2013-2014 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any idea how it works with holding a spot at MSUCOM and being alternative listed here? Wayne is my number one choice, but money is getting due for MSUCOM and the alternative letter saying if you are enrolled in any other medical school they would remove you from the list. This has me worried. Anyone from past years reading this go through something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any idea how it works with holding a spot at MSUCOM and being alternative listed here? Wayne is my number one choice, but money is getting due for MSUCOM and the alternative letter saying if you are enrolled in any other medical school they would remove you from the list. This has me worried. Anyone from past years reading this go through something similar?

When you say "they would remove you from the list," are you referring to MSUCOM's letter talking about removing you or Wayne State's letter talking about removing you?

Your fine. I was in the same exact boat last year. I actually had already paid the deposit (1050?) and the orientation fees (500?) and was all set to go to MSUCOM. I was on the alternate list at wayne for a while. I was accepted around end of May though, literally few weeks before MSUCOM starts. So for those on the waitlist, dont completely give up! The waitlist/alternate moves tons at Wayne. The M.D schools won't know you are enrolled into a D.O, even after that May 15th deadline you are still eligible to be accepted. That is, up until you start at MSUCOM. I believe once you begin, I don't think you can be on the alternate list anymore. It is cutting it pretty close, but hang in there for a few more weeks! You never know, even if your accepted the day before MSUCOM starts, your still accepted! That's all that matters in the end. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was hoping some current students could answer a couple quick questions. I'm really torn between two programs right now (yes, still...) and would really appreciate it, :).

1. How often are exams during first and second year? (I believe it picks up the second year, correct?) Once a week? Once a month? How does that contribute to stress?

2. Is there internal ranking? How does that, plus the honors/pass/fail grading scheme, contribute to stress? Do most people strive to honor exams/courses? How difficult is honoring? What are the criteria? Is there a grade that is automatically honors or does only a certain percentage of the class honor?

I know there are a bunch of little questions there but I'd definitely be more than grateful for some answers, :).

Hello!

Exams first year are about once a month. There are two classes per unit (anatomy and histology is the first block, for example) and the exams are scheduled kind of around the same time as each other with some variation. Exams second year are every 2 weeks pretty much, also with variation. We had microbiology and pharmacology this year together to start the year, so we were getting an exam every Monday, but that exam schedule will change for the class of 2017. Once pathophysiology starts we are examined as often as that unit allows. So cardiovascular had a month for the unit, dermatology was one week long, etc. Also scattered throughout our schedule is physical diagnosis and some other ancillary requirements. Stress is pretty individual I would say. Consensus was that our schedule at the beginning of the year was pretty brutal (I am in second year, just in case you didn't know) but I didn't really start to feel real stressed out until our neuro unit, for whatever reason, which was about a month ago now.

We are ranked internally I suppose. First two years of school are on a H/P/F system and each course takes one standard deviation over the class mean to be the honor rate. Sometimes the honor rate is slightly less than that (few z score points below) but that is pretty much the benchmark. Honor rate is what you make of it. I have not had any negative interactions with any of my classmates, and am a pretty live and let live kind of person, so if someone is stressed out cus they want to honor stuff and works really hard accordingly, I don't really see how that affects me at all. I have not heard of any true "gunner" activities in my year, where people were trying to sabotage each other or anything like that. I do personally think it is difficult to honor stuff but it doesn't mean its impossible. But, personally, I have found that whenever I really put pressure on myself to honor a particular exam or block I tend to do worse because I am focusing on getting a particular grade instead of getting as much knowledge as possible and doing the best I can. A friend of mine goes to Michigan and while they are only pass fail in the first two years, they do have honors in third year (they have to come up with AOA list from something, right?). This is anecdotal of course, but he told me that the collegial atmosphere of Michigan tends to dissipate once honors come into the picture. At Wayne, everyone can honor clinical years if they really wanted (it's the reverse of the Michigan situation), because it is based on shelf exam score and clinical evaluations which theoretically everyone could totally knock out of the park. So to me it's just a different approach and Wayne is more known for its clinical years (than its pre-clinical curriculum) anyway.

EDIT: I wanted to add some stuff. You asked if most people try to honor courses. In a class of 290 people, it's tough to say if "most" people are doing anything. I would say that there are solid contingents of all kinds of people .. people who are fine with the pass, people who are rock solid in the middle no matter how much they study, people for whom honoring is no big thing, people who work their butts off to get that H on the transcript, people who totally slack off and do okay, people who work their butts off and barely squeak by. If you are trying to get a sense of the atmosphere at school, in my experience I would say that every class works a little differently. The personality of your class, no matter where you go, will be defined by the people in it including YOU, so you have at least some small part in the culture of the class. My attitude is that we are all in this together, and competing against each other doesn't really do anyone any good, so I try to live by that message and not be a d-bag to other people and pretty much try to support their efforts or at least don't cut anyone else down. Stress is real, though, and I am sure it abounds at different times at all medical schools regardless of how things are graded.

