2013-2014 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings! I'm technically OOS (by about 20 minutes) but I would be thrilled by the opportunity to attend medical school here. Best of luck to everyone!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: Results are pending :eek:

I have excellent ties to the state of Arkansas, does this still factor into the interview decision for OOS applicants at this school?

Greetings! I'm technically OOS (by about 20 minutes) but I would be thrilled by the opportunity to attend medical school here. Best of luck to everyone!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: Results are pending :eek:

I have excellent ties to the state of Arkansas, does this still factor into the interview decision for OOS applicants at this school?

Those are great stats! I'm applying in-state this year. I'm not exactly certain about how interview invitations are decided, but from what I have heard, strong ties to Arkansas are a big bonus. I can only imagine that this would be helpful in getting an interview invitation! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also applying as OOS (Georgia). I have some ties to Arkansas though (my father used to work there).

Those are great stats! I'm applying in-state this year. I'm not exactly certain about how interview invitations are decided, but from what I have heard, strong ties to Arkansas are a big bonus. I can only imagine that this would be helpful in getting an interview invitation! :thumbup:

Thank you. I sure hope it helps. UAMS is a great place and is definitely in my top 2 choices. Best of luck on your application!

Applied OOS last year, got an interview. Fell in love with the campus and Little Rock. The Assistant Dean's speech prior to the interviews pretty much summed up exactly what I'm looking for in a med school. It literally brought me to tears although I hid it pretty well I think :cool:

Looking forward to this year and hopefully I won't make a complete fool of myself in the interview this time

:hello: I'll be lurking this thread as much as I can this year. The other more senior students were a big help answering questions this past year so I'd like to help as much as I can. Don't know if I'll be much help as a first year, but at least maybe we can help answer some questions about the curriculum changes this year as we experience and work through them.

Best of luck to you guys. :)

Got the MCAT scores back today. 12,10,10! Hoping that will be sufficient MCAT-wise for an OOS interview... :luck:

Congrats on the great score! That seems pretty consistent with interview invites from last year.

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement! I am looking forward to possibility of attending UAMS. Hopefully I will see you all around! Best wishes! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the emails about the secondary being mailed/instructions and the email with the OOS information! Looking forward to this, hoping to have the secondary sometime this week!

I'm an OOS applicant here too. I was wondering what percent of their incoming class are OOS students?

My gpa is 3.8-ish and MCAT 33. Is it worth applying even though I have no ties to Arkansas?

Yea I'd also love to know if it's worth applying with zero ties. It seems like this school is especially in-state biased but their percentiles on MSAR lead me to believe I'd be a competitive applicant.

Yea I'd also love to know if it's worth applying with zero ties. It seems like this school is especially in-state biased but their percentiles on MSAR lead me to believe I'd be a competitive applicant.

Since its a state school, there is a LOT of preference for Arkansas residents. After that, they want people who have ties to the state. That is not to say that you must have strong ties. I'm a starting M1 and had no ties to Arkansas. You do have to show that would you uniquely contribute to the incoming class though... Good luck!

Hi, I'm OOS 3.68, 3.51 29S and I live in NJ. My only tie I can claim is when I went to Fayeteville and when I stopped in Little Rock as a rest stop to the Ozarks. Does this work at all or do I have to do some extreme spinning?

Hey all, sorry I'm a little late to the party but I'm a current M4 and wanted to chime in and say if you guys have any questions that you want a current student perspective on (admissions or otherwise, I try to stay pretty plugged in with the admissions department) I'm happy to try and help. There are some great current and former students that will post on here from time to time so don't be afraid to use them as a resource.

It's definitely worthwhile if your stats are good. They are of course quite selective on their OOS applicants (and becoming even more so as application numbers continue to increase), but if you get invited to interview the odds aren't too bad from that point on.

-Matt

I was wondering if I have a shot at this school:

GPA&cGPA: 3.31
MCAT:31
Unique EC's

OOS; but have close relatives who have been living in Arkansas for the past 30 years.

The email said that OOS have to have 3.6 GPA to be competitive so I was wondering if I should bother to even send my secondary?

Any IS applicants complete the interview yet? If so, how did everything go?

Because they don't do rolling acceptances, UAMS has two primary interview dates for in-state applicants. IIRC one is in October, the other is in November.

In state applicants will interview in October, November, December and then OOS students will interview in January. I've got the dates around here somewhere, but it's normally about the middle of each month for the IS and early/mid in January for OOS.

-Matt

So I really thought I assigned LOR's to the school when I submitted the secondary a while back. But apparently I did not.

