2013-2014 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!! :D :soexcited::highfive::soexcited:

Congrats! I was waiting for the first acceptance post. I remember this day like it was yesterday. You're officially going to medical school, my friend. Congratulations again.

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome! Stats... IS? I got an interview coming up. I hope we will be classmates. UCONN program looks amazing!!! :)
3.74, 35, OOS, interviewed 9/27

uconn is amazing and i loved my interview day there. you have lots to look forward to!

Congrats! I was waiting for the first acceptance post. I remember this day like it was yesterday. You're officially going to medical school, my friend. Congratulations again.
yessir!!! it is definitely the greatest feeling in the world! :D cheers to a day filled with email-checking every 30 seconds!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I also remember correctly, the assault on my liver this night was vigorous and with force.

Congrats gcr!! Is UConn your first choice?

..cause we could be classmates!! Accepted today as well!

IS, 3.84, 33, Interviewed 10/4

Congrats gcr!! Is UConn your first choice?

..cause we could be classmates!! Accepted today as well!

IS, 3.84, 33, Interviewed 10/4
hey man congrats! best feeling in the world isn't it?! :p uconn is definitely highly ranked on my med school list and i really don't recall one thing that came off as negative or a downside for me during the interview day. i hope they have some sort of second-look sort of thing so i can come back and finalize where i'll be going next year! feels great to be in an amazing school so early on

hey man congrats! best feeling in the world isn't it?! :p uconn is definitely highly ranked on my med school list and i really don't recall one thing that came off as negative or a downside for me during the interview day. i hope they have some sort of second-look sort of thing so i can come back and finalize where i'll be going next year! feels great to be in an amazing school so early on

We have second look around March, and you are in for a good time! Congratulations

For those who already interviewed, could you give us information into the interview day? Is it a group interview or individual interview? I have an interview coming up soon and UCONN is my top choice. So excited and nervous. I really want to go here!

You will have an interview with a student and another with a doctor. There is also a group session with Dr. Zeff, Dean of Admissions.

does anyone know what we have to do to accept the admission offer? i know dr. zeff said he will be mailing an official letter, but should i have responded to his email as well saying that i accept?

does anyone know what we have to do to accept the admission offer? i know dr. zeff said he will be mailing an official letter, but should i have responded to his email as well saying that i accept?

Wait for the letter, it will give you details. It involves a $100 deposit online.

Hey guys!

I'm IS (did my undergrad at UConn, go huskies!!!) and just received an II. I'm interviewing here on 11/22. Anyone else interviewing then? Also, any tips for interview day? This is my top choice!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, UConn is great :D

Members don't see this ad :)
When you check the document status, does it show a date that the fee was received? I paid the fee but I am afraid they didn't receive it.

Nah, mine never had a date next to it and I got an II. I don't think it showed up for anybody, because I know a lot of people who have interviewed here already and never had anything showing in the app portal that they paid. As long as you got the confirmation email, you're fine :) I was worried about this too but it seems to not mean anything

I read that they are increasing the size of the medical and dental school classes as part of Bioscience Connecticut. Is this going to be in effect for the entering class of 2014?

I read that they are increasing the size of the medical and dental school classes as part of Bioscience Connecticut. Is this going to be in effect for the entering class of 2014?

Yes. Part of Bioscience Connecticut is the increase of the class size from 80 to 120. The entering class of 2014 will have their class size increased to 100 and the subsequent year will be 120.

Any previous interviewers want to share any interview tips?

Additionally, does anyone know UCONN-SOM acceptance versus matriculation rate?

Thank you for all your help! :)

Last edited:
You will have an interview with a student and another with a doctor. There is also a group session with Dr. Zeff, Dean of Admissions.

Just curious, what is the format of the group session?

Thanks!

Just curious, what is the format of the group session?

Thanks!

Lol now I can't give you all of the interview info before you come here! Having said that, don't sweat the group session.

Out of curiosity, when is your interview? I give tours for interview groups some days. Who knows, I could have you.

Has anyone gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet?

Has anyone gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet?
i was just about to ask the same thing haha, but i haven't received it yet either. i was accepted on the 15th and i live in jersey so if they sent them out already i should be getting it any day now. I assume they started sending out the letters either monday or yesterday. hopefully i'll have my acceptance spot reserved by the end of this week! :D

Last edited:
hey guys, can anyone who got in or who's interviewing talk a little about what about uConn you loved most? I don't know much about the school and I would like to know more from the perspective of someone in my shoes

i was just about to ask the same thing haha, but i haven't received it yet either. i was accepted on the 15th and i live in jersey so if they sent them out already i should be getting it any day now. I assume they started sending out the letters either monday or yesterday. hopefully i'll have my acceptance spot reserved by the end of this week! :D

Got it today!
Time to spend more money.

first acceptance here today! love uconn, out of state but have done research here previously

hey guys, can anyone who got in or who's interviewing talk a little about what about uConn you loved most? I don't know much about the school and I would like to know more from the perspective of someone in my shoes

My favorite aspect unique to uconn was Student Continuity Practice. It's phenomenal and I don't know why every school doesn't have it in place. It's one of my favorite parts of the week. You can read all about SCP on the uconn som page. It's the bomb.

Is UConn P/F the first two years? And is this reason they don't have AOA because they don't rank the students at all? If so, it's sound like a really nice environment.

Has UCONN given out many interviews so far? It seems like not that many people have been invited yet. Wonder if there will be another wave of invites soon.

Is UConn P/F the first two years? And is this reason they don't have AOA because they don't rank the students at all? If so, it's sound like a really nice environment.

Yes, and yes. It is an extremely nice, entirely uncompetitive environment.

What does UConn SOM offer for board review prep? Are the tests USMLE style questions?

