2013-2014 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medical school process is a mystery for us applicants….however, the extended II is a good thing for me since I am still waiting for one from them. I hope I hear good news by Friday!!
No argument there...best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping to draw out some of my fellow post-interview "holdees" for comment on this, as well. I almost read that decision as being akin to: "The group we interviewed wasn't good enough so we're looking for more." I suppose it is also possible that they got a late start this year or that there is some other nuance. What is everyone else thinking?

This was my impression as well. I applied very late, but being an in-state applicant with strong stats I was still optimistic I would at least receive an interview. Hope this is my week for redemption. Good luck to all still waiting on II!

Last edited:
The impression I got from what I heard on interview day was that they simply decided to add an interview day in February because they received more applications than expected and wanted to give other qualified applicants a chance to interview. Not something I wanted to hear, but it's only fair to others who may have applied later and would like to go here.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's Friday- where's my rejection email!?

Reactions: 1 user
Have been checking my email every five minutes. No email yet.

I doubt they will send anything until after noon their time (it's just after 11 right now).

Everything I've received from Tucson to date has come around 1700-1800...

I don't think people who have interviewed already will get any type of notification...right?

My earliest communication came at 12:01 PM (I'm in the same time zone) Others have been closer to the times you suggested.

We have entered the "Golden Hour" ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre or post interview for you guys?

Received a rejection email a few minutes ago, good luck those still awaiting news!

Pre-interview rejection. Good luck anyone still in the running!

Rejected...I rather they reject me 3 months ago than put me on waitlist till now...

"we sincerely regret to inform you that we are unable extend you an interview and subsequently unable to consider you further for the fall entering class in 2014."

Because it wasn't crappy enough when you told me 6 months ago that I wasn't likely to get an interview...

In all seriousness though, I appreciate that they communicated with me throughout the whole process rather than not communicating the slightest peep since my application that I submitted last July... (cricket chirp)

Got rejected from here for the second time this cycle haha

Accepted. OOS with 3.6/30

Keep your heads up - numbers are not everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone remember from interview day whether or not they base post-interview decisions mainly on the interview vs a complete review of the application? I remember at one of my interviews they said numbers were mostly ignored once an interview was granted but I can't remember if it was this school...

I interviewed late November and got my first hold email a couple weeks ago. This is a top choice, and I keep vacillating between convincing myself that I blew the interview to getting my hopes up that I'll hear good news in March. Torture! I just wish they allowed updates/LOI, then I'd at least feel like I could do something about the hold.

@dontdothat317, were you on hold before your acceptance? And also, congratulations!

Does anyone remember from interview day whether or not they base post-interview decisions mainly on the interview vs a complete review of the application? I remember at one of my interviews they said numbers were mostly ignored once an interview was granted but I can't remember if it was this school...

I interviewed late November and got my first hold email a couple weeks ago. This is a top choice, and I keep vacillating between convincing myself that I blew the interview to getting my hopes up that I'll hear good news in March. Torture! I just wish they allowed updates/LOI, then I'd at least feel like I could do something about the hold.

@dontdothat317, were you on hold before your acceptance? And also, congratulations!

They review everything again after the interview.

Anyone else get any correspondence from the ADCOM? I was thinking that there wouldn't be another round of acceptances for another few weeks...

New to SDN and another applicant that interviewed on the first day back in September.

Tom Petty was right when he said waiting is the hardest part... :(

Not sure if anyone would know this, but I'll try anyways! When will they send out the next round of acceptances?? I hope it's soon!

Not sure if anyone would know this, but I'll try anyways! When will they send out the next round of acceptances?? I hope it's soon!

I heard it's this week!

I just interviewed on Feb. 8th and they said they would be getting back to us about their decision around early to mid-March. So most likely around then? Not sure if they'll be contacting earlier for those who interviewed earlier though.

Anyone been rejected post interview? I haven't heard anything other than 2 "continuing candidate" emails. Interviewed early September :(

Anyone been rejected post interview? I haven't heard anything other than 2 "continuing candidate" emails. Interviewed early September :(

Rejections go out in mid march regardless of interview date.

