2013-2014 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed here on 10/4. Hoping to hear something soon!

Members don't see this ad.

In case you don't, it's not necessarily a bad thing! CU is very, uh, deliberate.

Yeah, they detailed the selection process on interview day, but the tl;dr is that if you aren't immediately accepted following 3 weeks post-interview, they may keep you in the review pile and you go under evaluation again (and again) until they make a final decision. The (more or less exact) words were, "we want to give everyone as many chances as possible to be considered for our school. You already made it to the interview, it's only fair" :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, they detailed the selection process on interview day, but the tl;dr is that if you aren't immediately accepted following 3 weeks post-interview, they may keep you in the review pile and you go under evaluation again (and again) until they make a final decision. The (more or less exact) words were, "we want to give everyone as many chances as possible to be considered for our school. You already made it to the interview, it's only fair" :D

Interesting that nobody has said they've been accepted yet on this forum. It's been well over 3 weeks since they began interviewing. But it is a new admissions department and team, so maybe they're working out a new system as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Interesting that nobody has said they've been accepted yet on this forum. It's been well over 3 weeks since they began interviewing. But it is a new admissions department and team, so maybe they're working out a new system as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Yeah, interviews only started not too long ago, so maybe there haven't actually been any final decisions, or some people don't want to post if they've been WL or rejected. I definitely remember the dean of admissions telling us that they should be making decisions within 2-3 weeks of our interview day.

But it's more likely than not that a lot of people just aren't posting (in general), though. For example, this is the case for another school I was accepted to, but our facebook group has 30 members, yet only 3 or 4 people have actually reported being accepted (most of which aren't even in the facebook group). :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, interviews only started not too long ago, so maybe there haven't actually been any final decisions, or some people don't want to post if they've been WL or rejected. I definitely remember the dean of admissions telling us that they should be making decisions within 2-3 weeks of our interview day.

But it's more likely than not that a lot of people just aren't posting (in general), though. For example, this is the case for another school I was accepted to, but our facebook group has 30 members, yet only 3 or 4 people have actually reported being accepted (none of which aren't even in the facebook group). :confused:
Congrats on your acceptance!

Hi all,

is the interview here open or closed file? Have an interview at CU next week and I don't know how I should best approach it. any advice from any current students or people who previously interviewed here for this cycle - Thanks in advance!!

Hi all,

is the interview here open or closed file? Have an interview at CU next week and I don't know how I should best approach it. any advice from any current students or people who previously interviewed here for this cycle - Thanks in advance!!

They have everything but your gpa, mcat, and lors prior to the interview iirc.

You may get asked about aca or ethical scenarios so brush up just in case. Otherwise, it's very convetsational and low key. Maybe bring an extra jacket for the tour (campus is fairly large and we were running around in 37 deg. Weather back in october)

Hi all,

Alot of the questions I got were abstract and not standard. Theres really only so much you can prepare. I would say know your amcas and secondary apps inside and out, know a little bit about the ACA and ethics, and then relax as much as possible. This interview in particular i felt was more about them getting a real sense of who you are rather then saying the right thing.

Man does anyone know when they might start sending out decisions?

Double pocket post. Sorry

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
II today! CA applicant. Interview schedule for Dec 13! SO HAPPY!

Does anyone know % of interviews given and acceptances?

II today! CA applicant. Interview schedule for Dec 13! SO HAPPY!

Does anyone know % of interviews given and acceptances?

For OOS, it's somewhere around ~200-300/~4000 applicants and ~50% acceptance afterwards (too tired to look at the exact numbers info i wrote somewhere). Good luck! :p

Hey. I'll be traveling to Denver around Christmastime and naturally I'll want to submit an "in the area" email. Does anyone who registered for an interview recently happen to know the dates they've set for late December, early January? (I could tailor my date range accordingly.) Thanks!!

Hey. I'll be traveling to Denver around Christmastime and naturally I'll want to submit an "in the area" email. Does anyone who registered for an interview recently happen to know the dates they've set for late December, early January? (I could tailor my date range accordingly.) Thanks!!

They assign the interview day to you, and it can be either on a monday, fri, or sat (not every week) since they bring ~50 ppl per interview cohort. When I interviewed they said we were the only monday group from that month, for example. Can't speak to specific dates, sorry :p

Last edited:
II on Nov.11 and interview on November 22. IS and super excited!!!!!

II on Nov.11 and interview on November 22. IS and super excited!!!!!
so relieved to finally see an IS get an II. As a CO resident it has been rather disheartening seeing OOS after OOS post in this thread about getting their IIs. Was complete on 9/5 and still waiting. Congrats to you.

so relieved to finally see an IS get an II. As a CO resident it has been rather disheartening seeing OOS after OOS post in this thread about getting their IIs. Was complete on 9/5 and still waiting. Congrats to you.
Another CO resident here. II on 11/14, complete 11/1. Good luck!

