2013-2014 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me what my chances are here?

Illinois resident

3.7 cumulative and science GPA

25 MCAT (7 verbal)

above average ECs

Your GPA is competitive but the MCAT score is low (10th percentile for U of I). Being in-state should help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me what my chances are here?

Illinois resident

3.7 cumulative and science GPA

25 MCAT (7 verbal)

above average ECs

Your MCAT is really low. I would strongly advise you to consider taking it again. I know it sucks, and I know you've heard it before, but a 25 is going to be detrimental to your application. The only chance you'll have is if you're URM, and even then it's going to be a tremendously uphill battle.

How's the school for OOS applicants?

I used to have it on my list but I've recently taken it off due to the absurd OOS tuition. My opinion on the matter is that if it was the only school I got in to, I wouldn't really want to go there ...

Would that be a sound decision? Or is UI pretty friendly with aid and such.

Chances for this school?

sGPA 3.6
cGPA 3.4
URM (Black Male), average EC's ( had to work all throughout high school and college to supper myself. Been working since the 7th grade honestly)
ED Volunteer (50 hrs and counting)
Humane Society Volunteer (approx. 50 hrs and counting)
Phi Theta Kappa (nothing really to write about on AMCAS though)
Biological Honor Society
Approx 20hrs a week or more working (clinical)
Research (4 months and continuing into this summer, no pubs, no presentations yet)
26 MCAT yikes! (PS 7, VR 11, BS 8)
2 strong LOR's, one will be mediocre. Possible 4th letter from my primary care doctor, I just have to light a fire under him (76 year old Indian doctor who forgets a lot!)
Plan to apply to the UMED program, I think being from an under served community will make me an even better candidate to work in one. I really want to attend this school so I can stay close to home and take advantage of the new simulation lab they built onto the hospital.

Chances for this school?

sGPA 3.6
cGPA 3.4
URM (Black Male), average EC's ( had to work all throughout high school and college to supper myself. Been working since the 7th grade honestly)
ED Volunteer (50 hrs and counting)
Humane Society Volunteer (approx. 50 hrs and counting)
Phi Theta Kappa (nothing really to write about on AMCAS though)
Biological Honor Society
Approx 20hrs a week or more working (clinical)
Research (4 months and continuing into this summer, no pubs, no presentations yet)
26 MCAT yikes! (PS 7, VR 11, BS 8)
2 strong LOR's, one will be mediocre. Possible 4th letter from my primary care doctor, I just have to light a fire under him (76 year old Indian doctor who forgets a lot!)
Plan to apply to the UMED program, I think being from an under served community will make me an even better candidate to work in one. I really want to attend this school so I can stay close to home and take advantage of the new simulation lab they built onto the hospital.

Your MCAT is going to be a thorn in your side no matter what. That said, I know two people with an MS that got rejected first round with similar stats. The second time around one of them got in, but I think they increased their MCAT to around 28-29. The other one which had sub-28 did not get in.

I believe UIC has a special post-bac program for URM students which doing well means acceptance if you're worried or don't take your MCAT again. Not sure on how competitive it is though

How's the school for OOS applicants?

I used to have it on my list but I've recently taken it off due to the absurd OOS tuition. My opinion on the matter is that if it was the only school I got in to, I wouldn't really want to go there ...

Would that be a sound decision? Or is UI pretty friendly with aid and such.

I think it was a smart decision. OOS will pay ~100k for M3 and 4 (total expenses). And prices are going up.
There used to be a site that had all the totals laid out but I can't find it anymore they must have taken it down.

What Ive noticed with admissions is that you have to stand out. Those candiates with not-so-impressive stats were impressive in other ways: published, started programs, went through hell and came back, etc. Did anyone else hear about the 51yr old woman who was blind in one eye that was accepted a few years back?!
You need to have the minimums to show you can do the work, but you've also gotta stand out from the crowd and be memorable.
Alas, just my two cents.:thumbup:

What Ive noticed with admissions is that you have to stand out. Those candiates with not-so-impressive stats were impressive in other ways: published, started programs, went through hell and came back, etc. Did anyone else hear about the 51yr old woman who was blind in one eye that was accepted a few years back?!
You need to have the minimums to show you can do the work, but you've also gotta stand out from the crowd and be memorable.
Alas, just my two cents.:thumbup:

This is absolutely every medical school in the country.

I will say, and I say this not as a means to discourage, that unless you're a goddamn lighthouse (and most people aren't no matter what you may think), your MCAT and GPA are still paramount to your admission. If they're too low, you will be automatically cut out.

In the end you can start clubs, promote change, raise money and build houses for disaster struck areas, but no matter what, and just short of curing cancer, your MCAT and GPA will be strongly considered.

Last edited:
Yea I've had it tough, but not as tough as some others. I'm gonna retake. I want to give this cycle my all. If I can't get my score up (29-30+) then I'm going to wait for the next cycle. There's no reason to rush things and then end up as a reapplicant.

So following up on the OOS question....

Each year there are various OOS matriculants (according to the MSAR), but as previously stated, the tuition is incredibly high....

How do OOS students manage to pay for this? Are there scholarships available? I can only imagine paying that much if it was my only option. So is it even worth applying as a non-IL resident? Thanks.

So following up on the OOS question....

Each year there are various OOS matriculants (according to the MSAR), but as previously stated, the tuition is incredibly high....

How do OOS students manage to pay for this? Are there scholarships available? I can only imagine paying that much if it was my only option. So is it even worth applying as a non-IL resident? Thanks.

