2013-2014 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in Yale School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words.

[OPTIONAL] This section should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Secondary Application. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh this is crazy, since freshman year I have been reading these school specific discussions and this summer I will finally be apart of them.

Hey all! I'll be an incoming MS1 come fall. Please feel free to PM/post any questions and I'll try my best to answer with my limited knowledge base. :)

Hey all! I'll be an incoming MS1 come fall. Please feel free to PM/post any questions and I'll try my best to answer with my limited knowledge base. :)

+1! Being an MS1 means I actually know very little about the nitty gritty details of the school at the moment, but I promise to do what I can. :)

Thank you for your time and help.

What are pros and cons of Yale, besides Yale System?

What have you heard in terms of clinical experiences for MS3? How are the volume and diversity of patients?

How are schedules like? Are afternoons mostly open like the schedule at Case?

What does Yale look for particularly in applicants, if any?

Describe your interview experiences at Yale.

How easy and encouraging is Yale in terms of doing research as MS1?

Thanks for your questions! I won't be able to answer the MS3 one (since I have so few data points), but I have a good idea about the rest of them.

What are pros and cons of Yale, besides Yale System?

For the record, I think the primary aspect of Yale that applicants should consider revolves around the Yale System. The first question you should ask is whether you've been craving an unprecedented level of freedom and independence in crafting your medical education. Some people thrive in this sort of environment (like myself!), while others feel like they need more structure to do well. Your answer to this should be your first (and most significant) consideration. Otherwise:

Pros:

The most important ones for me are the small class size (100 students), optional tuition-free 5th year for research or dual-degree programs, MASSIVE international health opportunities, established free clinic, and the fact that the medical curriculum makes it a point to make all of the other resources in other departments available to you. I'm someone interested in developing medical devices for the underserved, so the flexibility, mentorship, and resources offered are exactly what I need.

This might also be helpful:

http://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/education/63955_med_100805_web.pdf

Cons:

Cold. Cold cold cold cold cold. I'm from places where there are only two seasons (summer and hotter summer), so I freely admit that the snow will be an adjustment. There are also comments about how there are parts of New Haven that experience higher crime rates, which can be a concern for some students (although will be an issue if you go to any medical school in an urban area).

How are schedules like? Are afternoons mostly open like the schedule at Case?

So for us, we'll get about 3 afternoons completely free a week for the preclinical years. I've heard (unofficially, someone will need to check me on this) that for you guys, they'll be shifting to a 1.5 preclinical + 2.5 clinical model like Columbia/Penn, and I'm not familiar with whether that will change what the schedule looks like.

What does Yale look for particularly in applicants, if any?

Fit for the Yale System. Obviously you have to be academically capable and well-rounded, but you have to demonstrate a certain extra level of independence. Use the "Why Yale?" question to your advantage! I'm confident that's what got me my interview.

Describe your interview experiences at Yale.

Most relaxed interview experience of my cycle, hands down. There were something like 12 interviewees my day. You arrive in the morning, meet with Director Silverman, and get your interview packets. We sat in on a medical ethics class for an hour, which was wonderfully fascinating. This is also your chance to get candid feedback about Yale from current students you meet during the class. There's a financial aid/curriculum talk in the morning, you have lunch with a faculty member, and there's a student-led tour of campus.

There are two interviews (1hr each) either at the end of the day or sprinkled between the morning (11-ish) and the afternoon if you have flight schedule constraints like I did. As with any interview, every experience is different, but I can say that mine were as relaxed and conversational as they could possibly be. Neither of mine elected to take any notes, and we just talked. It was wonderful. One heard me talk about my interests and offered to get me in touch with a faculty member, and she followed-up the next day!

How easy and encouraging is Yale in terms of doing research as MS1?

I'll be able to give you a better answer in a few months, but I will leave an anecdote my student interviewer shared with me. She is currently a 3rd year (taking time off after 2nd preclinical year to do a PhD at Yale), but she took complete advantage of the curriculum's flexibility to pursue her interests in research as an MS1. She basically just didn't attend classes and spent all of her time in lab, pumping out multiple publications her first year. She got back into gear, buckled down during the Step 1 study period, and still dominated boards.

Obviously this doesn't mean you have to do this level of research as an MS1, but it suggests to me that it's enormously easy to get involved.

Last edited:
Secondary prompts. Same as last year:
Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in Yale School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words.

[OPTIONAL] This section should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Secondary Application. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary here too. What is the consensus on the optional essay? I'm leaning against given that they already have a "why Yale?", but I figure a diversity essay might be appropriate.

And what are people feeling about the 500 words on the "why Yale?" essay? Seems long. I assume that half of that would suffice without appearing lazy.

In secondary E-mail:

In beginning:
"Thank you for applying..."

In the end:
"Thank you again!"

Right afterwards:
"Thank you once again for applying..."

lol I like Yale already ;)

should I even bother trying to submit if my primary isn't verified?

Hi guys, quick question.

What's Yale's policy on LOI?