What does UConn SOM offer for board review prep? Are the tests USMLE style questions?

We get six weeks off before the board exam and they have every material imaginable for sale at the bookstore. It's also nice having p/f cutoff at 65%, which permits you to selectively focus on board prep if you want to ease up on class work.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to the class of 2018! So excited!

Interviewed 10/18 Accepted 10/24
I'm OOS, from New York

Call my impatient, but my online status changed to "Admission Accepted" as of 11/4. Yet, still no email/call/letter from Uconn. Is this typical?

Call my impatient, but my online status changed to "Admission Accepted" as of 11/4. Yet, still no email/call/letter from Uconn. Is this typical?

Where are people seeing their on-line status? My portal page says nothing about my application status.

i am a OOS applicant, from Puerto RIco and I have been in love with UCHC since i visited it in 2009 =. I wrote about in the secodnary app. I have been complete for about a week, how long until I hear back fro interview or rejctions?

I'm OOS (38, 3.76) but a UConn undergrad and UCHC is my #1 one choice. I interviewed 10/18 and haven't heard anything from them yet. My admission status changed yesterday to the extraordinarily vague "you have been at the applicant to commit stage since 11/8/2013" would you guys call that an admission? Don't want to get too excited too fast

also for all the interview questions, this was the best interview I had, both my faculty and student interviewer were crazy nice and helpful. The group interview is not a big deal at all its just a conversation and Dr. Zeff is HANDS DOWN the nicest admissions person you are going to meet in this process. No contest.

Where are people seeing their on-line status? My portal page says nothing about my application status.
look on the application website. Log in with the same credentials you used for the secondary application. on the top left side of the page, there is a tab that says medical admissions. click on that, the on the left side of the page theres a link to "Check admissions status"

I'm OOS (38, 3.76) but a UConn undergrad and UCHC is my #1 one choice. I interviewed 10/18 and haven't heard anything from them yet. My admission status changed yesterday to the extraordinarily vague "you have been at the applicant to commit stage since 11/8/2013" would you guys call that an admission? Don't want to get too excited too fast

bigstaX, I'm in the same boat.... interviewed on 10/28 (IS, 34Q, 3.82) and my application status on the website says "You have been at the Applicant to Committ stage since 11/12/2013." Any updates on this? I don't wanna celebrate too early, but I can't wait to finally get in somewhere :thumbup:

bigstaX, I'm in the same boat.... interviewed on 10/28 (IS, 34Q, 3.82) and my application status on the website says "You have been at the Applicant to Committ stage since 11/12/2013." Any updates on this? I don't wanna celebrate too early, but I can't wait to finally get in somewhere :thumbup:

I showed it to a bunch of my friends when I saw it last Friday and they all took it as we're in but after staring at it Saturday morning for a bit I started reading it as "applicant to committee" like that the application is 100% complete now and is being brought to the committee for review. My friends all thought that made more sense but it's really just a guess from me. Good to know someone else is in the same boat though, maybe they're just running late with stuff because I've only seen that one person get accepted since are our interview day

I showed it to a bunch of my friends when I saw it last Friday and they all took it as we're in but after staring at it Saturday morning for a bit I started reading it as "applicant to committee" like that the application is 100% complete now and is being brought to the committee for review. My friends all thought that made more sense but it's really just a guess from me. Good to know someone else is in the same boat though, maybe they're just running late with stuff because I've only seen that one person get accepted since are our interview day

Fwiw i interviewed last week and they said that the committee probably won't meet again until mid December. If your status says it's gone to comm, let's hope it was a previous one and you don't have to wait that long!

Fwiw i interviewed last week and they said that the committee probably won't meet again until mid December. If your status says it's gone to comm, let's hope it was a previous one and you don't have to wait that long!
Oh god that would be brutal. They said at mine that it would be 2-4 weeks....smh I really just want to go to uconn and I'm dying to cancel my other interviews and just get the process over with

I received an interview invite pre-secondary. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it was strange but I am so excited!!!

This happened to me too! Anyone have any insight? My GPA and MCAT scores were pretty average and I have no ties to Connecticut but I am a very young applicant, so I am wondering if maybe they just do this to out of the ordinary applicants (in terms of age, unique experiences, etc.)?

I think it means acceptance because I saw the exact same notification since Nov 8, and I just got the acceptance email today...let me know if you get your acceptance email from Dr.Zeff;)!!

look on the application website. Log in with the same credentials you used for the secondary application. on the top left side of the page, there is a tab that says medical admissions. click on that, the on the left side of the page theres a link to "Check admissions status"

My portal doesn't seem to work... but I received an e-mail today telling me that I am accepted! :) Is there a UCONN Dental and Medical School 2018 Facebook page? I interviewed on November 1st! :)

This happened to me too! Anyone have any insight? My GPA and MCAT scores were pretty average and I have no ties to Connecticut but I am a very young applicant, so I am wondering if maybe they just do this to out of the ordinary applicants (in terms of age, unique experiences, etc.)?

I am a URM and very non-trad. I have a friend who is also a URM and a unique applicant who also received her interview invite pre-secondary. Are you a URM?

Last edited:
My portal doesn't seem to work... but I received an e-mail today telling me that I am accepted! :) Is there a UCONN Dental and Medical School 2018 Facebook page? I interviewed on November 1st! :)
I also interviewed the 1st of November and was accepted!!! Glad to see I wasn't the only one that day!

Reactions: 1 user
I think it means acceptance because I saw the exact same notification since Nov 8, and I just got the acceptance email today...let me know if you get your acceptance email from Dr.Zeff;)!!

Yup! I got in last night I'm so excited! My #1! Time to have as much fun as possible until August! Congrats everyone!

Yup! I got in last night I'm so excited! My #1! Time to have as much fun as possible until August! Congrats everyone!