About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

2013-2014 University of Arizona Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by gettheleadout, May 9, 2013.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. StudentDrWho

StudentDrWho Student of Timey Wimey Bronze Donor

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have a feeling next week is going to go by suuuuper slowly waiting to hear any news.
  2. Jimsy

Jimsy

Pre-Medical
    I really like this school. Here are some pics from interview day:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1383450396.445288.jpg ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1383450427.994933.jpg ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1383450450.337167.jpg

Tucson is a nice city with a small town feel. Plenty of cactus and beautiful sunsets..good luck every one
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. eizeral

eizeral

Non-Student
    That's surprising they got back to you so quickly..! I submitted mine the week before you and haven't heard anything. :/
  4. kopssa

kopssa

Pre-Medical
    I am already trying to make myself busy this week! I am so excited! However my birthday is this week so I am just hoping I hear good news on my birthday over bad news! It could be the best birthday present ever or a "Happy birthday you are not going to your favorite school for medical school". Sigh I wish they would send them now!
  5. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    Tell me about it! Waiting is the worst part. Does anyone know how many acceptances will go out in the first round?
  6. Jimsy

Jimsy

Pre-Medical
    I actually think waiting is the easier part. I don't have to stress about upcoming interviews and have time to relax.

"To do nothing is also a good remedy."
    -Hippocrates

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1383489468.898961.jpg
    Lexipi likes this.
  7. bananapeel

bananapeel

Pre-Medical
    I was on hold for at least a month before I got an invite.
  8. mmikeee

mmikeee

Pre-Medical
    just wondering, do they send pre-interview hold emails to everyone that decide not to extend an II to? or do they actually send a rejection emails as well?
  9. eizeral

eizeral

Non-Student
    Well I haven't been rejected and haven't been sent an II, nor a hold email. But then again, I've only been waiting for about a month or so.
  10. kopssa

kopssa

Pre-Medical
    One day closer... =)
  11. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    It's only Tuesday and it seems as if the week has already been going on forever. I'm so anxious for the results. I would love to stay in Tucson. The Phoenix campus is beautiful and I loved it, but I would rather not move back up there!
  12. Nmarchib

Nmarchib

Pre-Medical
    Can anyone from Arizona speak to the differences between UA and UA Phoenix as perceived in the area? I have heard a lot of the technical differences and they're both great schools, I would just love to hear some insight into their respective reputations. For example, is UA where a lot of the research kids thrive whereas Phoenix tends to work more towards primary care (I made that up for the sake of example). Or does one have a starkly more positive reputation in the region? Thanks!
  13. StudentDrWho

Pre-Medical
    +1, I just wish we knew an actual day bedsides "this week". I mean, I am grateful to be in this position at all, but every time I get an email my heart skips a beat.
  14. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    Exactly! Knowing the exact date for Phoenix saved me a lot of stress. I wish Tucson was as transparent. I've been hitting refresh on my email obsessively.
  15. goodguygreg

goodguygreg

Pre-Medical

I'm willing to bet its gonna be Thursday.
  16. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    I grew up here and have worked here in healthcare for about a decade, so I *might* be able to speak to this...I would say the primary difference is just that Tucson has been here for decades and Phoenix is new. I'm not qualified to comment on whether or not that actually matters. The quality and reputations are basically equivalent, from what I have heard. What does "What I've heard" mean? I work daily with individuals who are in leadership roles over students and alumni from both programs and the general feeling is that both do a great job. I think the interviews made it clear that they are seeking slightly different demographics, but may just be my uninformed perception. One nice thing about Tucson is that it is attached (literally) to the "University Campus" of a health system that has two hospitals and many, many clinics. In Phoenix, you go out to sites for rotations. That's probably not a big issue, but worth mentioning. You could take a look at the board statistics from both campuses from recent history, as well.
  17. Nmarchib

Nmarchib

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the response. Does anyone happen to know the Step 1 averages of both schools in recent years? I don't believe they shared that at my Phoenix interview. I do know that Phoenix just reformatted their curriculum and this MS1 is the first class to use it, so that could effect scores. But does anyone have a ballpark for either school?

