2013-2014 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are the prompts for MD/PhD applicants. If you are applying MD only, please shoot me a quick PM so I can confirm that the prompts are the same when you receive your secondary. Thanks!

Section F: Prompts (Applicants for the MD and MD/PhD Program)
*Respond to each prompt in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

Prompt 1: We have all tried something and failed, whether it was something big or something small. Describe a situation or an experience you had when you realized that you were not up to the task, and tell us what life-lessons you learned from this experience.

Prompt 2: Much of medical school education is based on team-learning. What important activity have you accomplished that required a team approach, what
was your role in the outcome, and what did you learn from it?

Prompt 3: Give an example of how you have made a difference in someone's life whether it is a patient, friend, classmate, or a family member and explain what
this experience taught you about yourself.

Section G: Research Interests (MD/PhD Applicants Only)
Please list your top 5 areas of research interest below. This list will help us determine which research faculty you should meet if you are invited for an interview.

Section H: Re-applicants (MD and/or MD/PhD Applicants)
Prompt 1: Explain why you have decided to reapply. Please respond in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

GL to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In the words of Waka Flocka Flame: "Oh, let's do it."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I went to UNC for undergrad and fell in love with the town and the people. I can definitely say UNC would be my first choice and I wouldn't mind spending another 4 years as a Tarheel! Could some current UNC med students please list some things they like and don't like about the school, if possible? That would help a bunch, thanks in advance!

Worth it as OOS at all ...?

I strongly considered UNC as OOS but decided not to with a 3.7 35 MCAT. Looking through old threads on SDN, it seemed their OOS acceptees were exceptionally over-qualified and/or filled some diversity niche.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for those applying this cycle: UNC will unveil a new curriculum for the class entering Fall 2014.

http://www.med.unc.edu/md/curriculum/curriculum-overview/tec-curriculum

Pretty interesting transition from the current curriculum, one that reflects recent shifts in medical education.

UNC is a great school with tremendous clinical training and a very happy student body. Best of luck this cycle!

Worth it as OOS at all ...?

I met an MS1 at Harvard this year who got into a half dozen ivies but did not get into UNC out of state. It's tough.

Anyways, UNC is a great school and I will be applying in-state. A top 25 school for >18k tuition+fees a year? Sign me up! :love:

Just a heads up for those applying this cycle: UNC will unveil a new curriculum for the class entering Fall 2014.

http://www.med.unc.edu/md/curriculum/curriculum-overview/tec-curriculum

Pretty interesting transition from the current curriculum, one that reflects recent shifts in medical education.

UNC is a great school with tremendous clinical training and a very happy student body. Best of luck this cycle!

That curriculum looks very streamlined. Very appealing to me!
I'm in-state 3.92/33

Good luck everyone!

Hey anyone hear about when secondaries will come out? Same time as last year?

Anyone non-MD/PhD get the secondary? I just received an email saying they had received my primary from AMCAS and secondary applications would come later.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone non-md/phd get the secondary? I just received an email saying they had received my primary from amcas and secondary applications would come later.

+1

Got the "we received your primary" email today. I really hope I can get through to them how badly I want to go to school here. OOS with very strong ties.

Got the "we received your primary" email today. I really hope I can get through to them how badly I want to go to school here. OOS with very strong ties.

Got this email today too. OOS as well but have been obsessed with this school for a long time.

does anyone know how unc treats students who attend UG in north carolina ?

does anyone know how unc treats students who attend UG in north carolina ?

The committee only classifies students based on their state of residency, regardless of whether a North Carolina resident attended Wake Forest or Yale or Oregon State.

Members of the committee may be more familiar with certain schools, degree programs, and letter writers in/from North Carolina; however, no institutional preference is given - just residence.

Just wondering, but have any OOS MD-only applicants received the secondary?

Just wondering, but have any OOS MD-only applicants received the secondary?
Not yet; I got the email last week saying that they have received my application, and based on my stats, I should receive a secondary.

Hi guys, I have 31 and 3.9 GPA, 2 years of research, 40 hours of shadowing but im international student from New Zealand. I loooove UNC any current med students kind enough to share some insights to what my chances at the school is?

Anyone having photo upload issues? First time I logged in, there was a picture of some random girl there, so I logged out and back in and now can't upload an actual picture of myself haha.

Are we supposed to fill out the residency form along with the supplemental application?

Are we supposed to fill out the residency form along with the supplemental application?

It says to, and mail it in. So you don't need it to submit your ap, but they want it in right away.

Last edited:
So I spent an hour filling out that residency form and tried to print it. I lost my data and it didn't print AND the stupid form won't open again. Gah!

What are some of your stats for MD secondary? In state or OOS?? Just wondering…and anxious.

So I spent an hour filling out that residency form and tried to print it. I lost my data and it didn't print AND the stupid form won't open again. Gah!

Yeah, I'm also having trouble getting that form to open.

Soooo when they say important team activity....
I'm a nontrad military applicant and I have a ton of military team stories, but I'm getting really tired of writing about the Army. And I'm sure they would be tired of reading about it. I am also one half of a doubles aerial acrobat act. It requires some pretty intense teamwork to say the least. But is my hobby "important" enough for this essay?

I'm a nontrad military applicant and I have a ton of military team stories, but I'm getting really tired of writing about the Army. And I'm sure they would be tired of reading about it. I am also one half of a doubles aerial acrobat act. It requires some pretty intense teamwork to say the least. But is my hobby "important" enough for this essay?

I think that would be a pretty cool change of pace, for you and the committee!

Absolutely.

I would interpret the prompt as 'important to you.' I believe it's more important you offer an activity that was a significant commitment on your part (not just a once-a-semester gig) that demonstrates your ability to play well with others (as a teammate and even in a leadership role) than highlight something dramatic and super serious sounding.

Further, that is an awesome way to make yourself stand out from the crowd. It cannot be overstated how easy it is for qualified applicants to blend in as the pool deepens - do what you can to leave an impression on your readers/interviewers.

For MSTP people, how did you answer section G? Did you actually make a short list, or did you talk about your research interests more extensively in paragraphs?

I emailed and they said they disabled the residency form and are working on a new format to cut down on paper. They will email applicants when it is available again.

Has anyone who has received the secondary been OOS (and not in the MD/PHD program)

I emailed and they said they disabled the residency form and are working on a new format to cut down on paper. They will email applicants when it is available again.

Do you think that we should wait to submit the supplemental application after the residency form comes in?

Do you think that we should wait to submit the supplemental application after the residency form comes in?

I would submit your supplemental application as soon as it's ready.

What does everyone think about "secondary = interview invite"? The MSAR seems to disagree with this, as it's hard to believe that a little less than half of the IS applicants would fail to fill out their secondary.

No, send it in as soon as you've completed it.

Your residency form has no bearing on your chance at an interview or admission. That was reserved for the state of residence you entered on AMCAS. This particular form is only concerned about residency for tuition purposes.

Did anyone who submitted get a complete email? My status says my secondary has been submitted but nothing about letters or anything and I never got a confirmation.

I have not received any emails regarding my submitted application, my payment, or letters.