2013-2014 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received a rejection yet? I feel left out of the whole status change thing :/

+1 I knew someone last year who just didn't hear anything until January when they got a rejection email.

Members don't see this ad.

The reason for the few interview invites is that our administration building is under major renovation. The first interview dates are in mid September, which coincides with the expected completion date.

Speaking for myself only (I am an MS II that will be interviewing this year), I want to see that students know about our 2 major hospitals (Keck & LAC). Applicants especially excited to train in the county hospital setting impress me.

Last edited:
The reason for the few interview invites is because our administration building is under major renovation. The first interview dates are in mid September, which coincides with the expected completion date.

Speaking for myself only (I am an MS II that will be interviewing this year), I want to see that students know about our 2 major hospitals (Keck & LAC). Applicants especially excited to train in the county hospital setting impress me.

So the interview invites should start picking up soon? Love USC and seriously hoping to interview there.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason for the few interview invites is because our administration building is under major renovation. The first interview dates are in mid September, which coincides with the expected completion date.

@MalibuPreMD, do you know how the admissions at Keck evaluate reapplicants? Do they usually take longer time to evaluate them? I submitted my secondary mid July. And there are a lot of people who completed after me getting II's. should I be concerned or lose hope?

I really want to go to Keck!!

I am thinking about writing an in the area email here. I will be in the LA area a month from now (not for another interview), so I figure they would need that much advance notice.

Has anyone tried an in the area email here and what have the results been?

Interview Invite!
However I have to choose between two days in the middle of October.
When are the rest of you guys interviewing? This sounds like a long time from now.

Interview Invite!
However I have to choose between two days in the middle of October.
When are the rest of you guys interviewing? This sounds like a long time from now.

Yep those are the only dates available to me too. Trying to decide which to do

Yep those are the only dates available to me too. Trying to decide which to do

Yea it just seemed late because they start accepting on Oct. 15th.
I signed up for 10/16. Maybe I'll see you there. Good luck.:luck:

Yea it just seemed late because they start accepting on Oct. 15th.
I signed up for 10/16. Maybe I'll see you there. Good luck.:luck:

Ah shucks! Scheduled for 10/18! Congrats though. Enjoy Keck!

Got my interview invite today! My first one so I couldn't be happier. Pretty quick response...submitted on the 8th

Got my interview invite today! My first one so I couldn't be happier. Pretty quick response...submitted on the 8th

Congrats! Wow, that was actually REALLY quick, considering two of those days in between were on the weekend. Your application must have really gelled with them.

seems like mostly IS so far? Hoping for some OOS love here

Members don't see this ad :)
My application is marked as complete - even the letter section - but I recently found out that one of my letters doesn't have a signature/letterhead. Does this mean USC is fine with it or should I (can I even) send in a replacement letter?

My application is marked as complete - even the letter section - but I recently found out that one of my letters doesn't have a signature/letterhead. Does this mean USC is fine with it or should I (can I even) send in a replacement letter?

I am guessing its probably fine. One of my letters didn't have a letterhead either and it didn't seem to be a problem!

I'm not sure how replacement letters work, but it might be prudent to inquire elsewhere to discern if it'd be worth sending a replacement letter to other schools who require letterhead. I'd do this sooner rather than later.; you don't want something like this being a bottleneck.

-

Last edited:
I'm not sure how replacement letters work, but it might be prudent to inquire elsewhere to discern if it'd be worth sending a replacement letter to other schools who require letterhead. I'd do this sooner rather than later.; you don't want something like this being a bottleneck.

I've just decided to send all of my letters to all the schools since it's less than most of their maximum. Hopefully that way if one isn't counted I'll still be completed. It doesn't seem like it was a problem for USC though at least yay!

Interview Invite!
Complete: 07/11

Do any current students have any tips for the interview?

Be able to have a conversation. The USC interview was the most conversational interview I had last year and it was so much fun. I talked about so many random/non-medical things with my interviewer and the 1 hour flew by. Its ok to have some general idea of what you are going to say for the common questions, but if you're able to talk to people and not be awkward, you will be fine.

I also heard that this year's class (2017) has the highest gpa/mcat score in the school's history, so it seems like USC is getting harder to get into, at least numbers-wise.

Be able to have a conversation. The USC interview was the most conversational interview I had last year and it was so much fun. I talked about so many random/non-medical things with my interviewer and the 1 hour flew by. Its ok to have some general idea of what you are going to say for the common questions, but if you're able to talk to people and not be awkward, you will be fine.

I also heard that this year's class (2017) has the highest gpa/mcat score in the school's history, so it seems like USC is getting harder to get into, at least numbers-wise.

I think GPAs go up every year because of grade inflation as far as MCAT score being higher. Perhaps they gave out a few full rides to the really high scores. USC has a HUGE class so therefore you except the scores to be a bit lower.

Complete 8/11 and II on 8/12. Super stoked!

Wow! That is incredible.

Can I ask what your stats were? I'm going on a month and beginning to feel a bit deflated.

Thanks,
Bill R.

My numbers are roughly the same as last year's average matriculant. I'm a pretty non-traditional applicant. Two years out of undergrad, extensive medical research, clinical experience, and working with underserved communities. Keep your hopes up!

Thanks! Good luck at your interview! Sounds like you'll have a ton of interesting things to talk about!

-Bill

Rejected!

Just got an email from them saying they will not interview me. Fine with me, this would have been really expensive being OOS.

Good luck to the rest of y'all!

My first rejection of the season, what made it worse was I got it the same time I found out that one of my classes at my university is being canceled so that gave it an extra sting. Ohh well just have to keep my head up and hope for the best, just to make sure USC does not prescreen before sending secondary right? Im thinking my mcat cut me out.

Interview Invite today! Really excited about this one! OOS

Rejected today as well. Good luck to everyone else! :luck:

Man, USC is in my top 3 choices, but I have heard nothing from them since being complete on 7/10. Hope I get some good news soon.

I was complete end of July!

Ah ok. So it seems like they're not going in order since last week someone got an II from 8/7. Ugh I want an interview here so badly every time I get an email notification my heart drops a little :(

Ah ok. So it seems like they're not going in order since last week someone got an II from 8/7. Ugh I want an interview here so badly every time I get an email notification my heart drops a little :(

+1... Every time my phone buzzes with an email my heart skips a beat! Lol

Interview Invite today! Submitted secondary...yesterday, lol. What is this madness. THANK YOU USC. I LOVE YOU.

But it seems like there's only one random date available for interviews on a Wednesday in October...

Interview Invite today! Submitted secondary...yesterday, lol. What is this madness. THANK YOU USC. I LOVE YOU.

But it seems like there's only one random date available for interviews on a Wednesday in October...
Congrats! What are your stats?

Applicant here this round.

Primary complete 7/2, verified 8/15, received secondary on 8/15 and just submitted it today 8/20.

Fingers crossed. I'm a reapplicant...

So for the nickname question, I've had a pretty legit nickname throughout college, but it's related to partying/drinking. Would it be OK to use that name or should I come up with something else?

Also, for the most fun in the past year, is the 1 year thing a hard deadline? I went on a study abroad program last July, so that's 13 months ago (technically more than a year ago). Would it be OK to write about that?

I wouldn't risk sounding unprofessional with your nickname but I think writing about last summer is fine.