2013-2014 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does ucoon accept updated or LOI pre interview????

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if uconn is still giving interviews? Complete in September.

Got this on 12/4. II came pre-secondary. Hope that helps...

We are now booking for interviews at UCHC UCONN School of Medicine starting January 24th.
We only interview on Mondays and Fridays.
We start our day at 9:45am and it ends around 3:00 pm. We have students who will take
you on a lunch and tour. We also have students who will host applicants who come in from
out-of-state.
Please just get back to me with a date and I will arrange.
Jan 24
Jan 27
Jan 31

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current M1 willing to answer any questions about UCONN or applying to med school in general. PM me !

I interviewed here and would like to add some updates to my application. Does anyone know if there is a way to add updates through the UCONN portal or do I just send an email to the admissions?

Anyone know if the committee met this week? I interviewed early Nov. and they said decisions would be made early Dec..... Still waiting.

They told us that the committee was meeting Dec 10th and we should hear a few days afterward--I haven't heard anything either! Ahhhhhhhhhhh

When did those who were interviewed have their status change from interview pending to in committee? I also interviewed a few weeks ago but my application status hasn't changed since I got my interview.

ACCEPTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Interviewed 11/15. EXTREMELY happy

Reactions: 1 users
Also, to all of those who received answers after their interview: How long were you at the in committee stage before you were notified of their decision? This waiting is killing me!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, to all of those who received answers after their interview: How long were you at the in committee stage before you were notified of their decision? This waiting is killing me!!

3 days for me I think

Accepted. I was another one of their pre-secondary II's, so I was complete the day before my interview in early Nov. In committee for a week before I was accepted yesterday. Kind of honored to be OOS in a smallish class, but as I said above I'll probably withdraw, depending on the financial aid relative to other schools.

I guess it's going to take longer to hear back from them than I thought. My status isn't at the committee stage yet. I really wanna get in here!

has there been a facebook group made yet for the class of 2018?

Absolutely dying laughing at those kids fighting on this haha. To everyone who got in: Congrats! Can't wait to meet everyone!

I can speak somewhat to the clinical sites, I interned at Hartford Hospital last summer and my experience with the attendings and medical students is what made this OOS applicant switch out all the SUNYs and make UConn his number one choice. I have not, I repeat, I have not met a single academic or clinical faculty member I did not think was amazing--and I have met a bunch of them. What everyone seems to forget is that we all need to be at the exact same place at the end of the second year (passing Step 1). Medicine is medicine, and I don't think there is any educational (in terms of the material) difference between any institution.

Don't question why people want to go somewhere. That's really rude. Some places are a better fit for people in terms of location, finances, and set up of curriculum.

For me personally, everyone has been amazingly helpful and this places feels like one huge family. Medicine is collaborative, UConn is collaborative, everyone helps each other.

Additionally, to that person who said that the cab from Hartford to Farmington was $100 bucks, please keep looking cause that is robbery

How is it possible to get an interview invite pre-secondary. Didn't know that was possible...

How is it possible to get an interview invite pre-secondary. Didn't know that was possible...

I was invited pre-secondary. I am a URM and relatively young. I think they do it for people who are URMs or non-traditional applicants. Speaking of pre-secondary IIs, were there anyone who had a pre-secondary II and was eventually rejected?

Was there no committee meeting yesterday? I thought they had them every Friday. It's been a month since my interview and I haven't received an answer from them.

This is a question for current students: If you are doing a combined degree like MD/MPH, do you have time to take other electives?

This is a question for current students: If you are doing a combined degree like MD/MPH, do you have time to take other electives?

If you do the four year MD/MPH then no, you do not. If you do it in five years, then you do the four MD years the same as everyone else, electives included. The MPH is its own independent fifth year.

Absolutely dying laughing at those kids fighting on this haha. To everyone who got in: Congrats! Can't wait to meet everyone!

