2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn. I have no idea :laugh:

I'm just happy to have gotten a secondary, regardless of how that decision was made (definitely wasn't my MCAT, but I have a pretty interesting app lol)

I think some reviewers send received emails and send secondaries later, while others review them all and send both emails at the same time. I doubt it has anything to do with app quality and more to do with the random nature of this process.

Members don't see this ad.

I think some reviewers send received emails and send secondaries later, while others review them all and send both emails at the same time. I doubt it has anything to do with app quality and more to do with the random nature of this process.
Naw...I think there's a threshold GPA/MCAT score that will grant you an automatic secondary no matter whether your oos or is. If you don't get that, you're looked at manually and then following that, youll be granted one or rejected

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn. I have no idea :laugh:

I'm just happy to have gotten a secondary, regardless of how that decision was made (definitely wasn't my MCAT, but I have a pretty interesting app lol)

I got a secondary with a 35 MCAT so 38 is definitely not the cutoff! I'm OOS.

I just realized that in my JMP essay, I referred to looking forward to 'earning a master's in public health', when the JMP awards an MD/MS, not an MD/MPH. Did I just screw myself over? :(:(:(:(

I just realized that in my JMP essay, I referred to looking forward to 'earning a master's in public health', when the JMP awards an MD/MS, not an MD/MPH. Did I just screw myself over? :(:(:(:(
Maybe if you were an on-the-bubble candidate, but definitely not if that was your only mistake and you are otherwise a candidate they want to interview.

I think it's very unlikely this will be a problem! Maybe the person reviewing your app won't even know. Besides, nothing you can do now.

Naw...I think there's a threshold GPA/MCAT score that will grant you an automatic secondary no matter whether your oos or is. If you don't get that, you're looked at manually and then following that, youll be granted one or rejected

I don't think that this is the case either... My two emails and secondary invite came seconds apart as well and I am 3.65 GPA/33 MCAT

Plus, with a school as awesome as UCSF, I doubt that they would "auto-invite" anyone... They are looking for all-around awesome candidates and having a 4.0/45 MCAT does not mean anything to them without a superb application overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that this is the case either... My two emails and secondary invite came seconds apart as well and I am 3.65 GPA/33 MCAT

Plus, with a school as awesome as UCSF, I doubt that they would "auto-invite" anyone... They are looking for all-around awesome candidates and having a 4.0/45 MCAT does not mean anything to them without a superb application overall.

Then how did they know you were all around awesome candidate in a matter of seconds!? lol

It must be that different reviewers have different candidates and probably have different paces at which they do things. Some probably send out a bunch of primary received emails and if they've already reviewed the candidate, send the secondary and, if not, they wait until they get a chance to review them before sending it.

**once again just a theory**

Then how did they know you were all around awesome candidate in a matter of seconds!? lol

It must be that different reviewers have different candidates and probably have different paces at which they do things. Some probably send out a bunch of primary received emails and if they've already reviewed the candidate, send the secondary and, if not, they wait until they get a chance to review them before sending it.

**once again just a theory**

Read what I posted and what you wrote. It's really the only explination that fits. Just because both emails come at the same time does not mean they just got the application and made the decision in less than a minute. It's all pointless speculation anyway.

Last edited:
Read what I posted. Just because both emails come at the same time does not mean they just got the application and made the decision in less than a minute. It's al pointless speculation anyway.

This. They probably make a secondary decision by reading your primary. After deciding to grant you a secondary, they just email both the "primary received" and "secondary granted" emails in immediate succession.

This. They probably make a secondary decision by reading your primary. After deciding to grant you a secondary, they just email both the "primary received" and "secondary granted" emails in immediate succession.
I really don't think this is true. People have gotten their secondaries hours after amcas verified their applications often in the middle of the night in sf. There has to be an auto cut off. And then maybe there are also reviewers who send both at the same time

I really don't think this is true. People have gotten their secondaries hours after amcas verified their applications often in the middle of the night in sf. There has to be an auto cut off. And then maybe there are also reviewers who send both at the same time

Okay, that sounds more reasonable.

People have gotten their secondaries hours after amcas verified their applications often in the middle of the night in sf. There has to be an auto cut off. And then maybe there are also reviewers who send both at the same time

Doctors do the reviewing on their own time (at least at other schools), it's not like they get dedicated time away from the clinic to read personal statements.

