2013-2014 Uniformed Services University of the Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know what the physical you're supposed to do before the interview is like? Just height/weight stuff or running/pushups etc??

Seconded, I would like to know this too.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the interview invite!! When were you complete?

Thank you. I sent them an inquiry as to my status on July 30 and was told that it was complete on July 31. I sent in the secondary before my app was released (24 July) though. So I was probably actually compete on the July 24.

They later sent me an e-mail asking for some clarification on something.

been complete since 7/3 .... silence after that. i wonder when they send out rejections

Just a heads up for everyone worrying about interview invites, I sent my secondary in the beginning of July and got a conformation that was received and my amcas was complete the beginning of august. I was getting upset I wasn't hearing anything from this school so I requested another conformation and my admissions contact emailed me back saying she didn't realize my amcas application came in so now im complete as of 8/20. It's a lot later than I would have liked but at least it's fine now and that could be the problem some of you are having. Hope this helps

Guys I have a big problem... I submitted my primary/secondary many weeks ago and just got an email from admissions. They want me to send in my Fall Semester graduate school grades before my application can continue.

Problem is, my Fall Semester grades won't be out till January! Does that mean they won't even look at my application till January?! I've heard this school is on a strict rolling admissions, so can I kiss my chances goodbye?

Just a heads up for everyone worrying about interview invites, I sent my secondary in the beginning of July and got a conformation that was received and my amcas was complete the beginning of august. I was getting upset I wasn't hearing anything from this school so I requested another conformation and my admissions contact emailed me back saying she didn't realize my amcas application came in so now im complete as of 8/20. It's a lot later than I would have liked but at least it's fine now and that could be the problem some of you are having. Hope this helps

My AMCAS went through on 8/8. Since then I received my complete email saying all my secondary materials had been received. Do you think I should send another email asking about my primary application too? Maybe they just haven't gotten to me yet?

My AMCAS went through on 8/8. Since then I received my complete email saying all my secondary materials had been received. Do you think I should send another email asking about my primary application too? Maybe they just haven't gotten to me yet?

Well if everything was in and then they send you a conformation I think you should just wait. I hope you hear back soon

The Medical Evaluation Boards are the medical requirements to determine if a soldier with medical problems can stay in the military. The 40-501 is the correct document for Standards of Medical Fitness. You will all become overly familiar with this publication if you go to USUHS.

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r40_501.pdf

Do keep in mind that there are exceptions that can be made for specific conditions, just as there is an opportunity for an age exception. Height/weight is not something that will probably be given a waiver. However, there is taping for those who have a naturally heavy build.

Congratulations on your interview. I sent my secondary mid-July, not verified until Aug 8. Hopefully they just haven't gotten to me yet!

Ditto, I submitted supplemental mid-July and my AMCAS was verified Aug 8th. I was getting pretty damn nervous that I hadn't gotten an interview invite yet seeing that there was a bunch of people here that already got them. Hopefully they just haven't gotten to us!

31 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, ROTC cadet and National Guard prior service, good ECs and awesome LORs

Let's keep our fingers crossed! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)

I just double checked the dates on all my emails received from the Admissions office. I received an email 4 days after I submitted my supplemental app in mid July saying they had received my supplemental materials. After my AMCAS app was verified on Aug 8, I got another email 4 days after that saying that USUHS had received all of my supplemental materials again.

Did you get an email after your AMCAS was verified? Also, in your original email that you submitted with your supplemental app, did you put in the subject line "CONFIRMATION REQUESTED" ?

I just double checked the dates on all my emails received from the Admissions office. I received an email 4 days after I submitted my supplemental app in mid July saying they had received my supplemental materials. After my AMCAS app was verified on Aug 8, I got another email 4 days after that saying that USUHS had received all of my supplemental materials again.

Did you get an email after your AMCAS was verified? Also, in your original email that you submitted with your supplemental app, did you put in the subject line "CONFIRMATION REQUESTED" ?

I requested confirmation again, also bc one of my rec letters was originally not on letterhead, so it included an update. They confirmed that they had everything.

Got an interview invite for Oct. 10 :)

For those that are wondering, I had sent in my supplemental app late July and my AMCAS was verified Aug. 8th. Stats are 31 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, National Guard prior service and current ROTC cadet.

Got an interview invite for Oct. 10 :)

For those that are wondering, I had sent in my supplemental app late July and my AMCAS was verified Aug. 8th. Stats are 31 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, National Guard prior service and current ROTC cadet.