I can speak somewhat to the clinical sites, I interned at Hartford Hospital last summer and my experience with the attendings and medical students is what made this OOS applicant switch out all the SUNYs and make UConn his number one choice. I have not, I repeat, I have not met a single academic or clinical faculty member I did not think was amazing--and I have met a bunch of them. What everyone seems to forget is that we all need to be at the exact same place at the end of the second year (passing Step 1). Medicine is medicine, and I don't think there is any educational (in terms of the material) difference between any institution.

Don't question why people want to go somewhere. That's really rude. Some places are a better fit for people in terms of location, finances, and set up of curriculum.

For me personally, everyone has been amazingly helpful and this places feels like one huge family. Medicine is collaborative, UConn is collaborative, everyone helps each other.

Additionally, to that person who said that the cab from Hartford to Farmington was $100 bucks, please keep looking cause that is robbery

Are most clinical rotations off-site? Also, do these off-site locations make it mandatory that students have a car? Thanks for the help!

Are most clinical rotations off-site? Also, do these off-site locations make it mandatory that students have a car? Thanks for the help!

If you are living in CT you will most likely want a car. You will not be able to really go anywhere without a car regardless of the location of the clinical sites. Things in CT are not close together and from what I can remember the public transit system is not very good.

I live in CT. You absolutely require a car. No ifs, ands or buts.

Darn. I really was looking to get rid of my car insurance bills.

Officially declined my acceptance today- I'm going to Minnesota. Good luck to you all.

Anyone interviewing in the next couple of weeks who received an email to show up earlier than 9:45?

I also interviewed on 11/22 and haven't heard anything, status still at "Interview Pending"

Does anyone know when second look weekend will be? Has it been scheduled yet?

Sorry, cant help with that, but since you were accepted can you or anyone else who was accepted tell me how you were informed? Was it an email/ call/ mail etc?

E-mail followed up with an official letter in the mail a couple weeks later.

Did anyone waiting on a decision just see their status change from 'interview pending' to 'in committee'?

Yep, I did. Under status, it went from "Interview Invite" to "In Committee" today. Interviewed 11/22

I've been at the "application complete" stage since 9/5....no word otherwise..is it safe to assume rejection?

Has anyone who interviewed in December seen there status change from interview pending to "In Committee"?

also I am assuming then that the committee met this week if people's status changed? Do you think they broke away from the every second and fourth Tuesday pattern due to the holidays?

also I am assuming then that the committee met this week if people's status changed? Do you think they broke away from the every second and fourth Tuesday pattern due to the holidays?

I'm not sure if being put in the committee stage has anything to do with when they have the committee meetings. I was put into the committee stage on a Friday (December 13), not a Tuesday.

Do you mind if I ask Adi_B when you interviewed and if you are still waiting to hear back from the committee? I interviewed in December and I am just trying to get some sort of idea of when I will hear anything

Do you mind if I ask Adi_B when you interviewed and if you are still waiting to hear back from the committee? I interviewed in December and I am just trying to get some sort of idea of when I will hear anything

I interviewed on 11/22 and was put into committee on 12/13. I haven't heard anything back from UConn since being put in committee. I think they're pretty backed up seeing as the holiday season just passed, because others who interviewed a bit earlier said that they were only in the committee stage for about a week.

Is it bad form to call the admissions office and ask them around when we'll be receiving our decisions?

Is it bad form to call the admissions office and ask them around when we'll be receiving our decisions?

If you do, let me know. I interviewed the same day and I just went to committee on 1/9...but there are people I know who interviewed after us (interviewed in December) that have heard back, so I doubt they'd actually be able to give you an answer because it doesn't seem to be in order :(

I've tried calling all morning and all I'm getting is the voice mailbox. I really didn't want to leave a voicemail, so I guess I'll try again tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated! Also, I'm in California so I'm behind 3 hours. If anyone else on the east coast wants to call super early in the morning (when I'm usually still asleep), feel free to do that and let us know what you find out! :)

rollinstone23,
what dates in December did the people who have heard a decision already interview on? Im surprised because it seemed at my interview we were told the committee reviews applications in order and were not even planning on meeting until mid January (I know they met early December like around Dec. 10th) but I didn't think that they had met after this date. I am assuming your status has to change from interview to committee before you hear a decision, although my status didn't change for about 2 months from complete to interview.