2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if submitting a MSTP application has any effect on the MD application? I am interested in MSTP but I know I wont be a competitive applicant for that program and I do not want that application to overshadow my MD app

+1

I've been wondering the same thing myself.

Members don't see this ad.

can someone post the secondary?
MD only:
Additional Information
If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. 500 Word Limit

JMP
Additional Information (as above), plus:
(1) Please describe the basis for your interest in and your preparations for the MS with research thesis. Given the opportunity to pursue such a degree, what topics, questions or areas of research might you be interested in addressing? (limit 500 words)
(2) Please describe the basis for your interest and experience with small group, case based problem oriented learning. (limit 500 words)

PRIME
Additional Information, plus:
PRIME-US Essay Question (limit 500 words)

Please describe your experiences with underserved communities, community-based work, leadership roles, and commitment to working with the urban underserved.

PRIME-US Short Answer Questions (limit 250 words each)
PRIME-US requires a commitment above and beyond the regular medical school curriculum. You will be expected to spend time participating in small group activities and engaging with underserved communities in the Bay Area. Please answer the following questions:

1) How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life?
2) Please describe your experience working in small groups.
3) What will you bring to PRIME-US?
4) What do you hope to get out of PRIME-US?

MSTP
Research Experience

List the research projects on which you have worked below. If you have answered these questions on the AMCAS application, you MUST also answer them on this application for our records. You may use the same responses for our application.
Include Date, Project Title, and Advisor / Complete Address / Phone (limit 500 words)

Research Description
Please describe in detail your most recent research project. (limit 500 words)

Publications
Please list publications, honors, and presentations resulting from your research experience. (limit 500 words)

Research Training Plans
Please describe briefly your reasons for applying to MSTP. (limit 250 words)

Letters of Recommendation - Deadline of 1/4/2013!

Do Not Send Any Letters To the MSTP Office. Submit only one set to the School of Medicine Admissions Office.
Please list below the names of those writing your letters. (limit 250 words)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted today man if only other secondaries were so easy! They said the next message I hear from them would be an interview invite, I hope I get one!

How do you apply to PRIME? I can't access the PRIME application on amcas! Thanks!

How do you apply to PRIME? I can't access the PRIME application on amcas! Thanks!

It's on the secondary as an additional section. No need to apply or indicate plans to apply on the AMCAS.

Thank you!! Anyone else applying to PRIME? I'll love to get acceptance into any PRIME program in CA! Really liking UCI PRIME, but I'm open to any school that has a priority in underserved communities! What would be some schools that would be worth applying to if that will be my focus?

Best of luck everyone!!

Bauman, why do you think you didn't get a secondary? Your stats are great.... Has me worried.

Beats me. I have two IIs already, so I don't think there is a red flag in my primary. It's not currently on my mdapps, but my research is strong and experiences seem to align with UCSF. My conclusion is that this process is a crapshoot :cool:

Beats me. I have two IIs already, so I don't think there is a red flag in my primary. It's not currently on my mdapps, but my research is strong and experiences seem to align with UCSF. My conclusion is that this process is a crapshoot :cool:
This is a fair conclusion about the whole med school application process :)

I think you - and other people who haven't heard from UCSF yet - may just have slower reviewers or something like that.

Yeah, we have virtually the same stats, and I already have an II as well. Don't know what the hell is going on haha.H

For those who have gotten secondaries- did ucsf receive your letters? Maybe they don't send out secondaries until letters are received?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have gotten secondaries- did ucsf receive your letters? Maybe they don't send out secondaries until letters are received?
UCSF doesn't let you know whether they received the letters when they send you a secondary, but, for what it's worth, AMCAS had all my letters by the time of verification, so they must have sent them to schools with my verified application.

On the other hand, there are people here who already received interview invites from other schools but not secondaries from UCSF. So, even if UCSF waits for letters before sending secondaries (which is a speculation at this point), this is not the only reason for secondary delays.

You can get a secondary without having your letters (I did).

Received on the 25th. Hoping for some news this week.