I got an interview for Oct. 10 today too! USUHS is looking like my top choice. I was complete 8/20 and my stats are 34 / 3.7. I can't wait to meet everyone else that day

Just got my ii for October 10 as well. I completed my secondary in early July and my primary application was verified in early August.

I also received an II for Oct 10. Complete first week of August, 35 / 3.5, but no prior service (no family serving either) so this was a nice surprise for me!

been complete since 7/3 .... silence after that. i wonder when they send out rejections

Email them a status inquiry. I applied last year, got the "We have all of your application materials" complete secondary email in September, didn't hear anything until they asked for my secondary application again in November.

IMO the military is notorious for messing up or losing paper work. My advice whenever dealing with military paperwork: Expect mishaps, prepare for them. I should have asked for an update last year, but I was pretty oblivious to the whole application process.

I won't make that mistake again this year, but I'll wait a bit more before I ping them. I completed my secondary 14 AUG.

Email them a status inquiry. I applied last year, got the "We have all of your application materials" complete secondary email in September, didn't hear anything until they asked for my secondary application again in November.

IMO the military is notorious for messing up or losing paper work. My advice whenever dealing with military paperwork: Expect mishaps, prepare for them. I should have asked for an update last year, but I was pretty oblivious to the whole application process.

I won't make that mistake again this year, but I'll wait a bit more before I ping them. I completed my secondary 14 AUG.

I was going to email them about an update but I was afraid that I would come off as annoying lol. I mgoing to do it now. Thx

Did you get an interview last year even though they messed up the paperwork?

Interview on 10/10!
I thought this day would never come. I have been submitting my contingent resignation since 2010, but kept getting denied. I think PERS8 just got tired of seeing my name.

What are ya'lls thoughts on staying with a student?

On one hand it would be nice to get to meet someone prior to the interview. On the other I think I would sleep better @ the Navy Lodge. And coming from the West Coast the time change is going to be killer...

------------
Stats: 30MCAT, 3.8GPA undergrad, 3.9 grad. Submitted seconday early July, but AMCAS wasn't verified til mid Aug (Silly quarter system.) 8 yrs submarine service.

@jamiechan I asked for an update and they told me they didn't realize my AMCAS came in so it was a good thing I did. I don't think you'd be annoying them if the last time you checked was 2 months ago

@macarthur I would like to stay with a student. I don't have any prior military service so I have a LOT of questions haha. My flight was booked today so now I can start with those forms we have to fill out

@jamiechan I asked for an update and they told me they didn't realize my AMCAS came in so it was a good thing I did. I don't think you'd be annoying them if the last time you checked was 2 months ago

t

should icall them or email them?

I think email would be more appropriate

I believe the first set of interviews happend last week? Did anyone attend and have any feedback for us?

I believe the first set of interviews happend last week? Did anyone attend and have any feedback for us?
Hey everyone, I'll be interviewing there this Thursday so I'll let you guys know what it's like!

Interviewed the first day. It's a pretty great program. Morning is informational, tour of sim labs, time with student panel for Q & A, campus tours, and two interviews at the end of the day. The whole day really was 8-4 as they say in the emails. My first interview was with a retired col doing clinical research in the subject I'm doing basic research in so that was nice (45min). Not sure if the subject overlap was planned or not, he wasn't sure but thought it was funny. Second interview was with a 4th year student (30min). The sim labs are awesome. You spend a substantial amount of time there first and second year (relative to other schools I have interviewed at) learning clinical/procedural skills. The anatomy lab is massive. Both were very enjoyable. It's a laid back day so enjoy and remember your paperwork!

Last edited:
Interviewed the first day. It's a pretty great program. Morning is informational, tour of sim labs, time with student panel for Q & A, campus tours, and two interviews at the end of the day. The whole day really was 8-4 as they say in the emails. My first interview was with a retired col doing clinical research in the subject I'm doing basic research in so that was nice (45min). Not sure if the subject overlap was planned or not, he wasn't sure but thought it was funny. Second interview was with a 4th year student (30min). The sim labs are awesome. You spend a substantial amount of time there first and second year (relative to other schools I have interviewed at) learning clinical/procedural skills. The anatomy lab is massive. Both were very enjoyable. It's a laid back day so enjoy and remember your paperwork!

Thanks for the information! Were your interviews discussions or stress interviews and did you stay with a student host? Also about how many other interviewees are there?

Thanks for the information! Were your interviews discussions or stress interviews and did you stay with a student host? Also about how many other interviewees are there?