Also, just curious, what is your perception of the demographic difference? Purely out of curiosity, you don't have to share if you're not comfortable.
  18. kopssa

kopssa

Pre-Medical
    I am voting for Wednesday because it was Wednesday last year, however it was Wednesday the 7th! So we shall see, I am hoping for Wednesday because I just keep checking my email obsessively and having a mini heart attack every time I get a new email! I really want to stay in Tucson and I love the school!
  19. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    Yea, that can be a tricky question because it's just one person's subjective perception based on nothing more than interview days at both schools and other anecdotal info. I haven't been admitted anywhere so, the reality is, I don't know anything more than anyone else. I was paying a lot of attention to who else was there and what their backgrounds were. Like anyone else, I was interested in the "Competition." On my interview day at Tucson, there were a lot of non-traditionals; whereas, there were relatively few at Phoenix. Additionally, there seemed to be many more applicants at the Tucson interview who were definitely in-state or who had really deep ties to Arizona. More than half of the group I cruised around with at Phoenix were OOS.

One thing that I thought was interesting was how the student ambassadors at Phoenix answered a question I asked of them at Both campuses. In Tucson, when I asked them why they chose Tucson over other schools, I got replies like: "Cost" or "To stay close to home," etc. All three of my ambassadors in Phoenix said that was the only school they got accepted to. I felt really terrible after that and would never have asked them if I had known such an answer would have been forthcoming. I did make me think, though. What it signals to me is that Phoenix is looking for a certain type of student for their program. Three ambassadors out of hundreds of students does not a statistically-significant result make, however. Maybe some of the students from either program can weigh in?
  20. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    Interesting. All of the people I interviewed with in Phoenix were in state. I would say it was mixed 50/50 with traditional and nontraditional applicants. I am a nontraditional applicant and I have been accepted at Phoenix. All the student ambassadors I spoke to in Phoenix said they chose Phoenix because of the feel of the school and how they fit into it. Almost everyone I talked to said they were also accepted in Tucson. I only talked to about 5 students, so as you said, that is not significant. When I interviewed in Tucson, most students said similar things about cost and staying close to family as their reason for choosing that school. The entire process is mysterious. It's unclear exactly what each school is looking for.
  21. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    Exactly. It's really hard to know what to make of any of it.
  22. Nmarchib

Nmarchib

Pre-Medical
    I had a similar experience at Phoenix, I had no one mention it was the only place they were accepted, but it's possible they just didn't want to share that aspect. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input.
  23. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    One of the doctors I work with sat on several adcoms in the past. I once asked him how they pick applicants and he said they "Put the pictures of all of the interviewees on the wall and throw darts." He was joking, of course, but it sometimes seems like it might be true from the outside looking in!
  24. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    I hope your vote is correct! I'll be checking my email quite frequently today!
  25. MrTobiasFunke

MrTobiasFunke

Pre-Medical
    Yes! Please oh please let today be the day!
  26. StudentDrWho

Pre-Medical
    Looks like we may be waiting another day!
    orangesolve likes this.
  27. kopssa

kopssa

Pre-Medical
    I have been frantically checking my email all day and it looks like today is not the day!! Now on to tomorrow! I will just keep my fingers crossed! Good luck everyone!
    MrTobiasFunke likes this.
  28. MrTobiasFunke

MrTobiasFunke

Pre-Medical
    Me too. I got an email from another school today and just read the beginning of the address which was medschool@... and my heart dropped. Hopefully good news for all tomorrow!
  29. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    Was anyone told that it would be the first week of November or are we all speculating based on when they sent out the first round last year?
  30. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    All I remember the coordinator saying was "November..."
  31. QuantumQuark

QuantumQuark

Pre-Medical
    Army
    They said first week of November when I interviewed.
  32. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    That gives me hope! All they said at my interview was sometime in November.
  33. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1383790361.753515.jpg ...so, I've got this going for me...;)
  34. rocketd

rocketd

Pre-Medical
    For those who have interviewed, did you find it hard to fill the entire time given for each prompt with your response? Is it usually a situation where your examiner just waits for you to talk or is there usually interaction or back and forth involved?

