2013-2014 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey UNM class of 2018! I'm an incoming MS-1 this year. I'm here to answer questions you guys may have about the app process. I was also pulled from the waitlist for my class so I know some info about how that works too. Hopefully some upperclassmen and other incoming students will chime in too. Goodluck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I know UNM isn't too receptive to OOS, but I was wondering if there is a place in the secondaries to explain any sort of state connections and if that would even help me being a non-resident? My in-laws live in Albuquerque and it would be nice to be close to family, if possible.

Hey everyone! I know UNM isn't too receptive to OOS, but I was wondering if there is a place in the secondaries to explain any sort of state connections and if that would even help me being a non-resident? My in-laws live in Albuquerque and it would be nice to be close to family, if possible.

Perhaps cheech can explain (as I cant remember off hand) more but I believe there is a section where you explain ties to NM.

There is a spot on the secondary to explain your residency information; but sometimes they will screen you out prior to the secondary (some friends have had this happen)

Right from UNM-SOM website "To receive consideration for the admissions process, applicants must be a resident of New Mexico for at least one year at the time of application or have strong ties to New Mexico. Strong ties include graduating from a New Mexico high school in which you attended for at least one year or being financially dependent on a New Mexico resident."

So unless you are financially dependent on those in-laws or lived here at any point, I don't know how successful you will be in getting past the primary. Also if you are WICHE or from a Native reservation, that will allow you to apply.

Forgot to add, if you are wondering if you would qualify in any way as instate, then I would contact UNMSOM office of admissions.

Forgot to add, if you are wondering if you would qualify in any way as instate, then I would contact UNMSOM office of admissions.
Thanks so much for your help! I'll contact them and give it my best shot.

Hi all, have been following the SDN for a while and figured I would join in the conversation. UNM SOM is my top choice and unfortunately this is my third time applying. First year was wait listed and then last year an outright rejection. I am in state and have worked in the ED the last 2.5 years. Haven't put too much emphasis on primary care (which is probably my issue), but hoping to change that this year!

Hi all, have been following the SDN for a while and figured I would join in the conversation. UNM SOM is my top choice and unfortunately this is my third time applying. First year was wait listed and then last year an outright rejection. I am in state and have worked in the ED the last 2.5 years. Haven't put too much emphasis on primary care (which is probably my issue), but hoping to change that this year!

Good luck! :xf: :luck:

I am a non trad NM resident, just joined SDN and happy to see a UNM thread. I will be applying to UNM for the current cycle (2014). Congratulations to all who just got accepted this cycle. This process is no joke. Your input will be great through this process. First time applying & just took the MCAT.

Last edited:
I am a non trad NM resident, just joined SDN and happy to see a UNM thread. I will be applying to UNM for the current cycle (2014). Congratulations to all who just got accepted this cycle. This process is no joke. Your input will be great through this process. First time applying & just took the MCAT.

Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where's all the New Mexicans at? Haha!

I'm an MS1 as well and very willing to answer your questions about the process! Good luck to all applicants!

P.S. rcheech7 and osteoclast, anatomy block starts tomorrow! good luck!! :D

I'm an MS1 as well and very willing to answer your questions about the process! Good luck to all applicants!

Good luck to all of us! I'm super scared and super pumped at the same time!

Haha I know! I've been blasting out these objectives to try and get ahead...

Any secondaries yet for UNM???

Does anyone have an idea of when we might expect secondaries? :)

This was around the time last year that I got my interview invite (non EDP).

I know that EDP has gone out for this year, but UNM may be behind or something for the regulars.

I would definitely call!

I've applied EDP to UNM SOM. My secondary came several weeks ago and interview this week. I'm assuming the regular pool will get their secondary applications right after EDP is finished interviewing. The best way to find out is by calling though.

I've applied EDP to UNM SOM. My secondary came several weeks ago and interview this week. I'm assuming the regular pool will get their secondary applications right after EDP is finished interviewing. The best way to find out is by calling though.

Is the secondary the same as last year?

