2013-2014 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Additional information essay: "Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply."

Diversity essay: "Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc."

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First!

... It's empty in here. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
just for the record, the whole "apply early" thing does not apply to this school, unless you are a stellar applicant. I'm talking like 38 MCAT 4.0 GPA

Why is that? Do most acceptances come off the wait list?

They only accept a few per month, and the rest get pooled at the end of the cycle to complete the class. And there are quite a few from the WL usually as well.

yeah basically only a few get in every month. and by that i mean like 5 tops, from october to february (maybe even march). so that adds up to about 25 people (30 max). then in march they accept a buttload of people to fill out the rest of the class. they accept exactly 96 people (which is the size of the class) and then waitlist another 96. usually in years past theyve gotten to an avg of around #50 and sometimes even up to 60 off the waitlist.

just for the record, the whole "apply early" thing does not apply to this school, unless you are a stellar applicant. I'm talking like 38 MCAT 4.0 GPA

Except that when they are calculating who to accept/wait list in March they take into account when they received your final application. So they will accept Kid A who submitted in August over Kid B who submitted in November with nearly equivalent stats. But it is true that they only accept the top 5 or 7 people a month.

Except that when they are calculating who to accept/wait list in March they take into account when they received your final application. So they will accept Kid A who submitted in August over Kid B who submitted in November with nearly equivalent stats. But it is true that they only accept the top 5 or 7 people a month.
actually i dont think they do. the reason being. right after your interview is over you get a "score" and this score stays the same throughout the entire process. So once someone gets a higher "score" than you later in the cycle, they automatically jump you on the list.

So why do they accept such a small number of students at a time? Are they just trying to make sure they don't over accept?

So why do they accept such a small number of students at a time? Are they just trying to make sure they don't over accept?
to basically give everyone a fair shot, plus it also ensures that they accept the best of the best (but this of course also means that a lot of the accepted students dont attend here because they got into other (better) schools.

to basically give everyone a fair shot, plus it also ensures that they accept the best of the best (but this of course also means that a lot of the accepted students dont attend here because they got into other (better) schools.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Here's to a long cycle...

Members don't see this ad :)
actually i dont think they do. the reason being. right after your interview is over you get a "score" and this score stays the same throughout the entire process. So once someone gets a higher "score" than you later in the cycle, they automatically jump you on the list.

The idea is that the day you are complete is a factor in your "score" so it might be hard to overcome as a late app. This is what the admissions people told me when I interviewed there last year.

Just received a secondary email, IS and I go to Mizzou for undergrad.

I haven't received anything.

Has anyone else received the secondary?

I was also verified on the 11th of June so that might have something to do with it. I think all Missouri residents with at least a 27 MCAT have to get interviewed or something along those lines.

I was also verified on the 11th of June so that might have something to do with it. I think all Missouri residents with at least a 27 MCAT have to get interviewed or something along those lines.

I think it is 28 with at least a 3.5 GPA (if I remember correctly from last year)

Oh ok, I was verified a few days later. I'll be on the look out for the secondary, good luck everyone.

I think it is 28 with at least a 3.5 GPA (if I remember correctly from last year)
I've seen this before. Are you sure these numbers qualify you for an automatic interview or just an automatic secondary?

I've seen this before. Are you sure these numbers qualify you for an automatic interview or just an automatic secondary?

I can't claim 100% certainty but I am pretty sure that's what they said last year at interviews.

I can't claim 100% certainty but I am pretty sure that's what they said last year at interviews.
no the 28 and 3.5 is not for an automatic interview. Mizzou does not do automatic interviews for anyone now (they used to like 10 years ago i believe). The 28 and 3.5 is for OOS who will automatically have "their file open"..whatever that means

Anyone apply ED this year?

Almost, submitted the secondary a few days ago but Mizzou has most pre-med students interview in the honors college to get a committee letter...which doesn't even start until August 19th so I'm stuck waiting on letters :/

Almost, submitted the secondary a few days ago but Mizzou has most pre-med students interview in the honors college to get a committee letter...which doesn't even start until August 19th so I'm stuck waiting on letters :/

Yeah, I know how that goes. They get the letter in pretty quick once you have the interview though!

So I'm an undergrad at Mizzou, applying this year. The premed adviser told me that the "committee interview" and cover letter thing was only available for juniors becoming seniors. Well because of my hours, I was a senior last year so I thought I wasn't eligible for the committee interview process and never submitted my application, which was due like may 17th or whatever. Any idea on how much I just got hurt in my application by not having one of these...?

I'm at Mizzou too, I think committee letters can be useful but I don't feel like you hurt yourself, it can go either way. I'm slightly disappointed with the committee situation because almost all of my secondaries are complete and my letters are in to the honors college but I still have to wait on the interview so essentially working on completing everything early was pointless. I've heard Mizzou Med likes committee letters but I know plenty of people who don't have them, whether from Mizzou or other universities.

hi folks,, how long does it take to receive the secondary

Round two as well. Hoping for a better outcome this time!

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any essays on this secondary?

Originally Posted by ambam

Could someone post the secondary prompts please? My AMCAS was submitted late and I'm still waiting on verification :(

There are two prompts for the secondary and both have a max character limit of 2000. Good luck!

Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply.

Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.

For reapplicants: In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s).(3000 character limit)

This is from last years thread but I don't think they have changed

Hi folks

I have been waiting for the secondary for about two weeks.. is it normal??

Hi folks

Unless you are out of state, I don't think Mizzou screens. Even then, you should at least get a "prove your loyalty" email. Have you checked your spam folder? I am sure it is coming.

I'm wondering this too...IS, verified 6/10, but still no secondary. I don't have an MCAT score yet though, so maybe that's it?

Im IS. I have everything in place. No email at all.. should I contact them?

So I'm an undergrad at Mizzou, applying this year. The premed adviser told me that the "committee interview" and cover letter thing was only available for juniors becoming seniors. Well because of my hours, I was a senior last year so I thought I wasn't eligible for the committee interview process and never submitted my application, which was due like may 17th or whatever. Any idea on how much I just got hurt in my application by not having one of these...?

Honestly I think it will help you because of how late our committee waits for an interview. I complained to my adviser and all I was told is "you'll be fine. It all comes in at the same time. MU doesn't even look until blah blah blah". I didn't even know we had a committee until I overheard someone talking about it. Wish I wasn't listening...

Last edited:
Still no secondary and I've been verified for 2 weeks D: I'll wait another week then contact them. Nothing in spam.

Does anyone know if there is protected time for step 1? Couldn't find anything online