2013-2014 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for the essay question. PM me when it is available and I will update. GL all.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm excited to apply! OOS here! I loved learning about the school and mission !

I'm excited to apply! OOS here! I loved learning about the school and mission !

Do you have ties to the state? North Dakota doesn't accept many out of state people unless they are WICHE, INMED, former ND residents or those who have really strong ties to the state, or MN residents.

Under represented, I spoke to the admissions prior to applying!

Under represented, I spoke to the admissions prior to applying!

If you don't have strong stats (36+ and nearly perfect GPA) and aren't a ND/former ND resident, MN/WICHE, or INMED applicant, I'd reconsider applying. The last time a true OOS applicant who didn't fall into one of those categories and was accepted was five years ago. That individual also had near perfect stats and a family member completing a residency through UND.

I know of other people who have asked admissions regarding their chances as an OOS URM or having "ties" to ND (often very distant/loose ones) but never having been a resident in ND, and the response is almost always "yes we'll give you consideration." However, that "consideration" will be for one of the 20-30 interviews granted after automatic interviews go out - which if any go to OOS applicants it will very likely be those with ties to ND and who receive the max, or near max number, of pre-interview points (200max for a 36+ and 4.0/4.0). IIRC only 1-2 OOS applicants received interviews last year and they both had strong ties to ND. I'm not trying to be discouraging - just letting you what kind of chances you're likely looking at for UND.

Well I already applied ;( I guess they did fill me up with false hope because I specifically said what I was, and my plans. I told them I only had 14 schools to apply to (from fap) and wanted to make sure I used then wisely! Now I'm sad :( I could off applied to cooper instead! Grr y would the deceive?

Well hold on a sec because if MrsHopeful is Native then she rightly applied to UND because they reserve a specific number of seats for native americans in each class.

Most likely applying here. ND resident, went to school at UND, my husband went to school at UND as well. Previous MN resident.

Anyone know how flexible they are with the college algebra requirement? I never took that (did take Calc I tho, and that was good enough to get me in physics)

Well hold on a sec because if MrsHopeful is Native then she rightly applied to UND because they reserve a specific number of seats for native americans in each class.

Most likely applying here. ND resident, went to school at UND, my husband went to school at UND as well. Previous MN resident.

Anyone know how flexible they are with the college algebra requirement? I never took that (did take Calc I tho, and that was good enough to get me in physics)

I PMed MrsHopeful and she does qualify to apply to INMED. I think you should be fine without college algebra. I just took calc and several stats classes and that was fine last year.

Last year's application thread had the secondary questions on August 8th, FWIW.

Ya you will definitely be fine with Calc. I had the same question so I emailed admissions a week or so ago, and they said college algebra is the minimum, so anything above that will count.

Members don't see this ad :)
2.What do you consider to be your hometown? Explain.[*Edit*]-- Question not answered yet --
3.Given the purpose of the school, please justify why you should be accepted for admission. INMED students, please explain how you fulfill the purpose of the Indians into Medicine Program.[*Edit*]-- Question not answered yet --
4.Describe how your experiences (health care or social care) will help you develop into a compassionate physician.[*Edit*]-- Question not answered yet --
5.Describe how familiar you are with life in a rural and/or Native American community.[*Edit*]-- Question not answered yet --
6.Describe how you have contributed to your family or community.[*Edit*]-- Question not answered yet --
7.What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to medical school:[*Edit*]This Year?-- Question not answered yet --Ever?-- Question not answered yet --
8.If needed, update the information in your AMCAS application (i.e., grades in recent courses, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation, additions to extracurricular activities, unreported legal infractions, etc.).[*Edit*]-- Question not answered yet --
9. Describe your connection to the state of North Dakota. WICHE, INMED and Minnesota applicants, describe your connections to your respective communities and/or to North Dakota.[*Edit*]-- Question not answered yet --
10. UNDSMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.[*Edit*]-- Question not answered yet --

Does the grandest of forks count as rural?

