2013-2014 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have still not received a secondary and I double checked, and I did mark the correct University of Arizona Medical School. I have had trouble reaching the admissions office by phone, is the admissions number in the MSAR correct?

It might be that your application is not verified by AMCAS just yet, or to double-check that you applied to "Phoenix" and not "Tucson" medical school - both UA.

602-827-2005 is our office number. Please be sure to leave a message when you call and a return call will be made within 24 hours. [email protected] is another way to contact the office.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Cunningham,

Does Public Health coursework fall under the following category?

BEHAVIORAL AND SOCIAL SCIENCE-RELATED
2 courses from the following: cultural anthropology, economics, healthcare administration, psychology, public policy, sociology, family studies, political science, history, or behavioral health.

Thank you in advance!

Yes, we would accept a public health course for this section.

Dr Cunningham
If an applicant is invited to interview, is it to the applicant's advantage to interview early? In other words, will the admissions committee begin to review candidates for acceptance right away in August or after more candidates are interviewed (closer to Oct 15)?
Thank you.

The committee will begin reviewing as soon as the first interview day is complete, and will start building the "roster" of candidates to announce on the first day possible, Oct 15. Personally, I would interview as soon as the schedule allows so that I had as much time in front of the committee and before "seats" begin filling, if you will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody excited to be applying here?! This is my second year applying and I got waitlisted here and I am really hoping for good luck this year!

Same here! Second time applying, also waitlisted last year. At least we know what to expect this time around ;) Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Same here! Second time applying, also waitlisted last year. At least we know what to expect this time around ;) Good luck to you! :thumbup:
Yay! I am not alone =) I remember her saying that they send out the interview invites "later in July" and I can't help but think as every day goes by that it is later in July ;) Hopefully we are both in the first batch!

AMCAS verified today at 10:15, secondary invite sent at 10:16. That was a fast turn around... VERY excited about this school.

Yay! I am not alone =) I remember her saying that they send out the interview invites "later in July" and I can't help but think as every day goes by that it is later in July ;) Hopefully we are both in the first batch!

Well one of their emails did say that the first day of interviews is August 5 which is less than two weeks away...

Well one of their emails did say that the first day of interviews is August 5 which is less than two weeks away...
Really? I must have missed that! Then it should be any day now! I am very excited about this school!

Really? I must have missed that! Then it should be any day now! I am very excited about this school!

From secondary request email.

"UA Phoenix Med will interview fewer than 435 applicants to build a diverse entering class of 80 students over the duration of 12 interview days, beginning on August 5, 2013 and ending on January 13, 2014."

From secondary request email.

"UA Phoenix Med will interview fewer than 435 applicants to build a diverse entering class of 80 students over the duration of 12 interview days, beginning on August 5, 2013 and ending on January 13, 2014."
That is so exciting!! I'll cross my fingers for an interview invite soon! =D

To the best of my knowledge they will invite Arizona residents for the first interview days

To the best of my knowledge they will invite Arizona residents for the first interview days
I know, that is why I am excited because I am an Arizona resident :) That gives me a higher chance for the first invite over the later interview invites!

I just got my interview invite for this school yesterday! I'm very excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am IS. Last time I applied, I did not even get an interview so I'm very happy to get the first interview day this time!

I am IS. Last time I applied, I did not even get an interview so I'm very happy to get the first interview day this time!
Congrats! I believe they usually send invites out in batches so it looks like I am not in the first batch. =( Oh well here is hoping for the next one!

Is anyone else having trouble submitting their secondary? I'm not able to submit it. The option is grayed out on the screen...

Edit: Never mind. I guess it took a while for my picture to load and it was preventing me from submitting. Finally able to get it out about two hours after initially adding my photo for everyone else's reference. Come on UA - Phx... super excited about this school.

Last edited:
Dr. Cunningham,

How many acceptances were given last year to form the class of 80 matriculating students?

Thank you for being such a big help to us in this process!

Dr. Cunningham,

How many acceptances were given last year to form the class of 80 matriculating students?

Thank you for being such a big help to us in this process!

You can find that info in the 2012-2013 thread, but I believe it was around 130 initial offers, 4 wait list offers with 2 of those offers being accepted.

You can find that info in the 2012-2013 thread, but I believe it was around 130 initial offers, 4 wait list offers with 2 of those offers being accepted.

I don't believe that info is specifically on the website.

Interview invite today.... Man, that was a fast turn-around. Very excited!!

Dr Cunningham,

I am a re-applicant (waitlisted last year), and just retook the MCAT.

I have 2 questions:

1. Will UAPhxMed consider ALL my MCAT scores, just the most recent, or just the best score?

2. Will it hurt my application to have retaken the MCAT if I don't improve?

Thank you!

Dr Cunningham,

I am a re-applicant (waitlisted last year), and just retook the MCAT.

