2013-2014 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everyone applying to the Medical College of Virginia at VCU!

I will be one of your M2 interview day tour guides next year and we are excited to meet you as the Admissions Committee picks a select few of you to interview this fall, winter, and spring. It's an exciting and competitive process. Please remember to apply EARLY as we got over 7,000 applications last year for a total of 200 seats.

If any of you have questions about the process, how to write the essays, what MCV likes to hear, etc., there are a few of us MCV med students (and some grads) floating around SDN, so just post here and we'll be happy to help. (Please don't PM me; it will help everyone if you post here.)

Also, as a suggestion, pay special attention to your ECs, PS, and essays here. In my estimation, our AdCom seems to care more about who you are (and much of that is represented by what you've done and how much you put into it) than what your academics show. Our average stats reflect this -- our average MCAT and GPA are slightly low for a school of our ranking and achievement. I think that's a reflection of what matters to the program, so don't hesitate to apply with a 3.8/24 if you're an Olympian who has given inspirational speeches to children around the world and works in a free clinic. (Yes, I am speaking to you, *******.)

I will be one of your M2 interview day tour guides next year and we are excited to meet you as the Admissions Committee picks a select few of you to interview this fall, winter, and spring. It's an exciting and competitive process. Please remember to apply EARLY as we got over 7,000 applications last year for a total of 200 seats.

If any of you have questions about the process, how to write the essays, what MCV likes to hear, etc., there are a few of us MCV med students (and some grads) floating around SDN, so just post here and we'll be happy to help. (Please don't PM me; it will help everyone if you post here.)

Also, as a suggestion, pay special attention to your ECs, PS, and essays here. In my estimation, our AdCom seems to care more about who you are (and much of that is represented by what you've done and how much you put into it) than what your academics show. Our average stats reflect this -- our average MCAT and GPA are slightly low for a school of our ranking and achievement. I think that's a reflection of what matters to the program, so don't hesitate to apply with a 3.8/24 if you're an Olympian who has given inspirational speeches to children around the world and works in a free clinic. (Yes, I am speaking to you, *******.)

Hey music2doc- are you an admissions member? Does admissions sanction your activities here on SDN?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey music2doc- are you an admissions member? Does admissions sanction your activities here on SDN?

Pretty sure I explained clearly my role in the process and this is clearly a personal account. Everything else I said was what admissions committee members have told me. I am not here on their behalf but I remember when I was applying it, it was nice to have students who were involved in the process available to answer questions from their perspective. I am sorry if you do not feel the same way. (Only M4s sit on the AdCom, so M2s serve as tour guides. M3s are [generally] too busy to be involved. We have no authority in the Admissions process itself; however, those of us with an interest in Admissions are also likely to be the ones who engage in conversations with the AdCom members to better understand the process.)

Hopefully, that clears things up for you, MCV 2016.

Thanks so much for offering your help! I know it's going to be a hectic year, but students like you are great in trying to help ease some of that nervousness.

My question: what specifically drew you to attend MCV? and in your experience, how OOS friendly is MCV?

Thanks so much for offering your help! I know it's going to be a hectic year, but students like you are great in trying to help ease some of that nervousness.

My question: what specifically drew you to attend MCV? and in your experience, how OOS friendly is MCV?

I chose MCV over several schools that were much closer to home because I was impressed with its programs and its emphasis on underserved and international populations.

We have an especially vibrant global health program with exciting projects around the world. Every year, through preexisting programs M1s go to established sites in Honduras, Peru, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Ecuador, Ghana and other places. (As a part of those trips, they also offer/require a global health elective and a Spanish elective for M1s. Both were excellent.) We also have M3 rotations in Honduras (Family Medicine) and an effort is underway to add additional sites in other specialties. On top of all that, we have the International Trauma System Development Program (ITSDP), a clinical research team that partners with the Panamerican Trauma Society (an affiliate of the WHO/PAHO) to provide assistance to Latin America in developing trauma care systems on both national and local levels. (The PTS itself is also now headquartered out of the VCU Division of Trauma Services, which provides some great publication opportunities.) It has been said that if you go to Latin/South America and talk to physicians there about American trauma systems, we are the hospital system they are talking about.

Additionally, because the region near the school actually has a median income below the federal poverty line, the school is very intentional in its approach to training culturally-competent physicians who are [hopefully] understanding of the needs of low SES communities. This aspect also means we get lots of interesting pathology and trauma cases.

Finally, our early clinical experience is really something the school prides itself on. As an M1, I served at a clinic where I got to "be" the physician. I went in with my partner (an advanced student from another healthcare program), saw our patient and we worked together to get the history, perform the exam, come up with an assessment, tentative diagnosis, and plan. We then presented to a junior preceptor (an M4 on a teaching rotation) who would provide coaching as necessary (e.g., "did you ask....?" or "have you considered...?" or "I would..."). Finally, we would present our patient to the supervising attending. The attending would ask any questions necessary and then spend a few minutes with the patient (with us observing or assisting) to ensure we didn't miss anything. At the beginning, much of our work was checked but by the end of the year, the attendings would occasionally do little more than glance into the room (assuming they trusted you and felt the case was simple enough).

As for the OOS issue, I am OOS and I found it very OOS friendly. Of the 201 in our class, 100 are OOS and this is consistent from year to year at right about 50% OOS. I would say they show almost no preference for IS students (although I'm sure they have to somewhat to get the little state funding they do receive).

So TL;DR:

• Underserved population focus
  • Unbeatable international/global health program
  • Awesome early clinical experience that defies the "early clinical experience is a gimmick" mantra of SDN
  • Very OOS-friendly (50% of class is OOS -- about the same as most private schools)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ah thanks so much for the wonderful info!

All of that sounds so incredible, and definitely a reason this school is one of my top choices

From your description and everything else I've researched and read, this program sounds amazing. Can't wait to apply here.

Thanks so much music2doc.
I am a reapplicant this year, and last cycle I got an update letter from VCU saying that they were interested in me and reviewed my application further, but could not offer an interview spot this year.
They also encouraged to apply again next year.
My question is, is this a generic message they say to everyone (to apply again) or do they really mean it?:confused:
I'm trying to decide whether to really apply again. Thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks so much music2doc.
I am a reapplicant this year, and last cycle I got an update letter from VCU saying that they were interested in me and reviewed my application further, but could not offer an interview spot this year.
They also encouraged to apply again next year.
My question is, is this a generic message they say to everyone (to apply again) or do they really mean it?:confused:
I'm trying to decide whether to really apply again. Thanks a lot for your help!

My guess would be that it's a generic letter unless you applied late and that was why they couldn't offer you an interview. That said, give them a call and ask Dr. Whitehurst-Cook what her opinion is. She is usually pretty open with applicants. Ask her what you can fix to be more competitive. Ask her what she thinks might have prevented them from interviewing you (Don't ask whether or not you should reapply.) The most obvious reasons for no interview are:

MCAT <28 (unless you are URM and/or have exceptional ECs)*
GPA <3.5 (unless the above)*
Lack of clinical experience (research to some degree but is much less important than clinical)
Essays or PS don't match MCV's mission
LORs are bad

* Stats are approximations of around where I would think you might see a downturn in chances at an interview. There are many variables and no one number will determine anything.

My guess would be that it's a generic letter unless you applied late and that was why they couldn't offer you an interview. That said, give them a call and ask Dr. Whitehurst-Cook what her opinion is. She is usually pretty open with applicants. Ask her what you can fix to be more competitive. Ask her what she thinks might have prevented them from interviewing you (Don't ask whether or not you should reapply.) The most obvious reasons for no interview are:

MCAT <28 (unless you are URM and/or have exceptional ECs)*
GPA <3.5 (unless the above)*
Lack of clinical experience (research to some degree but is much less important than clinical)
Essays or PS don't match MCV's mission
LORs are bad

* Stats are approximations of around where I would think you might see a downturn in chances at an interview. There are many variables and no one number will determine anything.
My stats: 32Q, 3.6 GPA, some clinical experience (I work in an optometry office), a little bit of research.
And I actually did apply quite late..I was done with secondaries in November :eek: due to personal reasons..
But anyway, I will do as you've suggested and contact Dr. Whitehurst-Cook (I'm assuming she's not so difficult to get a hold of..?).
Thanks again!

