2013-2014 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Sitting on the waitlist to enter in Fall of 2013 - but just filled out the AMCAS primary application for entering 2014. Can't submit it until June 4th* - I'm planning on staying up until midnight to submit it, so that I'm only number 317 in the queue for verification...and still hoping for the best for news this (last) cycle).

Ball is rollin'...

*Edit: Waking up in time for the revised submission opening of 9:30am EDT on June 10th

*Edit: Finally reached "Ready to Review" status on June 17th, after resending an errant transcript

*Edit: Admitted from the waitlist on 6/25/13.

Last edited:
Sitting on the waitlist to enter in Fall of 2013 - but just filled out the AMCAS primary application for entering 2014. Can't submit it until June 4th - I'm planning on staying up until midnight to submit it, so that I'm only number 317 in the queue for verification...and still hoping for the best for news this (last) cycle).

Ball is rollin'...

Good luck i hope u get in!
Keep us posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to go here! What do you think my chances are?

MCAT: 31
GPA: 3.65
OOS

Good EC's and doing more shadowing this summer!

I would love to go here! What do you think my chances are?

MCAT: 31
GPA: 3.65
OOS

Good EC's and doing more shadowing this summer!

I'm also on the waitlist for the class of 2017, but at my interview in December, the median MCAT interviewed was a 35, and the GPA was somewhere close to the 3.7s. But the accepted numbers were actually lower so I would still give it a shot!

I'm also on the waitlist for the class of 2017, but at my interview in December, the median MCAT interviewed was a 35, and the GPA was somewhere close to the 3.7s. But the accepted numbers were actually lower so I would still give it a shot!
Is this statistics for in state or out of state? And thank you for the encouragement! I figure the worse thing they can do is reject me.

I think that's overall, so maybe a little higher for OOS and a little lower for IS?

That seems really high. Do you have a source of that information? Or was it by word of mouth? Just curious because I have very similar numbers, 31 mcat with 3.8 GPA and OOS. This would be number one on my list just because I love the state (I'm from the east).

Couple pictures from walking around the medical campus the other day:

20130607094351richtoneh.jpg

20130607095054richtoneh.jpg

Initial impressions are 1) that the campus is HUGE and has tons of green space, and 2) that the Children's Hospital is gorgeous and one primary focus. I'll be applying here OOS because I like the school and area and I have relatives in CO.

Couple pictures from walking around the medical campus the other day:

20130607094351richtoneh.jpg

20130607095054richtoneh.jpg

Initial impressions are 1) that the campus is HUGE and has tons of green space, and 2) that the Children's Hospital is gorgeous and one primary focus. I'll be applying here OOS because I like the school and area and I have relatives in CO.

Campus looks beautiful. I wish there were something I could do to improve my chances here, fingers crossed!

That seems really high. Do you have a source of that information? Or was it by word of mouth? Just curious because I have very similar numbers, 31 mcat with 3.8 GPA and OOS. This would be number one on my list just because I love the state (I'm from the east).

That's what it said on the powerpoint slide they had when I was at their interview. I think their numbers have gone up significantly recently due to a higher percentage of OOS apps and acceptances. And their accepted median MCAT was 34 (also according to the slides).

Edit: I checked their website right now and it says the fall 2013 class has an MCAT of 32Q. Maybe many accepted people who turned it down have high MCATs?

Maybe many accepted people who turned it down have high MCATs?

Yes, I think generally the MCAT scores of accepted candidates are slightly higher than those of enrolled students. I like to think it's because those candidates who are accepted and choose not to attend do so only because they are the super-stellar high-MCAT applicants who were offered full-ride scholarships elsewhere. I can't think of any other reason why someone would choose NOT to attend Colorado! ;-)

Yes, I think generally the MCAT scores of accepted candidates are slightly higher than those of enrolled students. I like to think it's because those candidates who are accepted and choose not to attend do so only because they are the super-stellar high-MCAT applicants who were offered full-ride scholarships elsewhere. I can't think of any other reason why someone would choose NOT to attend Colorado! ;-)

+1 :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me, or is UColorado's secondary already posted on their website?

Does anybody know the maximum number of LOR's they accept? The website says "we require 3-5" but I am not sure if they would accept 6 or if 5 is the maximum.

Is it just me, or is UColorado's secondary already posted on their website?

I was also wondering about this. Are they the same every year? What is the word limit? It would be great to get a head start on this while I'm waiting around for the primaries to be sent in on the 28th.

