2013-2014 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another hold letter as of 3 minutes ago.... This is seriously getting heart-breaking

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hold email. Interviewed back in September. Arizona, Y U NO ACCEPT ME

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaaah, the hold email...my old friend returns!

I too got another hold email. But it appears I'm in good company here, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

For those of us still on hold, does this mean that the next news we will hear is either wait list or rejection? Or is there another round of acceptances going out in February or March?

4th hold email. Interviewed in September. All of us "Holdies" should meet up and party for a month! Then when one of us gets accepted we can say "I'd love to attend your school, but you have to accept my drinking buddies as well." This will get us all in! I see no holes in this plan...I will buy the first round.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! I seriously cannot believe it.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got my first hold email... I interviewed on 1/11 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there is a facebook group? Couldn't find it. Thanks in advance.

hold email x3

Is March going to be a rejection/wait list situation or another round of acceptance?

Can anyone in the facebook group tell us how many students are in it? Perhaps it would tell us how ~many acceptances have been sent out!

hold email x3

Is March going to be a rejection/wait list situation or another round of acceptance?
March will be the final decision. Final round of acceptances as well as wait list and rejections.

An MSI told me that they have only accepted 70 students (including last night's round). But there is one more interview date left (which sucks for those of us on hold). To me, 70 seems rather low considering it'll be March pretty soon. But if that's the case, there is still lots of hope for those on hold! I'm wondering if anyone else has heard differently...

4th hold email. Interviewed in September. All of us "Holdies" should meet up and party for a month! Then when one of us gets accepted we can say "I'd love to attend your school, but you have to accept my drinking buddies as well." This will get us all in! I see no holes in this plan...I will buy the first round.
I second this plan.

An MSI told me that they have only accepted 70 students (including last night's round). But there is one more interview date left (which sucks for those of us on hold). To me, 70 seems rather low considering it'll be March pretty soon. But if that's the case, there is still lots of hope for those on hold! I'm wondering if anyone else has heard differently...
I hope this MS1 was correct. Maybe they wait until the end to do all the real accepting ;)

First-time poster here. Interviewed in Jan. and still waiting on a decision--loved the school! Can anyone explain to me how the clinical clerkships work in terms of site assignment? Specifically, say I wanted to do a rotation at a Phoenix site: is that possible? And if so, is that just for electives, or does that include required clerkships? Thanks!

wow this makes me feel a little better..

I'm considering applying here next year and trying to determine if it's worth it as an OOS student... does anyone know if AZ allows OOS students to become IS residents for tuition purposes for years 2-4? Good luck to all awaiting decisions!

I'm considering applying here next year and trying to determine if it's worth it as an OOS student... does anyone know if AZ allows OOS students to become IS residents for tuition purposes for years 2-4? Good luck to all awaiting decisions!

From what I've heard (being an AZ resident & going to UA for years) it's pretty hard to get instate tuition. It's not the medical school that determines AZ domicile, it's the Arizona Board of Regents. You have to make it very clear and convincing that you plan on staying in AZ permanently after school. I know some students who try to obtain AZ residency for years and are unsuccessful before they graduate. Here's a link to the page: http://registrar.arizona.edu/residency/aborpro.htm
However, the med school has been increasing the percentage of OOS students they accept, which is something worth thinking about because most state schools accept like ~1% OOS (if any). UA Med has said they will accept up to 50% OOS, which is pretty much unheard of for state schools.

I keep getting hold emails too *sigh*
Do they email acceptances? Or snail mail?

Anyone who interviewed in January receive acceptance this past round?

I got a hold email... I interviewed on the 11th.

I did too. I am assuming there is only one more round of acceptances then in March (with the waitlist/rejections)?

Oh wow they have only accepted 70 applicants so far?! Another interview date? So how many people are they interviewing total this cycle? Is the MS1 a legit source. LOL :)

Will we also get some sort of official letter in the mail about our acceptance?
Also anyone know where the facebook group is at?

Ya I am pretty confident that they have accepted way more than 70 people as of now but I just want to know if there is only one more more round of acceptances?

I'm pretty sure they've accepted about 120 students so far, I don't remember the exact number but I know for sure it's well over 70!

I don't know for sure, but my best guess would be around 40-50 more

Will we also get some sort of official letter in the mail about our acceptance?
Also anyone know where the facebook group is at?

You'll get an official letter in the mail about your acceptance with the same thing your acceptance email said basically.

1 out 3 accepted post-interview seems to be the norm for other places I've interviewed. What's troubling to me is that they know which of us aren't even in contention anymore, but won't tell us until next month. That's some serious false hope.

From what I was told on my interview date, the admissions board reviews the files of all unaccepted applicants each meeting. If that's the case then maybe it's actually more advantageous for us… but it does seem like that would be quite a few files to go through each meeting.

I don't know what to believe anymore :( I just want to know how many more are going to be accepted and when :/

Nice. How did the interview go for you? Did you like the school?
I thought the interview went well...I can only hope they thought so too! I left with an amazing impression of the school -- they did a great job hosting all the applicants and I want to go there now more than ever. Definitely my top choice school and hating this waiting game...

I thought the interview went well...I can only hope they thought so too! I left with an amazing impression of the school -- they did a great job hosting all the applicants and I want to go there now more than ever. Definitely my top choice school and hating this waiting game...

+1

I spoke directly to one of the Admissions Coordinators this morning...they have NOT filled the class yet. There will be more admissions rounds. They have not yet begun to reject post-interview, those are coming in March. At that same time in March, they're planning to start populating the waitlist.

I spoke directly to one of the Admissions Coordinators this morning...they have NOT filled the class yet. There will be more admissions rounds. They have not yet begun to reject post-interview, those are coming in March. At that same time in March, they're planning to start populating the waitlist.
did they say how many people they have accepted so far?

Congrats to all those who have interviewed. I wasn't sure if the SDN thread knew that tomorrow 2/21 is the last interview of the season. Just wanted to throw that out there.

- MS1