My stats: 32Q, 3.6 GPA, some clinical experience (I work in an optometry office), a little bit of research.
And I actually did apply quite late..I was done with secondaries in November :eek: due to personal reasons..
But anyway, I will do as you've suggested and contact Dr. Whitehurst-Cook (I'm assuming she's not so difficult to get a hold of..?).
Thanks again!

You probably don't need to even call Admissions. There's your answer. Everything else is strong and would put you in the middle of my current class. However, applying in November means you were so far behind that by the time they looked at your application, they were in the no interview slots left but if someone is just STELLAR, we can try to find someone to interview them phase of the cycle. In other words, you applied REALLY late. People who get interview offers from applications submitted that late have to be someone the adcom absolutely doesn't want to miss. Reapply and do it EARLY this time!

(They generally process applications in order of completion and got to November and December submissions in about February. The last week of interview invites was actually the week they finished November's applicants and got through December submissions due to the backlog. According to one of my contacts on the adcom, during the last couple of weeks, they had to submit a special request to Admissions to have someone interviewed because all spots had been filled. It's possible the email you received actually indicates an adcom member asked Admissions to interview you and they turned your advocate down b/c they were unable to offer any more interview slots.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey music2doc, I had one question that you may or may not be able to answer:

I know the admissions committee requires 2 LORs from science professors. One of mine is a physics prof... would you think that a Biological Psychology professor could be used as the other science rec? I know I should probably email admissions and ask that question, but I wanted to know if you had any insight on this.

Thanks so much again!

Hey music2doc, I had one question that you may or may not be able to answer:

I know the admissions committee requires 2 LORs from science professors. One of mine is a physics prof... would you think that a Biological Psychology professor could be used as the other science rec? I know I should probably email admissions and ask that question, but I wanted to know if you had any insight on this.

Thanks so much again!

Call or email admissions.

Call or email admissions.

I would agree with this. Technicality types of questions are best answered by the Office of Admissions (this probably goes for any school) as they are the ones who make the decision about such things.

I would agree with this. Technicality types of questions are best answered by the Office of Admissions (this probably goes for any school) as they are the ones who make the decision about such things.

Wouldn't you say that most of the questions that you answer here would be best answered by admissions?

Wouldn't you say that most of the questions that you answer here would be best answered by admissions?

Sure, if Admissions would answer them. There are a lot of questions that Admissions cannot answer because their word is the official word. Educated guesses can be made by an involved student working for them who has spoken with members of the adcom extensively. Such a student's guesses are educated but do not represent a "promise" by Admissions. There is a reason actual Admissions staff are generally evasive or vague when it comes to giving students advice. Much of that reason has to do with the perception that they are the all-knowing Office of Admissions and their guidance may be seen as akin to a verbal contract (i.e., "if you do this, we will accept you").

This school looks awesome! Cant wait to apply. Good luck everyone!

You probably don't need to even call Admissions. There's your answer. Everything else is strong and would put you in the middle of my current class. However, applying in November means you were so far behind that by the time they looked at your application, they were in the no interview slots left but if someone is just STELLAR, we can try to find someone to interview them phase of the cycle. In other words, you applied REALLY late. People who get interview offers from applications submitted that late have to be someone the adcom absolutely doesn't want to miss. Reapply and do it EARLY this

Thank you so much for such a detailed answer.
I will definitely be applying early this year.
Thanks again and I'll be back with more questions!
I think what you're doing is absolutely helpful and awesome.

Sure, if Admissions would answer them. There are a lot of questions that Admissions cannot answer because their word is the official word. Educated guesses can be made by an involved student working for them who has spoken with members of the adcom extensively. Such a student's guesses are educated but do not represent a "promise" by Admissions. There is a reason actual Admissions staff are generally evasive or vague when it comes to giving students advice. Much of that reason has to do with the perception that they are the all-knowing Office of Admissions and their guidance may be seen as akin to a verbal contract (i.e., "if you do this, we will accept you").