For OOS, it's somewhere around ~200-300/~4000 applicants and ~50% acceptance afterwards (too tired to look at the exact numbers info i wrote somewhere). Good luck! :p
Thank you! My interview is schedule for 12/13/13 and I was planning on being in Colorado on Thursday morning. Do you suggest requesting a student host or getting a hotel? I'm hoping to return to CA after the interview which ends at 3pm. First time traveling OOS for interviews! Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you! My interview is schedule for 12/13/13 and I was planning on being in Colorado on Thursday morning. Do you suggest requesting a student host or getting a hotel? I'm hoping to return to CA after the interview which ends at 3pm. First time traveling OOS for interviews! Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't know about the student host system, but there is a hotel called Springs Hill Suites right across the street from the school. I would bet they have an airport shuttle. That would certainly make your logistics easy. DIA is pretty easy to get around, but it does have long lines at times, so give yourself two hours to get through security plus time for travel to the airport. I think I was leaving campus around 3:30 after the interviews, so I wouldn't book a return flight until 6:30. Hope that helps!

I stayed with a student host because of monetary restrictions and was lucky to have her take me to campus in the morning. I had a lot of fun hanging out and exploring Denver/campus the day before if that sounds interesting to you.

Otherwise, I hear spring suites is relatively cheap and will help you avoid the stress of morning transportation rush since it's so close by lol. The airport is close (~25 min drive) But their security lines are redonk. I would say six is a good earliest time for a flight to guarantee enough time and make it home if you leave by 345

I stayed with a student host because of monetary restrictions and was lucky to have her take me to campus in the morning. I had a lot of fun hanging out and exploring Denver/campus the day before if that sounds interesting to you. Shuttle service is great, pub transportation was late for me twice so I wouldn't recommend it for interview day :p

Otherwise, I hear spring suites is relatively cheap and will help you avoid the stress of morning transportation rush since it's so close by lol. The airport is close (~25 min drive) But their security lines are redonk. I would say six is a good earliest time for a flight to guarantee enough time and make it home if you leave by 345

o_O both times I've traveled from CO I passed through security in <2 mins.

Yeah I dunno, it took me a little over to an hr because there were so many people lol. I left at 4, got there 430, was finally at the terminals at 540. But then my flight was delayed twice. United ftw :p

DIA can have some of the worst security lines of any airport in America if you ask me

My flight was scheduled to leave DIA on Saturday at 5:34 pm after the interview. I made it to the airport comfortably after changing out of my suit after the interview, waiting for a taxi, and eating at the airport. The security line only had maybe 10 total people when I went through on a Saturday afternoon, so it was really quick. Then, I waited probably another 20 minutes to board the plane. I guess there is a wide range of experiences for security at DIA.

I grew up in Denver, and I have waited in that line for 1:15 minutes, and I have waited for 15 minutes. It is all dependent on the day and time. But yes, DIA has previously been notorious for the bad lines.

Hey if anyone needs a place to stay or directions or fun things to do in CO let me know. Mom just agreed that if anyone interviewing is tight on cash and needs a bed we can help! :hardy: Party haha!! Good luck to everyone. I am nervous but mainly excited for my interview on Friday. Love CUSOM:love:

Hey if anyone needs a place to stay or directions or fun things to do in CO let me know. Mom just agreed that if anyone interviewing is tight on cash and needs a bed we can help! :hardy: Party haha!! Good luck to everyone. I am nervous but mainly excited for my interview on Friday. Love CUSOM:love:

Will be staying here for three days for my interview in late December. Would appreciate any suggestions for places to explore! :)

Will be staying here for three days for my interview in late December. Would appreciate any suggestions for places to explore! :)
Check out some of the microbreweries. Great divide is my favorite.

Reactions: 1 user

Your mom is a rock star! Good luck for your interview!

Still has no one been accepted yet?
Hi SDN,

I've never used one of these forums before, I would always get nervous after reading everyone else's posts about schools and MCATs and all the rest. But, I came on here looking for a possible roommate for next year (anyone?). Consequently, I noticed that no one has gotten their acceptance.

I have been accepted, the admissions committee called me to inform me of my acceptance. HOWEVER, during the phone call, I was informed that they are not formally accepting applicants for a couple of months. So, do not fear if you have interviewed and have yet to hear back. Their process is a bit weird but I do think it is for the benefit of the applicant.

Also, for those of you who are interviewing soon, please do not get scared by some of the "non-traditional" interviewers. CU was the 4th school I interviewed at and all the other interviews had been very conversational in nature. My first interview was AWESOME! We had an amazing conversation for 30 minutes. On the other hand, the second one was the worst interview I have ever had!! I managed to stay calm and professional, which worked in my favor tremendously. I was not the only person who had an experience like this during my interview day, so don't get scared or discouraged if you do!! If you get a scary interviewer, make sure YOU get your point across, try to direct the conversation back to your accomplishments, rather than getting caught up in your nerves.

Good luck friends!

Congrats on The first acceptance! It begins.

But just FYI for everyone, I got this call about a month ago, so I wouldn't start expecting acceptances just yet. I think most of you will hear back (with acceptances I hope!) in December-January. At least that's what they said in my interview session.

But just FYI for everyone, I got this call about a month ago, so I wouldn't start expecting acceptances just yet. I think most of you will hear back (with acceptances I hope!) in December-January. At least that's what they said in my interview session.
Congrats! Any particular reason why you heard back so early?

GO SKIING!!!!!!!!!!! or at least go explore a bit of the Rocky Mountains.

Do you mind if I ask when you interviewed? Extreme congratulations though, this is awesome news!

Just a quick question: After submitting the application about how long did it take for statuses to change to processed?