2013-2014 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine.

Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service.

What does it mean to enter into a profession?

All 1500 characters-including spaces.

GL all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
really excited about this school, OOS though

Members don't see this ad :)
Born and raised Marylander, so I can't wait to get this process started! Great program and one of my top choices!

crossing my fingers for IS love!

Anyone know more about the primary care track? How do people like it?

Anyone know more about the primary care track? How do people like it?

What is the primary care track. I applied to schools with a primary care type of mission statement . I applied here!

I just went to the open house yesterday. I really enjoyed it, and the tour guides definitely gave me some hope into applying to the school and increased my appreciation for it.

I just went to the open house yesterday. I really enjoyed it, and the tour guides definitely gave me some hope into applying to the school and increased my appreciation for it.

Me too! Same sentiments, exactly. I am super stoked applying here, and am salivating a little at the words, "Shock Trauma." Hope I get in!

How did you hear about this open house? I didn't see anything on their website. This was one of my top choices, but my MCAT scores are kind of low. I am thinking about retaking and applying. I just need to retake them sometime before September right?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you hear about this open house? I didn't see anything on their website. This was one of my top choices, but my MCAT scores are kind of low. I am thinking about retaking and applying. I just need to retake them sometime before September right?

I had just went on google and searched UMD open house, and the first link showed the information. This is my top choice, so I did a fair amount of research on the school before I decided to apply.

I had just went on google and searched UMD open house, and the first link showed the information. This is my top choice, so I did a fair amount of research on the school before I decided to apply.

I wonder if they will have another one... Do you by any chance know if they might?

Thanks! :)

I wonder if they will have another one... Do you by any chance know if they might?

Thanks! :)

Sorry about the delay, I don't think they have another open house. If I hear otherwise I will sure let you know

Anyone know if UMD offers IS tutition after the first year?

What have you heard about marylands OOS favorability in admissions. all i can see is the msar matriculated and interviewed. any current students have any insight. thanks

What have you heard about marylands OOS favorability in admissions. all i can see is the msar matriculated and interviewed. any current students have any insight. thanks

also wondering if i should apply. how friendy are they for OOS?

can you post those stats from msar?

also wondering if i should apply. how friendy are they for OOS?

can you post those stats from msar?

3601 Verified OOS Apps
265 OOS Interviews
34 OOS Matriculants (this means more were accepted)

MSAR also states that OOS total COA is $86,846

does anyone think that maryland will change the secondary questions this year? I've been working on it... but now I'm suddenly afraid that they will change the questions and I'd have to start over!

does anyone think that maryland will change the secondary questions this year? I've been working on it... but now I'm suddenly afraid that they will change the questions and I'd have to start over!

Can you post or PM me last years secondary application? Where can I find it? If you are nervous about it. I would suggest just writing an outline. They probably have similar essays as another school. It just helps to get your ideas down. Then when you know their real secondary essays you can actually write them out.

Thank you and best! :)

Got the secondary

19.) Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine.
(1500 character max)1500
20.) Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service.
(1500 character max)1500
21.) What does it mean to enter into a profession?
(1500 character max)

Last edited:
Got the secondary

(1500 character max)1500
20.) Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service.
(1500 character max)1500
(1500 character max)

1500 Including spaces?

Secondary recieved!! ...was starting to get worried. And I hate that they don't grant FAP waivers ugh....good old state school.

Secondary recieved!! ...was starting to get worried. And I hate that they don't grant FAP waivers ugh....good old state school.

Will u let me know if the word count includes spaces when you get a chance? Thanks!

Will u let me know if the word count includes spaces when you get a chance? Thanks!

There are questions that are 1000 (depending on if you answer yes to the questions on the app) but the actual 3 essays are 1500. All including spaces.

Got the secondary today; Applying IS 3.6/34 - hoping for some IS love!!!

Did anyone from OOS receive a secondary?

Got and submitted the secondary!!!

I haven't received it yet. Either they haven't sent out secondaries to OOS applicants, or I've been pre-screened :(

I received it yesterday, so I guess they've started sending to those OOS

I am pretty sure that they don't pre-screen for secondaries. When I went to the open house, Dr. Foxwell said that everyone will receive a secondary

For the question that asks:

Has your education to date been continuous other than vacations? (Meaning: Since high school graduation has your education been continuous up until right now. Please explain any gaps in your education.)

Would my answer be yes or no if I have been in school until my graduate school graduation in June of this year? So I will have a gap year, but have been in school continuously up until June 2013?

MD residency paperwork in the mail today!

I have a question about the secondaries. For the first two questions that ask:

(1500 character max)1500
(1500 character max)1500

Are they talking specifically about a moment in an activity that you're involved in? Or are they looking for you to write generally about one of the health-related / community service related activities as listed on your AMCAS?

(1500 character max)1500
(1500 character max)1500

Are they talking specifically about a moment in an activity that you're involved in? Or are they looking for you to write generally about one of the health-related / community service related activities as listed on your AMCAS?

I would say the latter but be sure to give them specifics. They love specifics :)

Does anyone have a complete application with Maryland? If you go in and click the status tab, do you see a spot where it says interview and then under notes "not yet scheduled"? Just wondering if anyone else sees that.

Does anyone have a complete application with Maryland? If you go in and click the status tab, do you see a spot where it says interview and then under notes "not yet scheduled"? Just wondering if anyone else sees that.

Yep, it's said that for me since I submitted.

Status changed to:

Thank you for applying to the University of Maryland School of Medicine.

I'm thinking that's ominous news.

Status changed to:

Thank you for applying to the University of Maryland School of Medicine.

I'm thinking that's ominous news.

Everyone's front page says this after submission

stop panicking cause if other people start panicking than i'm going to start panicking...

(1500 character max)1500
(1500 character max)1500

I wrote about a specific patient. I don't think it really matters as long as it's good.

Got the secondary

(1500 character max)1500
(1500 character max)1500
(1500 character max)

So, I'm an IS and I'm considering making the third essay question into a why UMD question. What do you all think? :eyebrow: