2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I personally haven't ever heard of anyone counting teaching hours toward your contact/intervention hours, and don't see how that could really be justified, given that the AAPI instructions specify that these hours must occur in the presence of an identifiable client. I actually don't know if I included teaching hours anywhere on my AAPI. The only exception I could see is if that teaching was actually instruction/training of a fellow graduate student (e.g., helping to teach a new grad student how to administer a particular measure).

Makes sense - the course I am teaching now is contact/intervention as it's dealing with career issues (administering and interpreting assessments, career advising, etc). I had never thought of my other experience as contact, but was just making sure that I hadn't missed something along the way. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Makes sense - the course I am teaching now is contact/intervention as it's dealing with career issues (administering and interpreting assessments, career advising, etc). I had never thought of my other experience as contact, but was just making sure that I hadn't missed something along the way. Thanks for your input!

Yeah, you could possibly count this in the group of activities where it asks about supervisory-like experiences you've had. But as for intervention hours, given that the students in the class weren't your clients in a therapeutic sense, I wouldn't say you missed out by not counting it.

Pretty quiet thread... how's everybody doing in the process?

I have my list pared down, and I'm starting to work on cover letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same thing! Well, I've been focusing on finalizing my dissertation proposal (proposal is 10/1), so I'm behind. But my list is pared down, I'm nagging letter writers, & working on essays. Not much longer until this process will be in full swing!

I have my list of sites, and I'm working on essays now... got a bit stuck on Essay 1, so I started with the others. I'm also starting to go through my assessment reports to see which ones I'll submit as my work samples.

By when do internship sites usually update their program brochures/websites? A good number of sites I'm planning on applying to still haven't updated their info. I assume not too much will change regarding rotations, but it's still nice to know for sure.

My list is pared down, essays are in good shape, requests for letters are out, drafts for some cover letters are done. I hate cover letters.

I have my list of sites, and I'm working on essays now... got a bit stuck on Essay 1, so I started with the others. I'm also starting to go through my assessment reports to see which ones I'll submit as my work samples.

By when do internship sites usually update their program brochures/websites? A good number of sites I'm planning on applying to still haven't updated their info. I assume not too much will change regarding rotations, but it's still nice to know for sure.

I'm also a bit stuck on essay 1. I have a good start to it, but I don't really know how to take it. I've kinda just been putting it on the back burner, and focusing on my dissertation proposal (to be defended shortly!).

When are you guys planning on requesting letters of rec from APPIC? I already notified my letter writers and everything, but I don't want to send the APPIC email too early. I'm thinking in a week or two.

Other than that... I need to really get started writing cover letters and editing my essays. I'd love to go straight from my proposal defense to clicking "submit" on applications. :laugh:.

It's not too early to ask for recommendations and send that APPIC email. Feel free to send it whenever you are ready.

Things kick into high gear shortly, so I am once again wishing you all the best of luck and an official, "I know what it's like!" as others outside of the field will not necessarily understand your stress :)

I'm also a bit stuck on essay 1. I have a good start to it, but I don't really know how to take it. I've kinda just been putting it on the back burner, and focusing on my dissertation proposal (to be defended shortly!).

When are you guys planning on requesting letters of rec from APPIC? I already notified my letter writers and everything, but I don't want to send the APPIC email too early. I'm thinking in a week or two.

Other than that... I need to really get started writing cover letters and editing my essays. I'd love to go straight from my proposal defense to clicking "submit" on applications. :laugh:.

Yeah, same. I have some ideas for Essay 1 floating around in my head, but I guess I'm just not that comfortable writing "creatively." I much prefer the straightforwardness of Essays 2-4. Go figure.

I've already requested LOR from the AAPI portal. I figured there was no harm in doing it sooner rather than later.

I was wondering about number of sites to apply to. I have about 16 sites but they are all APA. It's not that I don't want to include non-APA, but none of them seem interesting. If I do apply to any of them, I will sure be stretching it.

I'm being told also that 11-15 is good. However, I'm being urged by my dept. to apply to north of 20

Ideas on either of these topics?

I was wondering about number of sites to apply to. I have about 16 sites but they are all APA. It's not that I don't want to include non-APA, but none of them seem interesting. If I do apply to any of them, I will sure be stretching it.

I'm being told also that 11-15 is good. However, I'm being urged by my dept. to apply to north of 20

I'm planning on applying to 15 sites, all APA. My department strongly encourages APA-accredited internships, and for post-docs and such, I want APA. I realize it makes matching more difficult, but for me, it seems worth it.