Last edited:
Secondary here too. What is the consensus on the optional essay? I'm leaning against given that they already have a "why Yale?", but I figure a diversity essay might be appropriate.

And what are people feeling about the 500 words on the "why Yale?" essay? Seems long. I assume that half of that would suffice without appearing lazy.

Just submitted! I've skipped the (optional) additional information questions on basically every secondary thus far, but for some reason I felt compelled to include my diversity essay for Yale's secondary :cool:

should I even bother trying to submit if my primary isn't verified?

I've decided to work on secondaries in the order I get them & submit when I'm ready. I expect this to be before I'm verified but I'm also assuming that until that happens, the 1-2 week window people talk about for getting secondaries in is irrelevant.

Basically I'm doing what I can to get things out of the way but presuming there's no clock hanging over my head.

I got the Yale secondary today.

On the secondary, where do you think pubs should go--'activities' or 'achievements and distinctions'? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Also, I had to answer 'no' to the question about whether or not I've completed the premed requirements because my last one is in this upcoming fall semester--do you think that will hurt me? I hope not...I'm only taking it because it isn't on my undergrad transcript due to going straight to the second semester class. :(

Last edited:
On the secondary, where do you think pubs should go--'activities' or 'achievements and distinctions'? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Also, I had to answer 'no' to the question about whether or not I've completed the premed requirements because my last one is in this upcoming fall semester--do you think that will hurt me? I hope not...I'm only taking it because it isn't on my undergrad transcript due to going straight to the second semester class. :(

1. Last year, I put my pubs in the activities section. I don't think it really matters to be honest.

2. I was taking one of my prereqs when I was interviewing so I think you're fine. :)

In that section where you can upload abstracts and misc. documents -

(1) Is it OK to put an abstract for a manuscript?

(2) Is it OK to clip news articles I've been featured in, or would that just be unnecessary?

1. Last year, I put my pubs in the activities section. I don't think it really matters to be honest.

2. I was taking one of my prereqs when I was interviewing so I think you're fine. :)

Thanks for the reassurance! Yale is probably my top choice right now, so fingers crossed :)

Just got the complete email!

For the activities section, is it better to include exact months instead of just years? For example, putting 9/2012-5/2013 instead of 2012-2013? The examples they listed only showed years, but instructions say to put "actual dates".

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but curious to know what others did.

For the activities section, is it better to include exact months instead of just years? For example, putting 9/2012-5/2013 instead of 2012-2013? The examples they listed only showed years, but instructions say to put "actual dates".

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but curious to know what others did.

I don't think it's that important since everything should be in your primary but I did Month, Year - Month, Year.

Thanks for the reassurance! Yale is probably my top choice right now, so fingers crossed :)

Awesome! Yale was my top choice as well. Hope to see you at interview day. :)

First comment on SDN! :) With all these "Why _______" essays, Yale's was definitely the easiest to write. Best of luck to everyone applying. If only we could all go here.

First comment on SDN! :) With all these "Why _______" essays, Yale's was definitely the easiest to write. Best of luck to everyone applying. If only we could all go here.

Maybe we can :D

We should all meet up at BAR. It's right across the street.

Getting awfully cocky in here... :)

Strong words coming from someone with big enough cajones to put an angel in his/her avatar. That which holds the image...

My interview here was just a really long staring contest. :)

Hey all,

What do you think qualifies an "Academic / Research Position?" I have had some definitive research positions, but I don't know if, say, being a tutor is necessarily an academic position.

I am applying MD/PhD so I'm considering including it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

For the guy who said its getting cocky in here. Stop being a troll. Nothing's wrong with saying we will meet up when we all get in. (Yes its unlikely we will all get in) but It's important to have faith during this process.

For the guy who said its getting cocky in here. Stop being a troll. Nothing's wrong with saying we will meet up when we all get in. (Yes its unlikely we will all get in) but It's important to have faith during this process.

I think everything was in good fun ;) But yes, I agree; it's definitely important to keep positive the throughout the inevitable ups and downs.

Ah sorry, definitely was not trying to troll, just some light hearted banter. :)
I'll be trying to be as helpful as possible for you guys this cycle.

Hey all,

What do you think qualifies an "Academic / Research Position?" I have had some definitive research positions, but I don't know if, say, being a tutor is necessarily an academic position.

I am applying MD/PhD so I'm considering including it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Wondering the same thing. What qualifies as an "academic" position?

Ah sorry, definitely was not trying to troll, just some light hearted banter. :)
I'll be trying to be as helpful as possible for you guys this cycle.

I appreciate it. And wasn't bothered by your comment at all. But then, I'm surviving this process mostly on morbid humor.

It's a little nerve-wracking to have gotten Yale's secondary so early when it's so important to me! It'll be the second one I submit. eeeep.

I appreciate it. And wasn't bothered by your comment at all. But then, I'm surviving this process mostly on morbid humor.

It's a little nerve-wracking to have gotten Yale's secondary so early when it's so important to me! It'll be the second one I submit. eeeep.

I hope it works out!