Does anyone know if the school values strong ties to the state for OOS students? I have a long family history in CO and am wondering if that is relevant. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the school values strong ties to the state for OOS students? I have a long family history in CO and am wondering if that is relevant. Thanks.

Unfortunately, not relevant. If you get to the interview stage and want to mention it then, go ahead, but nobody will know before that.

Does anybody know the maximum number of LOR's they accept? The website says "we require 3-5" but I am not sure if they would accept 6 or if 5 is the maximum.

They REQUIRE 3-5. In other words, at least 3 but no more than 5.

sitting on the waitlist to enter in fall of 2013 - but just filled out the amcas primary application for entering 2014. Can't submit it until june 4th* - i'm planning on staying up until midnight to submit it, so that i'm only number 317 in the queue for verification...and still hoping for the best for news this (last) cycle).

Ball is rollin'...

*edit: Waking up in time for the revised submission opening of 9:30am edt on june 10th

*edit: Finally reached "ready to review" status on june 17th, after resending an errant transcript

*edit: Admitted from the waitlist on 6/25/13.

congrats!!!!

Has anyone received the secondary for Colorado? Is it the same as last year?

I love Colorado and would love to attend here, but realistically as an OOS applicant the cost compared to my in-state school may be too high. I figure you can become a resident after living in CO for a few months. Would you then be able to pay in-state tuition?

I figure you can become a resident after living in CO for a few months. Would you then be able to pay in-state tuition?

Nope. Unfortunately for tuition purposes you are considered OOS for your entire attendance.

Last edited:
First choice school!!! Who wouldn't want to live in such a beautiful area, I wish the secondary would be released.

First choice school!!! Who wouldn't want to live in such a beautiful area, I wish the secondary would be released.
most of colorado is beautiful... but the area where the med school is, other than the campus itself, is crap unfortunately

Last edited:
Anyone know when secondaries are supposed to be sent out, especially to OOS applicants?

Anyone know when secondaries are supposed to be sent out, especially to OOS applicants?
Its Aug 1 at the earliest. From reading past CU threads its pretty clear they drag things out every step of the way more than any other school. Lets get comfy folks.

Did anyone get the prompt from the website? I think it was taken down, I can't find it anymore.

CA resident, no secondary yet. =/ anyone else receive the secondary invite yet?

CA resident, no secondary yet. =/ anyone else receive the secondary invite yet?
Nope, I'm IS and have nothing. Should be really soon though, I think last years came around the 2nd, but that was mid-week so perhaps early next week?

I'm IS and still waiting for a secondary, hopefully it will come this week. It was roughly this time last year. :confused:

For everyone waiting on secondaries this year, Dr. Grenardo mentioned last night at the admissions information session that they will be changing the secondary essay prompt this year. I have no more details than that, though, sorry!

Last edited:
So I just checked the tuition for out of state students and it's listed as $60,870 per year. Ouch! That is like one of my most expensive schools. Anyone have an idea why it is so high compared to many private universities' tuition for out of state?

I attended an informational session back in May and was also told that the prompt would be different from last years (the one posted in that link). I would hold off on writing anything until this years secondaries have actually been sent out and the prompt has been confirmed.
you're right that's a good idea. I just expect better from the website of the "harvard of the west" :)

Anyone know how generous they are on need based scholarships/grants?

that 85K COA is pretty high.

Non-existent. Colorado doesn't give them enough funding really for the ISS as it is, so in return they make the OSS tuition really high to make up the difference. Relative to other state schools Colorado really makes you pay for it if. At 85k+ cost of attendance I don't personally think it's worth it. I'll take the extra 100k saved and go some where else, thanks.

Non-existent. Colorado doesn't give them enough funding really for the ISS as it is, so in return they make the OSS tuition really high to make up the difference. Relative to other state schools Colorado really makes you pay for it if. At 85k+ cost of attendance I don't personally think it's worth it. I'll take the extra 100k saved and go some where else, thanks.

But mountains...

I'm feeling much the same way. It's a good school and my whole family is moving out to Colorado in the next 5 years, but $80k more in debt over the average is too much. I am not sure if I want to fill out the secondary when it comes.

For the 100k you are saving, you can take two 2-week trips per year and stay at the Ritz in Bachelor Gulch every year you are in medical school and still come out way ahead. It's the difference of about 2 years of residency salary. And that's before interest interest on the loan, and before taxes on your salary.

Would someone please post the secondary prompt for me? Thanks.