Now I can't seem to find the letter requirements (was probably on the physical secondary). Does anyone know what the letter req's are so I can assign the correct ones? Thanks.

What do we need to include in the letter regarding strong ties? Do we have to include the contact information?

I know for sure that the October interview date is October 5 because it's the day after our final gross exam.

As far as letters of rec go.... http://com.uamsonline.com/files/2013/07/COM_cat_2013-2014_For_Applicants.pdf There's a section on how if there's a premed committee at your school, and it has been less than two years since you graduated, you have to do that letter for sure. All other letters are optional and it provides some info on those. Says up to three for that category so with committee that'd be four total.

Stumbled back across it trying to catch up on email:

"Interview Days" for the 2014 admissions cycle are scheduled for the following Saturday mornings:

October 5, 2013
November 16, 2013
December 14, 2013
January 11, 2014 (OOS)

-Matt

Sup guys! In-state 3.5c / 3.9s / 38 applying for the first time.

I've been ramping up my excitement for the Oct. 5th interview day for the last couple of weeks. I'll be the kid yapping away trying to talk off the nerves hahaha. Can hardly wait!

Interviewing tomorrow! So very nervous! :eek: :scared:

...but also excited to get it over with! :D

Interviewing tomorrow! So very nervous! :eek: :scared:

...but also excited to get it over with! :D
It'll be a good experience! The interviews are very laid back, we're interested in getting to know you and making the day as relaxing as possible.

Good luck to the 85 of you interviewing in the morning! I'll see some of you tomorrow, and remember, don't be afraid to ask questions. The interview days are for you too; this is your chance to learn more about the campus, the faculty, and what it's like to be a student here so take advantage of it.

-Matt

Feels good to have the interview over with! I felt like it went pretty well, mostly a laid-back, conversational, get-to-know-you type interview. It was actually a good experience. Good luck to everyone still waiting to interview!

Agreed! So relieved that it's over! It was such a great experience...very laid back, and they all made me feel so comfortable. Hopefully the interview can help overshadow my low (super low) MCAT score!

Now for the wait...

Hi everyone,

I am an OOS applicant. I had an okay GPA and a low MCAT score. I am recently finishing up graduate school with a 3.6 GPA. Will that help? I am also genuinely interested in the medical outreach program. Do I stand a chance? Does UAMS look at graduate GPAs?

Without exacts, it's sort of hard to tell. There's several people in the M1 class that did graduate work, myself included. I have no clue what GPA's they would like to see from that though. There's only a small amount of spots for OOS, and they have a higher MCAT average than the in-state. What medical outreach program are you exactly referring to?

Any November interviews out there? I think I'm scheduled to volunteer for that day.

Reactions: 1 user
Without exacts, it's sort of hard to tell. There's several people in the M1 class that did graduate work, myself included. I have no clue what GPA's they would like to see from that though. There's only a small amount of spots for OOS, and they have a higher MCAT average than the in-state. What medical outreach program are you exactly referring to?

Any November interviews out there? I think I'm scheduled to volunteer for that day.

I am interested in the rural practice program. I know because I am OOS that I cannot receive the scholarship and very unlikely to even be considered, but I am hoping to practice in rural areas one day. Would it be acceptable to mention that in the "Strong Ties" essay? I have family (not close, second cousins & ect.) in Arkansas but that is about that only connection I have with the state. I was told by one lady in the admissions office that it was okay to mention I had strong ties because I am interested in the rural practice program and told by another lady it was not. I just want to give myself some kind of chance.

I don't really know much about applying out of state, but given that they accept such a small amount from outside Arkansas... I'd say whatever I could to convince them. Some people don't have family here at all - so regardless of whether or not they're close family, I still think it might be worth a mention. As far as rural practice goes, I personally don't think it would hurt either. I'd be curious to hear other people's opinions and also curious who told you it was a bad idea.... I look at it this way - the rural thing is probably one of Arkansas' strengths, as is primary care. Essentially by saying you are interested in those things - to me it's only implying that you are interested in something that is sort of "unique" or "characteristic" of the school. Some people may think it sounds like you're just saying things they want to hear (but if they're true who cares??) Lord knows I've heard of plenty of in-staters talk about "primary care" in their interviews.

Thanks! That was really helpful. How does UA feel about graduate research and publishings? Are they just mainly conserned with undergrad GPA?

Hi all. I was wondering how many OOS interviews they typically offer. Since OOS interviews are only offered on one date, I assume it would probably not be more than 40 or 50. Also, do they ever wait list OOS applicants, or just accept/reject?

