2013-2014 University of Utah School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

IS applicant, 3.68 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, MCAT pending, ECs are average for other schools, but probably below average here. Good luck guys

Members don't see this ad :)
IS applying here. 3.56 cGPA 3.38 sGPA (My AMCAS GPAs were a whole 0.01 point higher than my ACCOMAS for anyone confused from my MDapps lol) 31M MCAT. Here's hoping for a miracle... my number one choice of med schools.

As a med student, I should give you a bit of advice, you can apply here, but you may have better luck out of state. The U of U has an admissions process that is not...great. Fill many electives, 7 letters of recommendation, and you hafta rewrite your personal statement again, which can be a pain if you cannot convey your message in your first personal statement.

The 2nd personal statement will be key for your application. You may have 3 interviews or you will have MMI. In the 3 interviews, you will be interviewed by 2 faculty and 1 student. They will look at your application, but not have access to your MCAT/GPA. After you try to convey your being to them, they will each write up a recommendation on a scale of 0-10...er something like that. From there, you will need to wait until april as the admissions committee reviews your application from the inside out. If you apply to other schools, you will hear back beary sooner than the U of U.

As for the personal statement, just write another one as to why you want to become a physician...what are your motivations and dreams and who influenced you. Good luck for those trying to apply to the U of U.

More information is followed in the next post.

Last edited:
The U's acceptances are a little screwy, but this is how it works, to the best of my understanding.

Summary:
Around November to December a few people will be accepted and a bunch will be rejected. From December to April most people that hear anything will be rejected. Everyone else will hear the first week of April.

Full Text:
After you interview the interviewers do whatever it is that they do to score you and send this to the admissions committee

The admissions committee meets every week or two and looks at all of the information about each applicant that has completed the process to that point. They look at your applications, the interviewers comments, etc. and taking all of that into account they assign you a numerical score.

BTW, I don't even go to the U...just passing this advice a long and see what you say :p I got into another school this year.

Here is where the no rolling admissions part comes in and where it gets a little frustrating for applicants.

Based on past experience the committee knows that people above a certain score will be eventually offered an acceptance and people below a certain score will not be offered an acceptance. Those people are either accepted or rejected generally sometime around November to December. This is a VERY SMALL MINORITY of the students that will be accepted at this time, and occasionally shortly after they interview between the months of January and April.

The MAJORITY of applicants scores fall somewhere in a middle no man's land. These applicants will not hear anything until all applicants have interviewed and the committee makes its final decisions. They will not hear anything until April of 2014. It does not matter how many times you call the admissions office you won't hear anything until then.

About the first week of April 2014 everyone who has not received notice to this point will receive a letter with an acceptance, an outright rejection or waitlisted.

Last edited:
As a med student, I should give you a bit of advice, you can apply here, but you may have better luck out of state. The U of U has an admissions process that is not...great. Fill many electives, 7 letters of recommendation, and you hafta rewrite your personal statement again, which can be a pain if you cannot convey your message in your first personal statement.

The 2nd personal statement will be key for your application. You may have 3 interviews or you will have MMI. In the 3 interviews, you will be interviewed by 2 faculty and 1 student. They will look at your application, but not have access to your MCAT/GPA. After you try to convey your being to them, they will each write up a recommendation on a scale of 0-10...er something like that. From there, you will need to wait until april as the admissions committee reviews your application from the inside out. If you apply to other schools, you will hear back beary sooner than the U of U.

As for the personal statement, just write another one as to why you want to become a physician...what are your motivations and dreams and who influenced you. Good luck for those trying to apply to the U of U.

More information is followed in the next post.
As a utah resident you will have a good chance at U of U but also apply broad and too neighboring states.

Hello all -- Applying this year. Stats:
3.6 over all,
3.4 science,
32 MCAT
some graduate classes (with all "A"), 400hrs. volunteer; 100hrs. patient exposure; 45hrs doctor shadow; 80 hours clinical research, few hundred hours bench research. Utah Resident. 3 years Military service.
Also applying DO

I know that I'm always following people's threads to try and find their "stats" (compare who gets in where with what their stats are :)), so I thought I would include mine in my first post.
Thanks and Good luck to all of us!!
P.S. I agree the U of U's admissions process is crazy!

Hello all -- Applying this year. Stats:
3.6 over all,
3.4 science,
32 MCAT
some graduate classes (with all "A"), 400hrs. volunteer; 100hrs. patient exposure; 45hrs doctor shadow; 80 hours clinical research, few hundred hours bench research. Utah Resident. 3 years Military service.
Also applying DO

I know that I'm always following people's threads to try and find their "stats" (compare who gets in where with what their stats are :)), so I thought I would include mine in my first post.
Thanks and Good luck to all of us!!
P.S. I agree the U of U's admissions process is crazy!

good stats.

When does the secondary get sent out exactly?

Also can anyone elaborate on the letters of recommendations changes they made just recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
When does the secondary get sent out exactly?

Also can anyone elaborate on the letters of recommendations changes they made just recently?

Last year they started going out Aug. 2nd. I haven't seen that the letter requirements have changed recently. They still require 6 according to their admissions page?

I received an email from my premedical advisor about how they have made changes to the letters being requested. I couldn't find it saved in my inbox otherwise I would post it. The email did mention that because they had changed their minds about this so recently that they would still accept the previous year's requirements for letters.

I received an email from my premedical advisor about how they have made changes to the letters being requested. I couldn't find it saved in my inbox otherwise I would post it. The email did mention that because they had changed their minds about this so recently that they would still accept the previous year's requirements for letters.

From their website:

Letters of Recommendation

Letters of recommendation are a very important part of the application. Applicants should request letters from professors and supervisors who know them well and can accurately comment on their qualifications for medical school. It is important that those who write letters clearly indicate the length of time they have known the applicant and that they taught the applicant in a traditional lecture classroom setting or supervised their involvement in academics, athletics, research, volunteering, patient exposure or employment (including military). Premedical Committee letters do not satisfy any of the letter requirements. It is not in the applicant's best interest to submit letters from relatives.

The University of Utah School of Medicine requires letters of recommendation that document participation in the 6 specific areas listed below. No more than one letter may be used to fulfill two of the required letters (the letter must adequately address both elements). All letters of recommendation must be on letterhead and have a valid signature. Letters must be submitted to AMCAS letter service.

If you would like to provide the letter writers with instructions, please print this form.

Six Letters of Recommendation Required

Two Academic Letters

At least 1 letter must be from a science professor. The other letter may be from a professor in any course. Letter writers must be faculty members who taught the applicant in a traditional lecture classroom setting and assigned the applicant a grade for credit in the course. Letters from labs, independent study, or correspondence courses do not meet this requirement. Letters from teaching assistants are accepted only when co-signed by the professor who directs the course.

Four Supervisor Letters

Community/volunteer service: The letter must clearly state that the letter writer supervised the applicant that their service was without compensation and what the applicant's role was in providing service. The letter should describe the performance and duration of the applicant's volunteer service.
Patient exposure: The letter must clearly state that the letter writer supervised the applicant and what the applicant's role was in direct interaction with patients. The letter should describe the performance and duration of the applicant's experience. (Letters from shadowing is discouraged).
Research: The letter must clearly state that the letter writer supervised the applicant in a scholarly or scientific hypothesis investigation and what the applicant's role was in the research experience. The letter should describe the performance and duration of the applicant's research.
Other Supervisor: This letter may be from any individual of the applicant's choice who has supervised their involvement in academics, athletics, research, volunteering, or employment (including military). The letter must clearly state that the letter writer supervised/directed the applicant's activity and include a detailed description of the activity. We will accept a professor letter to meet this requirement. A letter from a premedical advisor or a peer will NOT be accepted.
Letters of recommendation from previous applications to our school will not be transferred to the current application.

Note: No exceptions or substitutions are allowed.

Just got this secondary today and wow is it a beast. Easily the longest secondary I've had so far, although the essays seem manageable. Their letter requirements are also the strictest I've seen

Can you put the prompts up please?:D

1) What do you want the Admissions Committee to know about you that is not addressed elsewhere in your application? Secondly, what can being a physician offer that other professions do not? (3990 characters total)

2) If you do not intend to enroll in any courses, explain the learning pursuits in which you will be involved in the space below. (2000 characters)

Just got this secondary today and wow is it a beast. Easily the longest secondary I've had so far, although the essays seem manageable. Their letter requirements are also the strictest I've seen

Do they screen applications? I turned mine in 15 minutes after AMCAS opened and haven't received one yet. I'm IS and way above average in all their categories. Yay BYU. It'll probably come later today, I'm guessing. Honestly though, I'm not super excited about going to the U. I'd like to get out of state and live somewhere else for a change.

Do they screen applications?

Yes, I'm pretty sure they do screen. I'm OOS but with state sanctioned seats and about average with their stats, so I'm sure you'll have one show up soon

So one OOS on SDN has received a secondary application? Interesting, well last year it looks like secondaries were sent out first of August, so thats when I'm expecting one.

