2013-2014 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm mine has said interview pending since 7/27 as well but no call.

Shortstop, under the "check documents" section is it showing a date next to the supplemental fee? I paid mine but I don't see a date.

Mine does not have a paid date either, but I paid. I got an Order Confirmation email. I am sure they do II in batches, so maybe they just have not gotten around to calling you yet. I am sure they are busy, but by the sounds of things, and Interview Pending app status sounds like you should be getting one soon...this is not definite, just my interpretation of the status.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all who have received interviews! If those who have received interviews so far wouldn't mind, could you post when you completed the secondary application. Thanks!

Congrats to all who have received interviews! If those who have received interviews so far wouldn't mind, could you post when you completed the secondary application. Thanks!

I was complete on 7/16

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all those getting interviews. If any males here have received an II and need a place to crash for your stay here, I will happily host. PM me for any questions/details.

I'm an incoming Ms1 to UCONN, was involved with discussions all last cycle and would love to help out anyway I can this application cycle.

Good luck everyone!

Tried calling their admissions office, keep getting sent to voicemail

Does anyone else have FAP? How are we supposed to attach our fee waiver to the secondary app? I was thinking about forwarding my FAP email confirmation to them...

Tried calling their admissions office, keep getting sent to voicemail

Does anyone else have FAP? How are we supposed to attach our fee waiver to the secondary app? I was thinking about forwarding my FAP email confirmation to them...

I believe they waive the fee automatically!

I actually just stopped by admissions, they changed it from last year. You should have gotten an email from AMCAS stating that you are a FAP applicant, just sort of a confirmation. Forward that email to [email protected] and they will add it to your file.

Lmao, my cousin copied his why cornell into conneticut essay and forgot to change the name from conneticut -> cornell, and still got an II 2 days after submitting lolz

Has anyone else received an interview invite since the initial round of people a couple weeks ago? I just want to try and get a sense of whether the II are going in waves or whether they are being handed out daily as apps are reviewed.

Lmao, my cousin copied his why cornell into conneticut essay and forgot to change the name from conneticut -> cornell, and still got an II 2 days after submitting lolz

Haha. SMH :slap:

Did he get an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble getting any e-mail responses form the admissions office? I've sent two e-mails ( a question and an update) and have not heard anything for weeks!!

Also, their portal is so hard to navigate. Does anyone have any better way to figure out our status?

In the interest of finances, do you think it is worth applying as an international (Canadian)?

3.7/38, pretty good ECs and otherwise. Non-URM

No ties to Conn. whatsoever.

In the interest of finances, do you think it is worth applying as an international (Canadian)?

When I interviewed there last year there was actually a girl who went to UToronto in my group. I think she had dual citizenship and was from Connecticut though.

If finances are a concern and you have no ties to the state, you're probably better off applying elsewhere.

Last year they interviewed <5% of their international applicants.

Last edited:
So for UConn, it's pretty important to have a tie to the state?

So for UConn, it's pretty important to have a tie to the state?

Well, they take about 15% out of state to begin with, in a class that's under 100 people. They have an explicit mission to train doctors for the state of Connecticut.

By all means apply if you want to, but you asked if it was 'worth it'. In a strictly numbers game, there are a lot of schools that are more welcoming to international applicants.

I just submitted the 2nd online and received a confirmation email. But when I logged back to the portal, it still showed " Supplemental Statement (In Progress)", and all the essays were gone.
Does anybody else experience the same thing?
Thanks!

I am interested in the MD/MPH degree but more committed to just MD at this time. Does anyone know we definitely need to apply to the MD/MPH program or if we can just apply to the MD program and later do MD/MPH if we want to later in our academic career at UCONN? I was trying to find out the information on-line. Has anyone else looked into this or spoken to admissions counselors about this?

Thanks for all your help!!! I am a CT resident that is VERY excited about UCONN med school. Their SCP program sounds AMAZING!!!!

I am interested in the MD/MPH degree but more committed to just MD at this time. Does anyone know we definitely need to apply to the MD/MPH program or if we can just apply to the MD program and later do MD/MPH if we want to later in our academic career at UCONN? I was trying to find out the information on-line. Has anyone else looked into this or spoken to admissions counselors about this?

Thanks for all your help!!! I am a CT resident that is VERY excited about UCONN med school. Their SCP program sounds AMAZING!!!!

There is absolutely no rush in having to apply md/mph. In fact, as a medical student at uconn, you will be introduced to all the possible avenues you can take to pursue your goals. Good luck

Do you receive a secondary before verification? I should be verified any day now...

Does anyone have any idea when more II are going to come out? Has there only been the first wave of II that went out about a month ago? To all current UCONN students...when you applied did II come in waves or were they more constant throughout the application cycle?

Ugh, I submitted my app, but for some reason it still says in progress? Anyone know why?

Also, is there any way I can go back to my finished app and see it?

Does anyone have a date next to the date they paid the application fee on the portal? I have been complete (paid and submitted secondary) since 7/22 and just noticed now on the portal that there is only a date next to when I submitted my secondary.

I received an interview invite pre-secondary. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it was strange but I am so excited!!!

I received an interview invite pre-secondary. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it was strange but I am so excited!!!

Lol wut? Never heard of that (but I'm fairly new to SDN). Myrone Rolle? Myron gainz?

Interview invite 11/11

Was complete Monday, but I have a history with this school.