Last edited:
any current students willing to answer some questions? thank you!

Your fine. I was in the same exact boat last year. I actually had already paid the deposit (1050?) and the orientation fees (500?) and was all set to go to MSUCOM. I was on the alternate list at wayne for a while. I was accepted around end of May though, literally few weeks before MSUCOM starts. So for those on the waitlist, dont completely give up! The waitlist/alternate moves tons at Wayne. The M.D schools won't know you are enrolled into a D.O, even after that May 15th deadline you are still eligible to be accepted. That is, up until you start at MSUCOM. I believe once you begin, I don't think you can be on the alternate list anymore. It is cutting it pretty close, but hang in there for a few more weeks! You never know, even if your accepted the day before MSUCOM starts, your still accepted! That's all that matters in the end. Best of luck!

OK so I have paid the seat deposit, orientation fees, and done the fingerprinting at MSUCOM. I also have signed a lease (eek) but I have yet to call Wayne and say I want to be taken off the waitlist.. I keep saying that I am going to do it and just move forward with MSUCOM.. but something is holding me back. I want to go to Wayne. Bottom line. But, am I totally screwed signing a lease in East Lansing already? I don't even know if I would get into Wayne off the waitlist anyways since I interviewed so late in the game.. I have 27 MCAT, 3.7 GPA and 2000+ direct patient care hours.. I don't know what to do. I am torn. Probably was stupid to sign a lease, but I don't want to hold out if nothing comes my way acceptance wise. I feel so guilty as well for not being happy with an acceptance from MSUCOM. I know people would be so happy to be in my position. Advice?

OK so I have paid the seat deposit, orientation fees, and done the fingerprinting at MSUCOM. I also have signed a lease (eek) but I have yet to call Wayne and say I want to be taken off the waitlist.. I keep saying that I am going to do it and just move forward with MSUCOM.. but something is holding me back. I want to go to Wayne. Bottom line. But, am I totally screwed signing a lease in East Lansing already? I don't even know if I would get into Wayne off the waitlist anyways since I interviewed so late in the game.. I have 27 MCAT, 3.7 GPA and 2000+ direct patient care hours.. I don't know what to do. I am torn. Probably was stupid to sign a lease, but I don't want to hold out if nothing comes my way acceptance wise. I feel so guilty as well for not being happy with an acceptance from MSUCOM. I know people would be so happy to be in my position. Advice?

Go to MSU and enjoy the experience. EL is better than Detroit.

I interviewed late in March and was placed on the alternate list. I understand that applicants are ranked after their interviews but will never be told their rank. Does anyone know if it makes a difference when you were placed on the alternate list? For example, are alternate list applicants who interviewed in December more likely to move off the wait-list as spots open? Or are you moved off the wait-list based off your internal rank? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm in the office right now so please accept the shortness of this response but... THANK YOU! :)

I'm leaning toward attending WSU in the fall for a lot of reasons, but the grading (rather than straight pass/fail) has been intimidating me. I guess I feel like it adds pressure to honor and disappointment if not, but it's good to hear that it's manageable to succeed in the clinical rotations which are what seem to matter much more.

One more question (and it's a quick one this time, promise): Is there an elective rotation in M3? I don't see it written on the site (the curriculum over box, at least), but I think it might be showing just the required ones. Thanks! :)

I'm in the office right now so please accept the shortness of this response but... THANK YOU! :)

I'm leaning toward attending WSU in the fall for a lot of reasons, but the grading (rather than straight pass/fail) has been intimidating me. I guess I feel like it adds pressure to honor and disappointment if not, but it's good to hear that it's manageable to succeed in the clinical rotations which are what seem to matter much more.

One more question (and it's a quick one this time, promise): Is there an elective rotation in M3? I don't see it written on the site (the curriculum over box, at least), but I think it might be showing just the required ones. Thanks! :)
3rd year has 1 rotation to be used as an elective or vacation. Also, don't let the grading bother you too much. Even most P/F schools rank, which is the same as using H/P/F or A/B/C/D, imo

3rd year has 1 rotation to be used as an elective or vacation. Also, don't let the grading bother you too much. Even most P/F schools rank, which is the same as using H/P/F or A/B/C/D, imo

Great -- thanks!