I have 2 questions:

1. Will UAPhxMed consider ALL my MCAT scores, just the most recent, or just the best score?

2. Will it hurt my application to have retaken the MCAT if I don't improve?

Thank you!

We take all into consideration and a neutral score is neither negative nor positive, which means its rather subjective. Honestly, we'd expect to see an increase assuming you studied differently for the next exam. Otherwise, it may be considered repeating bad habits. But, a decline would have been troublesome, considered a loss of content..

Last edited:
Secondary is in. Good luck to all who are applying!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I was hired this past week as an Emergency Room Technician; however, I have submitted my AMCAS application already and it is currently in the process of being verified. Since I can't add anything on my AMCAS appliation now, would you recommend I add/describe my new Emergency Room Technician position in my secondary prompts? I was thinking about writing about that to answer the question: " Elaborate on what has occurred in the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine." I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Dr. Cunningham!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I was hired this past week as an Emergency Room Technician; however, I have submitted my AMCAS application already and it is currently in the process of being verified. Since I can't add anything on my AMCAS appliation now, would you recommend I add/describe my new Emergency Room Technician position in my secondary prompts? I was thinking about writing about that to answer the question: " Elaborate on what has occurred in the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine." I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Dr. Cunningham!

Absolutely appropriate - congratulations!

Dr. Cunningham, my application status says "interview not scheduled yet". Just curious, is that an indication that I will for sure receive an interview? :) Or am I just getting excited for no reason?

Dr. Cunningham, my application status says "interview not scheduled yet". Just curious, is that an indication that I will for sure receive an interview? :) Or am I just getting excited for no reason?

That's what it says as soon as your application is complete.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I had a quick question. For the clinical letter, would a letter from a physician I am currently shadowing be acceptable?

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I had a quick question. For the clinical letter, would a letter from a physician I am currently shadowing be acceptable?

Yes - a letter from a current experience wherein you are observed in a clinical setting is what we desire.

I'm pretty excited about my application this year. I'm a reapplicant, somewhat non-trad, OOS. Good luck to everyone! This process is brutal.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I am almost done with my application and am about to submit, unfortunately my clinical letter is not ready yet, but will be within the next two weeks. Would it be okay to submit my application with my other of letter of recommendations and send in the clinical letter as soon as it is available, or should I wait until the clinical letter is ready? Thank you it advance!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I am almost done with my application and am about to submit, unfortunately my clinical letter is not ready yet, but will be within the next two weeks. Would it be okay to submit my application with my other of letter of recommendations and send in the clinical letter as soon as it is available, or should I wait until the clinical letter is ready? Thank you it advance!

I would definitively submit so the verification process can get under way while the letter is received.

I just submitted my secondary app! I'm an OOSer with lots of family in the Phoenix area. Hoping for some love.

Last edited:
Hello, all,

Just wanted to say that I am super-excited to be interviewing applicants tomorrow! Seems like such a long time ago that I was in your shoes; I truly relish the opportunity to work with applicants and rekindle that excitement. Good luck to all of you!

Brrooother

Dr. Cunningham,

Would an English Comp and an Intro to American Lit. satisfy the English requirement?

Thanks

Dr. Cunningham,

Would an English Comp and an Intro to American Lit. satisfy the English requirement?

Thanks

Yes. Any course offered in the ENG department satisfies our requirement. This makes me wonder how else we can articulate the course expectations for easier understanding by our premed community.

Could SDNers help us better define our course requirement information? What more information could we provide on our website to better inform everyone what subject/course area is expected for each of our required sections?

Your suggestions are welcomed as reply to this thread - we will take your feedback and enhance our course listings.

Thanks!

Yes. Any course offered in the ENG department satisfies our requirement. This makes me wonder how else we can articulate the course expectations for easier understanding by our premed community.

Could SDNers help us better define our course requirement information? What more information could we provide on our website to better inform everyone what subject/course area is expected for each of our required sections?

Your suggestions are welcomed as reply to this thread - we will take your feedback and enhance our course listings.

Thanks!

From what I have seen with this thread "neurotic" SDNers are taking advantage of the fact that you respond to every question that they ask. They either don't bother to look at the very clearly laid out requirements on the website or they ask anyways "just to make sure". I think the UA Phoenix site is probably the most clear site regarding admissions requirements, guidelines, etc.

I appreciate the times when people ask questions that matter and you respond, but most of the questions have obvious answers on the website.

from what i have seen with this thread "neurotic" sdners are taking advantage of the fact that you respond to every question that they ask. They either don't bother to look at the very clearly laid out requirements on the website or they ask anyways "just to make sure". I think the ua phoenix site is probably the most clear site regarding admissions requirements, guidelines, etc.

I appreciate the times when people ask questions that matter and you respond, but most of the questions have obvious answers on the website.

+1!!! Well said, and more polite than what I was thinking.