2013-2014 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Scared and hopeful!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it right at 2 or before 2?

2 pm at the latest. Quote from the paper given during the interview day:

"Applicants will be notified via e-mail no later than 2:00 p.m. EST on the above dates of a decision regarding their application."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I received an interview invite today. I am very thankful for this opportunity as it's finally some progress after so much effort.

I am a Canadian citizen and Wayne is my top choice of school in US.

I would like to ask those who have attended an interview this cycle or any current medical students at Wayne if you guys could give me some insight into the interview.

Is the interview the traditional type? Approximate duration of the interview? Any advice or tips? Any particular areas to focus on or practice?

I will appreciate any guidance you guys can provide.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
They told us when we should expect to hear from them at our interviews. There are 6, maybe 7 dates when they will give out acceptances, etc:

10/23/13
11/27/13
12/18/13
1/29/14
2/26/14
2/26/14
if needed 5/7/14

Thanks a ton for this!

However, what about interviews? Are these spread out between these dates?

Thanks a ton for this!

Yeah. I'm not sure how often they have them. Mine was on a Monday, anybody else have a different day? They only gave me one date option when I got offered.

Hi everyone,

I received an interview invite today. I am very thankful for this opportunity as it's finally some progress after so much effort.

I would like to ask those who have attended an interview this cycle or any current medical students at Wayne if you guys could give me some insight into the interview.

Is the interview the traditional type? Approximate duration of the interview? Any advice or tips? Any particular areas to focus on or practice?

Holy cow don't make Wayne ur top choice.......just because they take a lot of Canadians does not mean it's a good school to be at.

Thanks a ton for this!

Yeah, my interview was on a Monday as well. From what I understand, decisions go out based on all those that were interviewed prior to one of the decision dates listed above.

GOOD LUCK TODAY EVERYONE!!!!!! FINGERS CROSSED :)

Hi everyone,

Check for a PM today, :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The timing on SDN in not EST; but Wayne says they email around 2 p.m. EST, so we should have a few more hours probably.

The admission committee actually decided your fates this morning. The meetings are held the morning the decisions come out.

Hi everyone,

When were you complete?

Accepted! So happy for this one! :) (And was extremely nervous opening that email attachment.)

Holy cow don't make Wayne ur top choice.......just because they take a lot of Canadians does not mean it's a good school to be at.

That's not why Wayne is my top choice. Nowhere did I say that.

Accepted !!!! cant believe im going to medicine next year wow ...

Does anyone know what average we need to maintain in our final year of undergrad? I'm not expecting to do bad, but I am taking extra courses this year and am wondering if I'm under pressure to overachieve or not

alternate list :(

I'm really, really bummed.

Hey guys,

What's the difference between alternate list and wait list?

Does anyone know what average we need to maintain in our final year of undergrad? I'm not expecting to do bad, but I am taking extra courses this year and am wondering if I'm under pressure to overachieve or not

I had a friend last year that got a few B's/C's and had no problem with Wayne. I think for the most part, as long as you pass, you should be OK?

Alternate list- here goes my top med school choice
:(

Accepted, 3.86, 34, IS
Congrats to everyone else!

Hey guys,

What's the difference between alternate list and wait list?
Semantics. For Wayne, alternate list = waitlist.

For those who didn't get in this round... keep in mind that it may have nothing to do with your stats/etc. Wayne does their waitlist weird. Because they admit 1/7 of a class (or whatever) per month, being put on the waitlist might mean that you're in, but they already had their 1/7th admitted, and are just waiting for another month for space to open up to smooth out the number of admits (i.e. if they let you in in October, you would make it 1/7+1 admits so you get waitlisted, but say come December they have only admitted 1/7 -3, so they pull 3 from the waitlist including you). People on the waitlist do get in on subsequent decision dates... not everybody waits for May or whatever. It is not like places where if you're on the waitlist, they give offers to everybody else first and then you hear only if offers have been turned down.

That may be an explanation for some of you, especially those with stats above Wayne's average who are wondering why you didn't get in immediately. That said, for others it may also be a long wait until May (or late July...) until you hear. Unfortunately you don't have any way of knowing your position. Sorry.

Hope this helps explain things.

For those who were accepted, first congratulations, and second, what's the deadline for letting them know whether or not you accept their offer?

Semantics. For Wayne, alternate list = waitlist.

For those who didn't get in this round... keep in mind that it may have nothing to do with your stats/etc. Wayne does their waitlist weird. Because they admit 1/7 of a class (or whatever) per month, being put on the waitlist might mean that you're in, but they already had their 1/7th admitted, and are just waiting for another month for space to open up to smooth out the number of admits (i.e. if they let you in in October, you would make it 1/7+1 admits so you get waitlisted, but say come December they have only admitted 1/7 -3, so they pull 3 from the waitlist including you). People on the waitlist do get in on subsequent decision dates... not everybody waits for May or whatever. It is not like places where if you're on the waitlist, they give offers to everybody else first and then you hear only if offers have been turned down.

That may be an explanation for some of you, especially those with stats above Wayne's average who are wondering why you didn't get in immediately. That said, for others it may also be a long wait until May (or late July...) until you hear. Unfortunately you don't have any way of knowing your position. Sorry.

Hope this helps explain things.

Thanks for this!

I think we have 3 weeks?

Thanks, ANATOMYgirl22, and congratulations on your acceptance! You must be very excited (certainly I would be excited if accpeted to Wayne State).

What if you're still waiting to hear back from other schools? Is there a way you can reserve your spot past three weeks?

Thanks, ANATOMYgirl22, and congratulations on your acceptance! You must be very excited (certainly I would be excited if accpeted to Wayne State).

What if you're still waiting to hear back from other schools? Is there a way you can reserve your spot past three weeks?

Thanks! I'm super pumped :D and the deposit does let you hold a spot past three weeks, but you need to pay the $50 by then to reserve a spot until the end of app season (when you make a final decision)

hope that helps

Thanks! I'm super pumped :D and the deposit does let you hold a spot past three weeks, but you need to pay the $50 by then to reserve a spot until the end of app season (when you make a final decision)

hope that helps

Oh, ok, $50 isn't such a big deal. Thanks for the info and good luck with the rest of your applications.

How do you know its 3 weeks? For me, it said we get an acceptance package in the mail

How do you know its 3 weeks? For me, it said we get an acceptance package in the mail

I thought I read it somewhere, but now I can't find it. Maybe one of the students mentioned it during interview day? Don't remember for sure where I heard it :oops:

and now I'm paranoid that I'm giving out false information. Sorry if that is the case.

Last edited:
Current students also said not to be surprised if any OOS applicants are put on the hold list at first.

Congrats to everyone accepted! And to second what has already been said, Wayne accepts a lot of students off the wait list, so don't be discouraged if you are on there at the moment.

Accepted as well! Also, I'm a bit confused about the deposit. Is there a way to send it in without getting the acceptance package in the mail? I'm not going to be home for a while and I don't want to miss that 3 week window.

Accepted as well! Also, I'm a bit confused about the deposit. Is there a way to send it in without getting the acceptance package in the mail? I'm not going to be home for a while and I don't want to miss that 3 week window.

Call the admissions office and ask them. They are helpful, and should be able to tell you whether you need to get the money in before you get home, or if you can simply send it when you have the chance.