2013-2014 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1,500 characters with spaces).

Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1,500 characters with spaces).

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,500 characters with spaces).

GL to all applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current upperclassman here, will try to answer questions now and then.

I lived my first 18 years in Irvine :) I decided to go away for college but would adore the chance to come back. I'm a re-applicant here and I want an interview this time around! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
CA resident hoping for some love here as well. :love:

I lived my first 18 years in Irvine :) I decided to go away for college but would adore the chance to come back. I'm a re-applicant here and I want an interview this time around! :luck:

One of my top choices! So Cal resident!

One of my friends went here for medical school. I loved the campus! She encouraged me to apply but she is a CA resident and I am not... anyone know just how exactly OOS unfriendly they are (I know it's definitely less OOS, but to what extent)

One of my friends went here for medical school. I loved the campus! She encouraged me to apply but she is a CA resident and I am not... anyone know just how exactly OOS unfriendly they are (I know it's definitely less OOS, but to what extent)

According to their website, they do not give preference to CA residents. If there is an 'unofficial' CA preference, I do not know to what extent it affects admissions. However, bear in mind that CA is chock full of pre-meds, so it's not surprising that some 80-90% of matriculating students are from the UC system.

-Bill R.

Just got the secondary! So excited since this is one of my top schools! :)

Secondary:

What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1,500 characters with spaces).

Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1,500 characters with spaces).

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,500 characters with spaces).

Just got a secondary as well. Incredibly excited! What are the criteria they screen for before they send out secondaries?

I just received a secondary too! :)

They also have you fill out your activities as well as course pre-rec (similar to Davis, minus the activity descriptions).

I haven't received a secondary yet. Bummer :( Maybe they're really taking their time with the screen.

What does everyone think about the 1,500 character limits (as opposed to 1,800 as in previous years?) (did it really change?)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it changed... unfortunate as I pre-wrote the last 2 questions already based on the 1800 character limit. :(

Although I noticed that it allows you to type more than 1500 characters in the boxes with no issue. Not sure what that's about.

How are people entering the "dates" for activities?

Just got a secondary earlier today! I'm OOS too, so maybe Irvine is being honest when they say they don't give preference to Cali residents?

I'm having difficulty entering dates for activities as well. There isn't enough room :/

secondary submitted! socal resident here, one of my top choices!

For entering activities, are you all just listing a brief title/description or writing more info in that small box?

EDIT: just realized I can't keep typing. Brief title it is!

anybody know if the prompts are the same for MD/PhD applicants? or if there are any additional essays?

Just got rejected 3.75 gpa/ 34 MCAT. My first rejection so far, I have no clue what I did so wrong to get out a flat rejection this early in the cycle

Just got rejected 3.75 gpa/ 34 MCAT. My first rejection so far, I have no clue what I did so wrong to get out a flat rejection this early in the cycle
Ugh I'm sorry :(. Still a whole cycle ahead of you! Sucks to have bad news right away though. Was this pre or post secondary?

Woah, that is early! I'm sorry :(

I am assuming that's a pre-secondary rejection? When were you verified? Are you really a CA resident, too?

Also rejected. Post-secondary, 3.73 GPA / 35 MCAT, In-state.

Did you guys receive it in the email?

omg...now I am really nervous. My app status is "under review' right now...submitted secondary on 7/12

Also also rejected. In-state, 3.57c/3.82s GPA, 37 MCAT, non-traditional applicant. Got an email and initially thought it could be a glitch or something but logged into the status check and it said "Interview not granted - 07/15/2013" and "Final Decision - 07/15/2013".

Really disheartened to get a flat-out rejection this early, especially from Irvine. Ugh.

Also, this was a post-secondary rejection for those of you wondering. Had my secondary in the day after receiving it.

Man, this is making me nervous. My MCAT is lower than these getting rejected :(

Did you guys receive it in the email?

omg...now I am really nervous. My app status is "under review' right now...submitted secondary on 7/12

I got the news in an email. It seemed like a quick turn-around. At least faster than I expected!