The first one was slightly stressful. It was conversational but he did ask the typical interview questions: why military medicine (this one is obvious but he let it go quickly because I have been shadowing one of his colleagues at Walter Reed for a year and I had a pretty good answer), why should we pick you over the other applicants, tell me about your research, what is a weakness in your application, and what is the most influential book you've read recently? The second interview was really conversational and she actually wanted to hear my opinion and experiences at Walter Reed because that is her top residency choice. One thing she asked me was, "how do you handle working with abrasive people?"

I did not stay with a host, simply because I live in DC. I would recommend it though. It saves you money and the student can give you a comprehensive explanation of why they chose USUHS and what it's like to go there.

30-40

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything in about a month. I got an email in early August stating that my MCAT was below average. It also asked if I was taking it again, if not, why? I sent my answer to Ms. Mayo and she emailed me back that my app would go back to the committee for another review.

I interviewed on the 12th as well. It was very relaxed. In the morning, they give a brief presentation on the school followed by a tour of their off-site simulation center (which is pretty cool, btw). When you get back you'll have lunch and get a tour of the campus. The interviews are right after that. my interviewers were an Army Colonel and a retired Navy Captain. The interviews are pretty typical, but also pretty laid back. Be able to answer the "why mil med?" question. Also be able to describe the advantages and disadvantages of mil med. Other than that, just relax. It's a chill day.

Don't forget your paperwork.

I received the same email in like mid August and Ms. Ferrell sent me back the same message after I responded.

II this morning for 31 OCT (will be rescheduling). Looks like every Thursday between now and 13 February (excepting Thanksgiving week and the last two weeks of December, New Year's week) is on the table, FYSA.

II this morning for 31 OCT (will be rescheduling). Looks like every Thursday between now and 13 February (excepting Thanksgiving week and the last two weeks of December, New Year's week) is on the table, FYSA.
Congrats! When were you complete?

I was complete and sent for review 8/28... wondering if I should email and ask for a status?

Last edited:
Uhhhh well I sent my stuff in August but didn't get a clinical letter uploaded into AMCAS until August 29th. So I guess August 29th?

I get sad when this thread is on page 4!

So, for the folks who finished the interview: What does the security office tell you when they contact you (via phone?)? Is it just about the SF-86 form or are there other stuff that they need you to do? I've read from previous threads that you need to bring your passport. Anything else? Cheers.

You bring your passport OR birth certificate, you show it at the office, and they check a box on a list. Interestingly enough they don't do anything with your paper work until you are accepted. They only start the background check when you get accepted because it's pretty expensive and time consuming.

Thanks for the info man. Did the security office get in touch with you at least a week before your interview? So they just tell you to bring sf-86 and passport/birth certificate and nothing else, right? That form is ridiculous by the way.

Yeah, all of the paper work and a passport is all you will need on interview day.

I know. Start it early. I think it took me 7 hours to fill it out.

Had my interview this past Thursday. Prepare for a long but informative and very laid-back/awesome day.

The school is at least a 15 minute walk from the Medical Center Metro Station. The interviews are conversational and fairly laid-back. Do your research on the school and military medicine though.

That said, the program is amazing. Great facilities, Bethesda is (in my opinion) a great location and you get some amazing opportunities that simply aren't available anywhere else. Also, 700 additional hours of training + 4 students/cadaver is pretty amazing.

So I guess the govt being shutdown won't help with the admissions process at this school...

So I guess the govt being shutdown won't help with the admissions process at this school...

Yeah, I'm sure you all just got that email about the physical exams. Concord just received my physical results yesterday so I won't be getting cleared by Dodmerb any time soon. I did a little digging and it seems Concord and Dodmerb will both be shut down. The employees are non-exempt so they are furloughed. We can expect delays! I'm not sure about the admissions side of things. Some essential personnel are exempt from the shut down so the admissions office may still be running. I just got sent home from work so it looks like unpaid vacation for me. It was a fun 1.5 day run.

Yeah, I'm sure you all just got that email about the physical exams. Concord just received my physical results yesterday so I won't be getting cleared by Dodmerb any time soon. I did a little digging and it seems Concord and Dodmerb will both be shut down. The employees are non-exempt so they are furloughed. We can expect delays! I'm not sure about the admissions side of things. Some essential personnel are exempt from the shut down so the admissions office may still be running. I just got sent home from work so it looks like unpaid vacation for me. It was a fun 1.5 day run.

I sent them an email a few days ago and there still hasn't been a response. Normally they are quick to respond. Feel like the admissions office got furloughed. :(

DODmerb must at least be partially running because I had action on my file today.

Has anyone that's going to the 10/10 interview heard from the security office or from a student host yet? Thank you