Hi music2Doc,

First of all thank you for helping us out in this process! I am an in-state applicant and this is my top choice for medical school. My question is in regards to your opening post where you mentioned we could ask you what MCV likes to hear. What are their preferences in their applicants in their PS or Secondary App?

Thanks in advance

OOS as well! I don't really have an IS unfortunately...

OOS also! Never even been to Virginia before but have heard wonderful things about VCU :D

Any advice/timeline on secondaries if applying early?

Any advice/timeline on secondaries if applying early?

Have all secondaries submitted by the end of July or within 1-2 weeks of receiving them. Take the soonest interview date offered (if you are prepared/able).

Hey all! I'm a Canadian student who will be applying to VCUSM, and I am pretty stoked on the program (not so much the tuition cost). Does anybody know how many Canadians are accepted into the program each year? It says on their website that were are treated the same as OOS, so I think my chances are fairly equal to all of the US citizen OOS applicants, no?

Cheers! And good luck to everyone, maybe we will be classmates in the future. :)

Hey all! I'm a Canadian student who will be applying to VCUSM, and I am pretty stoked on the program (not so much the tuition cost). Does anybody know how many Canadians are accepted into the program each year? It says on their website that were are treated the same as OOS, so I think my chances are fairly equal to all of the US citizen OOS applicants, no?

Cheers! And good luck to everyone, maybe we will be classmates in the future. :)

I can think of precisely 1 in the M2 class. Hard to say how your chances compare, though.

IS student applying here! Good luck everyone! :D

We have an especially vibrant global health program with exciting projects around the world. Every year, through preexisting programs M1s go to established sites in Honduras, Peru, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Ecuador, Ghana and other places.

Additionally, because the region near the school actually has a median income below the federal poverty line, the school is very intentional in its approach to training culturally-competent physicians who are [hopefully] understanding of the needs of low SES communities. This aspect also means we get lots of interesting pathology and trauma cases.

Finally, our early clinical experience is really something the school prides itself on. As an M1, I served at a clinic where I got to "be" the physician.

I am an alumnus of MCV and am also a Richmond native. I used to be a frequent poster about MCV but since I am so many years removed, I think my info on the pre-clinical curriculum and such is probably stale. What I can speak to is the experience at MCV because it hasnt changed for decades.

I have to say, I really liked my experience at MCV. The one thing I wish I did, in retrospect, was go on the HOMBRE trip to Honduras. It seemed like a truly once in a lifetime experience that a lot of my classmates got to go on. So if you get in, go on that trip.

Like music2doc said, the patient population and the experience during third year are strong and probably the best part of medschool at MCV (this is coming from someone who did his residency at Hopkins). Unlike many populations, our population at MCV is not only poor but doesn't take care of themselves very well. So, because of this you get to see presentations of disease that you otherwise wouldn't see. The third year is very hands on, for instance I got to do ABGs and a few paracenteses just in my time on medicine. I got to open during surgeries and got to close more times than I care to explain.

My classmates came from a diverse group of places which is nice. For a state school, having half of the class come from out of state adds a nice dimension. The faculty are quite helpful and incredibly nice. The board prep was exceptional and that alone is one thing that I can attribute some of my success to. In the end it was the perfect med school for me.

This sounds perfect! Glad I'm applying! What did you like about there board prep? Do u know if that's changed?

This sounds perfect! Glad I'm applying! What did you like about there board prep? Do u know if that's changed?

Dr. Linda Costanzo.

I'm sure there were other things, but the legend of Costanzo is, well, legendary. She is our former Asst. Dean of Pre-Clinical Medical Education and remains on faculty for Physiology in M1 (the 2nd largest course in M1/M2, which she teaches a good 40+% of herself) and Renal in M2. She and our current Dean of Pre-Clinical Medical Education run the M2 Board Prep course (and each student has the opportunity to meet with one of the two of them individually to plan out their Step 1 prep). Basically, the school offers a superb board prep solution that effortlessly beats what companies like Kaplan charge several grand for. (Of course, you still need to purchase qbanks but you'll do that with Kaplan et al anyway.)