I just interviewed on Feb. 8th and they said they would be getting back to us about their decision around early to mid-March. So most likely around then? Not sure if they'll be contacting earlier for those who interviewed earlier though.

Nice. How did the interview go for you? Did you like the school?

I'm OOS, below average GPA, and interviewed early. Kinda hard to stay optimistic lol.
I hear you, I'm in the same boat. I interviewed in November, but it feels like a lifetime ago. And as far as I know, no one is rejected post-interview until March. So I can't quell the thought in my head that they knew they didn't want me back in November, but can't tell me until March. I'm dying here!

I hear you, I'm in the same boat. I interviewed in November, but it feels like a lifetime ago. And as far as I know, no one is rejected post-interview until March. So I can't quell the thought in my head that they knew they didn't want me back in November, but can't tell me until March. I'm dying here!
Exactly -_-

My sister went to UA for med school (a long time ago), and she said that one of the years she was there, the movement on the waitlist went into the triple digits. One of their classes was comprised primarily from people on the wait list. So, even if we get waitlisted, it's not the end of the world. You still have a chance of being accepted. Another friend of mine who currently goes to UA for med school said that they regularly see movement on the waitlist into the 50s. Gotta keep our heads up guys and hope for a waitlist in March.

My sister went to UA for med school (a long time ago), and she said that one of the years she was there, the movement on the waitlist went into the triple digits. One of their classes was comprised primarily from people on the wait list. So, even if we get waitlisted, it's not the end of the world. You still have a chance of being accepted. Another friend of mine who currently goes to UA for med school said that they regularly see movement on the waitlist into the 50s. Gotta keep our heads up guys and hope for a waitlist in March.
This is true; however, I've heard that Tucson had a lot of waitlist movement in the past because they only accepted their bare minimum initially (115 applicants), and then went to the waitlist. However, for the past few cycles,they have been over-accepting applicants. So, for example, they accept like 165 (and I 'm totally making this number up) initially, and then go to the waitlist. Thus, they only end up accepting like 10-15 people off the waitlist.

This is true; however, I've heard that Tucson had a lot of waitlist movement in the past because they only accepted their bare minimum initially (115 applicants), and then went to the waitlist. However, for the past few cycles,they have been over-accepting applicants. So, for example, they accept like 165 (and I 'm totally making this number up) initially, and then go to the waitlist. Thus, they only end up accepting like 10-15 people off the waitlist.

Oh man. I really hope you're wrong :/

So I'm in the same boat as many of you. Interviewed all the way back in September and have multiple "haven't rejected you yet" emails. Just hoping for a waitlist in March at this point. Anyways, I found this very detailed report about the admissions process at UACOM. Hopefully it helps shed some light on this crazy process.

http://medicine.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/u7/AdmissionsCommitteeReport2013.pdf

Some Key Facts from the Report:
Admissions Office received 4,199 initial applications via AMCAS. Of these, 3200 met the minimum standards of MCAT score of 22 and GPA of 3.0 and were invited to complete the secondary application.

2775 completed the secondary application and were scored by screeners under the direction of the Admissions Office. Of these, 600 were offered interviews.
In total, 572 applicants were interviewed with the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) system. After discussion in subcommittee, the scores for each applicant were
averaged across the 3 reviews. Applicants with top gestalt scores were then advanced to consideration by the full committee.

245 candidates were considered and ranked by the full committee. 174 candidates were offered acceptance in anticipation of filling 113 places in the class of 2017. 30 more candidates were accepted off the waiting list.

So, in sum. Out of ~600 interviewed, 200 acceptances. 1/3 chance post interview. As an OOS applicant, I'm not holding my breath. :(
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!

Reactions: 2 users
1 out 3 accepted post-interview seems to be the norm for other places I've interviewed. What's troubling to me is that they know which of us aren't even in contention anymore, but won't tell us until next month. That's some serious false hope.