Oh, and that's so true about the grading. Plus, I should work on coming to terms with not letting grades bother me too much regardless as long as I'm putting in the effort. (Well, and passing, of course.)

Ya keeping your sanity is a really important part of getting the most out of med school and not sweating how you measure up to your peers is certainly part of it. Maybe one day Wayne will be p/f but right now I don't think it's so bad cus it gives something to work for if your ego can handle the ups and downs. Like i've said before, I really like the counselors at school so if you come in knowing that you're intimidated by the grading and worried you will take your z score too personally, talk it through with your class counselor and you might be able to come up with some strategies. Relying on a solid group of supportive friends is a must and try to keep the people in your life who stress you out to a minimum. Do whatever you can to focus on what you need to do well, whatever that means for you. Sounds dumb or cheesy or whatever but if the goal is getting the most out of the med school experience that's how i would advise going about it.

Great -- thanks!

Oh, and that's so true about the grading. Plus, I should work on coming to terms with not letting grades bother me too much regardless as long as I'm putting in the effort. (Well, and passing, of course.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to MSU and enjoy the experience. EL is better than Detroit.

I haven't been on here in a while but that is probably the dumbest advice I have ever heard when figuring out a medical school. You should pick a medical school based on which one is the best fit for your personality, your career goals, and how well you think you will do there. Not based on some preconception about the city in which the medical school is located. I would be happy to talk more about the pros and cons of Wayne. Now, if you are interested more in rural/smaller town medicine over inner-city urban medicine, then go to MSU because you will get more of that. But that is because EL is different and not necessarily better or worse than Detroit and the focus is necessarily different between the schools.

Oh, and to say nothing of the fact that one of the 3 MSUCOM campuses is actually in Detroit, one block away from WSU. So again that sort of renders the "Go to MSU because EL is better than Detroit" argument moot, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:
I interviewed late in March and was placed on the alternate list. I understand that applicants are ranked after their interviews but will never be told their rank. Does anyone know if it makes a difference when you were placed on the alternate list? For example, are alternate list applicants who interviewed in December more likely to move off the wait-list as spots open? Or are you moved off the wait-list based off your internal rank? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
This. I interviewed on the last possible day last year and was accepted in June.

A lot of you ask about letters of intent. I went to the admissions office yesterday to ask about this and I wanted to pass along what they told me: admissions doesn't encourage nor discourage letters of intent. This means that they understand students want to write them to maybe ease some anxiety, but they don't make much of a difference (there's an exception which I will get to). Because people are basically accepted off of the admissions list in order, a letter of intent can't really bump you up out of your spot that much. HOWEVER, the closer it gets to orientation, the more a letter of intent can make a difference -- particularly for out of state students. Let's say that two people are ranked the same number on the admissions list: if there are only a few spots left to fill, a letter of intent can show the school who is going to actually be there for orientation in those final days.

Only one week to go. Who's excited?

Firstly, one week to go for what? 2 days to go for what? Doesn't waitlist movement start on May 15?

Question 2: I was looking through previous application threads for WSU and although the waitlist moved a lot last year, the 2011-2012 cycle was a bit of an anomaly. If you go back and check out the posts on that thread, very few people moved off the waitlist and then it kind of just abruptly stopped. Can anyone speak to this?

Thanks!

Firstly, one week to go for what? 2 days to go for what? Doesn't waitlist movement start on May 15?

Question 2: I was looking through previous application threads for WSU and although the waitlist moved a lot last year, the 2011-2012 cycle was a bit of an anomaly. If you go back and check out the posts on that thread, very few people moved off the waitlist and then it kind of just abruptly stopped. Can anyone speak to this?

Thanks!
I believe the 1 week referred to May 15th, its only 9 days away so closer to 1 week than 2. Only 2 days left and I'm done with first year and get to enjoy myself again. Can't speak to the waitlist movement though

Hello!

Couple more questions for the very helpful students here:

1. Are there any required textbooks? Any recommended ones most students have?
2. Is it necessary to bring a laptop to school (for either the big science lectures or the smaller clinical courses)? I'm trying to decide if I need something small and portable or something that will sit in my apartment all day.

Thank you!

If you look back a few pages i talk about some textbooks that i recommend. I can't remember what day it was or what page it's on but maybe middle of the thread. It was in answer to a question someone had about how much to take out for books in loans.