Dr. Constanzo is especially valuable as she wrote the most-used Medical Physiology in med school today as well as the BRS Physiology review book. I tried to get an used copy of her Physio text from M2s and I ended up having to order on Amazon instead because all of my M2 friends basically came back to me with the same response: "I checked with all of my friends and we are still using our book to prep for Boards and it's a great review for the classes we are doing now, so we just wouldn't feel comfortable giving it up. You should just go order your own copy on Amazon." I believe she has also sat on the NBME's Step 1 question authoring committee or has at least reviewed question materials for other prep companies for Step 1 and Step 2. She's also an absolutely fantastic professor in the classroom. She speaks like she writes with multiple approaches to teaching tailored to different types of learners. She manages to cover visual, auditory, and even tactile methods of learning. What I'm trying to say is if every professor we had was Linda Constanzo, I would have easily had a 95%+ on every exam in M1. (I didn't.)

Last edited:
Music2doc,

I was curious: does how does VCU look at a low sub score?

I am a URM (first gen Mexican-American) female, ESL, with a bad verbal score.

(PS11, BS10, V6 [27])
I do have a good GPA- cGPA: 3.94, sGPA: 3.91.

I believe my LORs and ECs are strong and they are highly reflective of my desire to work with underserved communities. (I also considered myself both medically and financially disadvantaged on my application).

Would VCU automatically screen me out? I keep hearing here in SDN that that verbal probably killed all my chances at any MD school.

Well, I'm not the Dean so I can't really give you a yes/no but in keeping with common SDN wisdom, I would say anything <7 is generally a no-go across the board for US MD. One reason I picked up working with another school's Admissions team while doing my pre-reqs is that research shows that <27 total or <7 subscore (especially on the VR) predicts a high risk of non-completion. I doubt MCV would take that chance unless you had something super special.

That said, I do know that for applicants that are incredible in another area, exceptions are occasionally made. (One example that comes to mind is a potential applicant who is an Olympian that frequently travels the country mentoring kids in underserved areas and was offered extreme leeway on her MCAT as a result of that plus her 3.9 GPA and a number of other exceptional accomplishments.)

My suggestion to you would be to get that VR up -- I'd say an 8 or maybe even a 7 could get you an interview with the URM background, Spanish native fluency, and [hopefully] an interest in working with immigrant Latino populations (which we have many of in Richmond and across the country) -- or, perhaps, try for a school in Puerto Rico. (PR schools are LCME accredited US MD programs that require Spanish fluency and teach with a combination of Spanish and English. Since most of their applicants are Spanish-native, English-fluent, they tend to emphasize the MCAT less) Unfortunately, most US schools will look at the low VR and only minimally consider the fact that you are 1st gen. Their primary purpose to make sure they accept students who will make it and a low VR is a barrier, so bring it up! (You can do it!)

Well, I'm not the Dean so I can't really give you a yes/no but in keeping with common SDN wisdom, I would say anything <7 is generally a no-go across the board for US MD. One reason I picked up working with another school's Admissions team while doing my pre-reqs is that research shows that <27 total or <7 subscore (especially on the VR) predicts a high risk of non-completion. I doubt MCV would take that chance unless you had something super special.

That said, I do know that for applicants that are incredible in another area, exceptions are occasionally made. (One example that comes to mind is a potential applicant who is an Olympian that frequently travels the country mentoring kids in underserved areas and was offered extreme leeway on her MCAT as a result of that plus her 3.9 GPA and a number of other exceptional accomplishments.)

My suggestion to you would be to get that VR up -- I'd say an 8 or maybe even a 7 could get you an interview with the URM background, Spanish native fluency, and [hopefully] an interest in working with immigrant Latino populations (which we have many of in Richmond and across the country) -- or, perhaps, try for a school in Puerto Rico. (PR schools are LCME accredited US MD programs that require Spanish fluency and teach with a combination of Spanish and English. Since most of their applicants are Spanish-native, English-fluent, they tend to emphasize the MCAT less) Unfortunately, most US schools will look at the low VR and only minimally consider the fact that you are 1st gen. Their primary purpose to make sure they accept students who will make it and a low VR is a barrier, so bring it up! (You can do it!)