Anyways, good luck to everyone who is applying this year! I'm so excited for all of you!! :D:D

Agree with NMed1. I also Applied EDP and I believe everyone who did interviewed last week (Monday or Wednesday), so I guess invitations for secondary applications for regular decision go out soon. Some people may receive it before others based on interview scheduling since everyone has 10 days to complete secondaries. Some people got interview dates the same day they submitted their secondaries, some after a week.

Last edited:
Could anyone post the secondary prompts or comment about whether they are the same as last years? Thanks!

Don't be too worried about this being your third time applying. I'm an MSI, and it took me 6 (yes, 6!) applications to get in (cheech and Ost3oclast are going to figure out who I am really quick). The most important thing to mention in the secondary and the interview is that you have a strong connection to the state and that you want to practice in the state. Do not mention anything about going out of state for a residency, otherwise you're gonna be looking at another rejection letter.

To demonstrate that you have an understanding of the rural aspect of medicine in the state, you should read "The Scalpel and the Silver Bear" by Lori Alvord. Mentioning that in an interview will tell the interviewer that you are conscious of the challenges of practicing medicine in a state such as UNM.

Stay positive, if you keep improving your application they'll let you in just to get rid of you.:D

Reactions: 1 user
:thumbup: :thumbup: Accepted ED! :thumbup::thumbup: Best of luck to everyone applying. :love: UNM

Anyone else with an interview? Really don't know what to expect.

@ChemNerd07: 1. Just be yourself (the most important) and relax; 2. Get good rest especially the day before your interview since its an all day event, and some interviews may be late afternoon. 3. Know your primary and secondary applications from cover to cover...which is obvious b/c you wrote them. Good luck!!

Thanks @Doctor Agsteman! I am blessed to have gotten in on my first attempt. Your persistence & finally getting in after 6 applications is inspirational and commendable!!

Hello Everyone,
I am new to SDN, already filled out application for classes starting in 2014. Does any of you have information, what the lowest MCAT score SOM UNM have accepted. I have pretty low score. Taken MCAT twice. Do they look at all of the MCAT scores or highest composite score. Pretty stressed out over here. My application has been processed and still haven't received invitation for Secondary Application.
My Stats are following:
1st MCAT Attempt: 26 (PS10,VR6,BS10)
2nd MCAT Attempt: 23(PS9, VR4, BS10)
Science GPA: 3.74
Overall GPA: 8.21
I know it sucks that I went down on second MCAT attempt. What you guys think, what chances I have to get admission in SOM UNM.

Thanks for Help

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I am new to SDN, already filled out application for classes starting in 2014. Does any of you have information, what the lowest MCAT score SOM UNM have accepted. I have pretty low score. Taken MCAT twice. Do they look at all of the MCAT scores or highest composite score. Pretty stressed out over here. My application has been processed and still haven't received invitation for Secondary Application.
My Stats are following:
1st MCAT Attempt: 26 (PS10,VR6,BS10)
2nd MCAT Attempt: 23(PS9, VR4, BS10)
Science GPA: 3.74
Overall GPA: 8.21
I know it sucks that I went down on second MCAT attempt. What you guys think, what chances I have to get admission in SOM UNM.

Thanks for Help

You're still within range for UNM's MCAT score preferences, but it's not going to help that your second MCAT score was lower than the first. The average MCAT for the class of 2016 (matriculated 2012) was 28, and I'm sure my class (2017) is around that number as well. Looking at your scores, if you were to take the MCAT again, you really need to focus on the verbal reasoning. The best things to do are write outstanding secondary answers and really impress your interviewers.

Thanks Doctor Agsteman. I'll try my best in Secondary Application and interviews. Hopefully i'll get admission. Still waiting for the Secondary Application invitation.

Can anyone share some info on the interview process? what type of questions did they ask in regards to healthcare in new mexico?

Can anyone share some info on the interview process? what type of questions did they ask in regards to healthcare in new mexico?

You will have two one-on-one interviews on interview day. Your interviewer could be a faculty member, a med student, or a local physician. The type of questions they will ask are designed to allow you to demonstrate your knowledge about the healthcare issues facing the entire state (urban and rural). They can focus on the primary care aspect, the rural aspect and the cultural aspect. The interviewers are very good at figuring out if you're lying; so if you say you want to do rural primary care and you haven't done any rural outreach or rural primary care shadowing, they'll know that you're just trying to say what you think they want to hear.

You will also be asked about your application extracurriculars and secondary answers. Know them inside and out. Be prepared to talk in depth about them and how they relate to why you want to be a physician.

The Secondary says that the interview day "consists of traditional interview formats combined with more interactive assessments of each candidate's fit with the mission of UNM SOM." Can anyone who has interviewed this year describe what these "interactive assessments" are?

Hello all!

Maybe someone can answer this... I know UNM has a breakdown points of 50/50 cog/non-cog. Is the admission strictly objective based on your earned points across the board, or is some aspect of the acceptance subjective? Thanks in advance.

Hello all!

Maybe someone can answer this... I know UNM has a breakdown points of 50/50 cog/non-cog. Is the admission strictly objective based on your earned points across the board, or is some aspect of the acceptance subjective? Thanks in advance.

The subjective part is then non-cog part. I think for the most part they try to stick to the rubric, but there certainly could be exceptions.

Has anyone received Secondary Application who applied under regular programs?

The Secondary says that the interview day "consists of traditional interview formats combined with more interactive assessments of each candidate's fit with the mission of UNM SOM." Can anyone who has interviewed this year describe what these "interactive assessments" are?

I'm not really sure what the "interactive assessments" are. That's the first that I've heard about this part of interview day. Maybe somebody who has already interviewed can shed some light on this (itrinity?).

I'm not really sure what the "interactive assessments" are. That's the first that I've heard about this part of interview day. Maybe somebody who has already interviewed can shed some light on this (itrinity?).

I interviewed in September. I think "interactive assessments" probably refer to how well you interact with, and clearly communicate your responses in a succinct manner to the interviewers, i.e in a nut shell - "non-cognitive skills". You may have a 4.0 GPA and a 45 MCAT (cognitive), but if you lack even basic social skills (such as knowing that you you greet or acknowledge people when you walk into a room, or stand up when a "higher up" or an interviewer walks into a room), these will pop out unconsciously and doom you. Good social skills are very very important as a physician. Don't just be a jerk or a tense recluse on interview day. Interact with other students interviewing with you. I'm not sure there are points for this, but it is a good way of life to develop basic social skills. Not that you be a comedian, but just be able to have conversations with people you meet all day, and SMILE!!! SMILE!!! SMILE!!!! and Relax.

I just got accepted :love:!!!! Good luck to everyone!

I applied regular decision and had my interview at the end of October.

Reactions: 1 users
Walter White School of Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed in September. I think "interactive assessments" probably refer to how well you interact with, and clearly communicate your responses in a succinct manner to the interviewers, i.e in a nut shell - "non-cognitive skills". You may have a 4.0 GPA and a 45 MCAT (cognitive), but if you lack even basic social skills (such as knowing that you you greet or acknowledge people when you walk into a room, or stand up when a "higher up" or an interviewer walks into a room), these will pop out unconsciously and doom you. Good social skills are very very important as a physician. Don't just be a jerk or a tense recluse on interview day. Interact with other students interviewing with you. I'm not sure there are points for this, but it is a good way of life to develop basic social skills. Not that you be a comedian, but just be able to have conversations with people you meet all day, and SMILE!!! SMILE!!! SMILE!!!! and Relax.
I would definitely agree with this. They straight up told me as soon as they sat down that it was an informal interview. I basically just winged it. Just have fun and be relaxed. Being too nervous can look really bad (no pressure right? lol). The best advice I've gotten about interviews is be yourself and don't be weird. Haha.

I interviewed on Nov. 12 but have not heard back. :(

That may be a good thing- I believe Dr Ballejos said that something about notifying people in December if they're definitely going to be denied this cycle.

I was under the impression that within 3 weeks of your interview they notify you if you are accepted within rolling admissions. Is it different during December?