They do charge more for any application > 15, so that's a consideration. APA/APPIC recommends 11-15, and has graphs and stuff that show applying to more does not increase your chance of matching. I don't think >20 is necessary at all... I also find it hard to believe you'd be a perfect match at 25 programs.

Also keep in mind... if every site offered you an interview, you'd be unable to go to all of them (or you'd spend a crap-ton of money doing so).

I don't think I really answered your question at all heh. Personally, applying to only 10-11 sites would make me nervous, since the process has gotten so competitive. I'd say 13-17 is probably best. I haven't really found that many sites that really get me excited, so I'm staying with 14-15.

I'm planning on applying to 15 sites, all APA. My department strongly encourages APA-accredited internships, and for post-docs and such, I want APA. I realize it makes matching more difficult, but for me, it seems worth it.

They do charge more for any application > 15, so that's a consideration. APA/APPIC recommends 11-15, and has graphs and stuff that show applying to more does not increase your chance of matching. I don't think >20 is necessary at all... I also find it hard to believe you'd be a perfect match at 25 programs.

Also keep in mind... if every site offered you an interview, you'd be unable to go to all of them (or you'd spend a crap-ton of money doing so).

I don't think I really answered your question at all heh. Personally, applying to only 10-11 sites would make me nervous, since the process has gotten so competitive. I'd say 13-17 is probably best. I haven't really found that many sites that really get me excited, so I'm staying with 14-15.
True!..you did though..really I'm just wondering what every one else is doing! haha I am going to shoot for 18. I think one isn't apa. I think I'm just nervous because they are all a specific area of interest.

at the moment I am at 57, I think I need to take that down a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Transcript question:

So does APPIC need both my undergrad and graduate transcripts??? Do all the sites need these as well? Thanks!

Chris

Nope, APPIC only wants graduate transcripts. But I have seen at least one site that asks for undergraduate transcripts in their supplemental materials.

Based on my interactions with friends in my (now former) program, which has been notoriously conservative with respect to quantity of applications sent out, the numbers do seem to be increasing. Just a few years ago, I'd hazard a guess that the average probably hovered around 8-10, whereas now it's likely closer to 15.

I personally applied to 17 (if I'm remembered correctly) with one of those sites later withdrawing from the match. Thus, I'd say anywhere from 15-19 is probably a decent number; more than that can get expensive and may not necessarily increase your odds of matching very much.

Anyone know how are you supposed to log assessment feedback sessions on time2track?

Nope, APPIC only wants graduate transcripts. But I have seen at least one site that asks for undergraduate transcripts in their supplemental materials.
Only graduate ones. Any one know what to do if your undergraduate and graduate transcripts are combined? I did undergrad and grad work at the same university (different programs), and the university is refusing to separate out the two transcripts.

anyone as exhausted and anxious as I am? holy moly i feel very overwhelmed and I keep up with T2T, CV, and all that stuff...

Only graduate ones. Any one know what to do if your undergraduate and graduate transcripts are combined? I did undergrad and grad work at the same university (different programs), and the university is refusing to separate out the two transcripts.
I think in that instance there is nothing you can do if the university is refusing to separate them. I doubt APPIC will do it once it is submitted but hey, with the new policies they might. Not too sure. BUT try to stick to the new policies as much as possible, you don't want to lose a site on that kind of technicality. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

We got an email from Match News about supplementary materials (including undergraduate transcripts):

2. The only supplemental materials that may be requested by internship programs or submitted by internship applicants are:
a. A treatment or case summary.
b. A psychological evaluation report.

3. No additional application materials should be requested of applicants at any time during the application and selection process, including testing protocols, additional essay questions, transcripts of therapy sessions, video/audiotapes, and undergraduate transcripts (though these will often be included with graduate transcripts for students who attend the same university). Applicants are not allowed to send any prohibited application materials to sites, even if requested to do so.

4. All clinical material submitted to internship programs must have identifying information redacted according to HIPAA guidelines.

http://hipaa.wisc.edu/ResearchGuide/deidentification.html

5. Any requests for materials other than the materials outlined above (#2) should be reported immediately to the graduate Director of Clinical Training and to APPIC via the Informal Problem Consultation service. APPIC will then follow-up with sites, without identifying the student or graduate program, to provide education and to request compliance with the policy.

