2013-2014 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it's time to get this one going. Re-app from last cycle. I received secondary in November, interviewed in March, and then waitlisted. Here I am again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying as an OOS. Anyone know how the acceptances are for that?

I'm applying as an OOS. Anyone know how the acceptances are for that?

Very few acceptances for very expensive OOS tuition - $61,000+. I would love to apply here, but I am from Florida, and they only look at OOS students from state directly bordering TN. :(

Just got my MCAT score back today...did well in BS and VS, too low in PS. I'm planning for a August retake. I'm IS and was planning to go ahead and apply. Does anyone know if UT waits for the retake to evaluate or evaluates with just one score in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, quick question: does anyone know if UT sends secondaries to everyone or do they do some sort of initial screening? Also can anyone take a stab at my chances? I'm applying in-state 3.88 GPA 30 MCAT

Hey guys, quick question: does anyone know if UT sends secondaries to everyone or do they do some sort of initial screening? Also can anyone take a stab at my chances? I'm applying in-state 3.88 GPA 30 MCAT

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. I have a friend starting there this fall, IS 3.7 GPA 28 MCAT, wasn't complete until like september last year.

But I'm almost right there with you, 3.87 GPA, 29 MCAT, in-state

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. I have a friend starting there this fall, IS 3.7 GPA 28 MCAT, wasn't complete until like september last year.

But I'm almost right there with you, 3.87 GPA, 29 MCAT, in-state

Thanks, I hope you're right. I wish you well too!

Has anyone received a secondary today?

^ Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna say that they'll send them out this Friday.

Just got the secondary in the email! About time.

I'm confused on the secondary because it come as a PDF. It says to send back in an email and they say no files in PDF will be accepted. If I copy and paste, the formatting will be all screwed. Anyone with prior knowledge know anything about this? Also wow, they want it back in 5 days.

Edit: Well I guess they noticed and are going to fix the issue.

Last edited:
I'm confused on the secondary because it come as a PDF. It says to send back in an email and they say no files in PDF will be accepted. If I copy and paste, the formatting will be all screwed. Anyone with prior knowledge know anything about this? Also wow, they want it back in 5 days.

Edit: Well I guess they noticed and are going to fix the issue.

I'm glad they addressed the issue. But where did you see no PDF files? I was originally just opening it up with adobe and using the text box to insert the info, then save it as a new pdf and email it back. But I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: I now see where they say it in the other form...

Last edited:
No essays and no fee? This is my kinda secondary.

I'm glad they addressed the issue. But where did you see no PDF files? I was originally just opening it up with adobe and using the text box to insert the info, then save it as a new pdf and email it back. But I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: I now see where they say it in the other form...

Yup, in the cover letter it says no PDF..definitely confused but will worry about it tomorrow unless anyone has prior experiences with it.

btw.. Vols '13..heck yeah!

So I'm a little confused here. Will another secondary be going out tomorrow even though I got an email saying "UTHSC Secondary Form w/Revisions"? or is the attachment of the "with revisions" email the final one?

So I'm a little confused here. Will another secondary be going out tomorrow even though I got an email saying "UTHSC Secondary Form w/Revisions"? or is the attachment of the "with revisions" email the final one?

I'm wondering the same thing. The only difference I saw between the secondaries was the extension of the lines to fill in. I tried to copy and paste the PDF in to Word..looked like trash though.

Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but since I have Adobe Acrobat Professional, I could use the typewriter function to fill out the form and then convert it to .jpg. So, I sent in the email with .jpg versions of the secondary filled out, along with the photograph. Hopefully, they'll accept it in .jpg since they only explicitly said no .pdf. Also, I used a Mac, not a PC.

Last edited:
I don't happen to have any PC's on hand, so I had to use a Mac instead. I managed to convert it to a .docx in a roundabout sort of way, but it was a real headache. At least there's no essays/fees with this one.

Anyway, does every in state applicant get a secondary? Or are they very selective?

The attachment from today's email cleared up any confusion. Ready to submit. Just need to adjust my photo to a wallet-size and mail off the signature page.

Let's rock-and-roll, folks. Or, should I say blues?

btw.. Vols '13..heck yeah!

Yeah I'm pissed that I'll be missing out on the Butch Jones era. Dooley was a total ****-up.

Atleast we had Kiffin our freshmen year... by far the best/funnest season the 4 years we were there.

^ You could still catch a game while doing a rotation or two in Knoxville as a third/fourth year.

^ You could still catch a game while doing a rotation or two in Knoxville as a third/fourth year.

It'd be awesome to have the option of doing the first year in Memphis and finishing out in Knoxville. Some of their pharm students do this

Im jealous of you all.. I'm still waiting to be verified

Me neither. So on the photo of us as the professionals that we are, I assume that means a shirt and tie? I have a hospital work ID badge but am in a track jacket and tshirt : (

It means look presentable in your picture.

I know. The reason I mentioned that is because the term 'professional' is, like 'presentable', an arbitrary term when it comes to dress.

"Secondary Complete" email received today. Judging by last year's thread, the first interview invites go out in late September to early October. So now we wait again.

Received complete email, as well. Woohoo!

No worries, cBlock. I'm sure you'll get one soon.

It'd be awesome to have the option of doing the first year in Memphis and finishing out in Knoxville. Some of their pharm students do this

Gotta do the first 2 years in Memphis! Then, you can do your rotations in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, or Jackson, or even away rotations at other med schools.

Also, if you have any questions about anything, e-mail Diane Harris. She's probably the sweetest person in the world. She and Nelson Strother will help you in ANY way you can. If you have any concerns, just ask (like taking the MCAT again, just let them know about it and they'll put a note in your file to hold your application until the new scores are in)

It's also going to take FOREVER to get an interview...unless you submitted your application the first day you could, unfortunately, it will take a while. And, if it's anything like last year, they will let you know about a week before (or in my case, 5 days) you are scheduled to interview.

Hey folks!

Sorry I haven't really been checking this, but I'll try to come back periodically :). I'm an M1 this year at UTHSC. I went through the application process in 2011, was accepted before Thanksgiving (and some people were accepted before then! fast turnaround for some), and then deferred my acceptance for one year.

UT is slow to start sending secondaries because the Admissions office throws together a very intense orientation week for M1 students. This year it was from Aug 12, so August 19th was their first day in the office working on admissions things for incoming students, which helps explain their delay. I know this might not help your frustrations, but at least you can know why :p.

Secondaries will continue to trickle out over the next several months, depending on when you applied and how competitive your application is. There does indeed seem to be screening involved in sending secondaries, but it's not a computer throwing out low GPAs/low MCATs. They decide who they'd like to interview based on your primary (obviously, since the secondary has no additional essays). It seems to me as though usually, a person who receives a secondary will *most likely* receive an interview, sooner or later.

I'm trying to remember other questions I had at this point in the process and turning up a blank. If you have questions, feel free to post and I'll answer them. I've only had 3 weeks of class (first exam on Monday!! uhhh just doing some early morning procrastination on here, ha), but I really love UT for a variety of reasons (faculty, classmates, Memphis, just to name a few) and am happy to help out incoming students.

Welp, off to study/anatomy lab/volunteering at Clinica Esperanza! Seriously, it's a great life - congrats to you all for making it to this point and applying to medical school! Best of luck! :luck:

Toodle-oo!
Stewabeet

...a person who receives a secondary will *most likely* receive an interview, sooner or later.

Really? That's actually pretty encouraging. I've heard some great things about UT. I talked to some residents that went to med school there and they loved it, especially the M3/M4 years. I just have a couple questions:

1) Did you have to make a decision between UT and Quillen? If so, what made you choose UT?

2) I keep hearing about the suture team volunteering that med students do at UT. What are some other programs that med students get involved with?

Hey FormerPhysicist!

It may be a while before the invite comes - particularly if you receive the secondary a bit later in UT's season - but I think it's an extremely positive sign and not an automatic process like at some schools. If you look back over last year's SDN thread and the one before that, you'll find that many people with a secondary who were waiting for interviews got them....eventually. And I certainly know people in my class who got in who were interviewed towards the end of UT's interview season. But I'd hate to supply a lot of people with false hope, so maybe I should backpedal and say that I have not discussed this with our dean of admissions and don't know how it all works behind the scenes.

1) I did not have the opportunity to pick between Quillen and UT! In fact, Quillen did not want to touch me with a 10 foot pole. Didn't interview or anything.

2) I'm pretty pleased with UT's organizations. I'm not family with the suture tech program because I'm not interested in that, I just know that it exists and have walked by a sign up form for it. UT's main vehicles for community service seem to be La Clinica Esperanza and Student National Medical Association.

la Clinica Esperanza is a free clinic run entirely by med students for Memphis's Spanish-speaking population, and is open just about every Saturday. People who do not speak Spanish are welcome to come volunteer, and it's also a great place to practice rusty Spanish.

SNMA makes annual trips to the national conference, which I think is in DC, but I could be wrong. They participate in ~monthly health fairs. At the one I've been to, we took blood pressure and counseled patients on blood pressure management if the were prehypertensive or hypertensive, and followed up with the hypertensive patients to see if they decided to visit a doctor and encourage them to do so.

Every class year has class officers (think pres, VP, treasurer, etc - people who get things done specifically for the class they are in), which is separate from representatives sent to the school's student government, but I would assume that's pretty similar to most schools. We have a wide variety of interest groups in specialties, and new groups can be started with relative ease if your interest is not represented.

We have a few random groups, eg one for Women in Medicine and Science, one to facilitate research. There also intramural sports and a great gym, which is *right next* to school and includes a lap pool, climbing wall, foosball, pool, and pingpong tables, and a racquet ball court.

Does that answer your questions?

It does, thank you! It's good to know there's a variety of organizations to get involved in right away.

I'm excited about this cycle. Woohoo!

Last edited: