2013-2014 University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Life experiences
Provide a chronological history of your life activities from the time you completed high school to the present, i.e. volunteer work, service work, research, participation in music, sports, etc., parenting, et al.

Note: To complete this section, you must include a minimum of four activities total (more is better). You do NOT need to enter the activities in chronological order.
REMEMBER to click the blue Question Mark icon if you have trouble making the status of this page Complete.

Optional Essay
The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them special and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay.

Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a passion they have for a particular field related to their future career in medicine. You may wish to tell us something unique about your interest in the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health that you were not able to include in your general AMCAS personal essay. This may relate to our status as the only school of both medicine and public health and why this appeals to you and your future life as a physician.

Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hello
when applying to UW Wisconsin on AMCAS, if I want to do the WARM program, do i click the button that says Regular MD or special programs?
Thanks

How much does Wisconsin care about state ties for OOS applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend and classmate who was accepted this past cycle. Here's to hoping I get some love, too!! CA resident, re-applicant, first time applying to U of Wisconsin :)

I have a friend and classmate who was accepted this past cycle. Here's to hoping I get some love, too!! CA resident, re-applicant, first time applying to U of Wisconsin :)

Along with Mayo this is my top choice.

oos

You two have great taste!

UWSMPH is such an amazing school! I work next door at UW hospital and I just love it here.

I will be applying as well, submitting my primary tonight! :)

Good luck to you guys and everyone else applying here!

You two have great taste!

UWSMPH is such an amazing school! I work next door at UW hospital and I just love it here.

I will be applying as well, submitting my primary tonight! :)

Good luck to you guys and everyone else applying here!

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work by the hospital? I'm doing research out by the hospital during my gap year and applying to UW as well this cycle.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work by the hospital? I'm doing research out by the hospital during my gap year and applying to UW as well this cycle.

Well I dont want to risk revealing my identity since I already noticed from your mdapp that we were in the same undergrad program and the dept. within the hospital that I work has very few student employees but I work in the hospital :) and I do most of my studying in the med school (HSLC). If you are doing research in WIMR it is also a very nice building though I dont get out there much!

Well I dont want to risk revealing my identity since I already noticed from your mdapp that we were in the same undergrad program and the dept. within the hospital that I work has very few student employees but I work in the hospital :) and I do most of my studying in the med school (HSLC). If you are doing research in WIMR it is also a very nice building though I dont get out there much!

Ha I can understand that. I've given up on anonymity here for the most part. I do work in WIMR and love it, but every building around the hospital seems awesome.

Ha I can understand that. I've given up on anonymity here for the most part. I do work in WIMR and love it, but every building around the hospital seems awesome.

Wow. I should've checked that out when I visited Wisconsin last time.

So what's the best old fashioned? I've heard that in wisconsin they use brandy instead of whiskey.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's the best old fashioned? I've heard that in wisconsin they use brandy instead of whiskey.

This is true. I haven't had my own yet, but I did try a friend's brandy old fashioned and it was great :thumbup:

Yeah... ever since that unfortunate incident in Colorado, I didn't want to risk getting into a drink dispute with your PI (or any PI for that matter)..

We've got our own coffee maker, so no coffee drink arguments anymore :p

Will UWSMPH have pass/fail for M2? There was discussion of this in last year's thread, with some indicating that it was going to happen based on insider info from the students involved in the education committee, others indicating that it wasn't going to happen due to strong opposition from senior faculty.

Also in 2012, UWSMPH students wrote and sponsored a resolution calling for support of two-interval grading systems for preclinical years that was passed by the Wisconsin Medical Society, the AMA Medical Student Section, and subsequently the AMA House of Delegates itself, against opposition from the AMA Section on Medical Schools.

http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/mss/a-12-late-resolution-2.pdf

Last edited:
How friendly is admissions to OOS applicants? I saw something like 22% OOS matriculants...anyone with personal experience?

I would say they are probably one of the least friendly schools for OOS applicants. Yes, the class is about 22% OOS; however, they only interviewed 208 of 3,700 OOS applicants (MSAR). With that said, if you are going to have an OOS reach school Madison is probably one of the best to choose. I saw plenty of OOS applicants get the ax with MCAT scores of 35+ but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply. If you're a strong applicant all around then go for it.

passed secondary screen, but no word on an actual secondary. anyone know when that'll happen?

They haven't sent out the actual secondary yet. They only emailed me to let me know they received my application and if I passed their screen (pretty low at 3.0cGPA and 24 MCAT) then they would send me the actual secondary later.

Secondary received. Can't be submitted until August 18th.

So the application has only gone to in state students so far?

I have yet to receive the secondary and I am well above the requirements they sent out in the initial screening email.

Ditto, and I am OOS too

Never mind. I just got the secondary application. It's not too bad. You need to fill out two things.

Life experiences
Provide a chronological history of your life activities from the time you completed high school to the present, i.e. volunteer work, service work, research, participation in music, sports, etc., parenting, et al.

Note: To complete this section, you must include a minimum of four activities total (more is better). You do NOT need to enter the activities in chronological order.
REMEMBER to click the blue Question Mark icon if you have trouble making the status of this page Complete.

Optional Essay
The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them special and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay.

Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a passion they have for a particular field related to their future career in medicine. You may wish to tell us something unique about your interest in the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health that you were not able to include in your general AMCAS personal essay. This may relate to our status as the only school of both medicine and public health and why this appeals to you and your future life as a physician.

Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. Please limit your response to 500 words.

EDIT: The email says: PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU CLAIM WISCONSIN RESIDENCY, THE FIRST DAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY APPLICATION IS AUGUST 18, 2013. Not sure what that means for out of staters.

The experiences part makes no sense. I am literally copying and pasting out of my AMCAS

OOS and I just received the secondary

are any MSTP applicants complete yet? it's been about a week since i submitted.

So for this whole "Life Experiences" thing... what are we supposed to put?! I touched on research, shadowing, volunteering, etc. on my AMCAS, either in the PS or the W&A sections?

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU CLAIM WISCONSIN RESIDENCY, THE FIRST DAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY APPLICATION IS AUGUST 18, 2013

Bummer.

... This may relate to our status as the only school of both medicine and public health...

This certainly isn't true, is it?

Whatever, though. This is my home school, definitely a top choice.

So for this whole "Life Experiences" thing... what are we supposed to put?! I touched on research, shadowing, volunteering, etc. on my AMCAS, either in the PS or the W&A sections?

I think it's everything, including what you put on your primary. I'm planning on a massive data dump and including even more than I did on the amcas. I think they said more is better.

Anyone else using the activities recap as a space in which you can make the why Wisconsin overtures? Good idea? Bad idea?

Why do they make us copy our entire AMCAS activities?? Why?!! :mad:

Why do they make us copy our entire AMCAS activities?? Why?!! :mad:

I'm expanding on mine and adding more. A lot of stuff that I lumped together on the amcas is now getting divided up, and there's no discernible character limit either. More time for reflection and stuff. There also doesn't seem to be anything that will be done with it until mid August, so tons of time to work on it.

I submitted my secondary today, 7/22. Good luck all :luck:

So I have an essay from another secondary that I feel answers the optional essay prompt sufficiently, but I'm an OOS student. On a scale of 1-10, how important is it that I talk about why I'm thinking about going to Univ of Wisconsin from Utah.

So I have an essay from another secondary that I feel answers the optional essay prompt sufficiently, but I'm an OOS student. On a scale of 1-10, how important is it that I talk about why I'm thinking about going to Univ of Wisconsin from Utah.

Go for it. I don't think they care at all about hearing why you want to go there. They know they run a fantastic school and that's probably why you are applying. They might look favorably on any ties you have to the state, but other than that it probably doesn't matter. You're better off setting yourself apart from other people with unique experiences and insightful thoughts. Just my take though; no one on here can really answer that for you.

I'm confused. A poster above said that they accept very few OOS students, but the MSAR says that 109 students matriculated last year from out of state, more than those IS?

Is it that in comparison to how many applied, there are relatively few interviews and acceptances?

I'm confused. A poster above said that they accept very few OOS students, but the MSAR says that 109 students matriculated last year from out of state, more than those IS?

Is it that in comparison to how many applied, there are relatively few interviews and acceptances?

I dont have my MSAR on me at the moment but that does not sound right... are you sure that wasnt the number of Accepted OOS students (as opposed to matriculated)?

UW is my state school so I know that the target class size is now about 175 and I also know that state law requires the school to take somewhere in the 75-85% range of students from Wisconsin.

Hope this helps!

Just want to re-echo that this secondary is pretty silly. Is this some kind of hoop to see who is lazy and just re-enters AMCAS descriptions vs who adds new stuff? Well I'm sorry but I spent hours upon hours nailing down my AMCAS descriptions... get ready for seconds, UW.

Last edited:
just want to chime in that last app cycle i was burnt out by the time I got to this secondary and I copied and pasted from amcas for that section and got an interview and accepted.. i'm in state btw.