My interview is late Nov. and I'm non-traditional, never had a chance to participate in a Mock MMI. Thanks for anything you can share.
  35. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    Most of the examiners are very friendly and introduce themselves after you do when you walk into the room. I found that some were move focused on the prompt while others made it feel more like a conversation. Either way, the time flew by for each prompt. It wasn't so fast that you left feeling like you didn't get all of your ideas out or make your point though. I am also a nontraditional student and I felt like that gave me a lot more to talk about when answering the prompts. I was able to draw on many of the experiences that I have had since graduating from undergrad that a lot of traditional students might not have had the opportunity to be exposed to. I'm hoping to hear good news today, but I obviously have not been admitted here so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have been accepted in Phoenix though and I felt both interviews were very similar.
  36. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    I agree almost completely. I'm also a non-trad. I felt like I was having a good time discussing ethics at a committee meeting, or something. It was even fun. The difference for me comes in with the comparison between the two interviews.

Maybe it had to do with the groups I was interviewed by at each campus, but I felt the overall tone and process were palpably different. I left Tucson's feeling like folks with a little more life experience had a bit of an edge. I didn't feel that way in Phoenix. Actually, Phoenix's could have been an interview for a management position at a rental care place, or whatever. In reading about the MMI, it's meant to be industry-neutral. It seems clear that these differences must be intentional and have to do with the desires of the school as borne out by the questions they create and later ask. Again, this is just one person's uninformed perception based on nothing more than the interviews themselves.

The only piece of advice I'm qualified to give another non-trad in this respect is to not second-guess yourself. Have a good time!
  37. goodguygreg

goodguygreg

Pre-Medical
    Anyone hear anything today?
  38. Lolita7

Lolita7

Pre-Medical
    no LOL
  39. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    e="goodguygreg, post: 14600755, member: 541427"]Anyone hear anything today?[/quote]
    There's still a little time left to hear today! Fingers crossed!
  40. goodguygreg

goodguygreg

Pre-Medical
    Alright, just called the admissions office and they said that the earliest we would know is late November - early December...
  41. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for checking in on it.
  42. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    The fortune cookie must have been referring to Phoenix...
  43. snowy1

snowy1

Pre-Medical
    How disappointing! I wonder why the first round went out so early last year...
  44. goodguygreg

goodguygreg

Pre-Medical

I think it might have something to do with the amcas lag this year. They may not have reviewed the necessary amount of apps yet.
  45. QuantumQuark

QuantumQuark

Pre-Medical
    Army
    Or their "super saturdays" weren't super enough. I was on the first interview day and wrote in my notes it would be the first week, but it was their administrative assistant presenting that told us so maybe it was more a guess then fact.
  46. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    I think we might have been in the room together when that occurred because I got the same message from the same person...
  47. kopssa

kopssa

Pre-Medical
    It is possible that they are not quite sure when they will start with acceptances but they estimated later because people wouldn't complain if acceptances were sent out sooner than the estimate. However, this just may be me hoping they will send them out before December!
  48. Macropipette

Macropipette

Pre-Medical
    It seems like many of the people who get interviews get the hold email first. I wonder if being on hold is a good thing...
  49. hope2b62a

hope2b62a

Pre-Medical
    They are having an alumni event over there today and this weekend for Homecoming. It looks like the Admissions folks are probably busy with all of that.
  50. kopssa

kopssa

Pre-Medical
    That would make sense! It will allow for me to have a relaxed weekend knowing I am not staring at my email all of the time!