2013-2014 University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) - Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this looks like a great school! hope I can interview here!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my top schools as well, although I hear they really prefer people with high GPAs (3.85+)
:(

Did anyone else get an e-mail?
Thank you for applying to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. We have received your application and it is currently being reviewed by our Admissions Committee. To check on the status of your application please continue to check the TMDSAS website for completeness.

Good to see things are moving pretty quickly. Maybe we will get to see comments about interview invites in early July. :) Good luck to those applying!

Good to see things are moving pretty quickly. Maybe we will get to see comments about interview invites in early July. :) Good luck to those applying!
I also received this email. OOS. My TMDSAS was transmitted to schools on June 5th.

I also received this email. OOS. My TMDSAS was transmitted to schools on June 5th.

+1

They send out their notifications on 6/19 every year.. judging from last 2 year's threads.

I didn't get this email yet. My app was transmitted to schools on 6/6. But my MCAT score isn't in yet, and one of my transcripts hasn't posted. Perhaps that's the hold up. No worries. Lots of time to wait.

Finally got the email! I think my GPA is a bit low for UTMB but I'm hoping they like my ECs enough to give me an interview :)

App was transmitted to UTMB on 18-Jun, I'm guessing I should give it another week or so for the email to come through?

Do you guys think they will send out invites starting this week? I got their email on the 19th. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was transmitted last week but I still haven't received an email from UTMB...how long did it take for you guys?

Hey yall, UTMB is next to send out first round of II after TCOM. The date was 7/02 last year, which would mean some of us will hear from them next week. I think El Paso is a couple days after UTMB. Anyway...good luck!!!

To misschiveous- I submitted my primary on 5/22

@SCX1

I got a TCOM interview today. So UTMB is next, then El Paso... Do you know the order beyond those two?

Thanks

@SCX1

I got a TCOM interview today. So UTMB is next, then El Paso... Do you know the order beyond those two?

Thanks

Congrats! Are you going on 7/30? That is when I have mine.

I think San Antonio, Lubbock, and Texas A&M are next in July (I forgot the order but they aren't too far apart). UTH, Southwester, and Baylor are in August.

Congrats to you too! And no I had class that day. Seems like they do them throughout the week.

I think they are the only school that places so much emphasis on GPA versus the MCAT.

cGPA or sGPA? I feel like I'm fighting a slightly uphill battle with a 29 MCAT but I'm hoping my GPA makes up for it some (3.75c, 4.0s).

cGPA or sGPA? I feel like I'm fighting a slightly uphill battle with a 29 MCAT but I'm hoping my GPA makes up for it some (3.75c, 4.0s).

I also had a 29 MCAT and I'll be matriculating at UTMB this year :) I had a 4.0 GPA (cumulative and science).

I had a 27 MCAT and 3.84c and 3.77s and I too will be matriculating here come August. :) You definitely have a shot here!

Thanks for the reply you two! More motivation to hurry and finish my app.

good luck gandalf!

you too bud! Im already shopping around for interview attire and such! Gotta put the best foot forward, even if I get one interview.

I'm sure Ill be seeing a lot of the people in the Republic of Texas thread this year at the schools.

Are you still pending at A&M?

you too bud! Im already shopping around for interview attire and such! Gotta put the best foot forward, even if I get one interview.

I'm sure Ill be seeing a lot of the people in the Republic of Texas thread this year at the schools.

Are you still pending at A&M?

thanks gandalf. hopefully I'll meet some of you during this process. yeah I'm still pending at A&M..

I'm getting so anxious!! I'm glad that some of the AMCAS secondaries are out now so that I can stay distracted haha.

Any chances at all for an IS uGPA 3.65, sGPA:3.59 and 21 MCAT nonURM? I have really good letters and 2 research publications with decent amount of clinical volunteering. I retaking my MCAT July 2 so hopefully I can bump it up. I'm hoping, however, that I might have some luck with what I have now? I already submitted and was transmitted at 5/29.

Any chances at all for an IS uGPA 3.65, sGPA:3.59 and 21 MCAT nonURM? I have really good letters and 2 research publications with decent amount of clinical volunteering. I retaking my MCAT July 2 so hopefully I can bump it up. I'm hoping, however, that I might have some luck with what I have now? I already submitted and was transmitted at 5/29.

I can probably say with 95% confidence that you will be screened out of every school, even TCOM with that MCAT.

Not trying to put you down, just telling you the truth. There are people who have 4.0s with 24-26s that get rejected.

Yeah, I figured. I've been averaging a 24 on my AAMCS so I'm not optimistic about getting a 30 by July 2. The thing is I already applied and everything so I might as well see what can happen. What is the minimum MCAT range that would at least give me SOME sort of a shot with my current GPA?

Do you have MSAR online? They give you a range of gpa and mcat accepted in every school. According to the most recent report, the lowest mcat score is a 23 and that's for Meharry and University of Mississippi.

Yeah, I figured. I've been averaging a 24 on my AAMCS so I'm not optimistic about getting a 30 by July 2. The thing is I already applied and everything so I might as well see what can happen. What is the minimum MCAT range that would at least give me SOME sort of a shot with my current GPA?

Do you speak fluent Spanish? If so, the Puerto Rico schools are in your range.

Finally got a verification email...

3 weeks after I submitted. This whole process sucks

Ditto, had them on my list to call today if I didn't hear anything. Of course I was hoping for a Foster II since I saw those going out, but this will do.

Just received an interview :) They gave me two dates to choose from - I will be going on 8/9/13

Just got an II by email!

Just received an interview :) They gave me two dates to choose from - I will be going on 8/9/13

Just got an II by email!

Congrats fellas!

When did you guys receive the email confirmation from UTMB? I received mine this week so I'm trying figure out the minimum amount of time it takes them to review your app