Last edited:
Thanks! That was really helpful. How does UA feel about graduate research and publishings? Are they just mainly conserned with undergrad GPA?
If it's something that you worked hard on/was meaningful to you, it's definitely a positive. A lot of people do that to help make up for "okay" undergrad GPAs and it often works.

Hi all. I was wondering how many OOS interviews they typically offer. Since OOS interviews are only offered on one date, I assume it would probably not be more than 40 or 50. Also, do they ever wait list OOS applicants, or just accept/reject?
They'll normally interview around 100 OOS applicants. Each interview date is typically 80-110 applicants divided into three interview time groups, and the OOS group is normally on the higher end of that range. They can take up to ~24 OOS students so the odds are actually pretty decent (in the med school admissions game anyway) if you're invited to interview. I would say that from my experience the majority of OOS students that end up attending UAMS were initially waitlisted.

-Matt

Hey guys, would it be too late to add Arkansas now? I am an OOS student with some connection to Arkansas with average stats (3.6/31). Have they already given out their OOS interviews?

Thanks, Matt, for your information. I will keep my fingers crossed! I have a grandmother and other relatives in Searcy and Dardinelle, but I am a California resident, so I am hopeful that the powers that be see that as "strong ties".

Hey guys, would it be too late to add Arkansas now? I am an OOS student with some connection to Arkansas with average stats (3.6/31). Have they already given out their OOS interviews?
No idea actually, I haven't been around much lately to hear how far along they are. Call them and talk to Linda and maybe Tom if you're seriously interested. (And have a good reason for waiting to add them.)

Thanks, Matt, for your information. I will keep my fingers crossed! I have a grandmother and other relatives in Searcy and Dardinelle, but I am a California resident, so I am hopeful that the powers that be see that as "strong ties".
Happy to help. That sounds like strong ties to me! A lot of the OOS students I know have no ties/much weaker ties but must have written the best "I drove through Arkansas once" or "My cousin twice removed lives in Arkansas" stories the admissions committee had ever seen.

-Matt

OOS interview invites going out next week most likely. Good luck to you OOSers. If you have any travel/etc. questions feel free to hit me up.

To the in-state crew, I will miss your final interview day unfortunately but best of luck on the 14th.

-Matt

Hi Matt,
As an OOSer, I was wondering how we might get an interview invitation - for example, by phone, email, or snail mail?
Also, do you know if the school would like updates of our final grades for this term if we have them now?

Hi Matt,
As an OOSer, I was wondering how we might get an interview invitation - for example, by phone, email, or snail mail?
Also, do you know if the school would like updates of our final grades for this term if we have them now?

They used to send them out by mail but I'm honestly not sure what they do now, I haven't asked. I'd keep an eye on email and mail just to be safe. And yes, send those 7th semester grades in!

-Matt

Hi Matt,

I was wondering if you had any information about the early acceptance notifications that will be sent out next week as well as in January. Specifically, do you know what factors go into selecting those who receive these early acceptance notices? Obviously, MCAT score is a significant factor, but is one's home district also taken into consideration (e.g. do they take around five from each of the four districts in December and then take five more from each district in January)? I've heard mixed things from both my advisors as well as current students. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Any OOS got interviews yet???

Hi Matt,

I was wondering if you had any information about the early acceptance notifications that will be sent out next week as well as in January. Specifically, do you know what factors go into selecting those who receive these early acceptance notices? Obviously, MCAT score is a significant factor, but is one's home district also taken into consideration (e.g. do they take around five from each of the four districts in December and then take five more from each district in January)? I've heard mixed things from both my advisors as well as current students. I'd appreciate your feedback.
I honestly don't know the answer to this question and I'm not sure anyone but the adcom truly does, but in the past I had heard that MCAT score is the biggest factor along with whatever other mysterious criteria they decide makes a candidate more likely to go elsewhere if not offered an early spot at UAMS. I have also been told conflicting things about the districting, but I believe that district is also a consideration in the early offers just as it is in the regular round (otherwise it can make the regular round a bit more complex and considering the already unusual way the admission committee works I can see why it'd make more sense to follow districting rules the whole way through).

That relatively unhelpful tidbit aside, I'll give my annual "early offer" advice to you all: Expect nothing in the mail until February. The reasoning behind that is obvious; less than 1/4 of the eventual class will be offered spots in the early rounds so the odds are against you hearing from them. But the real reason I say that is for your own mental well-being. There's no sense getting worked up/stressed out over the early mailings and then being disappointed if you don't hear anything during that time (remember, most people don't), and if you go into this stretch expecting pure silence until February then anything you hear earlier is a happy surprise.

Sorry, wish I had better information to offer you on that one but I've actually been away the last two interview days so I'm not quite as on top of things this year.

-Matt