2013-2014 University of Mississippi Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a non-trad who applied EDP and was accepted. No essays on the secondary and the interview was MMI- which ended up being pretty fun!

I'm a non-trad who applied EDP and was accepted. No essays on the secondary and the interview was MMI- which ended up being pretty fun!
Congratulations!!
Did you prepare for the MMI in any particular way?

I looked closely at the schools mission statement, the example questions that are already floating out there are the internet, and brushed up on healthcare current events, especially things that seemed like they may be particularly relevant to healthcare issues in Mississippi.... It led to some fairly reasonable predictions about what the scenarios might be- I didn't feel like anything came completely out of left field!

For a traditionally quiet thread, I feel like it's REALLY slow this year. I'm applying here, still waiting to be verified by AMCAS. Only 2 B's in my last 81 hours since returning to school, but cGPA is around 2.4, sGPA around 3.5. 31 MCAT (Aug 16). I post so you can feel better about your lack of competition!

Current processing time is around a decade per the AMCAS website.

Last edited:
I'm talking to myself now. Secondary submitted. Just waiting for my letters to arrive at UMC. I wonder how long it will take...my letters were received and processed by AMCAS weeks ago, so hopefully they'll show up soon. I wish I would have found out about UMC's HDCP before the secondary application. I could use more shadowing experience, and it seems like a nice opportunity. I may still apply for next semester. I'm trying to work like my app will be rejected so March doesn't roll around and find me with nothing new to add on the next cycle's application. Anyway, I guess that's all for today, diary. I'll write to you soon when I have new information. You're a great listener!!! XOXO

/s

Dear Diary,

I guess the UMC 2014 discussion thread has officially become my blog. Well, today was the day; I got into medical school. I can't believe it, especially given the quality of the other applicants I interviewed with (with whom I interviewed?). I guess this will be my last entry, but I'm leaving this here for prosperity. Everything lives on forever on the internet (sorry, extremely unflattering picture of Beyonce'), and maybe an applicant next year will read this and be encouraged.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats Gobbles. This thread maybe has 10-15 responses on an annual basis. I know it's not everyone's choice, but I was happy to be looking at this as my school before life took me to another state. Best of luck to you and congratulations again on getting that chance to become a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats Gobbles. This thread maybe has 10-15 responses on an annual basis. I know it's not everyone's choice, but I was happy to be looking at this as my school before life took me to another state. Best of luck to you and congratulations again on getting that chance to become a doctor.

Thanks for the kind words! That means a lot and I wish you all the best as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from this school:meh:, couldn't get into the ivory tower of MS. Thank goodness I have 5 other interviews.

Rejected from this school:meh:, couldn't get into the ivory tower of MS. Thank goodness I have 5 other interviews.
Well unless you're a resident (and they're strict on that, no moving for school) you would get a rejection pre-interview. It's just like LSU has 90%+ in-state with only a couple out of state slots. Other than TX, I'd have to say MS and LA in-state tuition is ridiculously low. I'm glad you've got opportunities in other locations though.

Well unless you're a resident (and they're strict on that, no moving for school) you would get a rejection pre-interview. It's just like LSU has 90%+ in-state with only a couple out of state slots. Other than TX, I'd have to say MS and LA in-state tuition is ridiculously low. I'm glad you've got opportunities in other locations though.

No I am an in state resident.

Hi guys. I'm applying in the 2014 cycle. In state resident, out of state undergrad (private institution in southern region). Now at mississippi college doing the med sci program to compensate for the dismal undergrad GPA. First semester was fine here (3.7) but will probably see a drop in that GPA due to Med Phys I and II; hopefully the Shelf exam can save me. Anyone know of what a competitive GPA out of this master's program for UMMC is? I've heard 3.3, 3.5, 3.7+. I'm really nervous and probably have given myself an ulcer about being accepted to med school. I've heard UMMC is pretty relaxed about the whole thing and acceptance rate is sufficiently high. I met with Dr. Davis and she seemed receptive to everything I'm doing. Just looking for some advice..

Hi guys. I'm applying in the 2014 cycle. In state resident, out of state undergrad (private institution in southern region). Now at mississippi college doing the med sci program to compensate for the dismal undergrad GPA. First semester was fine here (3.7) but will probably see a drop in that GPA due to Med Phys I and II; hopefully the Shelf exam can save me. Anyone know of what a competitive GPA out of this master's program for UMMC is? I've heard 3.3, 3.5, 3.7+. I'm really nervous and probably have given myself an ulcer about being accepted to med school. I've heard UMMC is pretty relaxed about the whole thing and acceptance rate is sufficiently high. I met with Dr. Davis and she seemed receptive to everything I'm doing. Just looking for some advice..

Make SURE UMMC is not the only school you apply to! I cant stress that enough, I know people who did post bac programs and still didn't get into UMMC. Also I hate to say this but UMMC seems like the type of school where you have to have connections to get in.

As someone who has no connections beyond internet, I have to disagree with EMDO2018 on this one. It's obvious that this person is chapped about not getting into the "ivory tower of MS," and I don't know his/her story, but I don't think this is the case based on several other students I know personally at UMMC. Having said that, EMDO2018 is absolutely right about not putting all of your eggs in one basket; this is great advice for everyone. There is no guarantee. Finally, I see EMDO2018 was accepted to another school. Congrats. UMMC's loss is another school's gain.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to be applying during 2015 for the 2016 cycle. I think I said that right, but anywho, if you have any advice, I'd love to hear it!

I am studying for the MCAT now (not the 2015) and will write it in Nov. I am aiming for a 30 because my GPA is slightly subpar 3.5 (basically for both cumulative and science), and I am hoping that will make up for it. I really want to go to UMMC very badly! I will be applying ED! Yay! UMMC is my first choice, and I know, don't put all my eggs in one basket... But I am still going to apply ED, but continue to prepare for sending out RD applications.

As of now, I am an out of state resident, but my undergrad is in MS. I will be graduating in Dec, so I will have a gap year. But, I am in the process of getting residency (already switched my license and everything). However, I lived in Jackson for a few years when I was younger, so maybe that will help too. ;)

But yes, any advice would be ever so greatly appreciated and taken to heart!

My application, as of now, is lacking in EC's and shadowing, but I am going to devote my time after graduation to exploring the healthcare system!

I have a friend who went to MC to do his post-baccalaureate and was an out of state resident. About 4 months before applying to UMMC, he changed his residency and got a job at UMMC. In his opinion, the recommendation letter from his boss at UMMC is what helped him get in to UMMC and he thinks that just switching over his residency may have not been enough. Maybe getting a job at UMMC or making connections will also help you.

I'm going to be applying during 2015 for the 2016 cycle. I think I said that right, but anywho, if you have any advice, I'd love to hear it!

I am studying for the MCAT now (not the 2015) and will write it in Nov. I am aiming for a 30 because my GPA is slightly subpar 3.5 (basically for both cumulative and science), and I am hoping that will make up for it. I really want to go to UMMC very badly! I will be applying ED! Yay! UMMC is my first choice, and I know, don't put all my eggs in one basket... But I am still going to apply ED, but continue to prepare for sending out RD applications.

As of now, I am an out of state resident, but my undergrad is in MS. I will be graduating in Dec, so I will have a gap year. But, I am in the process of getting residency (already switched my license and everything). However, I lived in Jackson for a few years when I was younger, so maybe that will help too. ;)

But yes, any advice would be ever so greatly appreciated and taken to heart!

My application, as of now, is lacking in EC's and shadowing, but I am going to devote my time after graduation to exploring the healthcare system!
I will be apply this year as well! I hope we make it.