2013-2014 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:

1. If you think that one or more of the following interests apply to you, check the appropriate box(es) and list specific experiences (academic, co-curricular, employment, personal, etc.) related to and supportive of this interest in the text box provided below. Do not use a paragraph format; list in bulleted format.

Interested in establishing a medical practice in an underserved area
Interested in a career in research
Interested in a career in teaching
Interested in a career in primary care medicine
(This text box will scroll and allow for numerous lines. Please limit your text to 3500 characters. However, be as concise as possible and remember to list your experiences.)

2. In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

(This text box will scroll and allow for numerous lines. Please limit your text to 3500 characters. However, be as concise as possible and remember to list your experiences.)

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just a soon-to-be MS2 dropping by to wish everyone good luck in the upcoming cycle.

If you have any questions about the the application process, UTSW, or the NBA playoffs, feel free to PM me or post here (there are a few other UTSW students lurking around, if I recall).

Current/potential applicants might find this website useful in terms of learning more about the school:
http://www.southwesternstudents.com/unofficialguide/Main_Page

We're in the process of updating some of the pages, but it's a nice starting point to work with!

Another almost-MS2 checking in - I'm happy to answer any questions about UTSW!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for you two students if you don't mind answering.
Some schools in Texas 'say' they give preference to applicants from that geographic region of Texas. Is SW like this? I'm assuming because of the competitive nature it isn't but I would love to be wrong.
Thanks!

Does UTSW accept students with lower GPAs and moderate MCAT scores?

Im trying to chance myself here
3.43 uGPA
3.3 sGPA

3.87 SMP GPA UNTHSC
35 MCAT

this is one of my 3 reach schools.

Question for you two students if you don't mind answering.
Some schools in Texas 'say' they give preference to applicants from that geographic region of Texas. Is SW like this? I'm assuming because of the competitive nature it isn't but I would love to be wrong.
Thanks!

As far as I know, the only geographic bias that UTSW has is "Texas" vs. "non-Texas." Outside of that, it really doesn't matter what region of Texas you're from (my classmates come from all over the state).

3.43 uGPA
3.3 sGPA

3.87 SMP GPA UNTHSC
35 MCAT

I know of a few classmates who were in similar situations. The low GPA / high MCAT combo is always a toss-up. I don't know how UTSW views SMPs, so I can't comment on that.

Just a soon-to-be MS2 dropping by to wish everyone good luck in the upcoming cycle.

If you have any questions about the the application process, UTSW, or the NBA playoffs, feel free to PM me or post here (there are a few other UTSW students lurking around, if I recall).

Current/potential applicants might find this website useful in terms of learning more about the school:
http://www.southwesternstudents.com/unofficialguide/Main_Page

We're in the process of updating some of the pages, but it's a nice starting point to work with!

what's your favorite thing about utsw?

3.43 uGPA
3.3 sGPA

3.87 SMP GPA UNTHSC
35 MCAT

Gandalf, I've seen you posting around the Baylor and UTSW threads and would like to hopefully at least partially give you some peace of mind :laugh:

I applied last cycle (will be an incoming MS1) with a 3.43 and 33Q. I interviewed at Baylor (waitlisted) and UTSW (accepted with scholarship). Of course this is not a guarantee, but anything is possible :thumbup:

Gandalf, I've seen you posting around the Baylor and UTSW threads and would like to hopefully at least partially give you some peace of mind :laugh:

I applied last cycle (will be an incoming MS1) with a 3.43 and 33Q. I interviewed at Baylor (waitlisted) and UTSW (accepted with scholarship). Of course this is not a guarantee, but anything is possible :thumbup:

this does help. can you PM me the specifics such as your sGPA, URM status, if you knew others with similar stats? Also congrats on getting into UTSW!

what's your favorite thing about utsw?

My classmates!