I received my secondaries on the 20th as well. My application is still stuck in the review stages so I think they are aware of the time delay this year and getting everyone started.

I received my secondaries on the 20th as well. My application is still stuck in the review stages so I think they are aware of the time delay this year and getting everyone started.

That's what I figured, considering I just submitted my app a week ago and have already received 3 secondaries.

Secondary submitted any idea when iis start going out?

They'll pretty much all be sent out at the same time in mid November.

Jeez. Let the waiting game begin. Hey do you have any idea how many apps/ acceptances there were last year?

Jeez. Let the waiting game begin. Hey do you have any idea how many apps/ acceptances there were last year?

Excluding INMED applicants I think its about 600ish applications for 63 spots..............
Also, IIRC those who interview have about a 55% chance of being accepted.

Excluding INMED applicants I think its about 600ish applications for 63 spots..............
Also, IIRC those who interview have about a 55% chance of being accepted.

Thanks love

Secondary submitted, any idea when they will collect the $50 fee?

Just send a check to the admissions office. I think all info is in the secondary or the e-mail with the link.

Last edited:
I just got an email today saying they are having issues setting up the online payment system and that they will send us another email if they get it set up or if we need to pay by any other means. They are also currently processing applications without the fee.

The payment system is working, received confirmation of payment via email. Now to play the waiting game

The payment system is working, received confirmation of payment via email. Now to play the waiting game

When you tried to submit, did the AAMC ID box have something pre-populated? Like it was some other number for me, not my ID.. I held off submitting because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to replace that number or leave it (maybe it was for internal Adcom use?)

When you tried to submit, did the AAMC ID box have something pre-populated? Like it was some other number for me, not my ID.. I held off submitting because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to replace that number or leave it (maybe it was for internal Adcom use?)

Yes I had a prefilled number. I assumed perhaps mistakenly that it was UND's internal number designated for me.

I realize this is way late, but the class size is bigger now, I believe 78 for next year. According to admissions however they have already received over 1300 applications as of last week, which is already the most they have ever had.

I realize this is way late, but the class size is bigger now, I believe 78 for next year. According to admissions however they have already received over 1300 applications as of last week, which is already the most they have ever had.

I wonder if that is an increase in OOS apps

I wonder if that is an increase in OOS apps

Most likely. Last year, their first year participating in AMCAS, the number of applications they received doubled. The number of apps received isn't up too much from last year and less than half of the secondaries set out were completed. Also, I think they're done with the class expansion for now (70 total). Seems weird that they would just suddenly add 8 more spots for next year. When they started the class expansion about 4 years ago they did it in a stagged process only adding 1-2 spots a year over a 4 year period.

what are my chances 25 MCAT( 11PS 9BS 5 V) ND resident for last 6 months and just submitted my secondary.Non traditional

what are my chances 25 MCAT( 11PS 9BS 5 V) ND resident for last 6 months and just submitted my secondary.Non traditional

Probably very unlikely to even receive an ii. What's your former residency?

Longtime lurker, but current applicant. I was wondering what my chances at UND would be, simply from some basic information:

3.7 GPA/31 MCAT
University of Minnesota -- Twin Cities undergrad
President of two student organizations
Currently in AmeriCorps serving at a health clinic in urban Philadelphia

I am from rural NW Minnesota, and I broke my femur five times growing up. Every time, I went to the Altru Clinic in Grand Forks, and my orthopedic surgeons were all from UND.

Bit of a different case, I'm sure. But I wanted to know what my "ties" to UND may be and how they may affect my application.

Thanks!

Glad they extended the deadline...I was having some issues with the site

Now that the app is officially closed, we should be hearing about interviews reasonably soon, yeah?? Anyone have a tentative idea for dates?

Now that the app is officially closed, we should be hearing about interviews reasonably soon, yeah?? Anyone have a tentative idea for dates?
Previous year threads suggest later November.

Reactions: 1 user