2013-2014 University of Oklahoma College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Greeetings all! Just want to wish everyone the best luck in applying here. This is an excellent school. I'm IS, and have visited the school several times so I may be able to answer a few questions.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: Will find out soon

Last edited:
Hoping for some love from this school! OOS applicant with strong ties to OK (Go to school in Tulsa). Also doing their undergrad research experience this summer. I love the campus and the people around here. Here we go!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT scores are in! I'm feeling good about this!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hoping for some love from this school! OOS applicant with strong ties to OK (Go to school in Tulsa). Also doing their undergrad research experience this summer. I love the campus and the people around here. Here we go!

Doing the undergrad summer program will put you way ahead of other OOS applicants if your "objective" stats are competitive! This school uses a rank order system to send interview invites, 70%of your rank score is Mcat and 30% is sGPA. They also consider a few extraneous conditions like adversity and ties to the state (for OOS). Good luck! You sound like this is a school at which you will be happy, which means you will do well! Here's to hoping we will soon be classmates! :luck:

Doing the undergrad summer program will put you way ahead of other OOS applicants if your "objective" stats are competitive! This school uses a rank order system to send interview invites, 70%of your rank score is Mcat and 30% is sGPA. They also consider a few extraneous conditions like adversity and ties to the state (for OOS). Good luck! You sound like this is a school at which you will be happy, which means you will do well! Here's to hoping we will soon be classmates! :luck:

Sounds good! Well done on the MCAT! You seem like the perfect candidate for OU. I told myself that I wouldn't retake if I got above 30, so hopefully my 4.0gpa/8v10p12b gets me an II. I've been checking out the campus when I'm not in the lab and I think that it's great. Only time will tell this cycle. Good luck!

I just received the secondary! CA Resident, 3.85 GPA, 31 MCAT.

Here are the questions:

1. If you are a nonresident of Oklahoma but have close ties to our state, please indicate below. (Examples: born in OK, attended school in OK, family living in OK)
Yes No

Did you attend high school in Oklahoma?
Yes No
Did you attend an Oklahoma college or university?
Yes No
Do either of your parents live or work in Oklahoma?
Yes No
Is either parent an alum of OU College of Medicine?
Yes No

2. Please indicate below if you are enrolled in a graduate degree program. If you are enrolled in a graduate program you must submit a letter from the program director or chair of the department stating you are in good standing and that they are supportive of your application.
Yes No

3. Are you applying to the joint MD/PhD educational track? If so, please indicate below and download an application here.
Yes No

4. Applicants now have two educational track options at the College of Medicine. One is in Oklahoma City and the other is a new opportunity located at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine ‐ School of Community Medicine (SCM) campus in Tulsa. For information about the SCM track, please check the SCM website.

Please indicate your interest below. Applicants can indicate interest in one or both campuses. All applicants interested in the SCM must complete three additional questions and will be contacted directly by the SCM regarding application status and interview selection.
Oklahoma City Educational Track:
Yes No
Oklahoma City and SCM Track:
Yes No

I just received the secondary! CA Resident, 3.85 GPA, 31 MCAT.

Here are the questions:

1. If you are a nonresident of Oklahoma but have close ties to our state, please indicate below. (Examples: born in OK, attended school in OK, family living in OK)
Yes No

Did you attend high school in Oklahoma?
Yes No
Did you attend an Oklahoma college or university?
Yes No
Do either of your parents live or work in Oklahoma?
Yes No
Is either parent an alum of OU College of Medicine?
Yes No

2. Please indicate below if you are enrolled in a graduate degree program. If you are enrolled in a graduate program you must submit a letter from the program director or chair of the department stating you are in good standing and that they are supportive of your application.
Yes No

3. Are you applying to the joint MD/PhD educational track? If so, please indicate below and download an application here.
Yes No

4. Applicants now have two educational track options at the College of Medicine. One is in Oklahoma City and the other is a new opportunity located at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine ‐ School of Community Medicine (SCM) campus in Tulsa. For information about the SCM track, please check the SCM website.

Please indicate your interest below. Applicants can indicate interest in one or both campuses. All applicants interested in the SCM must complete three additional questions and will be contacted directly by the SCM regarding application status and interview selection.
Oklahoma City Educational Track:
Yes No
Oklahoma City and SCM Track:
Yes No

Looks to be the same as last year's secondary.

Also, if you indicate you are interested in either the MD/PhD or the SCM programs, they have you fill out a few extra questions. And if you're OOS, you are asked to list any OK ties.

Just submitted my secondary. It was pretty uneventful lol!

Secondary received and submitted 7/12. Would be thrilled to go to school here. Good luck all!!

So does it matter when you submit your secondary (I'm working on the essay portion)? Or does any date before September 1st allow you to be considered for the first round of interviews?

So does it matter when you submit your secondary (I'm working on the essay portion)? Or does any date before September 1st allow you to be considered for the first round of interviews?

Not sure if there is a certain date by which you'll still be considered for the first round of interviews, but earlier is always better. Plus, the secondary is really short (no essays unless you're wanting to do the SCM track).

Btw, I'm an incoming MS1, and although I haven't started school yet, I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions that you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if there is a certain date by which you'll still be considered for the first round of interviews, but earlier is always better. Plus, the secondary is really short (no essays unless you're wanting to do the SCM track).

Btw, I'm an incoming MS1, and although I haven't started school yet, I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions that you have.

Black Mamba, did you interview/get acceptances elsewhere and if so, what helped you decide on OUHSC?

Black Mamba, did you interview/get acceptances elsewhere and if so, what helped you decide on OUHSC?

I did get acceptances elsewhere. However, I felt that OU met all of my needs the best. It was close to home (very important for me) and relatively cheap. On interview day, I was impressed with the facilities of the med school. I also liked the campus itself and the fact that it contains several other colleges (I was surprised to learn that this is not the case for the vast majority of med schools). Also, in talking to current students I found that going to OU would not prevent me from entering any specialty I wanted (which was important because I have no idea what I want to do yet).

In picking a school, you should identify what's most important to you and see how well different schools fit your needs, which is admittedly hard to do without visiting the schools.

I did get acceptances elsewhere. However, I felt that OU met all of my needs the best. It was close to home (very important for me) and relatively cheap. On interview day, I was impressed with the facilities of the med school. I also liked the campus itself and the fact that it contains several other colleges (I was surprised to learn that this is not the case for the vast majority of med schools). Also, in talking to current students I found that going to OU would not prevent me from entering any specialty I wanted (which was important because I have no idea what I want to do yet).

In picking a school, you should identify what's most important to you and see how well different schools fit your needs, which is admittedly hard to do without visiting the schools.

Thank you for the insight. I am considering many of the same things in my search for a med school and have been impressed with OU both times I have been able to visit. I appreciate the help!

So I submitted my secondary on July 4th, and my letters were listed as received on 7/19, and entered on 7/22. But on the checklist, there is still a big red X next to my LOR and an X next to application complete.

Is anyone else seeing this, or has anyone been marked complete?

So I submitted my secondary on July 4th, and my letters were listed as received on 7/19, and entered on 7/22. But on the checklist, there is still a big red X next to my LOR and an X next to application complete.

Is anyone else seeing this, or has anyone been marked complete?

I had this exact same problem. I called and they said there was a little glitch with committee letters where the system wasn't accepting them as completely filling the requirement. They said it was no problem to fix and they had it corrected by the end of the day as promised.

I had this exact same problem. I called and they said there was a little glitch with committee letters where the system wasn't accepting them as completely filling the requirement. They said it was no problem to fix and they had it corrected by the end of the day as promised.
Great, thanks so much! I'll give them a call this morning and let them know what's going on.

I can't believe it was a year ago that I went through all this...

Hey guys,

I'm an MS2, and I was pretty active on the application thread last year. I can answer any questions you might have about living in OKC, my experience with classes and mods, etc. PM me or post here, and I'll try to get back to you as often as possible!

Is it worth applying here if you are OOS and your only ties to OK are family (close cousins) living there?

Is it worth applying here if you are OOS and your only ties to OK are family (close cousins) living there?

It depends on your stats and how strong your ties are, honestly. OU is required to accept at least 75% of applicants from in-state. That puts OOS applicants at a numbers disadvantage already, but it's not impossible--there are several people in my class not from Oklahoma.

One of the biggest things our adcoms want to see is that you hopefully want to stay and practice in Oklahoma. I once heard a ridiculous number for the amount of money it takes to train each student, which I'm not sure is true or not. However, the whole point of making the admissions process so IS-friendly is so that OU can crank out physicians that have a strong enough tie to Oklahoma to eventually settle there and continue their careers in the long run.

I wouldn't advise you, or anyone else for that matter, not to apply as an OOS student. But if you do, keep in mind that you'll most likely be asked in your interview (directly or indirectly) what makes you want to come to Oklahoma, and if you could see yourself practicing here long term. A positive response (and genuine response) would hopefully give you an edge over someone just applying for the hell of it, if that makes sense.

It depends on your stats and how strong your ties are, honestly. OU is required to accept at least 75% of applicants from in-state. That puts OOS applicants at a numbers disadvantage already, but it's not impossible--there are several people in my class not from Oklahoma.

One of the biggest things our adcoms want to see is that you hopefully want to stay and practice in Oklahoma. I once heard a ridiculous number for the amount of money it takes to train each student, which I'm not sure is true or not. However, the whole point of making the admissions process so IS-friendly is so that OU can crank out physicians that have a strong enough tie to Oklahoma to eventually settle there and continue their careers in the long run.

I wouldn't advise you, or anyone else for that matter, not to apply as an OOS student. But if you do, keep in mind that you'll most likely be asked in your interview (directly or indirectly) what makes you want to come to Oklahoma, and if you could see yourself practicing here long term. A positive response (and genuine response) would hopefully give you an edge over someone just applying for the hell of it, if that makes sense.

Wow. Awesome answer! Thank you :)

Greetings everyone! I assume we are all just waiting around, hoping the IIs start early this year? Question for any of the current OU Med students: Do you or anyone you know live in the campus apartments? If so, mind commenting? Much appreciated!

Greetings everyone! I assume we are all just waiting around, hoping the IIs start early this year? Question for any of the current OU Med students: Do you or anyone you know live in the campus apartments? If so, mind commenting? Much appreciated!

I know someone who lived there last year, then renewed his lease for this year. He says they've been a pretty enjoyable experience.

The walk to class is pretty much the same as the walk from the student parking lot, so you're not missing out there. Plus there's an underground tunnel system nearby to avoid walking in the rain or cold, and you don't have to buy a student parking permit, which is nice.

I've been inside of one (a studio) and it seemed pretty spacious for what you're paying. The only drawback I've heard (as of last year, so maybe things have changed) is that Wifi can be spotty sometimes, so you might want to get an Ethernet cable and plug in your laptop if necessary.

If you think you might be interested, I'd apply by November, just because the waiting list fills up relatively quickly. You can always withdraw your app at any time.

Soon....

I was complete rather late (8/23) and there has been some movement at several of my schools with IIs, Letter requests, and things of the sort. Hoping I don't have to suffer through a long wait for OU! I feel for those of you who were applicants last year. Last year's thread induces neuroticism just by reading it lol!

Anyone know how receptive OU is to major updates? I am considering emailing them about a rather important employment change (got a faculty position at a regional university for the year). Couldn't hurt right?!?

Anyone know how receptive OU is to major updates? I am considering emailing them about a rather important employment change (got a faculty position at a regional university for the year). Couldn't hurt right?!?

Definitely couldn't hurt. Send Dotty an email and she can add it to your file. And congrats!!

The wait is getting painful. I was hoping to have an II from OU before I start deciding which interviews to attend and from which to withdraw lol! I've always heard OU sends II about a month before the interviews begin, so hopefully soon!!
Also, is the OU thread usually like this (dead), or did I get lucky this year and end up as one of only 10 applicants?!
Ok, enough whining. Sorry to keep asking questions of the current students, but I was looking at the curriculum pages for OU recently and was wondering how you guys felt about the basic science curriculum and years 1 and 2 in general. Does OU do a good job during years 1 and 2 preparing you for the beginning of clerkships?

