2013-2014 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone applying to Pitt! I'm a rising MS-2, so let me know if you have any questions! :) Hail to Pitt!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone applying to Pitt! I'm a rising MS-2, so let me know if you have any questions! :) Hail to Pitt!

Congrats on finishing yesterday Ismet! Enjoy your summer!

This is going to be one of my "reach" schools....i'm very interested in the program. 3.78 cGPA/3.70 sGPA/32Q MCAT so my stats are a bit below what they want....but I have 3 years of psych research and I hear Pitt has a great psychiatry program as well. Hoping that experience + my LoRs work some magic.

This is going to be one of my "reach" schools....i'm very interested in the program. 3.78 cGPA/3.70 sGPA/32Q MCAT so my stats are a bit below what they want....but I have 3 years of psych research and I hear Pitt has a great psychiatry program as well. Hoping that experience + my LoRs work some magic.

Absolutely. WPIC (Western Psych) is one of the undisputed powerhouses within the field.

Awesome. Well, I hope my stats give me at least enough of a shot to not get screened out. Pitt is one of my top choices, even though it's a reach.

Nice to be on the other end this time. Best wishes to everyone applying. It's a long process.

I had pretty similar stats to you...3.8 GPA/32O MCAT. Pitt is on the reach side for MCAT, but it's absolutely not impossible. Best of luck!!

+1 on the psychiatry. We just finished our psychiatry course yesterday and it was probably my second favorite course after anatomy. The instructors were amazing and we got to interview a patient at WPIC. Psych wasn't really on my radar before that, but now I'm planning to look more into it, especially child/adolescent.

Congrats on finishing yesterday Ismet! Enjoy your summer!

:soexcited: gonna have to figure out what to do with this new-found freedom :smuggrin:

I'll be applying. Good luck to everyone!

How is living in Pittsburgh? A lot of my school choices for applying are now boiling down to if I would be happy there for 4 years or not.

Thanks!

How is living in Pittsburgh? A lot of my school choices for applying are now boiling down to if I would be happy there for 4 years or not.

Thanks!

You're in luck! http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/news-brief/its-official-pittsburgh-most-liveable-city-us

I went to Pitt for undergrad, so I'm starting my 6th year in the city, and I love it. It's too early to be thinking about residency at this point, but I would love to stay and live in Pittsburgh well beyond the next 3 years.

The cost of living is very reasonable for a city. The bus system is extensive (and free for Pitt students) so it's extremely easy to get around. It's a very welcoming and friendly city, and there's always stuff to do!

What is U Pitts looking for in terms of personal qualities?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is U Pitts looking for in terms of personal qualities?

After receiving a personalized post-acceptance letter from them, I took away that they appreciate the usual qualities that top schools tend to seek:

high level of intellectual curiosity
desire for scholarly pursuits
passion for leadership and responsibility
high aptitude for teamwork and collaboration
strong work ethic
being amiable

They are all more or less obvious given the school's mission to create physician leaders both in research and academic medicine.

I am not going to Pitt med, but I did live in the city for more than 15 years. I hope I can add my own perspective of living in Pittsburgh to those already here.

Pittsburgh is an awesome place to live. It has an thriving food scene (go to Cure, my vote for best restaurant in the city), as well as a little bit of everything else. A random person or driver you meet will be pretty damn nice, compared to the bigger cities I've been to.

Primanti's sucks. Go there if you must, most natives hate that place. Make sure you check out the Cathedral of Learning at least once, anyone can just walk in (it's basically Hogwarts).

Don't live in South Oakland unless you like hanging out with college kids who puke on your lawn and blast music until 4 am. North Oakland/Shadyside are better choices but more expensive.

Last edited:
Hey applicants (and classmates :D),

Just checking in to say best of luck; it's a long, stressful process but worth it in the end!

Hi everyone.

I'm applying to Pitt this year because I definitely want to go to a challenging research-oriented school. I'm especially interested in the PSTP. Although I live on the other side of the state, I've been to Pittsburgh a couple dozen times, and I like the city itself.

Overall undergrad GPA: 3.67
MCAT: 34; the last time I considered med school was 2007!
Some experiences: science & math tutor 4+ years, volunteered in free clinic ~250 hrs, summer college instructor for 2 semesters, some hobbies, ~25 hrs shadowing...

