

The jargon, and lack of recent emails sent to wait-listers, is confusing me as well. If I were to guess, however, I would say you are in the Primary Wait List, which is chosen before the Alternate List. Just based off my communication with admissions.

Similar situation as yourself. Moved from hold to wait list. My letter simply stated "wait list." I emailed my counselor and defined "wait-list" as being offered an open seat prior to "alternate list." Then asked according to that definition which list I was on. She simply replied with "wait list."

The jargon, and lack of recent emails sent to wait-listers, is confusing me as well. If I were to guess, however, I would say you are in the Primary Wait List, which is chosen before the Alternate List. Just based off my communication with admissions.

There is only one wait list. They probably use the term "primary wait list" to distinguish it from the hold and alternate lists, but the blue sheet they gave us at our interview is accurate.

I called yesterday and asked about the waitlist and was told if the sheet said the words "wait list" then you are on THE "waitlist" and not the alternate list or hold. The person who answered my call seemed a bit impatient with my question so I assume this is a common source of confusion people are asking about.

What trayman said is accurate hold list to wait list means you are on the "Primary Wait List", I am in the same boat as y'all. However, from what Dr. Saguil corresponded back to me those that came off the hold list are just at the very bottom of the Primary Wait List, I assume this is just because the people that are originally put straight to the wait list are better applicants. He has stated in the years past that people have come off the hold list to become accepted for the Army branch so we are still in the running.

I know it's a rough wait but, if it makes anyone feel any better, I was accepted 5 May my year, and I was just joking with my friend who is now getting ready to go to officer training (after our graduation next month) because she was accepted off the wait list so late. Unfortunately, people hold their spots as they make their decisions, but as that date to accept only one offer draws near (May 15th?) the wait list finally starts creeping along. Have faith!

Best of luck to all of you!

I know it's a rough wait but, if it makes anyone feel any better, I was accepted 5 May my year, and I was just joking with my friend who is now getting ready to go to officer training (after our graduation next month) because she was accepted off the wait list so late. Unfortunately, people hold their spots as they make their decisions, but as that date to accept only one offer draws near (May 15th?) the wait list finally starts creeping along. Have faith!

Best of luck to all of you!

During my interview, I met a guy who got accepted to USUHS last August. He was telling me about how everybody was helping him out, getting the uniform and customs right because he didn't get a chance to go to basic training. I really liked the widespread collegial atmosphere at USUHS. I didn't know people were sent to officer training during the following year. I suppose your friend would already know most of the stuff just from the year of exposure.

During my interview, I met a guy who got accepted to USUHS last August. He was telling me about how everybody was helping him out, getting the uniform and customs right because he didn't get a chance to go to basic training. I really liked the widespread collegial atmosphere at USUHS. I didn't know people were sent to officer training during the following year. I suppose your friend would already know most of the stuff just from the year of exposure.

Yup-- I'm graduating in a few weeks, so she's getting this after 4 years in. There are quite a few people from HPSP that end up doing it between 1st and 2nd year of med school or just after graduation (like her) and show up to residency a month later.

i got my unconditional acceptance yesterday for the Army. i interviewed 12/12 and got on the waitlist on 2/20. very excited and 100% going to USUHS this fall.

i got my unconditional acceptance yesterday for the Army. i interviewed 12/12 and got on the waitlist on 2/20. very excited and 100% going to USUHS this fall.

See you in San Antonio this summer!

Congrats SOMapplicant! I wonder how the Navy waitlist is going. I haven't heard much about it.

Just received the call from Dr. Saguil! Unconditional acceptance for Air Force :) :). So happy! Good luck fellow applicants! Your calls are coming soon.