Interview invite! Available days for me are Oct 22,23, or 27

Interview Invite!! Excitement has overwhelmed my studying for now!

Just confirmed my interview for October 22nd (my birthday!!! Yes!). I submitted the secondary on July 5th, primary was verified middle of August. Best wishes everyone, hope to meet some of you at the interview!

II here as well! I was just complete two days ago (due to my premed advisor being as slow as possible and taking literal months to finish my committee letter). IS, 3.7+, 32. I'll be interviewing on the 27th!

Congrats to all those with interviews! A few questions:

Are most of you IS?
Stats?
Also, did you find out via email, or by checking the status page?

Best of luck come late October!

Are most of you IS?
Stats?

Yes, I am an IS applicant, and usually OU sends IS IIs before OS IIs from what I have been told. The email will come at the same time that the status page is updated since it is all on an automated system now, so however you prefer to check, it won't make a difference with regards to time (although compulsively mashing the refresh button on the status page can be punishing lol). My cGPA is 3.85 and sGPA was verified at 3.75 and my MCAT is >30. Hang in there, if you have some sort of ties to the state, you will have a shot! Best wishes!

Are most of you IS?
Stats?

IS, 3.79 and 32, email

Just confirmed my interview for October 22nd (my birthday!!! Yes!). I submitted the secondary on July 5th, primary was verified middle of August. Best wishes everyone, hope to meet some of you at the interview!

My interview is on October 22nd as well

Anyone know of any hotels in the OUHSC area that offer discounts to interviewees? Just covering my bases, trying to save some money for my other trips as well. If not, any suggestions for the best place to stay while at OUHSC? The past few times I have been to OKC, I have stayed near quail springs, but would rather stay closer to the campus for this visit...

Anyone know of any hotels in the OUHSC area that offer discounts to interviewees? Just covering my bases, trying to save some money for my other trips as well. If not, any suggestions for the best place to stay while at OUHSC? The past few times I have been to OKC, I have stayed near quail springs, but would rather stay closer to the campus for this visit...

I don't know of any student discounts for hotels, but you can stay with a med student (usually a third or fourth year) for free, if that's your thing. I did it on a few of my interviews and I thought it was a pretty enjoyable experience. The free thing probably influenced my decision even more, lol.

If you're interested, you can send an email with your interview date and arrival info and whatever to [email protected] and Dotty and some other people can hook you up. If not, no worries! There are plenty of nice hotels in the area with decent rates as well.

interview on 10/23..

Congrats on the interview! I'll be one of the students there to help you guys on your interview day, so I'll see you there!

Yeah, I stayed at a hotel for my interview day, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably just stay with a student fo free. You're welcome to stay with me, but I live in Edmond (near Quail Springs, actually). If you'd like to find someone close to stay with, just shoot me a pm and I can get you in touch with our housing coordinator that arranges these types of things. Good luck!

Congrats on the interview! I'll be one of the students there to help you guys on your interview day, so I'll see you there!

Yeah, I stayed at a hotel for my interview day, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably just stay with a student fo free. You're welcome to stay with me, but I live in Edmond (near Quail Springs, actually). If you'd like to find someone close to stay with, just shoot me a pm and I can get you in touch with our housing coordinator that arranges these types of things. Good luck!

I really appreciate the offer. However, my wife and young son will be with me, so a hotel will probably be best lol. They are going to science museum Oklahoma while I get grilled in the interview :(. I am really looking forward to seeing some of you next week. I hope all goes well, because I feel like this would be a great place to end up!

Unrelated though, how do you like living in the Quail Springs/Edmond area and commuting to OUHSC? Is it pretty efficient travel-wise?

I live in south Edmond, and the commute is really dependent on the time of day. Rush hour traffic can get pretty tiresome if you don't leave early enough in the morning, and coming back can be a bit of a hassle. Overall, if you time your commutes, it's really not that bad, just annoying if you have an extended break or need to drive to campus multiple times a day.