Two words: Student. Loans. There are definitely scholarships available, but they are few and far between... furthermore, they are typically granted to the most stellar applicants. With that said, you've gotta look at the whole picture: yes, it'll be incredibly costly, but minimum salary for doctors is in six-figure range, so you can pay it all back. In addition, you can defer while during residency (and pay on interest during) and federal lenders (like Sallie Mae) are really nice and offer plenty of repayment options.
Ultimately, it's doable but you have to weigh your options and decide what's important to you.
As an FYI, bankruptcy does not forgive student loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two words: Student. Loans. There are definitely scholarships available, but they are few and far between... furthermore, they are typically granted to the most stellar applicants. With that said, you've gotta look at the whole picture: yes, it'll be incredibly costly, but minimum salary for doctors is in six-figure range, so you can pay it all back. In addition, you can defer while during residency (and pay on interest during) and federal lenders (like Sallie Mae) are really nice and offer plenty of repayment options.
Ultimately, it's doable but you have to weigh your options and decide what's important to you.
As an FYI, bankruptcy does not forgive student loans.

Hmm... well I submitted my primary today with Illinois on my list (MO resident)... we'll see if I end up completing the secondary.

I'll definitely be taking loans out no matter where I end up. The difference will be how much I have to borrow. But anyways, thanks for the response!

Top choice school here! Unfortunately applying late (August MCAT) but still going to try this year and if it doesn't work out just reapply early next cycle. Good luck everyone!

Top choice school here! Unfortunately applying late (August MCAT) but still going to try this year and if it doesn't work out just reapply early next cycle. Good luck everyone!

Hang in there! I applied late last cycle and interviewed in January... Just make sure you get ahold of the secondary questions and get those polished and ready to go! I submitted my secondary the next day after I received it.

How does the application for the UMED program differ from that of the regular MD program? Also, when is the deadline for the entering class of 2014? There isn't much information on the website :/

Here's a link to the UMed program: http://www.medicine.uic.edu/admissions/apply_for_urban_medicine__umed_/

Deadline for primary is Nov 1 (and all subsequent materials); AMCAS opened for submission June 10, 8:30am CST.

Here's more info about admissions: http://www.medicine.uic.edu/admissions

I would LOVE to do the UMED program. How much more competitive is it, and since I already sent in my primary what would I need to do to reclassify to that program?

Im not sure about it's competitiveness, but it is a separate application and it can be done after you've already been accepted.
Check out the site and read more about it.... especially the parts about adding more to your already heay load! They do talk about the various programs on interview day.

M4 student at Chicago campus here. Willing to answer any questions you have about UIC.

Good luck to all the applicants.

Btw, how's verification going for everyone?!:thumbup:

cant say since amcas hasn't received my final college transcript, ughh.

Btw, how's verification going for everyone?!:thumbup:

I haven't submitted yet. :scared::scared::scared: I'm absolutely horrified to press the button. I'm not ready for this!

UIC is one of my top choices though. I hope I get in and good luck to everyone.

Edit: Submitted

Last edited:
I haven't submitted yet. :scared::scared::scared: I'm absolutely horrified to press the button. I'm not ready for this!

UIC is one of my top choices though. I hope I get in and good luck to everyone.

By the way anyone want to take a look at my PS? It's what is preventing me from submitting :(

If you haven't already, I say have a friend or family member read it. When I wrote mine, I had a librarian (friend) and PoliSci Major (bf) read it. It helped getting a non-science perspective from people who write way better than I do.

Otherwise, suck it up and "Just do It"!:D

M4 student at Chicago campus here. Willing to answer any questions you have about UIC.

Good luck to all the applicants.

Totally loaded question for you: Who makes up the AdCom? (There! I asked it!)

Totally loaded question for you: Who makes up the AdCom? (There! I asked it!)

No idea. When you interview, it's a mix of clinicians, researchers, and students who interview you.

No idea. When you interview, it's a mix of clinicians, researchers, and students who interview you.

When I interviewed last cycle, it was an admissions counselor, female M4, and retired professor. The admissions counselor told me that he does not make the decisions. So, they fill out a form about the interviewer and pass it along to the AdCom...

Got an email from here. No secondary yet.

Man I didn't get this email, but I am an instate and fit their stats nicely. Hopefully things work out!

Man I didn't get this email, but I am an instate and fit their stats nicely. Hopefully things work out!

what is this email that is going around? i keep hearing some of y'all are receiving emails from uic, but no one is saying what the email is about. As far as Im aware, no one has received a secondary yet.

UIUC alum and haven't received any email/secondary

edit: just got the secondary

Last edited:
Email about status Monday, secondary received and submitted today.

Remind me, does UIC screen pre-secondary?

If you're submitting a letter packet, do you choose 3 recommenders from it? Or is it considered a composite rec?

what's up with the behavioral science requirement..."2 of the 3 courses have to be in the same field." I have a psych class, soc. class, and humanities class under my belt. Any thoughts?

Just submitted. Very excited

I'm so behind on this :(
For essay 1, am I allowed to talk about writing through a flurry of incoming secondaries from scratch while I have pneumonia?

Not a great start to my app cycle, and definitely not how I want to spend my Independence Day. God Save the queen? Naw, god bless America.

Damn. I don't think I should be completing the secondary to U of Illinois now that I realized they need 3 social science classes. I only have 1 and I already graduated recently.....

Is anyone willing to share what the secondary prompts are for those of us who are submitting late?

If we submit our secondaries by next week, does anyone know how long does it take for them to invite you to an interview? I keep hearing UIC takes a long time...like 4-5 months!! can anyone confirm this?