And best of luck to you! I hope you get good news :)

I got the news in an email. It seemed like a quick turn-around. At least faster than I expected!

And best of luck to you! I hope you get good news :)

Thanks! Also, did you submit secondary on 7/12?

Good luck on the rest of your cycle! I am sure you are bound to get into somewhere good with your stats!

People are getting post-secondary rejections and I haven't even received a secondary yet! Anybody else in the same boat?

Verified 7/8, CA resident, re-applicant

EDIT: received secondary today, 7/15

Last edited:
I was verified first day of the application process and submitted my secondary a couple days ago. I am a California resident who goes to UCSB with a 3.75/ 34 mcat I was rejected today through email.

Haven't got a secondary yet, but UC Irvine does screen before sending secondaries right? Also rejecting a 3.7 gpa and 34 mcat?! Thats kind of insane almost unbelievable and judging from the people posting rejections with their stats Irvine must have a very competitive app pool this year. Also is UC Irvine the school that prefers people from SoCal?

Man, this is making me nervous. My MCAT is lower than these getting rejected :(

I would not worry too much about that. Clearly it's just a piece of the puzzle. Although it is strange that these rejected applicants are mostly IS but that could possible be due to the fact that they are reviewing IS applicants first. But then again, the SDNers represent such a small sample size of applicants so it could just be coincidence that they are all IS. I dunno, my pointless speculation is just me trying to kill time at work.

I may have speculated as to why I have been rejected. I have not yet completed the genetics requirement yet, however I did mark in the AMCAS application that I was planning to take those courses in my fourth year of schooling.

Oh shoot... I didn't complete my premedical requirements either.

I also have not completed the pre-requisites at this time either. However, I did list the courses as planned for my fourth year as well. I hadn't thought that this could be a significant factor in the decision making process.

I may have speculated as to why I have been rejected. I have not yet completed the genetics requirement yet, however I did mark in the AMCAS application that I was planning to take those courses in my fourth year of schooling.

Genetics isn't a requirement, its just strongly recommended. Even if it was, they can't reject you on that basis, requirements don't have to be completed at the time of submission. In any case, no point in dwelling on it, seems like you're a solid applicant - you'll find luck elsewhere.

I was verified first day of the application process and submitted my secondary a couple days ago. I am a California resident who goes to UCSB with a 3.75/ 34 mcat I was rejected today through email.

Sorry to hear that. About your stats, though, I am sure you will get in somewhere!
If it was pre-secondary.... either there is something wrong with your primary or we should all be flipping s***. Thankfully, it isn't.

I did not find out until now that UCI requires a full year of biology lab and a full year of chemistry lab. Maybe thats why? I am now waiting for that post-sec rejection.

Just got my II. Panning to submitted by Thursday :) So happy.

I never took a Stat course, but I did take a sociology course that was heavy on statistics. Should I include that? Or am I out for this school? :confused::confused::confused:

I never took a Stat course, but I did take a sociology course that was heavy on statistics. Should I include that? Or am I out for this school? :confused::confused::confused:

I doubt sociology would fulfill the statistics requirement unless your school offered that particular sociology course through the math department (which is also doubtful). Although, Irvine does accept AP credit for the math requirement if that applies to you. Never hurts to call and ask.

I emailed them to ask if I can replace Stats with a full year of calculus. They pretty much repeated what was written on the website: "The math prerequisite consists of one course in calculus and one course in statistics." Doesn't really answer my question... Also, last year's thread had someone being accepted without having math requirement completed.

I emailed them to ask if I can replace Stats with a full year of calculus. They pretty much repeated what was written on the website: "The math prerequisite consists of one course in calculus and one course in statistics." Doesn't really answer my question... Also, last year's thread had someone being accepted without having math requirement completed.

I think it does answer your question: the requirement is one calculus course and one statistics course, not a year of calculus.