Laptop is certainly not necessary. Nothing is really necessary, actually. I recommend a tablet, though. I got mine as a gift before coming to school (ipad) and i use it every day. Very portable and you can download notes into pdf expert (the app i recommend for annotating notes if that's your thing). You can stream lectures and watch them at faster speeds using the unlimited downloads app (created by a current wayne state medical student). Pdf expert costs money, i think 10 bucks, but unlimited downloads is free. Some people have laptops but i see them far less frequently than tablets.

Hello!

2. Is it necessary to bring a laptop to school (for either the big science lectures or the smaller clinical courses)? I'm trying to decide if I need something small and portable or something that will sit in my apartment all day.

Thank you!

Hello!

Thank you!
I wouldn't buy many textbooks. Get an anatomy atlas, Netter's or Thieme (I recommend this one), a dissection guide, BRS physio, and first aid. Everything else can be found online through the school.

Get a quality laptop that will last the 4 yrs of med school. I have a Samsung, its heavy (~5lbs), and I take it everywhere . I haven't got a tablet yet, but I am thinking of getting one for next year. I have found that I get more from lecture if I pre-read and then just focus what the lecturer is saying instead of taking notes, so my laptop stays in my bag until I go to the library. Nobody uses a laptop in ClinMed and very few use tablets.

Wow, that was fast, thank you!

For the tablet recommendations...is a tablet really enough for a primary computing device? I'm used to 14-15" so I feel like staring at a 8-10" screen all day (and night?) might be a bit difficult for me. Not to mention the lack of a physical keyboard. But maybe I'm still in undergrad mode, and the long typed out notes of undergrad is not what happens in med school...

Thanks again!

For the tablet recommendations...is a tablet really enough for a primary computing device? I'm used to 14-15" so I feel like staring at a 8-10" screen all day (and night?) might be a bit difficult for me. Not to mention the lack of a physical keyboard. But maybe I'm still in undergrad mode, and the long typed out notes of undergrad is not what happens in med school...

Thanks again!
Everybody I know with a tablet has a laptop as well.

Thanks again!
A tablet doesn't replace a computer, but it can replace your paper notes. All the course-packs are available online as PDFs, so I download them to my I-pad and use it to take notes on. I use my laptop basically like a desktop, meaning I rarely take it out of my office at home, but still use it to stream lectures, e-mail, look things up online, etc. It is easier with two devices so you can follow the notes along on your tablet while you use your computer to stream/etc. You could get away with just using the school's computers, but they are not always available and it is more convenient to have your own computer. Some people use their i-pads to stream, but I am not sure if/how they take notes while watching lectures, if they take paper notes, etc. The tablet is great because you can replace the thousands of pages of course notes they give you with something you can take anywhere with you. I would have a box full of paper notes if I kept all the paper course packs, but since I have an i-pad, every unit's notes from the entire first two years are on a single device. I can't recommend getting a tablet for your notes strongly enough. You also can get a keyboard for your tablet, if you like typing notes as you study/stream better than writing them.

Quick Q - does the may 15 deadline mean that everyone on a waitlist will hear back by the end of May?

Quick Q - does the may 15 deadline mean that everyone on a waitlist will hear back by the end of May?
The most movement occurs May 15-16 and mid-June. After that its a crap shoot.

To the tablet/laptop info, thanks again--that was really helpful!!

No prob. I actually do think a tablet is enough as a primary computing device, but if you think you won't like it and would rather have a laptop... Well then use a a laptop. I have a laptop and a desktop computer and i use both of them far less than i thought i would -- i think i've actually used my laptop twice in two years. I do stream using my ipad and i follow along with lecture using paper notes. So.. If in the future they get rid of paper notes altogether (sometimes there's talk of this) maybe that's where a laptop will come in handy. You will figure out what works for you.

Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck to those on the wait list I was in your shoes last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck to those on the wait list I was in your shoes last year.

Much appreciated - are you In State or Out Of State? Think it might be important for waitlisters since I believe there are separate lists for IS and OOS students.

Withdrew my acceptance today from Wayne. OOS. Best of luck to those still waiting and hope you get the news soon!

Looking forward to joining Wayne's class, and meeting all of you there. For future applicants, and those making up their minds, the following was sent to me by a friend who recently matched into ER about his WSUSOM experience:

"Like the most: Very strong clinically. Located in Detroit, so there is a lot of need and so much opportunity for volunteer work, starting your own volunteer organization, etc (I co-started an org [redacted]). The city itself is really exciting - a lot of new things going on here, and more and more people moving here. It’s no Chicago in terms of things to do, but you do feel like you’re part of a big movement and develop a lot of pride for the area.