In addition to the number of sites that you're applying to, how many "backups" or "safeties" are you guys applying to?

I think I'm pretty set on 17 APA-sites, with two backups. I'm a little worried that I have too many competitive programs on my list... so I was wondering if anyone was in the same boat.

We got an email from Match News about supplementary materials (including undergraduate transcripts):

2. The only supplemental materials that may be requested by internship programs or submitted by internship applicants are:
a. A treatment or case summary.
b. A psychological evaluation report.

3. No additional application materials should be requested of applicants at any time during the application and selection process, including testing protocols, additional essay questions, transcripts of therapy sessions, video/audiotapes, and undergraduate transcripts (though these will often be included with graduate transcripts for students who attend the same university). Applicants are not allowed to send any prohibited application materials to sites, even if requested to do so.

4. All clinical material submitted to internship programs must have identifying information redacted according to HIPAA guidelines.

http://hipaa.wisc.edu/ResearchGuide/deidentification.html

5. Any requests for materials other than the materials outlined above (#2) should be reported immediately to the graduate Director of Clinical Training and to APPIC via the Informal Problem Consultation service. APPIC will then follow-up with sites, without identifying the student or graduate program, to provide education and to request compliance with the policy.

I find this interesting since I had removed several sites from my list (before removing myself from the application process this year) because (a) they required undergraduate transcripts (there were more than a few of the suckers, and (b) a couple of sites that required additional essays (more common), although there was one site that I explicitly recall required an audiotaped recording of a therapy session.

A good chunk of my undergraduate record will likely be submitted immediately whether I want it or not when the time comes as, like one of the above posters, my last undergrad institution was identical to where I received my master's. Not overly concerned about it if they are unable to separate my undergrad and grad school records. However, I also have undergrad transcripts that I would have to order from two other universities; not worth the time/hassle (regardless of whether or not they're "allowed").

It would be nice if they get this figured out by the time I get around to applying though, so maybe I can add those sites back to the application list--although that does make my decision process even more difficult for the final umpteen to which to apply. :D

I have seen a couple of posts about lists. I have a giant list that is ridiculous, but I have a handful that are killing me that have crappy or too generic materials, and I would love information from current applicants on what they have heard in their departments and maybe prior interns on sites. I am researching thoroughly but would love personalized information. This is much more fun than writing essays.

If anyone has general thoughts that they can share on the board or via PM on these, let me know. ANY info would be helpful - including if you just know about the location, cost of living. I will be moving with husband and 2 young children on a modest but decent income. Also, I have only lived in the Southeast and Colorado and California, never North East or Midwest. My interests are fairly varied, but physical and sexual trauma is a common thread of clinical and research interests.

- Portland VA
- Columbia VA Consortium, Columbia, MO
- UT Health Sciences Center, San Antonio, TX
- Tulane, New Orleans, LA
- Bay Pines, VA, Bay Pines, FL
- Colorado School of Family Medicine, Denver/Aurora, CO
- Reading Hospital, Reading PA
- Salt Lake City VA

I am also applying to 17 sites, many of which are competitive. If anything I've received a lot of encouragement from psychologists and interns who successfully navigated the process that it is important to focus on applying to the places that really fit your interests, and not applying to sites out of desperation or fear of not matching. I'm taking the perspective of staying mindful and in the present moment, focusing more on conveying that message than worrying if these sites are "too competitive," etc.

I hope that perspective helps!

Anyone know how are you supposed to log assessment feedback sessions on time2track?

Remember, do the best you can with logging your hours. Don't get yourself worried that internship training directors will be going over these with a fine toothed comb. Just be honest and do the best job you can categorizing your experiences.

At the APA convention they presented data from the past several years demonstrating that people that apply to over 20 sites are actually a little less likely to match than people who apply in the 11-15 or 16-19 categories (which were almost the same).

...just something to think about. After hearing that presentation, I CUT my list.

At the APA convention they presented data from the past several years demonstrating that people that apply to over 20 sites are actually a little less likely to match than people who apply in the 11-15 or 16-19 categories (which were almost the same).

...just something to think about. After hearing that presentation, I CUT my list.
I highly doubt the relationship is causal, most likely just correlational. I can see that too many apps will water down the quality of each app but that is about the only causal link I can think of right now.

I highly doubt the relationship is causal, most likely just correlational. I can see that too many apps will water down the quality of each app but that is about the only causal link I can think of right now.

I went through this nightmare 3 years ago now. Best of luck to everyone!
I thought I would add my 2 cents to the site number question from my experience. I do think the relationship is causal. The reason being is that there is only so much you can do within a month or 2 of time in terms of interviews. If you get to a point where you have too many interviews, both your ability to schedule them and the quality of your interviewing drops. I think we'd all like to think that we can grit our teeth and plug through the process, and do the interviews well, but human factors like exhaustion from travel, bad food, no money, illness, kick in and your ability to interview well and have a "spark" about you that is interested, engaged, and committed diminishes. I would recommend keeping it under 18 sites at the very least. 15 if you can.

I hope you all are signed up for the APPIC e-mails...but in case you are not...

=====

SHOULD I CONSIDER ATTENDING A NON-ACCREDITED OR NON-APPIC MEMBER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM?

It is important to state up front that there are excellent internship programs that are accredited and/or APPIC members, as well as excellent programs that are not accredited nor APPIC members. And, many students attend non-accredited or non-APPIC member programs each year and experience little or no difficulty with their future employment or licensure.

However, some students who attend such programs do experience difficulties with licensure and/or employment. It is imperative that students understand the potential risks and limitations in attending a non-accredited and/or non-APPIC member internship program. For an extensive discussion of these issues, see:

http://www.appic.org/Match/FAQs/Applicants/Eligibility-and-Participation#q3

=====

IF I ATTEND A NON-ACCREDITED INTERNSHIP PROGRAM, IS IT ACCEPTABLE TO APPLY FOR AND ATTEND A SECOND, ACCREDITED INTERNSHIP IN A FUTURE YEAR?

Students should NOT accept a non-accredited and/or non-APPIC member internship with the hope of re-applying for an accredited internship in a future year. Given the imbalance between applicants and positions, it is very unlikely that internship Training Directors would fill an internship position with a student who has already completed another internship. And, this is true no matter how experienced or qualified the student may be.

Thus, students should plan on completing one, and only one, internship.

More information is at:

http://www.appic.org/Match/FAQs/Applicants/Eligibility-and-Participation#q4

=====

IS IT ACCEPTABLE TO COMPLETE THE INTERNSHIP AFTER THE DOCTORAL DEGREE HAS BEEN AWARDED?

Students who participate in the APPIC Match must be admitted to a doctoral program in professional psychology (i.e., clinical, counseling, or school psychology) that requires internship training, and must expect to complete practicum experience by the start of internship. Thus, individuals who graduate without an internship should NOT expect to be eligible to participate in future APPIC Matches.

There is an exception to this rule for individuals who are engaged in a re-specialization program in professional psychology (i.e., doctoral-level psychologists who are completing a re-specialization program in an area other than that emphasized in their original training). Other exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis, including graduates of programs that do not require an internship.

More information on this policy may be found at the APPIC Policies page:

http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/APPIC-Policies

From this page, click on the "Intern Applicant Policy." Individuals who have questions or concerns about this policy may wish to use APPIC's "Informal Problem Consultation" process (www.appic.org, click on "Problem Consultation").

Several of the sites I am planning to apply to ask for case summaries. I've done variations of these for classes, practicums, etc so not sure what is the ideal format. Any thoughts on what are the main areas that the summaries should cover (i.e. presenting problem, developmental history, DSM-IV diagnosis, case conceptualization, treatment goals)? Thanks!

Several of the sites I am planning to apply to ask for case summaries. I've done variations of these for classes, practicums, etc so not sure what is the ideal format. Any thoughts on what are the main areas that the summaries should cover (i.e. presenting problem, developmental history, DSM-IV diagnosis, case conceptualization, treatment goals)? Thanks!

Well, you could potentially tailor it to a site, but by andlarge what you mentioned should suffice.

I think the most important thing is to be concise, writewell, and to give a picture of the patient or client. Something that will helpthe reader get a sense of they are.

You could send a different one for adult or child places, orif you worked with a specific population and the site focuses on it, that mayalso be good (substance abuse, SPMI, college counseling population…) – but again,most sites want to know that you can write well and that you know how topresent a case. And that’s about it.

Also, not too long – most would not read more than 3-4pages.