I have a Masters in Chemistry, but I sometimes get concerned when I see only 16% of the entering class having advanced degrees. Maybe it's just because I'm old (26).

Last edited:
Pitt's website seems very flexible for letters of recommendations and requires 3 from professors and mentors. Does anyone know if they have a preference for a minimum number of science professors?

applying here as well. looking forward to the secondary, though I'll have to give it some thought, since i covered a lot of stuff - all fifteen places - on my primary, and apparently we can't elaborate.

oos/3.6/35+

Texas resident here. Hoping they will give me some love despite being a resident of this awesome state.

Pitt, please show me some love. That is all
Pennsylvania native. 4.0/30

applying here as well. looking forward to the secondary, though I'll have to give it some thought, since i covered a lot of stuff - all fifteen places - on my primary, and apparently we can't elaborate.

oos/3.6/35+

What's the secondary ..? It's not out yet, correct?

What's the secondary ..? It's not out yet, correct?

Secondaries won't be out until they send them to the first batch of people, so presumably after June 28. The prompts have not changed over the last few years, so check out last year's school-specific thread for the prompts.

Check last years thread for the secondary: I have a suspicion that it'll be the same as the 2011-2012 and 2013-2013 secondary.

oos/3.6/35+

@captain: surely you must have things outside of your 15 experiences that make you unique or hobbies that you enjoy? I filled all 15 slots on the amcas too, but I have a pretty good idea of a few "lively" hobbies of mine that can "enliven" the UPitt community (going to write about gardening and guitar.) I'll go on the record though and say it's annoying we can't elaborate on anything from AMCAS - naturally, we portray ourselves as best as we possibly can there first, exhausting "the good stuff"

nonTrad, OOS, uGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.3, gradGPA 3.85

Check last years thread for the secondary: I have a suspicion that it'll be the same as the 2011-2012 and 2013-2013 secondary.

@captain: surely you must have things outside of your 15 experiences that make you unique or hobbies that you enjoy? I filled all 15 slots on the amcas too, but I have a pretty good idea of a few "lively" hobbies of mine that can "enliven" the UPitt community (going to write about gardening and guitar.) I'll go on the record though and say it's annoying we can't elaborate on anything from AMCAS - naturally, we portray ourselves as best as we possibly can there first, exhausting "the good stuff"

nonTrad, OOS, uGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.3, gradGPA 3.85

i lumped all my random stuff together as one of my 15!

edit. i just remember something i built once that is fairly unique. kind of wish i put it on the primary now :)

Last edited:
Applying here :)

CA resident

A close friend of mine goes to law school here. I really want to get in so I can hang out with him! ...and I like the school ;) !

Great school. I would really, really love to be here. Now to just figure out how to demonstrate that targeted interest..

Great school. I would really, really love to be here. Now to just figure out how to demonstrate that targeted interest..

Take some time to develop thoughtful answers to the secondary prompts. As Ismet suggested, if they haven't sent out this year's secondary yet, take a look as last year's thread since they're likely to use the same prompts. When you interview here, be enthusiastic, engaging in conversation, professional, and make it clear that you actually would like to be here. Ask your interviewers thoughtful questions that can't be answered by a mere 2 minute perusal of the school website.

As an interviewer, it's a real turn-off when the applicant isn't excited to be interviewing here. I had one guy who only smiled once during the entire interview. From his body language, it was obvious that he didn't really care about the school. He wasn't admitted. We're looking for people who have applied to Pitt Med for the right reasons (not just because it's a top 20), people who are genuinely excited to learn more about what it's like to be a student here, and have taken the time to research the school before interview day. There are plenty of resources to learn about this school, including right here. There are a few of us current students who check these threads periodically and are happy to answer questions (pm works too)

:luck: you guys

One of my top choices! If my stats are 3.7 cgpa, 3.6 sgpa, 38 MCAT, is this a reach?

And I'm trying to apply with 3.5 cGPA and sGPA with 39 MCAT. Hope Pitt will show some love to a Pittsburgh kid.

Can I PM any current students about the diversity essay? Prewriting this secondary and need some advice.

Hey everyone, I'm working on a pre-write for Pitt's secondary (using last year's prompt):

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

I'm really stuck on this essay, since they explicitly mention NOT to use anything from our primary. However, the things I want to elaborate on for this essay are obviously included in my AMCAS personal statement and activity descriptions! How do I mention my cultural uniqueness and talents without mentioning ANYTHING from my primary!!!?

I wasn't going to recycle anything.... I wanted to go further in depth on some things and really explain how I would enrich the UPSOM community. Is it OK to mention my experiences from a new angle?

This is really stressing me out :( I tried to include as much as I could on my primary, and I don't feel like I have anything else that is nearly so significant to my application. Help!

Hey everyone, I'm working on a pre-write for Pitt's secondary (using last year's prompt):

I'm really stuck on this essay, since they explicitly mention NOT to use anything from our primary. However, the things I want to elaborate on for this essay are obviously included in my AMCAS personal statement and activity descriptions! How do I mention my cultural uniqueness and talents without mentioning ANYTHING from my primary!!!?

I wasn't going to recycle anything.... I wanted to go further in depth on some things and really explain how I would enrich the UPSOM community. Is it OK to mention my experiences from a new angle?

This is really stressing me out :( I tried to include as much as I could on my primary, and I don't feel like I have anything else that is nearly so significant to my application. Help!

Tell them how you plan to contribute to the community by handing out free samples of tryptamine derivatives.

Tell them how you plan to contribute to the community by handing out free samples of tryptamine derivatives.

I'd be careful with such blatant trolling. I'm tempted to report you

I'm being serious here and you're telling me to write about how I'll distribute drugs? :thumbdown:

I'm being serious here and you're telling me to write about how I'll distribute drugs? :thumbdown:

you get an idea of that posters insensitivity from their username.

You do realize what compound your avatar is right? It was a joke. Chill out.

In any case, tryptamine is not psychoactive. You must be thinking of DMT (N,N-dimethyltryptamine)

Perhaps I will write about my interest in psychopharmacology. Too out-there? :oops:

In any case I wouldn't take that prompt too literally. For example, I talked about how I spent the majority of my childhood in a different country and how these experiences would contribute to the diversity at the UPSOM. Did I mention this in my primary? Technically yes since it asks where my primary childhood residence was and where I went to high school. However, I had no chance to elaborate on the personal impact of the experience. I would recommend you do the same, just elaborate more on what you think makes you diverse and how that could contribute to UPSOM specifically. HOWEVER, I wouldn't repeat anything that is said on your PS or WA section verbatim. So don't worry and try to express yourself without getting stuck on technicalities :)

In any case I wouldn't take that prompt too literally. For example, I talked about how I spent the majority of my childhood in a different country and how these experiences would contribute to the diversity at the UPSOM. Did I mention this in my primary? Technically yes since it asks where my primary childhood residence was and where I went to high school. However, I had no chance to elaborate on the personal impact of the experience. I would recommend you do the same, just elaborate more on what you think makes you diverse and how that could contribute to UPSOM specifically. HOWEVER, I wouldn't repeat anything that is said on your PS or WA section verbatim. So don't worry and try to express yourself without getting stuck on technicalities :)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated :)

Any other opinions? I'm thinking I will answer the prompt more liberally.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated :)

Any other opinions? I'm thinking I will answer the prompt more liberally.

fwiw I'm thinking I'll sidestep the requirement myself. There's a work experience I had about 12 years ago where I said I developed an "engineering mindset," and I allude to a way of thinking in my PS, but I don't really go too in depth about it. I don't know if that's what I'll submit, I'll have to write it out and see where it goes. But no, I'm not going to hold myself to giving them something insignificant just because I'd already mentioned something in passing.

Where is the physical location of the SoM campus relative to the undergrad campus and the city of Pittsburgh?

thanks =)

best of luck to everyone applying!

The SOM campus directly borders the undergraduate campus, so the Oakland neighborhood is a pretty lively area. I recall many people being pleasantly surprised by the nice location on interview day and at second look. It is probably a 10-15 minute bus ride from campus to downtown, which is a pretty convenient trip because all Pitt students get free busing throughout Allegheny County!