Thank you for the detailed response, music2doc, it is greatly appreciated :)

Music2doc,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and help us all out! I would have liked to apply earlier, but my MCAT scores will be in by the end of July and hopefully my application is verified by then by AMCAS. So I am looking at a complete date by the first week of August, do you think that is too late? I aim to have secondaries for this school in within days of receiving the request. I am in-state 3.6 overall GPA 3.8 science with pretty good ECs. Hoping for a 29-31 on the MCAT.

My second question is about the personal statement for AMCAS. Anything we should specifically include in order to encompass what the ad com at VCU is looking for? For example, as a first generation latino, should I blend into my essay the fact that I want to work with immigrant latino populations and other low income communities?

Thanks! I really want to maximize my chances of securing an interview and acceptance :)

I know a current M3 at VCU that scored > 240 on step 1 who was accepted to VCU with a similar VR and cumulative score.

Music2doc,

I was curious: does how does VCU look at a low sub score?

I am a URM (first gen Mexican-American) female, ESL, with a bad verbal score.

(PS11, BS10, V6 [27])
I do have a good GPA- cGPA: 3.94, sGPA: 3.91.

I believe my LORs and ECs are strong and they are highly reflective of my desire to work with underserved communities. (I also considered myself both medically and financially disadvantaged on my application).

Would VCU automatically screen me out? I keep hearing here in SDN that that verbal probably killed all my chances at any MD school.

Hi everyone,

Is Dr. Constanzo still teaching at VCU School of Medicine? I read (or heard) somewhere that she retired?

I got into VCU and will most likely be attending this fall, and she's one of the main reasons I was so drawn to the school! If she really did retire, that would be sad. :(

Also, does anyone know of the average Step 1 scores in recent years for the medical school? Can someone also please clarify what entails the "strong boards prep"? Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Is Dr. Constanzo still teaching at VCU School of Medicine? I read (or heard) somewhere that she retired?

I got into VCU and will most likely be attending this fall, and she's one of the main reasons I was so drawn to the school! If she really did retire, that would be sad. :(

Yes, she is still there. She retired from her position as Assistant Dean. She and her husband both teach many lectures and Dr. Linda Costanzo teaches both M1 and M2 courses.

Also, does anyone know of the average Step 1 scores in recent years for the medical school? Can someone also please clarify what entails the "strong boards prep"? Thanks!

Last year, our average was 230 (0.3-0.5 SD above the median, placing our 50th percentile somewhere around the 70th nationally).

Yes, she is still there. She retired from her position as Assistant Dean. She and her husband both teach many lectures and Dr. Linda Costanzo teaches both M1 and M2 courses.

Last year, our average was 230 (0.3-0.5 SD above the median, placing our 50th percentile somewhere around the 70th nationally).

Thank you so much! Also, could you please let me know what the boards prep is like? I hear it being praised often in this forum, but I'm unclear as to how exactly it works. Is it just prep right before Step 1, or are there other components to the prep? Thanks again!

Hello! Good luck everyone!

It's also been very nice to read what everyone had written on this board so far.

EDIT: Oops. I said I got secondaries, that's not true. I just got a link with a website that helps me review my application status. :)

Application recieved.

Your application has been received by the VCU School of Medicine and now will began the process of evaluation. There will be a preliminary review of your application prior to a supplemental or secondary application being sent to you. Not all applicants are invited to complete a secondary application. Once the supplemental application is complete with fee, form, and permanent resident card, if applicable, a subcommittee will review it.

on the secondary, do they mean that the curable cancer can be cured by western medicine or alternative medicine? i'm so confused.

on the secondary, do they mean that the curable cancer can be cured by western medicine or alternative medicine? i'm so confused.

I know! I was not expecting this essay prompt!

Is it supposed to be what we would do now as students or in the future as physicians?

Last edited: