2013-2014 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same for me. This will be the third hold. I'm getting so discouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I have been on hold since september. But havent get any hold email yet! Do you guys think its rejection for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I have been on hold since september. But havent get any hold email yet! Do you guys think its rejection for me?

First hold. I'm so envious of you guys holding acceptances, I'm sending vibes out the universe to get all us holds accepted too!
Hi
I'm no expert, but I don't think they reject until March or so.

Has anyone been accepted to the Phoenix campus, but not the Tucson campus? I know that they are separate schools, but I am confused as to why I was accepted at the Phoenix campus on the first round and have been on hold at Tucson for 3 rounds. Does anyone have any insight they could offer?

Yeah, just got my first hold email from when I interviewed in December. I don't know. It seems more difficult each round if there are so many people already on hold. Congrats to those who have got accepted. Sigh... guess I got to wait it out through March and start preparing to apply again.

Third hold email today. Interviewed back in September. I hope I don't get rejected when march rolls around.

Has anyone been accepted to the Phoenix campus, but not the Tucson campus? I know that they are separate schools, but I am confused as to why I was accepted at the Phoenix campus on the first round and have been on hold at Tucson for 3 rounds. Does anyone have any insight they could offer?
I know you probably know this, but the admissions committees at Phoenix and Tucson are completely different and I believe they emphasize different things, like every medical school. I've known a few people that were accepted only to Phoenix or Tucson after interviewing at both. I'm IS and second time applying and got rejected at Phoenix first round and got 3rd hold email as well, but got OOS acceptances in Texas. Can't get into my state school but got into Texas where they accept only 10% OOS, I don't understand it! Applying to med school is obviously a crapshoot, but at least you have one acceptance!

I've heard that they tend to like different applicants. For example, the average age of the class of 2013 was 26. So they tend to accept non-traditional applicants. Whereas I think Phoenix accepts more traditional applicants. It really is just rolling the dice when you apply. I don't think I'll be getting in at this point considering it's already January. There are around 400 people on the hold list by now and by February (after accepting January interviewees) it'll be up to around 500. Since January interviews are the last, I think February is when they'll start creating a waitlist. Best of luck to the crowd of 400.

Funny. I am a nontraditional applicant so based on history you would think I would have the better shot at Tucson. I just don't know anymore. I am feeling very bummed out. Tucson is by far my top choice and I will be very disappointed to have to move up to Phoenix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed late September. Received my third hold e-mail. Good luck to all! This is also my top choice.

2nd hold email! Interviewed in October, wishing for some better news soon.. congrats to all who've gotten accepted!

at least you guys got interviews. i got a pre-hold interview

Accepted!!! Interview Date: December 14. Received an email of acceptance on January 18.

I'm OOS, 3.9 GPA, 38 MCAT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any idea if there will be another round of acceptances in January?

Any idea if there will be another round of acceptances in January?

I interviewed this past Saturday (1/18) and we were told that the admissions committee wouldn't meet again until after the last interview date which she mentioned wasn't until February. She told us the earliest we would hear anything would be March; so my guess would be no on another round of January acceptances.

Hi all,

I also interviewed on Dec 14th and received the hold email January 28th.

I just called the admissions office to ask how many more rounds would be send out: they said 3-4 more rounds of acceptances will be sent out, and we should be hearing again in about a month.

last date of interviews is February? sounds like pre-interview holds is pretty much a rejection

Hold x3, as well...beats one of the two alternatives!

Can anyone comment on what is going on with 3rd and 4th year rotations in light of the PHX campus development? As far as I understand we have to do all of the required rotations in Tucson but are we going to be able to do an elective rotation in one of the Phoenix hospitals? Is it going to be harder to match into a hospital in AZ other than UofA Medical Center in the future? I would love to stay instate for residency and the match numbers seem to show that only about 30% of people from Tucson campus stay here while about 50% of Phx campus students stay. Is this reflecting a preference or an actual difficulty matching instate?

Hi all,

I just called the admissions office to ask how many more rounds would be send out: they said 3-4 more rounds of acceptances will be sent out, and we should be hearing again in about a month.
Really, they will have 3-4 more rounds?! But I thought they were only giving out 1 acceptance per month now? How can they have 3-4 more rounds unitl March ( March is 2 months away) considering they have already given out acceptance in January. They should technically have only 2 more rounds (in February and March) until the final waitlist comes out in March?!?!

Hi all,

Yeah, I emailed in and they replied the same that right now the rate is once a month. They would be sending out acceptances for another few months.

last date of interviews is February? sounds like pre-interview holds is pretty much a rejection
It seems that way. I got my interview invite in October for an interview date in December.

Can anyone comment on what is going on with 3rd and 4th year rotations in light of the PHX campus development? As far as I understand we have to do all of the required rotations in Tucson but are we going to be able to do an elective rotation in one of the Phoenix hospitals? Is it going to be harder to match into a hospital in AZ other than UofA Medical Center in the future? I would love to stay instate for residency and the match numbers seem to show that only about 30% of people from Tucson campus stay here while about 50% of Phx campus students stay. Is this reflecting a preference or an actual difficulty matching instate?
Yes, you can choose to do an elective rotation in a Phoenix hospital. However, I believe it depends upon the specialty. So certain electives are only available at specific hospitals.

I know UofA has a P/F grading system (which is awesome), but is it ranked or unranked? Anybody know? thanks

I know UofA has a P/F grading system (which is awesome), but is it ranked or unranked? Anybody know? thanks
I recall being told that the class is unranked. The P/F grading system was put in place to remove competition between students and to foster an environment that is more conducive to collaboration.

I recall being told that the class is unranked. The P/F grading system was put in place to remove competition between students and to foster an environment that is more conducive to collaboration.

I was told it's ranked.

Anybody from California decided they're going to UACOM? I'm pretty excited to be going here. Loved the experience when I interviewed. Great school.

Did anyone else just receive this email (pre-interview):

Dear Applicant,

The Admissions Office has extended its interview season until February. Due to the extended interview season, you will be contacted regarding your final interview status by Friday, February 7, 2014.

Please email or call the Admissions Office should you have any questions regarding your status.

Dear Applicant,

The Admissions Office has extended its interview season until February. Due to the extended interview season, you will be contacted regarding your final interview status by Friday, February 7, 2014.

Please email or call the Admissions Office should you have any questions regarding your status.
I received this message. I was put on pre-interview hold in October. I just assume this was sent to every applicant still under interview consideration

Dear Applicant,

I just received this email as well and I've also been on a pre-interview hold for a number of months.

This is depressing…..we will learn our faith on Friday….

I was hoping to draw out some of my fellow post-interview "holdees" for comment on this, as well. I almost read that decision as being akin to: "The group we interviewed wasn't good enough so we're looking for more." I suppose it is also possible that they got a late start this year or that there is some other nuance. What is everyone else thinking?

I was hoping to draw out some of my fellow post-interview "holdees" for comment on this, as well. I almost read that decision as being akin to: "The group we interviewed wasn't good enough so we're looking for more." I suppose it is also possible that they got a late start this year or that there is some other nuance. What is everyone else thinking?

Good questions!

I got a similar feeling, but I am certainly hoping it is something other than that. It's tough to just sit back and wait. I want positive news of course, but at this point I would rather just be told either way. I feel like I need to mentally start preparing myself for bad news and the aftermath. However, it is hard to hold onto hope after so many months of being on hold.

I got a similar feeling, but I am certainly hoping it is something other than that. It's tough to just sit back and wait. I want positive news of course, but at this point I would rather just be told either way. I feel like I need to mentally start preparing myself for bad news and the aftermath. However, it is hard to hold onto hope after so many months of being on hold.
x2!

So true! Anybody know how many acceptances have been given out/ how many more will be given out?
x2, definitely worried at this point, and it does feel like this extension they are utilizing may be a negative view as to those (such as myself) who have already interviewed =/

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that they were adding interview dates to accommodate the unusually high number of applications this year.

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that they were adding interview dates to accommodate the unusually high number of applications this year.
That may be the case; however, it seems to defy basic logic to a certain extent. I can't imagine why they would interview more people if they still have the same number of seats to offer...regardless of the number of applicants? This whole process is so bizarre...

That may be the case; however, it seems to defy basic logic to a certain extent. I can't imagine why they would interview more people if they still have the same number of seats to offer...regardless of the number of applicants? This whole process is so bizarre...

Medical school process is a mystery for us applicants….however, the extended II is a good thing for me since I am still waiting for one from them. I hope I hear good news by Friday!!