2013-2014 University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

wondering how first ever class of 2013 of USCG liked it? anyone? anyone out there? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
applied, waiting on secondaries

It was one of the first secondaries that I received, as well as the longest and most expensive.

I submitted my AMCAS the first day. Once it processed I believe it was July 9th that I received mine.

How expensive was it?

My female surgeon mentor's mentor is the head of the surgery dept here so I feel like I def should apply.

Can someone please post the secondary questions?

+1

From last year applicants, I heard this was one of the longest secondaries. I would love to get a jump on these! I will :love: anyone that posts the prompts.

If you are a re-applicant, what have you done to strengthen your candidacy?

If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?

If you have experienced academic difficulties in college, please briefly explain circumstances regarding any courses with a grade less than a B minus, or any course withdrawals. (This question may be left blank)

Please describe any additional medically related volunteering/shadowing/experience not included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Please describe any additional community service or volunteer activities not included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Please describe any additional research, teamwork, accomplishments or leadership experience not included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome not included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

What traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value to the learning environment at USCSM Greenville?

If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (This question may be left blank)

What other additional information would you like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed? (This question may be left blank)

Please address the following question in a short essay of 500 words or less: One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSM Greenville states that "students will practice patient centered care that values the interdependent roles of health care providers and facilities in service to their patients." Describe your understanding of, and commitment to, patient centered care and how successful implementation of this principle will help address the medical needs of your future patients and the community that you serve.

Describe any past achievements, experiences, special family or personal circumstances that you believe make you a unique student, able to bring diversity to the class?

If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?

If you have experienced academic difficulties in college, please briefly explain circumstances regarding any courses with a grade less than a B minus, or any course withdrawals. (This question may be left blank)

Please describe any additional medically related volunteering/shadowing/experience not included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Please describe any additional community service or volunteer activities not included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Please describe any additional research, teamwork, accomplishments or leadership experience not included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome not included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

What traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value to the learning environment at USCSM Greenville?

If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (This question may be left blank)

What other additional information would you like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed? (This question may be left blank)

Please address the following question in a short essay of 500 words or less: One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSM Greenville states that "students will practice patient centered care that values the interdependent roles of health care providers and facilities in service to their patients." Describe your understanding of, and commitment to, patient centered care and how successful implementation of this principle will help address the medical needs of your future patients and the community that you serve.

Describe any past achievements, experiences, special family or personal circumstances that you believe make you a unique student, able to bring diversity to the class?
Wow that's gonna be a long one. Do you think it will look bad if we leave some of the questions blank? Like the hardships one and additional activities? Also do we HAVE to explain withdrawals? I may have one class I withdrew from but just for the reason that it sucked and I had less than an A in it

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that's gonna be a long one. Do you think it will look bad if we leave some of the questions blank? Like the hardships one and additional activities? Also do we HAVE to explain withdrawals? I may have one class I withdrew from but just for the reason that it sucked and I had less than an A in it

I left the additional activities blank.

Please address the following question in a short essay of 500 words or less: One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSM Greenville states that “students will practice patient centered care that values the interdependent roles of health care providers and facilities in service to their patients.” Describe your understanding of, and commitment to, patient centered care and how successful implementation of this principle will help address the medical needs of your future patients and the community that you serve.

hey you rock :) this one's a doozie. thanks!

Hey AdrianVeidt, what are the character limits on all of those questions?

Everything is 3000 characters except the 500 word essay (which is actually a 7500 character limit)

FYI the Columbia and Greenville Campuses have different secondaries.. I was able to read the Columbia form and it is long as well once I get a hard copy I will definitely post it!

FYI the Columbia and Greenville Campuses have different secondaries.. I was able to read the Columbia form and it is long as well once I get a hard copy I will definitely post it!

Everything between the two will be completely different. They are two unique schools, with two completely different philosophies! The only thing they share is the mother institution of USC.

Columbia's secondary was pretty easy, not nearly as long as Greenville.

Everything between the two will be completely different. They are two unique schools, with two completely different philosophies! The only thing they share is the mother institution of USC.

I understand that, I was speaking in terms of the ease of completing the secondary based on the prompts asked. Luckily I have had the opportunities to speak with faculty and admissions representatives from both campuses and was able to discovery their differences as well as their similarities.

Last edited:
I understand that, I was speaking in terms of the ease of completing the secondary based on the prompts asked. Luckily I have had the opportunities to speak with faculty and admissions representatives from both campuses and was able to discovery their differences as well as their similarities.

Ok great, I misunderstood your original post. You will definitely get the most info once you get to the interviews. Obviously this is going to be true for all schools. Good luck on the secondaries!

Does anyone think that these two questions are asking the same thing? How did you answer them?

"What traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value to the learning environment at USCSM Greenville?"
"Describe any past achievements, experiences, special family or personal circumstances that you believe make you a unique student, able to bring diversity to the class? "

Does anyone think that these two questions are asking the same thing? How did you answer them?

"What traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value to the learning environment at USCSM Greenville?"
"Describe any past achievements, experiences, special family or personal circumstances that you believe make you a unique student, able to bring diversity to the class? "

Preach. I'm working on this right now. I have previously written a longer diversity essay for another school, and am basically just splitting it up into two smaller essays. I'm leaving a couple of questions blank, but when a school asks why you are unique or diverse, I figure you have to jump on it :rolleyes:

Interview Invite received today!! Interview set for 9/24, who else will I be seeing there?

did you guys upload a pic for the secondary? I don't know what picture to post

Does Columbia only do hard-copy secondary?

i think so...hard copy and mail in payment. like the stone age

Interview Invite!! OOS for Regular Decision

Secondary received: 7/9
Secondary complete: 7/23
Check mailed: 7/24
Interview Invite: 9/13

Just got an II from here last Friday for October 22nd. Interestingly I got the invite a few days before they emailed me to tell me that they received my secondary fee!

this thread has been so quiet! has anyone gotten iis or have already gone on the interviews and wanna share their experiences??

this thread has been so quiet! has anyone gotten iis or have already gone on the interviews and wanna share their experiences??

Got an II for November 18th.

Just interviewed here yesterday and the facility is AMAZING. You can tell that it is a brand new school. It is very high tech! Everyone was very welcoming and nice. They are very good with time and they stay on schedule really well. In the parking lot, they have marquees with your name and the word "welcome" scrolling across. It's pretty cool! lol I didn't initially have the school as a top choice but I fell in love with it after my interview experience. They only have first year and second year students so far so you can't really get a perspective of what the clerkships will be like but from the information that the deans and other faculty gave us I think that it will be an amazing experience.

I interviewed late last month and I have to say that my experience was amazing! The facilities were very new and the whole staff seemed incredibly nice. My advice to anyone applying is to stress the importance of patient centered care and co-dependence (teamwork) in medicine with other healthcare providers ( RNs. PAs, ect.) because that's what Greenville as a program encourages throughout your training. Be ready for some ethical questions about patients (ex. "your pt. a 14 y/o girl wants birth control what do you do?" or "would you ever break pt. confidentiality, if so why?"). Greenville is a new program but it looks very promising. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hear anything yet? They said they would be making calls this week. Very excited about this program!

"Continue to evaluate" email just now. Man, I felt really good about this one.

Sorry I'm late but I received the call this morning! I got accepted!! I received the official email from Dr. Catalana a few hours after. A packet is suppose to be coming in the mail in a few days. I absolutely fell in love with this school after my interview so I am beyond excited!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone OOS without any ties or from a nearby state get an interview? After researching the school I'd really love to attend here, but I'm a west-coaster without any SC connections.

Anyone OOS without any ties or from a nearby state get an interview? After researching the school I'd really love to attend here, but I'm a west-coaster without any SC connections.

I'm not sure how many OOS they actually invite. My wife's family lives in Greenville and my parents live just outside of Greenville, so I applied there even though I am OOS. I was complete in July 29, I think. Have received ii's from Mayo, Dartmouth, BU, UMass, Stony Brook but not Greenville, so I am beginning to wonder the same and am skeptical at this point with the other interviews. That being said, they could just be taking their time to get through all the applications....:confused:

Since the school is not state-funded they typically accept around 25% OOS. Not sure on the number of OOS students interviewed though.

Congrats to those accepted and anyone receiving II's!

Any word on ii's? Hoping to hear something within the next week

Any word on ii's? Hoping to hear something within the next week

I guess nobody has heard anything?? I'd really like to check this place out. Just waiting on an ii...

Hey! I know I'm pretty late in responding....but I'm from Maryland and got an interview invite from them...I interviewed October 14th and got accepted October 16th. I did go to college in SC though. However, while I was there my interviewer told me that they are open to anyone from any state.

Last edited:
Any of you accepted or II recipients mind sharing your stats?