2013-2014 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hold email as well. Pretty bummed. Congrats to those accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

hold email. another month of waiting :xf::xf::xf:… congrats to accepted!

Do they only meet once a month? So no one will hear anything again until January? I interviewed last month but haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted this evening! =D I cried.

Reactions: 8 users
After you interview then send you one of two different emails. The preferable email to get is the one that says "YOU'R IN" in a large font. If you don't get that you get one saying that others have gotten the "YOU'R IN" email but you haven't and and that they will continue to let you know every time they send out acceptances to others and not you... that is until you get an acceptance, rejection, or be put on the wait list some time wayyyyyyyyy later when you have already pulled out all your hair.

Ok thanks, just got the second one/hold email for the first time today :(

Last edited:
I got the acceptance email earlier! :) Congrats to all that were accepted and I wish the best to those on hold

Reactions: 2 users
To those who have interviewed, did any of you go to the activities the night before? I'm probably over-analyzing this but what's the dress code for that?? It would be nice not to wear a suit two days in a row... :p

To those who have interviewed, did any of you go to the activities the night before? I'm probably over-analyzing this but what's the dress code for that?? It would be nice not to wear a suit two days in a row... :p
I went to it and I definitely recommend it. Good way to meet fellow interviewees. There was actually a big turnout, probably 30+ interviewees. A lot of med students dropped by and talked. We also broke into small groups with med students to tour the school.

Depending on your interview schedule, you might have a tour after your MMI and presentations, which was my case. Since I did the tour on the day-before, I skipped this tour and was able to head out earlier. It didn't make too big of a difference for me (I caught a ride with another interviewee who did the same, which saved a taxi fare) but I knew others who were tight on time for flights.

If you can find the time to do it, I recommend it. Plus, there's free pizza!

Also, the dress is very casual. If you show up in a suit, you would look silly haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, the dress is very casual. If you show up in a suit, you would look silly haha

I figured! Just wanted to make sure of course. Thank you so much! I'm so frickin excited about this interview!!!!

I went to it and I definitely recommend it. Good way to meet fellow interviewees. There was actually a big turnout, probably 30+ interviewees. A lot of med students dropped by and talked. We also broke into small groups with med students to tour the school.

Depending on your interview schedule, you might have a tour after your MMI and presentations, which was my case. Since I did the tour on the day-before, I skipped this tour and was able to head out earlier. It didn't make too big of a difference for me (I caught a ride with another interviewee who did the same, which saved a taxi fare) but I knew others who were tight on time for flights.

If you can find the time to do it, I recommend it. Plus, there's free pizza!

thanks for the rec? what time approx did you get done? was it on one of those "super saturdays?"

Just got the acceptance email last night! I'm pretty sure I'm in shock still.

Congrats to those who were accepted! And to everyone else, keep on keeping on.

On hold until next month I guess. It's my second hold, but I'm not anticipated an early acceptance anyways because I have lower scores.

Hold email :(

i <3 UA still. i'm gonna come for some guero canelo when i get a chance. and breakfast burritos at highland...

thanks for the rec? what time approx did you get done? was it on one of those "super saturdays?"

If by super Saturday you mean a ton of interviewees, then yes. This was back in September, so I don't remember the exact number, but there were atleast 4-5 different MMI groups that day.

Does anybody know if they ever take you off of the post-interview hold mid-cycle? I got the hold email for the second time yesterday. Does this school wait until march or something then start sending out rejections/waitlists/more acceptances?

Any idea when how many interview dates remain?

my app was put on hold for interview consideration and i got rejected from phoenix today :p good luck everyone

Does anybody know if they ever take you off of the post-interview hold mid-cycle? I got the hold email for the second time yesterday. Does this school wait until march or something then start sending out rejections/waitlists/more acceptances?

You can be taken off hold at any time in the cycle and accepted. However, if you're not accepted by March, you will continue to receive countless hold emails till then. This is from my experience last application cycle. I lost count of how many holds I received. Mid to late March, you will either know if you're accepted, wait listed or rejected. I was rejected at this time last cycle.

This cycle, I received 2 hold emails and finally received an acceptance on 12/12. This process is really a crapshoot so hang in there to those still waiting to hear back!

P.S. I'm fairly certain I will be withdrawing so I hope my spot goes to another deserving applicant. :)

i am still pre-interview hold. Is that pretty much a rejection at this point?

You can be taken off hold at any time in the cycle and accepted. However, if you're not accepted by March, you will continue to receive countless hold emails till then. This is from my experience last application cycle. I lost count of how many holds I received. Mid to late March, you will either know if you're accepted, wait listed or rejected. I was rejected at this time last cycle.

This cycle, I received 2 hold emails and finally received an acceptance on 12/12. This process is really a crapshoot so hang in there to those still waiting to hear back!

P.S. I'm fairly certain I will be withdrawing so I hope my spot goes to another deserving applicant. :)

Thanks so much! You must be holding a nice acceptance somewhere else to turn down Arizona.

Also, did you send updates or LOIs after your interview?

Last edited:
Thanks so much! You must be holding a nice acceptance somewhere else to turn down Arizona.

Also, did you send updates or LOIs after your interview?

If I remember right, they don't accept updates or LOIs.

Last edited:
Anyone know if U of A -Tucson will send out another round of acceptances before the end of the year?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if U of A -Tucson will send out another round of acceptances before the end of the year?

You may have guessed by now, but from what I remember, at my interview they said no more dates through the end of the year (I interviewed Dec 14). Two dates in January and two in February to look forward to! Good luck to all!

Two dates in January and two in February to look forward to! Good luck to all!

Hi, I interviewed in November and they said they wouldn't make offers to November interviewees until January at the earliest. Did they tell you they make two sets of offers in Jan. and Feb.? Did they say when? My luck I'll get a hold anyway ;)

How are Arizona's lectures set up? Mandatory? Optional? Recorded/not recorded? Just curious....

How are Arizona's lectures set up? Mandatory? Optional? Recorded/not recorded? Just curious....
From what I remember, the lectures are optional and they are video-recorded (with the ability to speed up the lecture or slow it down, as well as zoom in). The students I talked to seemed to really appreciate that because it gave them opportunities to pursue other extracurriculars that they otherwise couldn't pursue with mandatory lectures.

They have an LCME team coming on site the 12th through 15th. I'm guessing that, if we don't hear anything tomorrow, it might still be a week or so...

Yeah, it has been silent. I interviewed on December 14th and haven't heard back yet, but that might just be me. We were told that everyone hears back at a different time. So our interview date might hear back any time in January or February. No one is rejected outright. They gave us the impression that everyone who isn't accepted is placed on hold potentially all the way up until classes start. There's two more interview dates in January (11th and 18th). Looking through last year's application thread, one individual interviewed on December 15th and heard back around January 18th.

I interview tomorrow, coming from Montana, but will not be able to make the pre-reception activities. Does this count against me by any means??

It doesn't, the pre-reception is a tour given by current UA medical students. After your interview you'll have another chance to take the tour if you so choose.

They have an LCME team coming on site the 12th through 15th. I'm guessing that, if we don't hear anything tomorrow, it might still be a week or so...
Thanks for the reply. It's been a while since their last round of acceptances, I hope we hear from them soon. There has only been 2 rounds of acceptances so fay, right?

Thanks for the reply. It's been a while since their last round of acceptances, I hope we hear from them soon. There has only been 2 rounds of acceptances so fay, right?
I'm not sure, maybe more? After my interview on 12/14, the lady at closing stated that half the class had already been filled. However, 3 individuals had already declined the acceptance so they had to go back and review to fill those 3 seats. I've personally been dying to hear back, but I can't imagine how November interviewees feel at this point if it's true they haven't heard back yet either.

Ever since December, I've been slowly convincing myself that I'm gonna get that hold letter haha.

I have been waiting since September to hear back. I understand how tough it is to wait. The adcom is meeting tomorrow so I am hoping with all of my heart for good news.

I have been waiting since September to hear back. I understand how tough it is to wait. The adcom is meeting tomorrow so I am hoping with all of my heart for good news.

Do you think they will notify us by tomorrow? Last year it was on a Friday.

They have sent out acceptances on a Monday and Wednesday so far this year. I really don't know when they will send the notifications, I just know they are having a meeting to review applications sometime tomorrow. I really hope they send them right away.