MD only:

MSTP
Research Experience

List the research projects on which you have worked below. If you have answered these questions on the AMCAS application, you MUST also answer them on this application for our records. You may use the same responses for our application.
Include Date, Project Title, and Advisor / Complete Address / Phone (limit 500 words)

Just a list huh? Anyone know if they want a small description?

My guess is no, since that'd make the application a brutally long read as most people going MSTP have substantial and involved research... but if someone can confirm my assumption with something more than an opinion that'd be comforting!

Does anybody know about how the PRIME selection process works? The PRIME class is very small, so I'm wondering if you get rejected from PRIME, if you will still be considered for regular MD track. Or, perhaps it's the opposite: if you are accepted to the regular MD track, then they also consider your PRIME application.

Anyone have any insight here?

Thanks.

Or, perhaps it's the opposite: if you are accepted to the regular MD track, then they also consider your PRIME application.
This. You get accepted to either regular MD or JMP, and after that you can be considered for PRIME from either of the two programs. This is explained in the secondary application and probably somewhere on UCSF web site as well.

Just got a secondary!! Was verified on 6/25! Definitely happy to receive one as a re-applicant.

Anyone think it's a good idea to use "additional info" to write my "reapp essay" on what I've done since my last application to make myself a much stronger applicant?

Just got a secondary!! Was verified on 6/25! Definitely happy to receive one as a re-applicant.

Anyone think it's a good idea to use "additional info" to write my "reapp essay" on what I've done since my last application to make myself a much stronger applicant?

Sounds like a good idea to me

I like the idea good job

Hmmm, it was strange for me. Submitted my app 6/23, got notification of verification from AMCAS at 1:30 today, got an email from UCSF at 8:15 today saying your verified application has been received and then another email at 8:15 which said my application had gotten an update and to login, where it then told me that I was invited for a secondary. I thought they screened? I guess it's an auto screen? For what it's worth, I don't have great stats (but great EC's) 32Q mcat, 3.49 BCPM 3.65 Overall with a great upwards trend. Oh, IS from Cal :) This feels like a dream or a cruel joke. I didn't even think I had a chance at getting a secondary for UCSF o.o

Also, I feel really stupid, but what is an ll? Jargon I don't know :(

Last edited:
Hmmm, it was strange for me. Submitted my app 6/23, got notification of verification from AMCAS at 1:30 today, got an email from UCSF at 8:15 today saying your verified application has been received and then another email at 8:15 which said my application had gotten an update and to login, where it then told me that I was invited for a secondary. I thought they screened? I guess it's an auto screen? For what it's worth, I don't have great stats (but great EC's) 32Q mcat, 3.49 BCPM 3.65 Overall with a great upwards trend. Oh, IS from Cal :) This feels like a dream or a cruel joke. I didn't even think I had a chance at getting a secondary for UCSF o.o

II= Interview invite

Was going to use a photo from a wedding I went to, but decided against it because my lazy eye becomes apparent when I've been drinking and it makes me look far more intoxicated than I am. So I used a relatively low resolution passport photo instead.

Essay I talked about a unique circumstance that I didn't mention in my primary.

Pressed the button this morning. Good luck to us all, and fingers crossed for those who haven't yet received secondaries!

I used the optional essay to talk about why I'm applying to UCSF: while I have no particular ties to CA or SF, UCSF has a focus on urban underserved and awesome HIV clinical expertise and research, which is what I'm interested in. Of course, I supported that with appropriate personal (kinda sorta unique crappy urban foreign childhood) and professional experiences (tons of research and community educational activities in HIV) which were only briefly mentioned in the primary.

Last edited:
Have any reapplicants received secondaries yet?

I got the AMCAS received email a week ago and still waiting....

Have any reapplicants received secondaries yet?

I got the AMCAS received email a week ago and still waiting....

If you scroll up just a tiny bit, you'll see my post. Got my secondary last night, reapplicant here. And fellow aggie here!

I too was verified by AMCAS today and received the same two emails simultaneously at 8:15pm. Maybe they screened before verification but held the emails until verification. Who knows.

Can someone explain how it works if you apply to the MD program and MD/MMP..do people in the MD/MMP track usually have higher stats? Is there even data on this?

Also, for the optional part..how are you guys putting in specific reasons to attend ucsf if it's asking for updates on activities.

thanks!

good luck all!

It's been 2 weeks since UCSF received my primary. Each day I lose more and more hope.

Dont lose hope, it looks like they send it out in batches. I submitted last Friday. Getting the feeling UCSF takes its time when giving out II.

Hey all! I added UCSF just yesterday after a series of IIs gave me a little more confidence. I'm a reach for UCSF as an OOS, but one can dream!

Just wondering, for those that have received secondaries...does UCSF notify you they've received your primary? And if so, how long after you added the school? Also, what's the turnaround time from the primary received email to the secondary notification, if you get one? Thanks guys! :D

It took a few weeks for them to notify receipt of primary, and turnaround time can be anywhere from 1 to day after primary reception to two weeks. Depends on volume of applications. Me was literally two days after receipt of primary that I got secondary.

Hey all! I added UCSF just yesterday after a series of IIs gave me a little more confidence. I'm a reach for UCSF as an OOS, but one can dream!

Just wondering, for those that have received secondaries...does UCSF notify you they've received your primary? And if so, how long after you added the school? Also, what's the turnaround time from the primary received email to the secondary notification, if you get one? Thanks guys! :D

It's been 2 weeks since UCSF received my primary. Each day I lose more and more hope.

I feel your pain :( I feel like I am glued to my email and can't focus on anything else!

I feel your pain :( I feel like I am glued to my email and can't focus on anything else!

I think it's been almost a month for me. I need to unsubscribe from this thread and throw in the towel :(

I think it's been almost a month for me. I need to unsubscribe from this thread and throw in the towel :(

I'm with you guys, I've been thinking about deleting my sdn app. This process is rough.

Hey, come on. It's not even September yet. There's still hope.
I second this. Guys, it's only the beginning of August! Plus, there is so much variability in the process.

To Bauman1535: dude, you should be the last one to despair :) My stats are almost the same as yours (just a tiniest, almost imperceptible bit higher), and I got a secondary from UCSF as OOS. Considering that you got an II from UChicago and I got an outright rejection, your overall application shouldn't be worse than mine, probably better. Have faith man, give it some time.

Time to lose hope on getting a UCSF secondary? Haha I got the primary received email on 7/25 seems that people who got it that same day have already gotten their secondaries.

I got my primary received email on 7/15 and no secondary yet, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I probably won't get one, but what's the point of giving up all hope? It's an easy secondary and I'll send it in right away if I ever get it, but until then, I'll just lazily check my status every now and then to make sure I'm not rejected. It's only the start of August; I don't see the point of throwing up my hands in despair yet

Secondary received today at 8:15 at the same time I got my primary verified email. AMCAS just verified my primary 8/2 without all my LORs in yet. IS with decent stats: 34 MCAT, 3.94sGPA/3.89cGPA.

Good luck to those who already have secondaries, and don't lose hope yet to those still waiting!

You will probably get the secondary with all of that research experience. Did you end up publishing any of those papers before your primary went out?

When I look at who received secondaries, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it yet. I bet it just had to do with where you are in the pile or which reviewer you have. UCSF is pretty stringent about giving out secondaries I guess, so they probably take lots of time reviewing each applicant.

Best of luck to all of you still waiting. Hang in there :)

Best,
C

You will probably get the secondary with all of that research experience. Did you end up publishing any of those papers before your primary went out?

When I look at who received secondaries, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it yet. I bet it just had to do with where you are in the pile or which reviewer you have. UCSF is pretty stringent about giving out secondaries I guess, so they probably take lots of time reviewing each applicant.

Best of luck to all of you still waiting. Hang in there :)

Best,
C

Thanks, I appreciate it. None were published by then, but I do have 2 manuscripts submitted right now, with #3 and #4 going out later this month. Probably won't help much with UCSF, but those should be nice updates for non - rolling schools when/if they are accepted.

In the end, I'd love to get a secondary here, but if I don't, it's not the end of the world. Congrats to all that have received secondaries and best of luck once IIs start coming out!

Finally got a secondary! :love: