2013-2014 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am getting super nervous as the clock ticks closer to the evening...

Good luck everyone! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a rejection via email, good luck everyone else awaiting news!

Rejection letter :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the alternate list as well... I really hope there is movement!

Noooooooo, placed on the alternate list!!! I was really holding out for Phoenix :( but not too surprised since I interviewed wayyy back in Sept. Still grateful to have some hope though, even if the chances are slim. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!! I finally received the call I've been waiting on for years... I'm so excited, I can't even explain it.

Congratulations to everyone else who's been accepted.

For those of you who got a rejection letter, I wish you the best of luck with any and all other schools you are still waiting to hear back from. Rejection letters suck, I was crushed last year when I was declined admission but I am grateful to have had a year off to spend extra time with my family and to nurture my marriage. If any of you don't get accepted anywhere this year don't be discouraged. Take it as an opportunity to do something awesome that you might not otherwise have had the chance to do.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted as well! I cant believe it either!! Congrats to those accepted!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the acceptance call today too :) I was so pleasantly surprised to hear this news. Congrats to all accepted and for those of you who received a no or alternate list spot keep your heads up and good luck with the rest of the application process!

Congrats you guys/gals! I'm an alternate, too. Happy to be one at that! Got the news while I was half way up a trail...can't say I truly comprehended it until I was down ;)

Accepted!!! Have any of you who received acceptances today received an official email yet or seen a change in the portal? This might have been addressed over the phone, but I was having a hard time focusing with all of the excitement!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!!! Have any of you who received acceptances today received an official email yet or seen a change in the portal? This might have been addressed over the phone, but I was having a hard time focusing with all of the excitement!

You'll get an email next week apparently. Until then, celebrate and enjoy your weekend! It's been a long journey.

Members don't see this ad :)
After going through my 3 stages of rejection ( the uncontrollable waterworks, binge eating, and anger), I am now at peace with the decision and wanted to send my last post on this thread. Rejection is not fun but it is something we will all go through many times in our lives. This process was amazing and I was honored to even get an interview so thank you admissions for even giving me this opportunity. I wish it would have gone my way, but moving to Arizona is not in my plan apparently. Looks like I will be spending 4 more years in the Midwest. Good luck to everyone who will be attending this school! For those who got rejected/wait listed, may the odds be forever in your favor. There are other schools and there are many more years left to apply. We all are very determined individuals and we all will become doctors eventually because we make our dreams happen!

Reactions: 12 users
Need your input, SDNers

We have all been in a situation when a job, award, scholarship, etc was not offered and naturally we want to know why. What could I have gone better? What was wrong with my interview? Did I do something wrong?

In terms of medical school admission decisions, the same is true and every year, we receive hundreds of feedback requests.

Could you help me understand what aspect of your application do you most desire feedback by listing your top 3 things you'd like to know if you and I were having a conversation.

I am really working hard to find the right message that helps you move forward.

Need your input, SDNers

We have all been in a situation when a job, award, scholarship, etc was not offered and naturally we want to know why. What could I have gone better? What was wrong with my interview? Did I do something wrong?

In terms of medical school admission decisions, the same is true and every year, we receive hundreds of feedback requests.

Could you help me understand what aspect of your application do you most desire feedback by listing your top 3 things you'd like to know if you and I were having a conversation.

1) How strong were my letters of rec? Should I consider asking different writers if I reapply? (I'm not sure if you're allowed to share this in vague terms when we sign the agreement saying we don't want to see the letters)

2) What were some of the specific comments my interviewers made about me during their evaluation?

3) Would improvement of numbers make a difference or should gaining more experience be the primary focus?

Need your input, SDNers

When I think about what I'd like to know from schools that have rejected me, I think I'd want the following info:
- What was the biggest weakness/reason why I was not invited to interview or be accepted?
- What would the admissions committee suggest in terms of improving my application? Raise my GPA? Get more clinical exposure? More community service?
- Whether it was my performance in the interviews that prevented me from gaining an acceptance.

Also, Dr. Cunningham, when can we expect to receive the official email? I understand your office is pretty busy, though I am very anxious to get all the info! Thanks in advance.

When I was declined admission last year I wanted to know the following 3 thing:
1. What did the ADCOM perceive to be my biggest weakness?
2. Did my personal statement/experiences adequately demonstrate my desire to be a doctor?
3. How did I perform in the interview?

2. Did my personal statement/experiences adequately demonstrate my desire to be a doctor?
I would second these three...

This is what I would like to know also.

I hope it is permissible to be a little more specific but, based on my situation, this is what I'd like to know:
1. What type of interview stations (not mentioning specific scenarios) did I perform well on and where did I not perform as well?
2. What is the intent of the activities opposite the MMI (meeting with the Dean and the discussion with Dr. Cunningham) on interview day? How, if at all, are applicants evaluated in these situations?
3. How much of a role does the IS/OOS ratio play in the admission committee decisions? I'm confused on this because I've applied twice now as IS without success at either UA campus but have been accepted as OOS to other state schools.
Above all, I appreciate that the UA Phoenix admissions committee was so helpful and transparent throughout the process both times.

Hello Dr. Cunningham,

I was wondering if you could explain how you pull people from the wait list. Is there a ranking system? Or does it depend on the candidate that gives up their acceptance?

Thanks!

I was looking back at last year's thread and Dr. Cunningham stated that they meet again and try to place an alternate who is substantially similar to the individual who dropped an acceptance. I'm guessing it's the same this year?

I was looking back at last year's thread and Dr. Cunningham stated that they meet again and try to place an alternate who is substantially similar to the individual who dropped an acceptance. I'm guessing it's the same this year?

Correct, our process remains the same.

This is a silly question, but I have to ask. Has anyone been able to find UA-COM Phoenix swag? Like shirts or sweaters or whatever? There are a few things on the UA bookstore site but the only things available are sizes L and XL. I'm just trying to show my new wildcat pride!

This is a silly question, but I have to ask. Has anyone been able to find UA-COM Phoenix swag? Like shirts or sweaters or whatever? There are a few things on the UA bookstore site but the only things available are sizes L and XL. I'm just trying to show my new wildcat pride!
My understanding is that there are new designs in the works so hang tight :)

On the admissions requirements page it says, "All required coursework must be completed no later than the Spring Semester." I haven't taken physiology and would only take it if accepted to AZ PHOENIX. If most acceptances go out in the spring, I don't want to waste money on the class hoping for an acceptance. Could I not take Physiology in the summer before matriculating if accepted?

On the admissions requirements page it says, "All required coursework must be completed no later than the Spring Semester." I haven't taken physiology and would only take it if accepted to AZ PHOENIX. If most acceptances go out in the spring, I don't want to waste money on the class hoping for an acceptance. Could I not take Physiology in the summer before matriculating if accepted?

Highly doubtful. School starts early July. It would be impossible to do any sort of summer semester before matriculation.

Highly doubtful. School starts early July. It would be impossible to do any sort of summer semester before matriculation.

:(.... (crosses UofA Phoenix off list)

We're you wait listed, is that why you delayed taking the course?

No I haven't applied. I am compiling a potential school list for this upcoming cycle. Does UAZPHoenix accept very many people before the start of spring semester? I can't really fit/afford/want to take physiology unless I absolutely have to.

No I haven't applied. I am compiling a potential school list for this upcoming cycle. Does UAZPHoenix accept very many people before the start of spring semester? I can't really fit/afford/want to take physiology unless I absolutely have to.
when does your spring semester start? This year interviews and decisions are done by mid to late january.

If you're applying this upcoming cycle, you have lots of time to take physiology before potential matriculation. You would have this summer and all of next academic year before school would start in July 2015. If UA Phoenix is high on your list, it would be to your best interest in taking it as soon as possible at your local cc or university. Plus, it won't hurt to have an extra, very relevant science course for other schools anyway.

To save some frustration for next years applicants, I hope U of A Phoenix considers changing their rejection email f0r in-state students, or changing some of the requirements for the instate post bac program. For in-state students, you are simultaneously rejected, but at the same time selected for a special U of A Phoenix post-bac program. Great! Then you discover you've been 'selected' for a program designed for students who "lack the sophisticated learning and time management skills to succeed in medical school." Which, well, that doesn't feel very nice when you are being rejected.

That program's intent is to save a small allotment of seats to students if they complete the program. The program requires students to retake the MCAT and score at least a 22. My score was a 35, but I was informed by the program coordinator that I must still pay the fees for a prep course and re-take it anyway to get above a 22. If all rejection emails for in state students are going to be paired with an invite to the post bac program, the stringent mcat requirement should be alleviated so students can focus on whatever specific weaknesses they are considered to have.

Last edited:
If you're applying this upcoming cycle, you have lots of time to take physiology before potential matriculation. You would have this summer and all of next academic year before school would start in July 2015. If UA Phoenix is high on your list, it would be to your best interest in taking it as soon as possible at your local cc or university. Plus, it won't hurt to have an extra, very relevant science course for other schools anyway.

I still need to take quantum, p-chem, thermodynamics, quantitative analysis, biochem, and a couple business classes... I don't think I can squeeze physio in there :(.. this is good to know though, because I was hoping just to take it the summer before matriculating at a cc .. I guess I could always just apply and if by chance accepted by beginning of january I could hurry and sign up for the class.. haha but if I happened to get accepted and wasn't enrolled in the class that would suck

Come on...waitlist movement! Phoenix is hot and Gila monsters will bite you. Best leave this danger to me! :D

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted to UA- Tucson last night and will be officially declining my offer at UA- Phoenix. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. I am sure my seat will go to a very deserving applicant! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted to UA- Tucson last night and will be officially declining my offer at UA- Phoenix. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. I am sure my seat will go to a very deserving applicant! :)
Congrats and thanks!

Alright, alright...since the Gila monsters didn't do it...allow me to offer up this guy:
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1396628510.137726.jpg

Crotalus atrox. Arizona is full of him and his evil cousins just lying in wait to pounce on unsuspecting, incoming medical students. I assure you, I am willing to brave this danger in your stead! :D

Alright, alright...since the Gila monsters didn't do it...allow me to offer up this guy:
View attachment 180043

Crotalus atrox. Arizona is full of him and his evil cousins just lying in wait to pounce on unsuspecting, incoming medical students. I assure you, I am willing to brave this danger in your stead! :D

I am also willing!! Save yourselves!! :D

Hello Tara!

Is there anything we can do as "waitlisters" to show our interest in attending UA Phoenix Med this coming fall? I realize people are pulled from the wait list depending on who relinquishes their spot, but if sending in a letter of intent lets the committee know how much I would love to be a med student there, I'll send one in a heartbeat.

Thanks!

Hello Tara!

Is there anything we can do as "waitlisters" to show our interest in attending UA Phoenix Med this coming fall? I realize people are pulled from the wait list depending on who relinquishes their spot, but if sending in a letter of intent lets the committee know how much I would love to be a med student there, I'll send one in a heartbeat.

Thanks!
Decisions are rendered based upon your completed application. Updates/intent letters do not factor into the process. We will not likely have an update for the alternate pool until mid-to late May. Remember, April 15 is a deadline to declare, but the majority of schools utilize the May 15 deadline and as such, many students may be offered a wait list spot elsewhere as those programs experience movement. This is when we expect movement, if any.

Dr. Cunningham

Thanks Dr. Cunningham! I can work with that. It gives me plenty of time to convince people how awful it is here :)

Enter exhibit three:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1397094894.700707.jpg

When you accept your admission to Phoenix, you live near saguaros
When you live near saguaros,
Saguaros crush your car
When saguaros crush your car, you deal with your insurance company
And when you deal with your insurance company, you get angry and do poorly on your boards....

Don't get angry and do poorly on your boards!

Last edited:
Well...this isn't looking good!
Don't mean to rain on any parades but when I went to second look back in April there were only 3 undecided acceptees in the crowd of 60ish acceptees that I met... Two of them have since confirmed their acceptance

Don't mean to rain on any parades but when I went to second look back in April there were only 3 undecided acceptees in the crowd of 60ish acceptees that I met... Two of them have since confirmed their acceptance
Yea, it is what it is.

do any incoming students need a roommate/ know of good places to live near campus. I will be interning at TGen (which is on the campus of UA Phx) this upcoming year and am looking for an affordable apartment near the campus.