More objectively, it's been really nice that UTSW doesn't have too many required events/classes/PBL things. Outside of small group sessions once a week (1.5 hours on Wednesday) and test days, I basically set my own schedule. I decide when I want to go in to do labs, when I want to stream lectures, and when I want to goof off. The only exception to this was anatomy lab (since you're working with a group), but even then, many lab groups managed to arrange things so that they would end up taking the Thursday/Friday off (usually by finishing multiple labs in one sitting). That being said, there's still a sizable contingent of students who still attend class, so obviously there's a lot of flexibility in how you choose to approach studying.

I'm pretty psyched about the opportunity to work at both the new Parkland and the new University Hospital (don't know how our year managed to snag first dibs on both), but that's still quite a ways off.

My classmates!

More objectively, it's been really nice that UTSW doesn't have too many required events/classes/PBL things. Outside of small group sessions once a week (1.5 hours on Wednesday) and test days, I basically set my own schedule. I decide when I want to go in to do labs, when I want to stream lectures, and when I want to goof off. The only exception to this was anatomy lab (since you're working with a group), but even then, many lab groups managed to arrange things so that they would end up taking the Thursday/Friday off (usually by finishing multiple labs in one sitting). That being said, there's still a sizable contingent of students who still attend class, so obviously there's a lot of flexibility in how you choose to approach studying.

I'm pretty psyched about the opportunity to work at both the new Parkland and the new University Hospital (don't know how our year managed to snag first dibs on both), but that's still quite a ways off.

sounds amazing! I hope I have a shot here!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8/31mcat..decent ecs I think..
:thumbup:

I shouldve paid attention in college lol..

I hope they do take that 3.87 SMP I got into account. :D

Im hope that would make me a competitive applicant.

Im just happy that I now have a chance here and a small but possible one at BCM.

Hi! Question about the secondary...

Section IV reads, "In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

"

The parenthetical is also written under Section III. The instructions for section III are to list specific experiences that support my interests in medicine. So I'm not sure why the parenthetical appears again in Section IV. Is Section IV supposed to be a list as well? Or an essay with paragraphs?

Thanks, All.

I was wondering the same thing.

On the previous question, I had only one relevant experience. Does that mean I should put one bullet, and then just a massive blob of text explaining and supporting this? Or do they give you 3500 characters because some people have that many experiences to list in bullet format?

Hi! Question about the secondary...

Section IV reads, "In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

"

The parenthetical is also written under Section III. The instructions for section III are to list specific experiences that support my interests in medicine. So I'm not sure why the parenthetical appears again in Section IV. Is Section IV supposed to be a list as well? Or an essay with paragraphs?

Thanks, All.

I was wondering the same thing.

On the previous question, I had only one relevant experience. Does that mean I should put one bullet, and then just a massive blob of text explaining and supporting this? Or do they give you 3500 characters because some people have that many experiences to list in bullet format?

From what I understand, I think Section III strictly wants a bulleted list. The directions emphasize not using a paragraph format and also being concise. Maybe some people have 3500 characters-worth of related experience...I certainly don't. I'm just listing a couple of bullets.

Section IV sounds like it's supposed to be in paragraph form. Is that what you plan on doing? :confused:

For section III, how did you interpret concise? Like a couple of sentences after each bullet? Or literally just the name of the experience?

As to section IV, I think that it should be in paragraph form. I mean the instructions say to use a list format for that too, and while it doesn't seem like they would make a mistake on the secondary application, I really can't see how you could answer this question as a list of experiences.

From what I understand, I think Section III strictly wants a bulleted list. The directions emphasize not using a paragraph format and also being concise. Maybe some people have 3500 characters-worth of related experience...I certainly don't. I'm just listing a couple of bullets.

Section IV sounds like it's supposed to be in paragraph form. Is that what you plan on doing? :confused:

Each bullet was a sentence or two in my case - just to describe the experience. For example, I would state the name and field of a doctor I shadowed and what I did there. Kind of like the TMDSAS extracurricular section but MUCH shorter.

For section III, how did you interpret concise? Like a couple of sentences after each bullet? Or literally just the name of the experience?

As to section IV, I think that it should be in paragraph form. I mean the instructions say to use a list format for that too, and while it doesn't seem like they would make a mistake on the secondary application, I really can't see how you could answer this question as a list of experiences.

I just listed it in bulleted form (ex below)

-internship 1040 hours
- worked on phase III clinical trials and assisted research staff on various tasks.
- completed a clinical study and published the results as a first author.
-next EC

Damn...I only have two activities that support my interests haha

So excited to finally apply to this school! I have literally wanted to go here since middle school.

My stats are a little low, so Southwestern (along with Baylor) is definitely one of my reach schools.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Cool, I just got an email from the school.

Your application to the medical school entering class of 2014 was received from the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service. Thank you for your interest in UT Southwestern Medical School.

The application review process has begun. It is difficult to anticipate when you might hear from us regarding the status of your application. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you via email at the same email address to which this message was sent. Any changes to your email address should be forwarded to TMDSAS and UT Southwestern as soon as possible.

You should periodically check the TMDSAS website for information regarding the completion status of your application (such as receipt of transcripts, letters of recommendation, MCAT score, etc.).

Sincerely,

Admissions Office UT Southwestern Medical School [email protected] 214-648-5617 / 214-648-3289 (fax)

Happy to hear from them but might gpa (dunno mcat score) is a little lower than their average, but I have interesting ECs so we shall see. It's easy to say they are my reach school. Did anyone else get the email? Good luck to all applying :D

Nope, I just got San Antonio's though. Wow nice job submitting so early. I thought I was early with 5/13!

Thanks. I'm a nontraditional and I have been out of school for a while. So in addition to studying for the mcat, I had everything else typed out and ready. And I also pestered LOR writers months in advance to have them ready for me. I also took the day off work to get it down without worrying about it. I knew I had weeks to still be considered early, I was just ready to turn that bad boy in. Congrats on getting yours turned in early as well :)

Cool, I just got an email from the school.

Happy to hear from them but might gpa (dunno mcat score) is a little lower than their average, but I have interesting ECs so we shall see. It's easy to say they are my reach school. Did anyone else get the email? Good luck to all applying :D

Nope, I just got San Antonio's though. Wow nice job submitting so early. I thought I was early with 5/13!

I received one from both!

interesting that UTHSCA starts interviewing in August compared to July for the other schools.

interesting that UTHSCA starts interviewing in August compared to July for the other schools.

I didn't get the UT Southwestern one.

It doesn't mean anything, but i started freaking out a little bit. Now I see how easily paranoia and neuroticism can creep into this process.

It doesn't mean anything, but i started freaking out a little bit. Now I see how easily paranoia and neuroticism can creep into this process.

Took the words out of my mouth

I never said it did.

Im sure they simply send it out based on the order of receiving your apps from TMDSAS.
My apps were transmitted 5/3/13 which is most likely why i got it before others.

I never said it did.

Im sure they simply send it out based on the order of receiving your apps from TMDSAS.
My apps were transmitted 5/3/13 which is most likely why i got it before others.

I wasn't trying to tell you it didn't mean anything. That was for me! (so I could stop being paranoid.) :laugh:

I wasn't trying to tell you it didn't mean anything. That was for me! (so I could stop being paranoid.) :laugh:

we will be fine.

You should see the paranoia in the AMCAS threads where people think their applications will be late because the date got postponed to 6/10/2013 :rolleyes:

I wonder if the residency match neuroticism is like this..:oops:

we will be fine.

You should see the paranoia in the AMCAS threads where people think their applications will be late because the date got postponed to 6/10/2013 :rolleyes:

I wonder if the residency match neuroticism is like this..:oops:

I bet the residency match is even worse. With that, you have no choice but to attend where you match. So you have essentially little sway on where you will spend the next 3-5 years :scared:

But at least for med school you can sit back and look at your acceptances and then decide.

I bet the residency match is even worse. With that, you have no choice but to attend where you match. So you have essentially little sway on where you will spend the next 3-5 years :scared:

But at least for med school you can sit back and look at your acceptances and then decide.

