2013-2014 Vanderbilt University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation.

Please discuss a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's start this off with some pictures.

Medical school (Light Hall) on the right, side of University Hospital on the left

222.jpeg

Inside a lecture hall

5999921868_0aa31ba0ac_z.jpg

Biomedical Library

cool_image_1.jpg

Children's Hospital

eHH0kzal.jpg

Vanderbilt University campus from the air

620x434.jpg

Vanderbilt University campus, medical center in background

wtw_image.jpg

Can anyone comment if it is worth re-applying here if I was given an interview last cycle but then not accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's start this off with some pictures.

Medical school (Light Hall) on the right, side of University Hospital on the left

222.jpeg

Inside a lecture hall

5999921868_0aa31ba0ac_z.jpg

Biomedical Library

cool_image_1.jpg

Children's Hospital

eHH0kzal.jpg

Vanderbilt University campus from the air

620x434.jpg

Vanderbilt University campus, medical center in background

wtw_image.jpg

Gorgeous. Would love to be able to interview during fall since I've heard it's breathtaking.

Hi everyone! I'm currently in the process of applying to med school and I was just wondering if you all could tell me a little about Vandy. I really want to know how good the balance is between patient care and research at Vanderbilt. Does the school stress one more than the other? Also for clinical rotations/ med school is there a lot of hands on learning? Thanks in advance!

I'm excited to be applying here, although this is definitely my "reach school". Hoping my 3.5 sGPA isn't a huge red flag. I'm taking the MCAT in June and hoping that a strong score on it will help make up for the sGPA (cGPA is a 3.80, so right on the Vandy average).

What do you guys think purely based on location the chances of a guy from a public state school in massachusetts has to get into vandy? If you look here https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/undergraduate-schools-represented

None in the past few years, almost everyone at Vandy is from a private school. I have family ties to Nashville and was born there myself just across the street, so I would like to go to Vandy.

LOL 1 person from Baylor?! I dont like those odds...

I got my MCAT back today. Stoked that this school is now on my list. Here's to a good season.

Anyone know if Vandy is non-trad friendly? I have oodles of clinical experience yet little research. Are they more research oriented or clinical (not that anyone is for no clinical experience).

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think purely based on location the chances of a guy from a public state school in massachusetts has to get into vandy? If you look here https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/undergraduate-schools-represented

None in the past few years, almost everyone at Vandy is from a private school. I have family ties to Nashville and was born there myself just across the street, so I would like to go to Vandy.

You're not going to be discounted for going to a public school. Part of the situation you're seeing with that list is that the class size is pretty small (~100), so there just isn't going to be as much representation as you would see at schools with larger classes.

Trivia: Multiple students were accepted from UW-Madison, as well as Baylor, for the incoming class. Doesn't mean they will all matriculate though.

I got my MCAT back today. Stoked that this school is now on my list. Here's to a good season.

Anyone know if Vandy is non-trad friendly? I have oodles of clinical experience yet little research. Are they more research oriented or clinical (not that anyone is for no clinical experience).

I would say that it would be in your best interest to get at least some research experience. It's a little bit of an uphill battle if you don't have any at all.

Vandy is my top choice! But, my numbers are definitely not up to par with theirs--c3.74, s3.74-3.78 (depending on what's classified as science by AMCAS), MCAT 32 (12/9/11). Does anyone know if having a recommendation letter from someone on the vandy medical school faculty will help my chances at all? It's from someone I worked for as a CRA for about a year.

The curriculum looks awesome. What are immersion blocks?

From their website:

The Immersion phase is a highly individualized period which will build upon the foundational knowledge acquired earlier, in a context that is most relevant each student’s individual interests. Immersion courses will incorporate explicit teaching of the scientific, ethical, legal and social dimensions of medicine, frequently in the context of delivering clinical care. Students will select from a broad menu of courses to complete core requirements and pursue individual interests. The intent is to encourage learners to “dive deeper” as they become more sophisticated. Within this period, each student will complete a research requirement (Emphasis). Students will avail themselves of Vanderbilt University’s tremendous research enterprise and can choose from many areas of academic focus, such as Biomedical Informatics, Community Health Initiatives and Health Outreach, Global Health, Healthcare and Public Health Research and Management, Laboratory-Based Biomedical Research, Medical Education, Medical Humanities, Ethics and Policy, Patient-Oriented Research.

I too think I'd really like this curriculum.

Wow. This new curriculum looks amazing!

For a more basic explanation, immersion blocks are basically electives, ranging from your normal clinical electives and away rotations to more focused electives such as "cardiac pharmacology" or special topics in medical ethics.

The time can also be used for additional research time in addition to the required 3 month research clerkship/emphasis project. There is no reason for you to not have at least one publication if not more by the time you graduate. There are a lot of resources available for medical student research.

So I started to pre-write for vanderbilt using last year's prompt.

Is it just me or is there going to be a lot of overlap between the "Autobiography" essay and the other two "Diversity" and "Challenges" essays?

Essentially, a huge part of what I write in my autobiography will be what I will cover in my Diversity and Challenges essay......I feel like I am writing about the same thing over and over, and just changing the wording. And there are only so many ways to talk about the same thing

God I love Vandy. Unfortunately I'm looking at a sGPA of 3.56 and all other of 3.8 or so. I just took my mcat Thursday... So who knows! That curriculum looks fantastic and I would love go head back to the south after an undergrad in the great white north, ha!

According to MSAR, Vandy screens its applicants and only selected individuals are given secondaries. Anyone know how many they send?

According to MSAR, Vandy screens its applicants and only selected individuals are given secondaries. Anyone know how many they send?

~1/4 get secondaries, and 500 get interview offers, as per last year's thread

~1/4 get secondaries, and 500 get interview offers, as per last year's thread

Too bad they stopped doing the secondary=II thing :rolleyes: I thought it was a rather considerate policy.

Did anyone else get an Email from Vandy today which had a link to fill out an information form? I can't seem to get the link to work

Same here!

I came here because I got that too, and I didn't even apply. Did they just sling that email out all over or is that something saying they are slightly interested? I will add them to my application if that is the case.

I came here because I got that too, and I didn't even apply. Did they just sling that email out all over or is that something saying they are slightly interested? I will add them to my application if that is the case.

Got one too. They may send to people based off of mcat scores in the system. But then again, they get money for each secondary they end up giving out..

I got one too, but I cant even open up the information form when I click their link. It seems to crash

Got one too. They may send to people based off of mcat scores in the system. But then again, they get money for each secondary they end up giving out..

That's what I was worried about, I want to apply if they are actually interested because this is such a great school.. But if they are just throwing these out there to pull in secondary cash then I don't want to waste my time or money.

Vandy screens pre-secondary. This is not a means to get extra money.

I was excited to get one because vandy's high on my list. I hope to get a secondary because I'm actually enjoying writing the autobiography question

Despite it probably not being a means to get money, I doubt the email is highly indicative of Vanderbilt's interest level in you.

Wow. This new curriculum looks amazing!
I just looked at the description of the curriculum in the MSAR and saw that there's only one preclinical year, and then clerkships start second year. How do they cram all the preclinical stuff into just 13 months?? I wouldn't mind starting clinical stuff earlier than most schools, but I question how thorough the knowledge base is after just 13 months.
Any thoughts?

Despite it probably not being a means to get money, I doubt the email is highly indicative of Vanderbilt's interest level in you.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if it was sent to everyone who has submitted their app through AMCAS.

But, chances are, more primary apps means more secondary apps. Either way, if it does mean anything I'm glad I got the email.

I just looked at the description of the curriculum in the MSAR and saw that there's only one preclinical year, and then clerkships start second year. How do they cram all the preclinical stuff into just 13 months?? I wouldn't mind starting clinical stuff earlier than most schools, but I question how thorough the knowledge base is after just 13 months.
Any thoughts?

When I interviewed last year they talked about how they wouldn't be going into as much detail in the preclinical years. The vibe I get is that there's quite a bit of unnecessary detail in the preclinical courses.

When I interviewed last year they talked about how they wouldn't be going into as much detail in the preclinical years. The vibe I get is that there's quite a bit of unnecessary detail in the preclinical courses.
Interesting. That's probably true, but taking two years for preclinical stuff also gives you more time to study for Step 1.
I guess there are pros and cons for both.

Did anyone else get an Email from Vandy today which had a link to fill out an information form? I can't seem to get the link to work

I got it too, I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of landing on their radar. Debating on applying anyway since its a HUGE reach for me.

Is anyone else receiving the "information e-mail" every day? I now have three or four of them...

Is anyone else receiving the "information e-mail" every day? I now have three or four of them...

Not me, just one. And in reference to earlier messages about it not working, I got it to work a day or 2 ago.