I went through this nightmare 3 years ago now. Best of luck to everyone!
I thought I would add my 2 cents to the site number question from my experience. I do think the relationship is causal. The reason being is that there is only so much you can do within a month or 2 of time in terms of interviews. If you get to a point where you have too many interviews, both your ability to schedule them and the quality of your interviewing drops. I think we'd all like to think that we can grit our teeth and plug through the process, and do the interviews well, but human factors like exhaustion from travel, bad food, no money, illness, kick in and your ability to interview well and have a "spark" about you that is interested, engaged, and committed diminishes. I would recommend keeping it under 18 sites at the very least. 15 if you can.

I am an intern now - and yes, it's quite the nightmare to go through this process.

I would say I disagree with you, though. Maybe 3 years ago 15 applications were enough and I do not know where you're applying - but I applied to 21 last year and I do not regret it.

It is becoming more and more competitive, especially in urban places where there are a few psychology programs that compete with each other.

It's better to get too many interviews than too little. I think 10-15 interviews are manageable, especially if they are at a relatively contained area. I also feel like for some people, they improve from one interview to the next and kind of get into a pace where as in the first couple they are less confident…However, maybe if you apply in a few different locations you should make your list shorter. Traveling all over the palce is hard...

My 2 cents - between 18-22 places...

I am also a super stressed uber-nerd so I needed to feel that I covered al lmy bases

J

I am an intern now - and yes, it's quite the nightmare to go through this process.

I would say I disagree with you, though. Maybe 3 years ago 15 applications were enough and I do not know where you're applying - but I applied to 21 last year and I do not regret it.

It is becoming more and more competitive, especially in urban places where there are a few psychology programs that compete with each other.

It's better to get too many interviews than too little. I think 10-15 interviews are manageable, especially if they are at a relatively contained area. I also feel like for some people, they improve from one interview to the next and kind of get into a pace where as in the first couple they are less confident…However, maybe if you apply in a few different locations you should make your list shorter. Traveling all over the palce is hard...

I am also a super stressed uber-nerd so I needed to feel that I covered al lmy bases

J

That is true, perhaps there is a geographic distance variable at play. I applied over a large regional area, and so had to travel around quite a bit. It didn't work out that my interviews lined up so that I could go in a straight line from one to the other, either, which was unfortunate, so I ended up backtracking and paying for flights when I could have driven had the interviews lined up geographically. I think that if you're going for a smaller urban area, you can probably up the numbers. But, I also think that spreading it out too much takes away from what you can give. I applied to 17 sites, had 11 interviews. It was exhausting...I do agree that one hits a bit of a groove with it after the first couple, but also I think there's a bell shaped curve. Too many, and performace drops IMO. Of course, you're also right, the game is different and harder now than it was even three years ago.

In general, the number of internship slots has not increased over the past few years. However, it seems that on average, applicants are submitting more applications. Ultimately, doesn't this actually hurt the process for everyone?

Say that you're a very top internship site, and you usually get 200 applications, from which you interview 50 applicants. If each of those applicants has applied to 15 sites, and gotten 10 interviews, the places they're interviewing are probably a reasonably good fit in terms of interests, so your site will probably end up in their rankings. But now, say that you get 300 applications. You still only have the time and resources to interview 50 of them, so you have to reject a lot more of them. And it's going to take much longer to weed out applications, so you have less time to devote to each one. Because your site is now more selective (only 17% get an interview, not 25%), the people that you interview are more competitive, and since they applied to more sites, the odds that your site is going to be a good fit/high on their rankings are now smaller.

Plus, you've got all of the applicants who would normally have made the interview cut at your site, but aren't quite strong enough now that the applicant pool has grown. They're having to apply to more sites to compensate for this fact, which means that "second tier" (for lack of a better phrase) sites are now experiencing the same problem, where they're getting more applications and thus rejecting more applicants. So next year, everybody applies to even more sites, and the cycle keeps repeating. On a general level, the odds of matching haven't increased, but everyone's having to spend a lot more time and money on applications and interviews.

Just my 2 cents. It almost seems like limiting the number of sites everyone applies to would ultimately help the process, though I know there's no practical or fair way to do this.

Hi all,

This is my second time applying for internship. Last year, I received interviews at a few sites, and in doing so, found that I really liked them quite a bit. I would like to apply to some of those same sites, but I am worried about my chances since I clearly did not match.

Any thoughts?

Have any of you known a person to apply to a site for the second time and then matched there?

In general, the number of internship slots has not increased over the past few years. However, it seems that on average, applicants are submitting more applications. Ultimately, doesn't this actually hurt the process for everyone?

Say that you're a very top internship site, and you usually get 200 applications, from which you interview 50 applicants. If each of those applicants has applied to 15 sites, and gotten 10 interviews, the places they're interviewing are probably a reasonably good fit in terms of interests, so your site will probably end up in their rankings. But now, say that you get 300 applications. You still only have the time and resources to interview 50 of them, so you have to reject a lot more of them. And it's going to take much longer to weed out applications, so you have less time to devote to each one. Because your site is now more selective (only 17% get an interview, not 25%), the people that you interview are more competitive, and since they applied to more sites, the odds that your site is going to be a good fit/high on their rankings are now smaller.

Plus, you've got all of the applicants who would normally have made the interview cut at your site, but aren't quite strong enough now that the applicant pool has grown. They're having to apply to more sites to compensate for this fact, which means that "second tier" (for lack of a better phrase) sites are now experiencing the same problem, where they're getting more applications and thus rejecting more applicants. So next year, everybody applies to even more sites, and the cycle keeps repeating. On a general level, the odds of matching haven't increased, but everyone's having to spend a lot more time and money on applications and interviews.

Just my 2 cents. It almost seems like limiting the number of sites everyone applies to would ultimately help the process, though I know there's no practical or fair way to do this.

This was brought up in last year's thread as well, and from what I remember, the majority of the posters there agreed with what you're saying--that the increased number of applications per applicant is placing significantly greater strain on the overall system, much of which internship sites might not yet be prepared to deal with. I've mentioned before that I'd be in favor of developing/implementing some sort of cap on the number of applications possible for this reason, as the electronic process makes it much easier to submit materials than previously when hard copies were required.

I can certainly understand why applicants are submitting more applications, particularly when the process is already anxiety-provoking. Imagine that you've sent in 15 apps, for example, and then you hear from friends/colleagues/listserves that plenty of people are sending out 25-30; of course you're going to feel as though you're at a possible disadvantage, and at the very least, might see if you can't find an extra site or two that would fit. However, if there were a system-wide limit, then applicants would be spared from at least this one neurosis-inducing component.

Hi all,

This is my second time applying for internship. Last year, I received interviews at a few sites, and in doing so, found that I really liked them quite a bit. I would like to apply to some of those same sites, but I am worried about my chances since I clearly did not match.

Any thoughts?

Have any of you known a person to apply to a site for the second time and then matched there?

I'd definitely recommend re-applying if you feel that the sites are still a good fit for you. Most TDs seem to understand just how competitive the process has become, and given their inside perspective on the matter, they also appreciate how slim the difference can be between someone they ranked as #1 (who matched) vs. #3 or #4 (who may not have matched).

From APPIC Match news re: the number of applications relative to probability of matching:

APPIC MATCH NEWS
---

Many applicants struggle with the question of how many internship applications to submit in order to maximize their chances of being matched. Due to concerns about "Supply and Demand" issues, some applicants might assume that sending out a greater number of applications means a greater likelihood of being matched.

But does a "more is better" approach really work? Recent APPIC surveys of internship applicants have examined the relationship between the number of applications submitted and the chances of being successfully matched. Below are the results from the last four APPIC Matches (2011 and 2012 exclude Phase II placement activity):

Number of
Applications 2012 2011 2010 2009
Submitted Match Rate Match Rate Match Rate Match Rate

1 - 5 54% 62% 59% 68%
6 - 10 69% 72% 75% 75%
11 - 15 81% 83% 84% 81%
16 - 20 81% 81% 81% 81%
21 or more 77% 81% 84% 81%

To interpret the above table: 54% of applicants who submitted between one and five applications were matched in 2012, 69% of applicants who submitted between six and ten applications were matched in 2012, and so on. These data should be interpreted cautiously, as other variables such as the number of interviews received and the number of rankings submitted may account for these differences.

As can be seen above, applying to more than 15 internship sites does not appear to increase the chances of being matched, and thus the "more is better" philosophy may have its limitations. APPIC's data has been consistent in this regard for many years. In addition, applying to five sites or less may considerably reduce the chances that one will be successfully matched.

APPIC recommends that applicants apply to between 11 and 15 sites. In fact, the pricing structure of the AAPI Online was developed specifically to keep applicants' costs low if they submit 15 or fewer applications. Applicants who submit more than 15 applications via the AAPI Online service will incur a higher per-application cost beginning with the 16th application. For more information on the fees for the AAPI Online, please see www.appic.org, click on "AAPI Online," then see the "Applicant Fees" section on that page.

Other points to consider:

1. Applying exclusively to highly-competitive sites can reduce the likelihood of being matched, regardless of the number of sites to which you apply. Information about the number of applications received in previous years by APPIC-member programs appears in the APPIC Directory Online.

2. Applicants who have significant geographic limitations on their internship search often have more difficulty getting matched, since this limitation can reduce the number of sites available to them and/or means that applicants are less likely to be a good "fit" at some of the sites to which they apply.

More results from these applicant surveys may be found at www.appic.org (click on "Match," then "Match Statistics").

Tbh, it doesn't look like there's a consistent relationship once you get above 10 sites, which is to your favor.

I'd definitely recommend re-applying if you feel that the sites are still a good fit for you. Most TDs seem to understand just how competitive the process has become, and given their inside perspective on the matter, they also appreciate how slim the difference can be between someone they ranked as #1 (who matched) vs. #3 or #4 (who may not have matched).
It is definitely worth reapplying if you see it as a good fit. The difference a year of experience and progress on a dissertation can make are significant. Sites often review (and even interview) applicants they would be happy to train, but other applicants with more experience and closer to completion win out in the final rankings. Rejection feels personal but not matching is really much more about practical facts and statistical odds and complex variables in systems that are not idiographic.

Hi all - for sites requiring a clinical work sample (intake, case report, or discharge summary), how are you all sending this information? I do not have access to intakes or discharge summaries that I completed at previous sites, and my current site would probably not allow me to use a current intake, even if de-identified. Should I just type up a new case summary for selected patient?

Hi all - for sites requiring a clinical work sample (intake, case report, or discharge summary), how are you all sending this information? I do not have access to intakes or discharge summaries that I completed at previous sites, and my current site would probably not allow me to use a current intake, even if de-identified. Should I just type up a new case summary for selected patient?

You didn't present an actual a case your whole time in grad school?

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

I too am going through this process again. I plan on reapplying to many of the same sites I received interviews with last year as they were good fits for me. There are also some sites I interviewed with last year that I will not be adding to my list this year as there were aspects of the sites the I did not like (e.g., location, unhappy interns, etc.). If you liked the site last year, it could not hurt to apply to them again, especially since you have already completed the supplementals and cover letter last year so it should only require an update as to what you have done over the last year.

Good luck in your internship application adventures.

Anyone here applying to Brown? They folded their supplemental form into the cover letter to be consistent with APPIC's new policies, providing a template for the beginning of the cover letter and suggesting that "if you have anything to add, put it after the template." Well, I have all kinds of stuff to add, but I don't want to be obnoxious. Thoughts?

Anyone here applying to Brown? They folded their supplemental form into the cover letter to be consistent with APPIC's new policies, providing a template for the beginning of the cover letter and suggesting that "if you have anything to add, put it after the template." Well, I have all kinds of stuff to add, but I don't want to be obnoxious. Thoughts?

I was just looking at that last night. I plan to include all the information I would write about in any of my other cover letters, just leading into it after the templated part.

I was just looking at that last night. I plan to include all the information I would write about in any of my other cover letters, just leading into it after the templated part.

Okay, thanks. That was my plan. Awesome.

So I'm going to a conference soon to present my dissertation and plan on trying to meet a professor at a program that I am applying to for internship since I know he'll be there, too. Never met the guy, but I'm super interested in his site for two rotations. I've already been in contact wtih the supervisor of the other rotation, and I want to make a good impression on this guy.

I'd love any thoughts/feedback you guys might have on how to best do this and how to mention "oh yeah, I'm applying to your site and a large part of that is your rotation-- say.. what all would I have the opportunity to do on that rotation." Seems really fake to me, and I'm kinda nervous about how I'm going to do it.

J

I think APPIC's math is incorrect on the 15 sites thing.

There are a LOT of applicants who apply only within one or two cities. My suspicion is that they apply to all sites in those cities, regardless of fit. The geographical restriction is typically not to Backwater, Mississippi and its two internship sites, but to a city like Chicago or Boston and their dozens of sites. So, a large number of applicants send out applications with geographical restriction, applying to all sites in a given city regardless of fit. Because of the lack of fit, most of those sites really aren't a good match and out of, say, 25 applications only, say, 5 are reasonable sites to apply to. In setting up the 15 sites recommendation, I don't think they isolated the geographical restriction/fit piece.