Weird, I was high-alternate last cycle, submitted in late July, and haven't heard back since :(.

received an interview invite a few days ago, I'm actually surprised because I'm OOS with no ties to CT.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no rush in having to apply md/mph. In fact, as a medical student at uconn, you will be introduced to all the possible avenues you can take to pursue your goals. Good luck

I am real excited about the opportunity to get an MPH in 4 years with especially at no additional cost. Is there a lot of overlap between the MD and MPH degree that makes this possible? I know that the other medical schools that offer a dual MD/MPH program offer the program in 5 years. How does UCONN enable you to only do it in 4?

Do you think that selecting a dual degree over a single MD degree would have any influence on the acceptance of my application? I was already accepted for an interview but I want to learn more about the dual MD/MPH program before I commit.

I am very excited about all the programs at UCHC. I used to work there and I was ecstatic when I found out that I was selected for an interview. :)

received an interview invite a few days ago, scheduled for 11/15. I'm actually shocked because I'm OOS with no ties to CT. It's a great school though, I'm excited :)

Congrats! When were you marked complete?

I am real excited about the opportunity to get an MPH in 4 years with especially at no additional cost. Is there a lot of overlap between the MD and MPH degree that makes this possible? I know that the other medical schools that offer a dual MD/MPH program offer the program in 5 years. How does UCONN enable you to only do it in 4?

Do you think that selecting a dual degree over a single MD degree would have any influence on the acceptance of my application? I was already accepted for an interview but I want to learn more about the dual MD/MPH program before I commit.

I am very excited about all the programs at UCHC. I used to work there and I was ecstatic when I found out that I was selected for an interview. :)
I'm a first year looking into going the MD/MPH route right now- you definitely don't need to know yet! I'm 99% sure it usually take 5 years- people either do the MPH year between 2nd and 3rd year, or between 3rd and 4th. Good luck!

EDIT: See Fiji's comment below! Everyone I know's done it in 5, but it can be done in 4 with some extra planning and hard work :)

Last edited:
Congrats! When were you marked complete?
I submitted the secondary on 8/24. Haven't been checking my application status at any of the schools I applied to because that just stresses me out more haha!

I'm a first year looking into going the MD/MPH route right now- you definitely don't need to know yet! I'm 99% sure it usually take 5 years- people either do the MPH year between 2nd and 3rd year, or between 3rd and 4th. Good luck!

Okay I don't know where I read 4 years... I thought I did but I must have been mistaken. Thank you for correcting me. :)

Okay I don't know where I read 4 years... I thought I did but I must have been mistaken. Thank you for correcting me. :)

You didn't misread. You have the option to complete an MPH in four years if you wish. Basically, MD students are required to take a certain number of electives, and you make all of your electives MPH classes... You then also have some more courses to do as well. It definitely does require more work of you, but if you're good with budgeting your time, it's doable. The soonest you would be able to start MPH classes is spring of first year.

With regard to the likeliness that you'll be accepted, expressing interest in the MPH probably won't have much influence. Your drive to serve the community and history of doing so will certainly help, but adding a sentence that you want an MPH will be of minor significance. Just be earnest about your intentions.

I'm a first year considering starting an MPH in the spring. The nice thing is that we really don't have to apply. We do have to do it, but it's something of a formality... We get automatically accepted to it. The free of charge isn't too bad either. :) Anyway, best of luck and keep the questions coming!

Hey guys.. on my admission status it claims:

"
You have been at the Interview Invite stage since 09/12/2013.

Our last contact with you was with Interview Pending on 09/12/2013."

But I never had any contact with them.. should i call at this point or is that just a default thing that happens with every app

"

But I never had any contact with them.. should i call at this point or is that just a default thing that happens with every app

I would call them. It sounds like they tried to reach you for an interview invite but were not successful. Does this sound correct? Call them on Monday. Good luck! :)

"

Hands down, call them. ASAP

AHHH Thanks so much guys! I emailed and they said they had tried earlier but were unable to reach me.

So pumped to get invited!

I'm so excited to have an interview next week, does anyone who has gone through the process already have any suggestions?

Beware of Dr. Zeff. He's SUPER mean and scary.

Beware of Dr. Zeff. He's SUPER mean and scary.

Can you please explain? Did you not have a good experience on your interview? Did he interview you?

On another note, has anyone stayed with a student host? I am from CT, my family lives in CT but I will be coming from OOS. I am in between staying with my family or staying with a host. Has anyone here had the experience of staying with a host. What would you recommend? Is it a great opportunity that I should take advantage of even though my family does not live that far away?

Last edited:
Can you please explain? Did you not have a good experience on your interview? Did he interview you?

On another note, has anyone stayed with a student host? I am from CT, my family lives in CT but I will be coming from OOS. I am in between staying with my family or staying with a host. Has anyone here had the experience of staying with a host. What would you recommend? Is it a great opportunity that I should take advantage of even though my family does not live that far away?

I was being sarcastic. Anyone who's interviewed will tell you that he's extremely nice. I'd say he's literally the nicest admissions person I met when I was interviewing last cycle.

As far as staying with a student goes, I HIGHLY recommend it. Not just here, but at any school you go to. It's an invaluable peek into med student life. When you're making the decision of where to go, you need to judge not only the qualities of the program, but also the culture of the school as well. Would you be able to be happy with that crowd, etc. even if it's just a night, it's a huge amount of information that is useful to you. Having said that, my couch rocks and you are more than welcome to it.

I email admissions... no response
I call admissions... no response
all i want to do is make sure they have all of my application and fee because I sent it in in early July and they said ' they think it is all there' but it still does not show my fee has been paid and they are IMPOSSIBLE to contact.
Anyone else having trouble getting a hold of anyone there?