So one OOS on SDN has received a secondary application? Interesting, well last year it looks like secondaries were sent out first of August, so thats when I'm expecting one.

Yeah, I'm guessing other people just haven't posted yet?

He's also an Idaho resident, so he is technically IS I think? They have 9 or so seats saved for Idaho students, and I'm wondering if maybe they send out that secondary earlier and interview those students in a separate pool?

Yep, I am fine waiting for this secondary since Utah doesn't give preference to early applicants anyways. I still have four other secondaries I am finishing up.

I'm reapplying here with a totally new perspective on how to approach the application and interviews.

Also - I see that the essay prompt is different then last years...

I'm reapplying here with a totally new perspective on how to approach the application and interviews.

Ha what's the new perspective or is it top secret?

Also, are you really from Boston and applying OOS. This is a pretty tough school for OOS students unless you have a connection to Utah.

I haven't heard of anyone receiving the secondary, IS or OOS....are we sure they've sent it out to anyone yet?

I haven't heard of anyone receiving the secondary, IS or OOS....are we sure they've sent it out to anyone yet?

Yup, I got the secondary on 7/22, it's definitely out. I'm from Idaho though and we have state sponsored seats at Utah so that might be why I have mine on the earlier side

I just received my secondary from Utah.

Here's the question:

1) What do you want the Admissions Committee to know about you that is not addressed elsewhere in your application? Secondly, what can being a physician offer that other professions do not? (3990 characters)

You can mark this on another tab:

I do not intend to enroll in any courses during 2013-2014.

And then write an essay (2000 characters) answering the following question.

Instructions: If you do not intend to enroll in any courses, explain the learning pursuits in which you will be involved in the space below.

Under the Premedical Course List should I list planned courses? Or just completed courses?

IS applicant secondary just received and stoked to apply here! my first choice school!

Last edited:
Has anyone else had their application fee received?

I paid on Tuesday, but it still hasn't been posted. I called the admissions office and they are looking into it.

IS, second year applicant. Good luck to everyone!

IS, second year applicant. Good luck to everyone!

Re-applicant here as well.

Hey does anyone know where to find class requirements on Utah's admission page? I have the MSAR but it now says that Calculus is not required and if I remember right Calculus was required last year. Also MSAR shows that Cellular Biology is required. Anyways I would like to find the requirements on Utah's website; however, I just searched the sights and could not find the requirements.

Thanks!

Re-applicant here as well.

Hey does anyone know where to find class requirements on Utah's admission page? I have the MSAR but it now says that Calculus is not required and if I remember right Calculus was required last year. Also MSAR shows that Cellular Biology is required. Anyways I would like to find the requirements on Utah's website; however, I just searched the sights and could not find the requirements.

Thanks!

This lists the pre-req classes.

http://medicine.utah.edu/admissions/begin/premedical.php

They require either cellbio or biochem, and no math.

Does anyone know when the earliest II were sent out last year?

Anyone interviewing yet?

From last year's thread, it looked like they started on Sept 10th. I imagine they want to wait for everyone to get back to school from summer vacation and what not.

When do you guys go back to school? BYU doesn't start until after Labor Day.

I'm hoping II go out this week or next.

Blah!

I have written more than 15 different paragraphs for Utah's secondary essay, and I am finally getting close to the final product.

I have struggled with this essay because my personal statement already addresses both of the questions in the prompt.

I received a complete email today. I submitted on the 2nd of August though. I had everything submitted on the 2nd including LORs.

Sorry for the double post.

I received an interview invitation this morning. Interviews start on Sept 9th and are on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

Excited for an interview that is only a 50 minute drive rather than an 8 hour flight. As a diehard Cougar, I'm interested to see what Utah offers in their program.

Also, or those interested:

In state student
LizzyM score: 78 (although Utah doesn't place much emphasis on academics in my opinion)
Above average on all but one of their requirements for secondary. I was right on average with one of them.
Received secondary on 7/29
Complete on 8/2

I finished everything a few weeks ago, including the letters of recommendation, but my application status still says incomplete. Anyone else having this problem? All of the individual sections of the app say complete.

Check to make sure your letters met all of the requirements (click "Secondary Materials" then "Letters of Rec" on the left side. Scroll to the bottom for details about your letters). I had to call them because they confused one of my professor's letters with an employer's. There should be dates received for each letter and an admissions note if anything is incorrect. Other than that, I'd just make sure all of the items on the left side of the page are complete.

Also, don't be afraid to call the admissions office. They were very nice and helpful to me.

Haha thanks, I figured it out. I was just having a "special" moment... I didn't see the "submit forms" button somehow.