Like the least: Still a lot of issues to fix from administration. Students complain often of scores that are oddly calculated, having paper tests, outdated questions, not fully knowing about certain important dates. That being said, the school has made *major* changes. Things that we complained about as 1st and 2nd years (I’m a 4th year) are no longer even issues for 1st and 2nd years. Newly hired administration is listening to everything the students have to say, and I believe the 1st and 2nd years have a completely different experience. Really, I think they’ve made strides. Another issue - 3rd year campus - it’s a lottery. I got my 2nd to last choice (ended up at Oakwood instead of Receiving or Henry Ford). Thing is… I ended up loving Oakwood. No one hates their clinical experience (ok very few people… but it’s not dependent on campus).

Research: It’s not emphasized, but it is so easy to get research here. There are some really big name faculty in Detroit Receiving and Henry Ford who can hook you up with almost anything you want to get research in.

Community: Apparently it jumps year to year, haha. The year above and the year below me are known as crazy partiers. Current 1st years are known as a little more hardcore into studying. The student community is great though - about half live in Detroit, half in the Royal Oak area. 1st year, you will get to know a lot of your classmates as everyone goes out, and you’re all in anatomy lab together. 2nd year, people start hanging in smaller groups, but thats the same for every school. Talking with others, I believe we have a closer class that many other schools. We also just had a halloween party with over 500 people there. There are SO MANY student groups here, along with intramural sports. I did football, floor hockey, volleyball my 1st yr.

Against other schools: Clinical training. We get down and dirty in Detroit and get to do a lot of procedures. We’re known for being a good clinical campus.

Factors to consider: You have the best chances to match in residency in the cities where you’re at in school. I’m doing ER, and would love to practice in Detroit. Most people have no issues getting interviews all over America though."

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone direct me to the match lists for 2013 or 2014? I can't find them anywhere and need to make a decision soon.

Can anyone direct me to the match lists for 2013 or 2014? I can't find them anywhere and need to make a decision soon.

They aren't posted online anymore and I don't want to provide the entire thing because of that. If you look back a page or two, I posted some of the highlights. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about either match list.

We got an email sometime after match day saying that it came to the administrations attention that people were distributing a match list with "other academic information included." Even with the names removed, there's enough personal identifying information for people to be concerned and they told us to delete that circulating email (which i never got). That was enough for me to hesitate before distributing any match list stuff the school gave us. If that's really what your decision is hinging on, I suggest you call student affairs at 313-577-1463 to see if there's a list they don't mind distributing to people.

After a lot of soul-searching, I just withdrew my spot. Really loved the school and Detroit is a fantastic area to get a medical education. OOS. Good luck, waitlisters!

One day left! Good luck to all on the waitlist.

Are there really two separate waitlists? One for OOS and one for in-state?

Last edited:
Called admissions and they said they are going to release the wave of waitlist-acceptances next week -- most likely on Monday or Tuesday -- as opposed to the traditional May 15/16th offers. Best of luck everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users
Called admissions and they said they are going to release the wave of waitlist-acceptances next week -- most likely on Monday or Tuesday -- as opposed to the traditional May 15/16th offers. Best of luck everyone!!

Thanks a lot for that information!

Wayne pulls a majority of their class (75-80 percent year to year) from in-state applicants so they do keep two separate lists for admissions depending on residency status. Not doing this, i reckon, would run the risk of tipping that percentage balance they aim for with in state applicants.

Are there really two separate waitlists? One for OOS and one for in-state?

Wayne pulls a majority of their class (75-80 percent year to year) from in-state applicants so they do keep two separate lists for admissions depending on residency status. Not doing this, i reckon, would run the risk of tipping that percentage balance they aim for with in state applicants.
Well I hope a lot of OOS applicants withdraw their acceptances!

I was just notified by email of an acceptance off the waitlist. :) I am a Canadian student, so I'm not sure if there is a separate list for us vs. OOS

I was just notified by email of an acceptance off the waitlist. :) I am a Canadian student, so I'm not sure if there is a separate list for us vs. OOS
Congrats playa!

I also was just taken off the waitlist. I'm in-state and interviewed mid-March. I've been planning on going to MSU CHM so now I'm not sure but I'm kind of leaning away from WSU. I'm a nontraditional student without the strongest science background, so I'm really nervous about doing well. MSU seems to have more academic support programs and a smaller class size might mean more attention? I was placed in Lansing though and am really not excited about that. Hmm. What to do.

Hey snarkie and okokok, do you guys mind posting your stats? OOS student really hoping for a spot!

Just like GPA/MCAT/ec's/how you felt about interview/and interview date if you guys don't mind!

Accepted! This is going to be a tough choice between here and OUWB.