Doctors do the reviewing on their own time (at least at other schools), it's not like they get dedicated time away from the clinic to read personal statements.
Ok sure you seem to really want to believe this so go ahead

Ok sure you seem to really want to believe this so go ahead
Sorry that came across as kind of rude. All I'm saying is, my applixation was verified and that night/next morning at one thirty am ucsf downloaded my application as did most schools through an automated system of some sort and ucsf sent me a received email, and then the secondary seconds later as did several other schools which screen and unlike several others who screen as well. I'd love to think someone read my application and decided i was special ans granted me a secondary but it just doesn't seem very likely in my or similar cases. Some of us met a mathematical formula of some sort. Ps most adcom members aren't doctors and those who are don't usually work at clinics if they're on an adcom at an academic university. Most of those doctors have days off from clinical duties...academic medicine. Its a thing. :)

Last edited:
I am MS1 at UCSF this fall. This was the only school last year that took a month to send me a secondary. I had totally given up on it by then. II followed a couple of months later. To those who haven't received an immediate secondary, don't lose hope just yet, and if you do end up getting it, don't think your application is somehow weaker than the ones who got 'immediate secondaries'. Nobody fully knows how adcoms work.

I am MS1 at UCSF this fall. This was the only school last year that took a month to send me a secondary. I had totally given up on it by then. II followed a couple of months later. To those who haven't received an immediate secondary, don't lose hope just yet, and if you do end up getting it, don't think your application is somehow weaker than the ones who got 'immediate secondaries'. Nobody fully knows how adcoms work.
To be honest, you probably have a better shot if someone actually read your application for the secondary than some of us automatic receivers....

I had a solid two weeks between the emails...I'm done with the speculation.

How about we get some interview invites up in this thread!?!? :xf:

Just received secondary! Added this school on august 3rd, OOS. Goodluck to everyone!

did anyone get this ? they say a 12 week review time....got verified yesterday and received this last night so guessing its automated.

"Thank you for applying to the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine. Your file is ready for review to determine if you will be selected to submit a secondary application. This decision will be made any time in the next twelve weeks. Unfortunately, we are not able to accept any updates to your file at this time. Please create an account and check your status regularly. "

did anyone get this ? they say a 12 week review time....got verified yesterday and received this last night so guessing its automated.

"Thank you for applying to the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine. Your file is ready for review to determine if you will be selected to submit a secondary application. This decision will be made any time in the next twelve weeks. Unfortunately, we are not able to accept any updates to your file at this time. Please create an account and check your status regularly. "

Yeah that's regular. It didn't take twelve weeks for me

Two weeks to get mine, almost down to the hour.

I had a solid two weeks between the emails...I'm done with the speculation.

How about we get some interview invites up in this thread!?!? :xf:

I would love to just be able to submit my secondary. I've had it done for a week but I'm waiting for them to review my eligibility for a fee waiver. Hoping for an interview.

Been waiting 3 weeks for an update to my "amcas received" email, and my status still says under review. They must really be on the fence about me or are waiting until the stronger apps get a shot :p. Congrats to those who passed the screen!

This discussion prompted me to get an sdn account instead of just lurking. For those of you speculating about their secondary request procedures, I really do feel that the timing between the first "screening" email and second "secondary offer" email is completely and totally arbitrary. I am a 3.9/31 IS applicant and my two emails were seconds apart. I dont think there is an auto numbers screen considering my low mcat...perhaps a one or the other (gpa/mcat) screen.

This discussion prompted me to get an sdn account instead of just lurking. For those of you speculating about their secondary request procedures, I really do feel that the timing between the first "screening" email and second "secondary offer" email is completely and totally arbitrary. I am a 3.9/31 IS applicant and my two emails were seconds apart. I dont think there is an auto numbers screen considering my low mcat...perhaps a one or the other (gpa/mcat) screen.

Maybe they use the LizzyM system and anyone with above a 70 instate is an autosend and out of state you need a higher LizzyM to get an autosend?

So much speculation!

Maybe they use the LizzyM system and anyone with above a 70 instate is an autosend and out of state you need a higher LizzyM to get an autosend?

So much speculation!

IS with a lizzyscore of 67 here. Got both emails seconds apart... maybe they have a team devoted to keeping neurotic premeds occupied with the secondaries until they start sending out IIs and everyone forgets haha

So much speculation!

I'm OOS with a LizzyM >75 and haven't heard a thing since the primary received email around 5 weeks ago. And I feel like I've seen other OOS people in here receive the secondary right away with lower stats than mine, so I don't know about any auto-send theory. UCSF - you confuse me. And make me sad.

I'm OOS with a LizzyM >75 and haven't heard a thing since the primary received email around 5 weeks ago. And I feel like I've seen other OOS people in here receive the secondary right away with lower stats than mine, so I don't know about any auto-send theory. UCSF - you confuse me. And make me sad.
Lol I think you might be okay though, with all those awesome interviews you have lined up :)

It definitely is a crazy process though, and I for one, don't care how they choose to give them out anymore. This whole process is starting to feel a little random

Rejected via pdf. I wish I could pass it off as UCSF being a top school and very selective (which it obviously is), but the fact that I didn't get a secondary or a chance for them to see my LORs leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Best of luck to everyone waiting on IIs.

Rejected via pdf. I wish I could pass it off as UCSF being a top school and very selective (which it obviously is), but the fact that I didn't get a secondary or a chance for them to see my LORs leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sorry to hear that Amba.. :( But you do have some fantastic IIs so far! Anybody would be jealous of you! :D

The fact that you have a lot of IIs from top schools means there wasn't anything you could have done. Med schools are playing the game too - they want a low acceptance/matriculation ratio. The fact that they rejected you was probably based more on their assumptions on your regional preferences. They probably think you will get into Chicago, Cleveland Clinic, Pitt, etc, and end up attending one of those over UCSF.

I've been living on the east coast for the past 5 years. I definitely have more IIs around here than I do from schools in the midwest, south, and west coast. I'm really hoping on moving westwards, but maybe that will just have to wait til residency or later.

Ugh, sucks, I'm sorry :(. Was the pdf on the status check site or emailed?

Got one too. It was an email to check the changed status. PDF was on the website. I was expecting a rejection since I don't have very good stats. Good luck to everyone!

Sorry to hear that Amba.. :( But you do have some fantastic IIs so far! Anybody would be jealous of you! :D

The fact that you have a lot of IIs from top schools means there wasn't anything you could have done. Med schools are playing the game too - they want a low acceptance/matriculation ratio. The fact that they rejected you was probably based more on their assumptions on your regional preferences. They probably think you will get into Chicago, Cleveland Clinic, Pitt, etc, and end up attending one of those over UCSF.

I've been living on the east coast for the past 5 years. I definitely have more IIs around here than I do from schools in the midwest, south, and west coast. I'm really hoping on moving westwards, but maybe that will just have to wait til residency or later.

Thanks all. I know there are probably a lot of variables that go into a rejection, but it still sucks.

And I got an email saying I had a status update, and then the pdf on my app page.

Man, this sucks. You have several IIs from awesome schools, which should soften the blow, but I do understand that it still hurts and feels unfair, since they didn't really give you a chance.
This absolutely meaningless rejection just underscores how random and, yes, unfair this whole process is :mad:

Last edited:

Sorry Amba! Congrats on your other invites though, UCSF will be sad that they passed you up.

Man, this sucks. You have several IIs awesome schools, which should soften the blow, but I do understand that it still hurts and feels unfair, since they didn't really give you a chance.
This absolutely meaningless rejection just underscores how random and, yes, unfair this whole process is :mad:

Sorry Amba! Congrats on your other invites though, UCSF will be sad that they passed you up.

Thanks both. Ya'll are great. Sometimes I just need to vent on SDN haha. Best of luck with your apps this season :luck:

Maybe if you were an on-the-bubble candidate, but definitely not if that was your only mistake and you are otherwise a candidate they want to interview.

Maybe....? He/she is vying for a spot in a program with a very high level of responsibility with only ~16 spots. I'm sure they will overlook the fact that they didn't do any research on the program and they know nothing about it. Wishful thinking with a program like UCSF.

On another note, sorry to those who were rejected. This process often makes no sense. I'm sure you will all get into awesome schools!

Maybe....? He/she is vying for a spot in a program with a very high level of responsibility with only ~16 spots. I'm sure they will overlook the fact that they didn't do any research on the program and they know nothing about it. Wishful thinking with a program like UCSF.

On another note, sorry to those who were rejected. This process often makes no sense. I'm sure you will all get into awesome schools!
Well obviously but yeah sorry didn't feel the need to tell a fellow applicant that they were sol. I still think that if you are otherwise a prefect fit, and they are really excited about your application, they'll still interview you

Well obviously but yeah sorry didn't feel the need to tell a fellow applicant that they were sol. I still think that if you are otherwise a prefect fit, and they are really excited about your application, they'll still interview you

Haha, yeah I agree they might. I don't mean to be a jerk but I don't like when people sugar coat it. It doesn't help anyone to get their hopes up. It strikes a cord with me because people did it to me last year and I got kind of complacent and expected to get in. Did not turn out that way.