I think you can apply to multiple residencies and pick which one you go to. Im not too sure about the specifics. Maybe a resident or M3-M4s will chime in on it.

Ive kinda wanted to ask them about sending out an LOI/Update letter to address my low GPA/interest in the school if I dont get an interview by november

I think you can apply to multiple residencies and pick which one you go to. Im not too sure about the specifics. Maybe a resident or M3-M4s will chime in on it.

Ive kinda wanted to ask them about sending out an LOI/Update letter to address my low GPA/interest in the school if I dont get an interview by november

Nope, you apply to multiple ones but when you're matched, you're matched.

Nope, you apply to multiple ones but when you're matched, you're matched.

36979336.jpg

Hey this is a more general question for all of the Texas medical schools.

I sent in my TMDSAS about 2 weeks ago and am currently still working on the secondaries. I have not sent in my letters of recommendations yet but I have them all sent to my University and they just need to send the letter packet to the schools. Am I late getting these sent to the schools or what is the timeline that everyone is following with sending their letters. Thanks!

If I go to an undergrad that is on quarter system, do I still go ahead and enter in the "quarter hours" into the pre-req section of the secondary under the category "Sem Hrs" ?

Hi guys,

I know that one person provided one example of how they did the bulleted list, but, are there any others that did it differently?

Also, for section IV the max is 3500 characters, but around how many characters did you guys actually use? I'm thinking to do 3-4 paragraphs (around 2500).... not sure if this is too much or too little

Thank you!

Hi guys,

I know that one person provided one example of how they did the bulleted list, but, are there any others that did it differently?

Also, for section IV the max is 3500 characters, but around how many characters did you guys actually use? I'm thinking to do 3-4 paragraphs (around 2500).... not sure if this is too much or too little

Thank you!

I just submitted mine. Around 2200 for section 4

Wait, do we not write in essay format for questin IV??

I think I did...

I just want to make sure because I wrote an essay for it....I didn't submit it yet though. Want to make sure they want an essay before I submit. I sent an email to their admissions to ask. They didn't get back to me yet.

I just want to make sure because I wrote an essay for it....I didn't submit it yet though. Want to make sure they want an essay before I submit. I sent an email to their admissions to ask. They didn't get back to me yet.

I would suggest waiting till they reply. They usually reply to my emails the same day. 24 hours at the latest.

I received both emails too.

Since I went to college out of state, my pre-med advisor uses a LOR submission system that doesn't open until June 28 :confused: The rest of my app has been complete since beginning of May.

Assuming my LORs go in on the 28th, when would be the soonest I could hear about an interview? ie, what is their turnaround time btwn receiving a complete app and making an interview decision? Do I even have a shot at an interview?

(stats: o3.63/s3.34 mcat34)

Thanks and good luck to all!

I received both emails too.

Since I went to college out of state, my pre-med advisor uses a LOR submission system that doesn't open until June 28 :confused: The rest of my app has been complete since beginning of May.

Assuming my LORs go in on the 28th, when would be the soonest I could hear about an interview? ie, what is their turnaround time btwn receiving a complete app and making an interview decision? Do I even have a shot at an interview?

(stats: o3.63/s3.34 mcat34)

Thanks and good luck to all!

In past years, they've started sending out interview invites in August. I submitted in June and didn't get an interview invite until November, so it varies. Your numbers look good - just keep your fingers crossed!

In past years, they've started sending out interview invites in August. I submitted in June and didn't get an interview invite until November, so it varies. Your numbers look good - just keep your fingers crossed!

Wow.. that wait would be a killer for me :(

I sent them an email over a week ago....regarding the last question of their secondary, and they never replied.. Should I just submit the essay I wrote for that question?

I sent them an email over a week ago....regarding the last question of their secondary, and they never replied.. Should I just submit the essay I wrote for that question?

"describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career"

It's hard to beleive they would expect us to answer such a question in bullet points. Also, they specified bulleted format for QIII, but not QIV.